(Topic ID: 158369)

If you're not playing Road Show, you are missing out!

By altan

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 142 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by altan
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image.gif
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Screen_Shot_2016-04-29_at_2.41.16_PM.png
IMG_6961_(2).jpg
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

(Background: I purchased and restored Road Show 10 years ago. In the past 9 months I've hardly played any pinball. I recently played some at a friend's house and got the bug... I went back to my collection and Road Show is my favorite at the moment! So I thought I'd share and hype it a little as it doesn't get the love it deserves)

If you aren't playing Road Show, you are missing out. I'm having as much fun playing Road Show as I did playing MMr, WoZ, TZ, IH, RBION, T2, WH2O... Give his pin a look (or a second look) if you've skipped it.

It's a wide body with great flow.
Ramp shots come back at you and may be diverted to different locations
It has 4 flipper baby!
Red and Ted and well integrated into the game, just not pretty faces. Their interaction with multi ball is great
Ted's bulldozer is a nice toy
The DMD is quite good for a game of this era
As are the sound effects
And yes, I even really like the music
Tons of modes (cities, like 15+) plus the "Wheel" with lots of goodies
The "flying rocks" left plunger that give you 4 targets to shoot (including the big "donk" if you his Ted's head)
The left ramp is a solid and fun shot, not particularly difficult
The right ramp requires some skill and is rewarding
The center loop is challenging to me
The lock / spinner / Bob's Souvenir Bunker shot feels perfect.
The sound and animation when the spinner is spinning is a great match
Shooting the "blast zone" with the little flipper is always a "blast"
Oh, shaker baby! If any game needed a shaker, it's roadshow. Very well integrated.
Multiball is one of the most fun of the games I've played
The various modes are fun in themselves
Deep but accessible rules

And most importantly, the gameplay is great. The shot difficulty is varied and well designed. There is flow, but there is also appropriate stops in action.

So maybe I'm just in a "I love it because I've rediscovered it" phase. But I'm thinking Road Show doesn't get the love it deserves. Skip that 6k (or 9k) new game and find yourself a road show! You get a lot of pin and fun for the money.

... Altan
www.aaarpinball.com

#2 7 years ago

Agreed. I had one and miss it.

#3 7 years ago

Road show is such a good game have had 3 of them and would pick up another if the right deal came up

#4 7 years ago

Shhhhh! The music sucks or something! Keep it under wraps!

It's "totally" reasonable that Road Show is often <$3k when it's a Pat Lawlor 90s B/W game thats more loaded than any other game out there.

#5 7 years ago

My wife doesn't share my "enthusiasm" in the hobby but RS is her favorite in my meager lineup.

#6 7 years ago

I bought one in very decent condition 5 years ago for $900. I won't see this again in my lifetime.

#7 7 years ago

I used to not like this game at all. Ran into a very nice one about a year ago and there is a lot more to the game than you think. Once you get used to the layout, it's really fun.

#8 7 years ago

I <3 Road Show ...just full of charm, character, and fun!

#9 7 years ago

I love mine!

#10 7 years ago

Sold mine long ago, couldn't deal with the linear gameplay. However I ended up buying one for my dad (He LOVES it) and am almost done getting it fixed up and playable. Definitely one of the more PITA games to shop.

#11 7 years ago

I owned it for many years and played it a lot. Yes it's a great game but the only negative was starting on the same modes since I'm not that good of a player.

I sold it for a rotation of games.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Definitely one of the more PITA games to shop.

I'm getting ready to do a playfield swap on mine, and I'm not looking forward to it

#13 7 years ago

Had it for year and a half but it lost its luster eventually. Great bang for buck pin but I like my congo , tz, bsd and my sterns alot better. I think the theme grew old for me . Great pin that id own again for the right price

#14 7 years ago

Absolutely loved mine and played it to death before selling it. I'd probably put it in my personal top 5.

The only knock on it is always having to start in either New York or Miami. Wish there was a ROM where you can choose your region (East, Central, West) before the first plunge just to add a hair of diversity, but it's an incredible game aside from that.

Oh yeah, and I hate country, but I LOVE the music in RS! Red and Ted are super funny and the music just fits perfectly.

#15 7 years ago

This was the game that got me hooked on pinball when I was in Junior High. Had one and sold it last year, WHY??!!

#16 7 years ago

had a nice one years back, good layout, but the music and hick call outs ruined it for me so I sold it. It is good bang for your buck however.

#17 7 years ago

I used to not like it because of the dual heads. Friend of mine bought it....and wow...what a great game.

#18 7 years ago

Shhhh.........
Hate to admit it, but I love the music.
Sweet game and I think it's very underrated.

#19 7 years ago

Lots of modes, lots of great shots, lots of toys. Thought I was going to just play it and trade it but now it's the second longest standing game in my collection.

#20 7 years ago

Only pin in my collection that I sold and had to get it back. Just a blast to play and the "sleeper" of my collection.

#21 7 years ago

Yep agreed, I sold mine to a mate so I can fund a Tspp , don't totally regret it because I sold it to a mate so I can still have access to it, but damn I miss that game when it's not around, it can be very brutal when it wants to be, there's heaps going on in it, the story line is fantastic !!! Buying and selling souvenirs is a trip, secretmania is a blast, so many modes, love how pat lawlor incorporates multiball in some modes, an that shaker gets hectic!! Totally agree , awsome game, glad to hear your enjoying on, like a mosquito on a Mack truck!!!!!!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Shhhhh! The music sucks or something! Keep it under wraps!

Cat is out of the bag!

Quoted from Rarehero:

I <3 Road Show ...just full of charm, character, and fun!

Excellent description... 100% agree with the charm, character and fun.

Quoted from mrmark0673:

The only knock on it is always having to start in either New York or Miami

This doesn't bother me at all. Why don't people complain about random modes? RoadShow is telling a story about driving across the USA. You need to start on the East...

Quoted from RCA1:

Hate to admit it, but I love the music

Me too! And it's high quality

Quoted from Sammy31:

Thought I was going to just play it and trade it but now it's the second longest standing game in my collection.

Smart man. It's been in my collection for 10 years or so.

#23 7 years ago

Awesome Game! A keeper here and worth several evenings a month of non stop play and joy!
Dialed in...its Amazing!

#24 7 years ago

My first game, and yep, I love it too. Hate country, but the music here isn't anywhere near as annoying as some people seem to complain about.

The clunk from the Bob's bunker shot is sooooo satisfying, and when you nail the left ramp, left ramp with bridge out, right ramp with bridge out, mini flipper into blast zone hole, is one of the best combos ever.

#25 7 years ago

The PinMation(tm) talking heads is one of the coolest toys to be integrated into game play. Sadly I don't think you will ever see something like this done again and this is why I love my Roadshow. I've had it for almost 5 years and never even crossed my mind once to ever sell it. I don't mind the country music because I think it suits the theme well. I made my own dual beacon interactive topper similar to Dave's from pinballtoppers.com. They are set to go off when you start multi-ball, jackpot, left plunger lane for flying rocks and the top roll over switch when you hit the right ramp and it feeds back to the mini left flipper.

I documented exactly what I did here for those who want to build their own.
http://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/red-teds-roadshow-interactive-dual-beacon-topper.4002/

#26 7 years ago

The "music" complaint is so lame. It plays half of a song by Carline Carter during multiball. The rest of the music is outstanding. I will own another some day.

#27 7 years ago

Fantastic game with so much going on and a great sense of humor. Almost sold her last year to feed my never ending desire for more. Once I added the shaker that was missing in mine she became a keeper... for now

#28 7 years ago

The linear game play will eventually grate on you - Miami and New York over and over and over really sucks.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

I made my own dual beacon interactive topper similar to Dave's from pinballtoppers.com. They are set to go off when you start multi-ball, jackpot, left plunger lane for flying rocks and the top roll over switch when you hit the right ramp and it feeds back to the mini left flipper.

Heh, I have been thinking about doing the same exact thing, the pinball toppers model is too tall for my room, but I was thinking using a audrino

Quoted from Deez:

The linear game play will eventually grate on you - Miami and New York over and over and over really sucks.

New York gets a little annoying, but Miami is fine, you can really rack up the points banging the hell out of the spinner.

#30 7 years ago

Linear gameplay makes logical sense...but still causes so many tears.

#31 7 years ago

I sold mine and do not miss it. I find it boring.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from purplemunkydishw:

New York gets a little annoying, but Miami is fine, you can really rack up the points banging the hell out of the spinner.

It's not that the modes suck. It's that you play them over and over. I had a road show for 2 years and was just done with it. I think the layout is great, but the linear game play is the one thing that made me grow to hate it.

#33 7 years ago

YOU WILL REMOVE THAT DULL MODER FROM THE RULESHEET!

#34 7 years ago

I have a beautiful Road Show and I love the pin. You'll never see anything like it in pinball again. The layout has a ton of great shots and the left ramp > left ramp > right ramp through the pops > blast zone shot is one of my favorite combos in all of pinball.

I love RS or as my kids call it, Double Funhouse.

#35 7 years ago

Disagree. Lawlors worst game of the 1990s

It's just missing that certain something that makes it less appealing than his other games.

Code is very unappealing and not a big fan of the modes/sounds or theme.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's just missing that certain something that makes it less appealing than his other games.
Code is very unappealing and not a big fan of the modes/sounds or theme.

You just broke Red's heart

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Up against NGG for sure. Linear gameplay vs wacky all over the place rules.

EDIT: Forgot T2 which is by far the worst now...but I'll let it slide do to it's importance for the time

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Up against NGG for sure. Linear gameplay vs wacky all over the place rules.
EDIT: Forgot T2 which is by far the worst now...but I'll let it slide do to it's importance for the time

Lawlor had nothing to do with t2. And if you mean TZ your opinion is not important to me.

Ngg is a little wacky but it's much more fun. That's my ultimate litmus test.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lawlor had nothing to do with t2. And if you mean TZ your opinion is not important to me.
Ngg is a little wacky but it's much more fun. That's my ultimate litmus test.

Ha..no TZ is my highest Rated. Funny I threw T2 in there...SR's worst 90s. I meant FH, which is a game I've never really loved, but respect it...same way I feel aboot TAF.

Anyway...It's tougher for me then it first looks. NGG is a little more "fun" to play that RS, but it's a total mess and the rules are bunk.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

The "music" complaint is so lame. It plays half of a song by Carline Carter during multiball. The rest of the music is outstanding. I will own another some day.

Not really. I like the look and play of this one and Fish Tales, but wouldn't buy either as I can't get past the soundtracks.

#41 7 years ago

If you are reading this and have a Road Show nearby, stop reading and go play game!

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Not really. I like the look and play of this one and Fish Tales, but wouldn't buy either as I can't get past the soundtracks.

Man I just can't understand how some people don't get the brilliance of the Fish Tales music. That digital bluegrass music is just ingenious and sounds fantastic.

#43 7 years ago

I am just an old burn-out 60's acid rocker, don't do country or bluegrass or any of that stuff.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I am just an old burn-out 60's acid rocker, don't do county or bluegrass or any of that stuff.

Smoke a fat one and listen to some fish tales music. You'll like it!

#45 7 years ago

Might take a couple of fat boys and a half a tab...

#46 7 years ago

Agreed, it's an awesome game!

Shooting Bridge-Out combos to earn the max multiplier and EB was the most addictive aspect of that game for me. There is so much to do and the multiball is great fun.

Biggest missed opportunity was not having Red's mouth open for her MB jackpot shot. Sure, it's funny the super rare times the ball goes in her mouth while she's talking during gameplay but her MB jackpot shot just bouncing off her mouth feels like a mistake. If someone re-codes this game they've got to fix this and put it to good use.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Biggest missed opportunity was not having Red's mouth open for her MB jackpot shot. Sure, it's funny the super rare times the ball goes in her mouth while she's talking during gameplay but her MB jackpot shot just bouncing off her mouth feels like a mistake. If someone re-codes this game they've got to fix this and put it to good use.

<PuzzleFace>
During multiball, you end up needing to shoot into Red's mouth
</PuzzleFace>

Still, +1 in agreement with "it's an awesome game" and the combos.

#48 7 years ago

I love mine! One of the best 90s games IMO. 18 city modes, plus flying rocks, multiball, souvenirs, the wheel, and more!

The only bummer is starting on the same two modes every game...almost a perfect game.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from altan:

<PuzzleFace>
During multiball, you end up needing to shoot into Red's mouth
</PuzzleFace>
Still, +1 in agreement with "it's an awesome game" and the combos.

No, you just have to hit her chin. Mouth insertion is not required.

#50 7 years ago

Great to see Roadshow getting some love, I think it's a great game and so much to do on it. Bowens tutorial is my favorite tutorial I've seen to date. If you haven't seen it look it up on PAPA tutorial series. No spoilers here but watch till the end.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 37.50
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-your-not-playing-road-show-you-are-missing-out?hl=boiydiego and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.