New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 91124)

If your house were on fire . . .

By Jasontaps

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Linolium
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1960.JPG
    SlimWOZ1.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Would you try to save your pin? Pretend your the only one home.
    What if it required you to damage it such as pushing it hard and fast through a narrow door way?
    How about if the only option were to drop it out a window?

I think I would be willing to deal with scratches to the cabinet on my WOZ, but I will be dammed I don't know what I would do once I get to the stairs.

Don't take this thread too serious, its just for fun

#2 6 years ago

Haha there is no way I could get my pin out of my 7th floor apartment in time. Actually laughed out loud when I thought about trying to save it. I'm weird :\

#3 6 years ago

Wouldn't care as long as my wife and dog were fine. But I get what your trying to say. How the heck would you have time to move a pin by yourself up stairs anyways? A fire scares me the most when it comes to our house. Happen to my cousin a few years ago in Colorado. Lost EVERYTHING.

#4 6 years ago

That's why we pay all that insurance right?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

Don't take this thread too serious, its just for fun

With the amount of fires we are having in So Cal right now, it is kind of hard to have fun with this and not take it seriously. Personally I just hope and pray that it never happens.

#6 6 years ago

Honest (insert your insurance agent here) All my pins were PERFECT , HUO, low plays,. This makes them worth much more than the average condition ones. The 3 you see that are unidentifiable were MM, MB,BBB.

Forget the pins, take irreplaceable items IF you have time after looking after human/pet lives.

Ed

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from sixpakmopar:

Forget the pins, take irreplaceable items IF you have time after looking after human/pet lives.Ed

Of course. Again, don't take my post seriously. Its just one of those what would you do things.
    No one wishes a fire on anyone either.

#8 6 years ago

Might be a good thing. Cut me a check.

#9 6 years ago

I'd let them all burn and shed a tear. My life > Pinball.

#10 6 years ago

Imagine having one of those gold Addams Family pins. Ouch!

#11 6 years ago

I'd Rage Tilt them all one last time

#12 6 years ago

Too many critters in the house to get out safely, and there's no easy way to get the pins out anyway. I do have pics for insurance purposes though, just in case.

#13 6 years ago

I've thought about this before, not really sure what id do, id have a flight of steps to get up in a matter of seconds/minutes, pretty sure id be SOL

#14 6 years ago

I'd be sliding down the stairs on my WOZ!

SlimWOZ1.jpg

(and for haters, don't worry, if I had time, I'd go back for Tron)

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I'd be sliding down the stairs on my WOZ!
    (and for haters, don't worry, if I had time, I'd go back for Tron)
    SlimWOZ1.jpg 20 KB

That pic is awesome

#16 6 years ago

I wasn't home to make the choice. Yes, that used to be an ACDC BIB.

IMG_1960.JPG
    #17 6 years ago

Insured them so I could just get out.
    Do not F around with personal belongings it could very well be the last thing you do!!!!!!!
    I have seen this first hand more than once. You do not want to be what your family finds in the ashes.

#18 6 years ago

Being an electrical contractor, I've been involved in a number of fire related jobs and it's a nightmare. Not only the ugly inconvenience for the homeowners but mostly how the insurance company wants to make repairs. You may feel portions of the house should be rebuilt and the insurance company says they can simply "fix" things. You also have to deal with what portion of your belongings were lost and how much should the insurance company have to pay.

My brother in law is our local fire chief and I've told him, if you ever get a call and it turns out being my address, take your time. I'd rather have it all gone, including the pins, and I'll just start over again with new everything.

#19 6 years ago

Even if they were folded and wrapped waiting to be moved, you would be unwise to risk sticking around with the smoke for too long.

It would be a shame, but with insurance, live to buy again another day.

Quoted from John_I:

Holy cow dude what happened (above the obvious)?

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

IMG_1960.JPG 170 KB

Not fun thing to even think about especially when there is proof right there it can happen. If the fire was small enough that I could even consider saving a pin, I would choose to fight the fire instead.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

IMG_1960.JPG 170 KB

That sucks and i just make sure my pins are insured

#22 6 years ago

i thought this was gonna be another if you could only save 1 pin thread, but this might even be harder, shove my fav pin out of a second floor window? cant even think of such a thing.

maybe i can cut wires and save a couple clear coated pf's maybe? one under each arm.

#23 6 years ago

Take the cannoli's leave the pins

#24 6 years ago

Not to bring anybody down, but in my 22 years as a fireman we've had a LOT of fatals because of people RE-entering a structure fire. Pets are the number one reason. Get the hell out and tell the first arriving crew where the pets are.
    And this now ends your Public Safety Announcement.

#25 6 years ago

My pins are in the garage/mancave, so I could theoretically push them out into the driveway, the lift is already stored underneath one of them.

I think I'd probably be too upset to care though.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My pins are in the garage/mancave, so I could theoretically push them out into the driveway, the lift is already stored underneath one of them.
    I think I'd probably be too upset to care though.

ahhhhhhh i like it, a real exit stragity! all ready on the lift.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigduke6:

Not to bring anybody down, but in my 22 years as a fireman we've had a LOT of fatals because of people RE-entering a structure fire. Pets are the number one reason. Get the out and tell the first arriving crew where the pets are.
    And this now ends your Public Safety Announcement.

so let me get this strait, as a fireman- forget the pets, and save my mulitballs?

#28 6 years ago

I have a heck of a time moving them around a certain corner at the top of the stairs under perfect conditions. There is no way anything could be saved, although I'd be tempted to remove the Dalek and dome from Doctor Who.

While we are on the subject, what does everyone have for fire extinguishers? What type? I have the same model extinguisher in the kitchen, garage, and game room. Is there a type that would do less damage to electronics?

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

so let me get this strait, as a fireman- forget the pets, and save my mulitballs?

Priorities my friend. You think Rover is gonna be worth $10,000 by Christmas?

#30 6 years ago

My pins are in the basement...if the place was on fire I couldn't give a damn about them. There's a few non replaceable items around the house that I would attempt to grab then get the F out.

It's pretty much the reason we pay a couple extra bucks for our insurance to add the 'replacement' policy. Our insurance agent as a list and picture of anything of value that we own. I try to update it about every 6 months...but that usually doesn't happen =)

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

Is there a type that would do less damage to electronics?

Class C - Electrical would be my guess.

#32 6 years ago

Most extinguishers for the home are class ABC ( combo ). Which is what you want. A class c is designed for energized electrical fires. As far as electronics, they all make a mess, but generally when something is on fire in your home you don't care. I keep the general ones one can find at HomeDepot ,etc at home.
    Good rule of thumb is one on each floor. -and tell your wife to stop buying candles.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigduke6:

Priorities my friend. You think Rover is gonna be worth $10,000 by Christmas?

F that. Priorities.........My dog is a family member and priceless. I'd take my family all day everyday over material possessions.

#34 6 years ago

First: I think the OP meant this for fun and not serious consideration. Imagine your in a mamoth mansion, all your family and pets have been trained to meet at the same point and have done that. On the way out they each brought all the stuff with them that you had deemed important. The fire is still very small and other the other side of your 50,000 square foot mansion from your pinballs....

Second: All the above thoughts are correct in a serious light. I've had a small fire and the last thing you think of is your stuff. I was soo lucky! My 13 yr old daughter and I heard a strange high pitch sound. It almost sounded like an electronic sound. I actually didn't pay attention to it and was about to go get dressed for church. (Sunday Morn) She came to me and asked what the sound was so I got up with her to go find it. We got to our hall where it was the loudest trying to figure out which room it was coming from. She said "do you smell something burning?" About that time I looked up at my attic stairs and saw light coming from the where the hinge area. I quickly turned to the light switch for the attic which was right behind me and saw it was off. I grabbed the rope for the stairs and pulled them open to see flames shooting out of my heating/AC unit. It was like a dragon breathing fire. I screamed FIRE to my wife. As if we had practiced it my daughter got her younger sister and the dog and cat out the door. My wife called 911 and ran for the extinguishers as did I. She handed me the first one and as I squezzed the handle it went "poof" and was dead. She handed me the second smaller one and it worked. The fire coming out of the unit went out but a few things I had set on top of it had started to ignite. I put them out as they tried to flare back up until my extinguisher went out. Luckily we don't live far from the fire station and they arrived quickly. Since I had put the main fire out they finished it with their extinguishers and didn't need to use water which saved me a TON of damage as well. The fire had started after the gas line going to the heater cracked and ignited when the AC came on. The whistle noise was the fire and gas shooting from the line which scared the hell out of me in retrospect. I was so lucky on all accounts. I can't believe I cought an attic fire before it spread and put it out!! I can't believe the gas fire went out as easy as it did. Had it happened 30 min later we would have been on the way to church and I wouldn't have had a house or anything left.

#35 6 years ago

Reminds me of a man that lost an extensive high end pinball collection.

He emailed me once. Said it didn't mean a thing. He lost his dog in that fire.

There are things in life that are important. Pinball isn't one of them.

Hopefully you won't need a disaster to learn. Cherish what you do have.

LTG : )™

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

F that. Priorities.........My dog is a family member and priceless. I'd take my family all day everyday over material possessions.

I'm not good at internet sarcasm, that was a joke. But, something to keep in mind that I found rings true. If you let a dog out the same door everyday, (to the backyard?), when theres a fire in the house and the alarm is going off at 2 in the morning and the dog goes into full panic mode they'll make for "their" exit. Its happened in the past where the families out front safe and the pet is still inside. I was on the Squad for years (s+r), my job was a secondary means of egress, ( most of the time the back door). First thing your taught to do in the academy is sweep behind the door. 9 out of 10 times the dogs are there. Now cats, they usually hide unfortunately.

