Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Arcadegarage
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
gearbox-clean_(resized).jpg
gearbox-nasty_(resized).jpg
detail.jpg
IMG_0483.jpg
Capture.jpg
gearbox_2.jpeg
gearbox_1.jpeg
20150914_200215.jpg
20150914_200153.jpg
20150914_200139.jpg
20150913_100119.jpg
20150913_094339.jpg
20150913_090207.jpg
20150913_090134.jpg

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

You definitely need to re-add grease after you clean. I used a synthetic grease I picked up at my local Canadian Tire... I don't think there's a Canadian Tire location in Seattle though!

Here's what I used: http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0280813P/permatex-permatex-ultra-slick-multi-purpose-synthetic-grease-85-g-reviews/reviews.htm

But its likely you'll find something similar at wal mart or any hardware store, as an example : http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Lube-Synthetic-Multipurpose-Grease/29160733

Also, when you have it apart, make sure to retighten those Allen key screws.

#52 5 years ago

Funny that this tread popped up again. I just did this over the weekend to my ToM. Trunk was slow and noisy. The hardest part of the repair was taking the game apart! My pictures looked the same as this threads; black sludge. Took less than an hour start to finish. The trunk is quiet, smooth and fast! I also rebuilt the motor in CV as well. What a difference. Everyone should do this.

Marc

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I also rebuilt the motor in CV as well.

Great, now I have to do both

2 months later
#54 4 years ago

Great thread, 1 question.

At what height should the top collar on the shaft be set at? Should it be directly under the retaining ring?

7 months later
#55 4 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I haven't psyched myself enough to do this, but for those who are allergic to wiring and Molex pins (me), this pre-made harness can save a bit of time and pain:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_33&products_id=480&zenid=cjnfqorsu54qsfr75e1763n7b6
tomtrunk.jpg

Bumping an old thread as my trunk is starting to very occasionally shut down and I plan on cleaning the gearbox. I got pretty excited to see that someone had pre-made harnesses for the trunk, but they're sold out at this point years later. Anybody else making these, or maybe just some part links for making my own?

3 weeks later
#56 4 years ago

i just removed my trunk and i want to share that even Tony Stark or Bruce Banner woukdnt bave been able to undo the 3/4 jamb nuts with a open end wrench. i absolutely had to use a socket wrench set with extender for leverage.

#57 4 years ago

Those nuts are hard to get on and off without breaking something.

Cleaned out the gearbox, relubed it, and my intermittent trunk shutdown was still happening if the trunk got hit while moving. I replaced the opto board with the wider Great Lakes one, and the problem seems solved. Hopefully that will be it, and won't need a new motor.

trunk.jpg

#58 4 years ago

I need a new motor for mine. New optos, cleaned the junk and still hangs up and sounds not so happy. Bleh.

#59 4 years ago

That sludge is harder on a motor.....new or old.

3 months later
#60 3 years ago

Thanks to CAL 50 for this outstanding post I was able to fix my trunk too. Was very loose and not aligned properly anymore. Found the issue was due to one of the set screws inside the gearbox was not tight. Thought I'd share a few more pics for those folks that maybe did not take enough during the dis-assembly process.

Also, note the pic of the 3/4" wrench removing the top 2 trunk frame nuts. It was easy when I used a box end/open end wrench, then added some torque to remove by inserting a screwdriver shaft and twisting. You'll need to hold the trunk frame at the same time or it will simply spin the gears on the motor (probably not good for it).

Wrote an "F" (see pic) with a sharpie on the "Face" or "Home" part of the the trunk frame that faces the player to make certain I re-installed it that way - it helped (my memory is short)

I added my aluminum opto interrupter (bought it ages ago) and alignment was fairly straightforward and for me was driven entirely by getting the 2 nuts on top on with the trunk facing the way I had it when I removed it (home position). Then turning the opto interrupter either left or right, temporarily tightening the set screw, then running the trunk test to let it "settle". The slot in the opto interrupter will tell the motor to stop turning when it lines up with a set of optos. In my case, the opto board needed the interrupter slot to be positioned at the top (top opto, facing the flippers) in order to have the trunk in the "home" position.

Don't forget that there are 3 large washers in total at the top of the shaft (2 underneath the "top of the playfield trunk bracket" and one underneath the 2 large 3/4" trunk bracket nuts to go between the nuts and the bracket itself)

Wish I could remember which way turning the interrupter impacted which direction the trunk then "moved" but you'll see it as soon as you try it and I did not have to move it much (3/8" maybe). What you're doing is moving the "slot" on the interrupter that then allows the shaft to rotate to a new position. In other words, you're not "moving" anything when you adjust the orientation of the trunk, your just setting the opto slot to a spot that delivers an optimum trunk alignment (hope that made sense)

20150913_094520.jpg20150913_094725.jpg20150913_093515.jpg20150913_090134.jpg20150913_090207.jpg20150913_094339.jpg20150913_100119.jpg

#61 3 years ago

Great pics, thnx for sharing. Can i ask if you can post a closeup showing the bulb socket inside the trunk? I'm having problems wiring it up correctly (is there a diode?) and it keeps messing with the lamp matrix.
Sorry for derailing the thread but it's still part of the trunk
Thanks a lot!
Cheers

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

Great pics, thnx for sharing. Can i ask if you can post a closeup showing the bulb socket inside the trunk? I'm having problems wiring it up correctly (is there a diode?) and it keeps messing with the lamp matrix.
Sorry for derailing the thread but it's still part of the trunk
Thanks a lot!
Cheers

I'll shoot a pic tonight. Yes, there is a diode

#63 3 years ago

Awesome, thnx a lot!

#64 3 years ago

It has a 1N4004 diode on one leg (the red wire) of the lamp. That diode is then protected by standard issue plastic tubing to prevent shorting inside the trunk. Not a word about the wire nuts from anyone ... I've got proper connectors on the way 20150914_200139.jpg20150914_200153.jpg20150914_200215.jpg

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Not a word about the wire nuts from anyone ...

Doesn't look too bad
Thnx a lot, solves my problem!
Cheers

#66 3 years ago

Just went through this process on a gearbox that hadn't been touched. Sure enough, goop/sludge. I have to admit, I wasn't thinking about the opto interrupter at all during the process, and installed it the way it was when I took it apart. As far as I can tell, the trunk is aligned properly.

As I did this, I noticed the cable connecting the motor and motor control board was soldered on, so I took the time to replace with quick disconnects on the motor side and a molex connector on the board side.

gearbox_1.jpeg

After cleaning/de-carbing the gearbox and superlubing it, it definitely runs faster and quiet. Here are a photo of the inside of the dirty gearbox for your disgusting pleasure.

gearbox_2.jpeg

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

It has a 1N4004 diode on one leg (the red wire) of the lamp. That diode is then protected by standard issue plastic tubing to prevent shorting inside the trunk. Not a word about the wire nuts from anyone ... I've got proper connectors on the way :naughty:20150914_200139.jpg 20150914_200153.jpg 20150914_200215.jpg

Fixed the wire nuts. In case you want to do the same and put a proper connector on there the Marco parts are as follows:

Capture.JPG

You'll need to add some male .062 connectors too (I had some already). The Marco number is:
Crimp terminal .062 inch Male round #CT062M

If you don't have one, it's time to get the proper tool to remove the wires/pins from the white plastic housing

Marco has them: EXTRACTOR TOOL 0.62 INCH #77-PET62

detail.jpg

IMG_0483.JPG

4 months later
#68 3 years ago

Well, I finally got around to doing this tonight. I had the house to myself for a while tonight, and I was waiting to clean the gearbox and replace my opto board with the one with the integrated "Leon" fix at the same time. (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-trunk-error-leons-fix-anyone-done-this). Anyway, my grease looked nasty, but wasn't like "taffy" as others had described. It was definitely thicker than the grease that I replaced it with (the "Super Lube" as shown on page 1 of this thread).

Anyway, I have before and after photos. I might have gone a bit crazy with the fresh grease, but it seemed like about the same amount as what I removed, but just more evenly distributed.
nasty
all freshened up

Honestly I can't say that the trunk moves any/much faster as it never seemed slow before, but it was just a matter of time before the old stuff got stiff and became a problem.

2 months later
#69 3 years ago

My ToM trunk motor registered an error message and although I hear the motor on starting up the game, but the trunk doesn't move. So, I just took the motor gear mech apart and cleaned out the old dark lube and applied newer lube. However, I need to ask a question before putting it all back together.

How does the small motor move such a large gear? Especially since the small gear that sits on top of the motor shaft spins freely. Isn't the gear that attaches to the motor shaft supposed to be tight?

#70 3 years ago
#71 3 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

How does the small motor move such a large gear? Especially since the smallest gear that sits on top of the motor shaft spins freely.

The gear that is on the motor shaft should be a tight press fit onto the motor shaft. It shouldn't spin on the shaft. Gear reduction is what makes it possible for a tiny motor to spin the large trunk. Just like a 10 speed bike (apart from the chain)

#72 3 years ago

Well, that may be the problem with my TOM trunk gear box then, the small gear that fits onto the motor shaft is not tight at all, it's fairly loose actually. Anyone have an idea where I can either get a new gear or a motor/motor shaft? Or, how to fix this problem?

#73 3 years ago

I got a new motor with gear and Molex connector all ready to go from Kimball pinballs last year. You have to email him directly as thay are not on his website, he might be making them as thay are ordered perhaps. It was about $90
Or you could blue locktite the gear to the motor that might get it working.
If you can get the new motor I highly recommend that route.

#74 3 years ago

I was having a great game last night. One more illusion to start Wiz mode....and my trunk stopped spinning. Shut it off/on and works fine. Arrr, that was frustrating.

1 month later
#75 3 years ago

Just fully cleaned the junk in my trunk! Thanks for the thread!

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

6 months later
#76 2 years ago

Thanks good info.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside