(Topic ID: 49088)

If Your Game For Sale In The Forum Is Overpriced...

By jalpert

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th_UncleKevin.jpg
    freecandy.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Why doesn't everyone just do the smart thing and move on from the posts they disagree with? If so there would be a lot less of all this crap!

Because people like you are so easy to get a rise out of? Those threads only pile up because people like you feed the trolls like it's buy-one-get-one-free bait night.

Seriously, the threads only get stupid when the price police police come out of the woodworks, riding in their motorized moderation armchairs, banging gavels. Then Send In The Clowns starts playing and people just have too much fun to move on.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

The negativity in this place (when it comes to anything relating to money) is off putting.

Some people find overpriced games off putting. It matters to them. That's the cool thing about forums, everyone gets their own opinion.

Maybe I've missed it, has there been a thread where Robin or the mods asked people to stop commenting on FS prices?

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Read the rules and you wont get banned for life - enough of the Price Police BS already

Serious question: Is there a rule about commenting on prices? With or without the snark and sarcasm? I have zero problem respecting moderation, I moderate one of the older forums on the internet, nothing but love for the time mods spend on herding cats.

But so far I feel like all I'm seeing is armchair mods being mad that things aren't exactly the way they'd like them. If there's a moderation clarification in the rules that I'm missing I'd appreciate it.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

- I really don't know what your talking about or what you are trying to prove?

Certain vocal but minority members of the community would like to tell everyone else what they may or may not do in a FS thread. I'm simply asking if there was a rule I was missing about commenting that a price is too high. The answer appears to be no.

That said, the constant back and forth in these threads is certainly pushing things off the "be nice" rails. Doesn't really matter who's fault that is at the end of the day, both sides are gleefully going at each other. I've added all of the "price superheroes" to my ignore list so I can tune out their attempts to tell everyone how to act, that's your job, not theirs.

That's all.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

If there is an honest need to want to educate the seller about the market for a particular pin, DO IT IN A PM.

But then the education doesn't go the community as a whole. I say this as someone who wants to see it, not someone who needs to always be dishing it out. Meaning I for one appreciate people saying that the price is too high. I read FS threads for games I have zero interest in or intention of buying because I like to learn.

Think about it. If someone was new to the hobby the first place they'd probably look is eBay. It's the logical first stop for used collectibles. If you then found Pinside and started reading up you'd quickly realize that eBay prices are inflated beyond even an inflated market. That's knowledge that's helpful. By trying to suppress these comments you lose out on that. All for what? So that a seller can hope for someone who isn't informed enough to pay their price?

Are the price police always right? Of course not. Some games command more money. Condition, location, modifications, there are lots of factors. But the conversation is part of the learning process. And it has been noted there's a dedicated market area where no one can comment on a thing if you so choose. I look at it all the time, and so do plenty of other people I'm sure.

#137 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

The problem I see, as was pointed out above, is that a lot of members here have their threshold set too low.

Sure, fine, whatever. Everyone has an opinion and experience. I think we all know someone who's here constantly calling everything overpriced, no matter what. He's not gonna get banned for it, that's his thing and we live with it. That's life in a forum.

If that $3900 Shadow was like HUO only or something then you could say "hey, I know it seems like a lot, but this is an exception to the rule, you don't see these, you need to adjust your expectations". But it wasn't. I'm talking with someone right now about a deal for a nicer machine than that one for around a thousand less, which is frankly already the high end of the spectrum. Hell, I should be motivated to see it sell that high! I've got my deal already, I could be a d!¢k and cheerlead that on! GET ME MOAR MONIES. But it was a garbage price and I'm glad people pointed it out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-your-game-for-sale-in-the-forum-is-overpriced?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.