#37 6 years ago

I'd get my 68 charger out the garage and then the other two cars, if possible. The rest can burn.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I'd get my 68 charger out the garage

Abso-f'ing-lutely

#39 6 years ago

I forgot to mention in my lengthy fire post above: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE EXTINGUISHER!!! I'd have lost a lot had I only had the one that failed. Thank goodness I had the second small one that worked.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

IMG_1960.JPG 170 KB

Glad you're ok. It's a shame to lose so much, but all jokes aside, being able to walk away from stuff like this is all that matters.

#41 6 years ago

Last tip- Walk around your house with a camera or video camera, record your stuff. Now heres the tuff part, leave that disc ,tape, memory card somewhere else. Folks go through the work of recording your stuff for insurance, then leave it in the file cabinet that gets destroyed in the fire.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

That's why we pay all that insurance right?

Yes that is why my pinballs are on there own insurance policy. I didn't want my wife to go crazy in a rebuild, and my pin's get left out of replacement.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Glad you're ok. It's a shame to lose so much, but all jokes aside, being able to walk away from stuff like this is all that matters.

Exactly. That was December 2012. I came home to find that I had lost every material possession in my house - my entire pinball collection - including the BIB in the picture. All I had were the shoes on my feet and clothes on my back and my Suburban. My other car was in the garage and was destroyed. I literally had to go out that night and buy clothes, toothbrush, dog food, etc and move into a friend's house until I could find a house to rent.

My girlfriend and dog got out without injury. Thank god for the dog door. The house plus the $100,000+ worth of stuff I lost that day was meaningless compared to their health. I only lost "stuff" and it all can be replaced. I have since built a much bigger, much nicer house and put together a darn nice pinball collection. I even built an awesome game room into the house with black light carpeting and an extra air conditioner to keep it cool when I have a party. Just to keep this thread happy in nature I have a link to my first party video rather than more depressing pictures of burned up pinball machines:

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Exactly. That was December 2012. I came home to find that I had lost every material possession in my house - my entire pinball collection - including the BIB in the picture. All I had were the shoes on my feet and clothes on my back and my Suburban. My other car was in the garage and was destroyed. I literally had to go out that night and buy clothes, toothbrush, dog food, etc and move into a friend's house until I could find a house to rent.
    My girlfriend and dog got out without injury. Thank god for the dog door. The house plus the $100,000+ worth of stuff I lost that day was meaningless compared to their health. I only lost "stuff" and it all can be replaced. I have since built a much bigger, much nicer house and put together a darn nice pinball collection. I even built an awesome game room into the house with black light carpeting and an extra air conditioner to keep it cool when I have a party. Just to keep this thread happy in nature I have a link to my first party video rather than more depressing pictures of burned up pinball machines:
    » YouTube video

Wow, I am really sorry hear that.
    I realize pinball machines are only an item, which is replaceable. Of course our loved ones come first.
    Another thought that came to mind was photo albums. I mean, I know most of us 45+ year olds still have tons of photos. I guess that would disturb me about loosing them. Some hard drives will withstand the heat as long as it wasn't too direct, so digital stuff might be recoverable, plus so many people use the cloud now a days.
    Where did you sleep that night of your fire?

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

» YouTube video

Awesome carpet in your gamerom. Love the blacklight effect in it!

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

The house plus the $100,000+ worth of stuff I lost that day was meaningless compared to their health

You are so right. Sorry for your loss but congrats on the attitude.

#47 6 years ago

Already had this happen for real. Wildfire wiped my neighborhood off the map. There was just no time to save pins. Loaded the dog in the car and ran back to the gameroom for 30 seconds and got video, I knew it would be handy for ins. Sucked, some doc Huo and nice restores gone in a instant. In my head I would be dragging them out and saving them somehow but that's not how it panned out

#48 6 years ago

My dogs come first. If I thought I could get anything else out, it wouldn't likely be a pinball. It takes a lot of effort to get it out of the basement when I'm not rushed. I don't think I could even disconnect wires and simply pull playfields out.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

First: I think the OP meant this for fun and not serious consideration.

Exactly.

#50 6 years ago

Assuming my cat is also not around (which is unlikely and would be the first and only thing I worry about), I would save my dev server and dev computer first. Then, if there's still time, attempt to pull my prototype playfields out of the garage. Other machines can be replaced.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6,750.00
    Pinball Machine
    Guns N' Roses (SE) Out of stock
    The Pinball Place
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Judge Dredd Translite Out of stock
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Other
    Ramp-O-Matic
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 75.00
    $ 65.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Haus
    $ 170.96
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    JURASSIC PARK PREMIUM Out of stock
    The Pinball Place
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Decals
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Led
    B & K Mods
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 599.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Stranger Things Topper Out of stock
    Great American Pinball
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 63.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside