(Topic ID: 49088)

If Your Game For Sale In The Forum Is Overpriced...

By jalpert

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 140 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by absocountry2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th_UncleKevin.jpg
    freecandy.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

If your game for sale in the forum is overpriced, some people might post saying so. If they're wrong, people will let them know as well.

If your game for sale in the forum is under priced, people might post saying so. If they're wrong, people will let them know as well.

What's so wrong with either? When I post games for sale, I invite critique. However, I'm just looking for a fair price, I'm not looking to squeeze every last penny I can out of people. From what I can tell, unless your price is really out of line, most for sale posts remain mellow around here.

#2 6 years ago

There are ways to say things and there are ways to say things. Being an !@#$ about it is not the best way. Also, creating a second account so you can give your primary a thumbs up after trolling is also not the way to do it. This is not directed at you.

#3 6 years ago

I know, I don't pull that stuff. But aren't people like that the exception?

Quoted from SealClubber:

There are ways to say things and there are ways to say things. Being an !@#$ about it is not the best way. Also, creating a second account so you can give your primary a thumbs up after trolling is also not the way to do it. This is not directed at you.

#4 6 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP and sealclubber

#5 6 years ago

To me there are many issues with people ripping on others pricing.. Each Market is different.. Mid-West / Chicago area is cheaper then say West Coast and Cali. In some parts the Difference in price can be as much as 25%. Few people are experts in the entire CONT USA pinball Market (I'm not for sure) Most of us know our market and maybe a few other markets around us. Before I comment on anyone's whats my game worth thread I look at where they are from, look for what games like that have been selling for in my area then try and adjust it to the market they are selling it in.

JJ

#6 6 years ago
    #7 6 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

If your game for sale in the forum is overpriced, some people might post saying so. If they're wrong, people will let them know as well.
    If your game for sale in the forum is under priced, people might post saying so. If they're wrong, people will let them know as well.
    What's so wrong with either? When I post games for sale, I invite critique. However, I'm just looking for a fair price, I'm not looking to squeeze every last penny I can out of people. From what I can tell, unless your price is really out of line, most for sale posts remain mellow around here.

Why can't you do what you just did here? START YOUR OWN POST! Instead of crashing the FS Post start your own post and discuss it. You just did it here, make it a habit...

#8 6 years ago

Jalpert,

I noticed there's a 13,500 Tron LE thread you haven't policed yet. The community needs you to step in and protect us!

-JB

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

To me there are many issues with people ripping on others pricing.. Each Market is different.. Mid-West / Chicago area is cheaper then say West Coast and Cali. In some parts the Difference in price can be as much as 25%. Few people are experts in the entire CONT USA pinball Market (I'm not for sure) Most of us know our market and maybe a few other markets around us. Before I comment on anyone's whats my game worth thread I look at where they are from, look for what games like that have been selling for in my area then try and adjust it to the market they are selling it in.
    JJ

Exactly... I doubt some of these guys will understand any of this but we can only hope!

#10 6 years ago

?. If someone started a thread to comment on an existing post because you don't feel the comment is appropriate, there would be a lot of posts. Would you create a "What Would Teekee do" flowchart for deciding such things? How would that work?

More questions than answers.

Quoted from teekee:

Why can't you do what you just did here? START YOUR OWN POST! Instead of crashing the FS Post start your own post and discuss it. You just did it here, make it a habit...

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Also, creating a second account so you can give your primary a thumbs up after trolling is also not the way to do it. This is not directed at you.

That was funny.

#12 6 years ago

I have no idea if that's a good price or not. Unlike some others here, I don't pretend to know everything.

So, just so I understand, if I have an opinion on the sale I'm not allowed to give it? Would I be breaking the sites rules or just the rules you create out of thin air?

Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Jalpert,

I noticed there's a 13,500 TRON LE thread you haven't policed yet. The community needs you to step in and protect us!

-JB

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

?. If someone started a thread to comment on an existing post because you don't feel the comment is appropriate, there would be a lot of posts. Would you create a "What Would Teekee do" flowchart for deciding such things? How would that work?
    More questions than answers.

Why doesn't everyone just do the smart thing and move on from the posts they disagree with? If so there would be a lot less of all this crap!

#14 6 years ago

If you want to move on, you should do that. Why do you feel like you can try and make people do things when they aren't breaking any rules? Isn't that what moderators are for, to enforce the rules?

Sellers have the right to sell things for whatever they want, and in a discussion forum posters have the right to comment (at least by this sites rules, I guess they aren't rights).

Quoted from teekee:

Why doesn't everyone just do the smart thing and move on from the posts they disagree with? If so there would be a lot less of all this crap!

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

For the very same reason that you didn't move on from THESE posts. You have an opinion on the subject and you want it to be heard. It's human nature...let it run its course.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

?. If someone started a thread to comment on an existing post because you don't feel the comment is appropriate, there would be a lot of posts

Because if you actually have a discussion worth having.. it will happen and it will take care of itself. If you feel the urge to just critique every for sale post with commentary.. yes you would have a lot of extra threads. But that should be a red flag to you to think 'is this really appropriate?'. Why do you need to share your commentary in the first place?

Do you follow everyone around in town you see and let them know what you think about the car they drive? Or how they dress?
    Or do you make a point of telling the manager of every store you walk into what you think of their prices?

Do you do this dozens of times a day for everything you see... or if you see a trend.. do you have one conversation to discuss the TREND?

If you are concerned about prices for a game.. start a thread talk about the going asking and selling prices of a title. If there is something interesting to the discussion, it will carry itself. That is not the same thing as someone trying to correct someone's individual Ad because it doesn't fit how you think it should.

The first is a discussion about the hobby - the second is just people interjecting themselves as the peanut gallery.

Courtesy in online forums is not that much different than in person. You don't walk into every seller's store or stand and tell them what you think of their prices when you aren't even in the market for what they are selling.. so why do you do it here?

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Because people like you are so easy to get a rise out of? Those threads only pile up because people like you feed the trolls like it's buy-one-get-one-free bait night.

Seriously, the threads only get stupid when the price police police come out of the woodworks, riding in their motorized moderation armchairs, banging gavels. Then Send In The Clowns starts playing and people just have too much fun to move on.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from schmoo:

For the very same reason that you didn't move on from THESE posts. You have an opinion on the subject and you want it to be heard. It's human nature...let it run its course.

Opinion on what? A FS Post is not asking for an opinion! This post is! There is a difference!

Man, there are some out there who just can't grasp it... WOW!!

#19 6 years ago

Ah. I think I get it. So, if a game is for sale, what you're saying is it's not okay to give your opinion? So it's not okay to let a seller know what a great price their game is listed at? Just trying to understand where you are coming from.

What can you and can't you say in a forum post about a game for sale?

Quoted from teekee:

Opinion on what? A FS Post is not asking for an opinion!

#20 6 years ago

How about this: the person with the pin that's for sale gets to set the asking price.
    The end.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Opinion on what? A FS Post is not asking for an opinion! This post is! There is a difference!
    Man, there are some out there who just can't grasp it... WOW!!

Didn't think I would need to, but allow me to explain. You stated your OPINION that people who disagree with a POST ( you did not specify "for sale" posts, you just said "POSTS" ) should just move on. Yes, you stated your opinion in the form of a question, but it was still your opinion, was it not ?

So, I was pointing out the hypocrisy of expressing your own opinion that people should try to refrain from expressing THEIR opinions.

If this is still unclear, I will attempt to explain it further, but I really hope that isn't necessary.

#22 6 years ago

Are you suggesting someone said that sellers shouldn't be able to sell their game for whatever they want?

Quoted from Chambahz:

How about this: the person with the pin that's for sale gets to set the asking price.
    The end.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Are you suggesting someone anyone said that sellers shouldn't be able to sell their game for whatever they want?

Yup. They're called the "price police" and they seem to attack most FS threads.

I just find it strange that someone would be criticized for selling a pin at more than fair market value. If you own the pin, it's up to you, and you alone to determine how much cash it will take for you to part with it.

#24 6 years ago

For "most" machines I have a "fair" price in mind when I see them for sale. Condition is obviously a huge factor.

If it's cheap (by my thinking) I'll probably throw up a "well this should go fast".

If it's high I usually don't say much if anything.

If it's WAY high then it's likely to get some sort of benign comment on the high price. I don't go name calling and if he actually get's his price well good for him.

Oh and BTW:

IF YOU DON"T WANT ANY DISCUSSION ON YOUR SALES, POST IT IN THE MARKET AND NOT IN THE "MARKET PLACE FORUM". <(PERIOD)

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

IF YOU DON"T WANT ANY DISCUSSION ON YOUR SALES, POST IT IN THE MARKET AND NOT IN THE "MARKET PLACE FORUM". <(PERIOD)

Yep, looks like that's the only solution here since there are just a few too many guys here with little respect and always looking for trouble. Too bad... RGP lives again!

#26 6 years ago

Not the case. I don't believe people who have an opinion on price would ever tolerate a system that restricted what people could list their games at. You're just wrong on this.

Quoted from Chambahz:

Yup. They're called the "price police" and they seem to attack most FS threads.

I just find it strange that someone would be criticized for selling a pin at more than fair market value. If you own the pin, it's up to you, and you alone to determine how much cash it will take for you to part with it.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Courtesy in online forums is not that much different than in person. You don't walk into every seller's store or stand and tell them what you think of their prices when you aren't even in the market for what they are selling.. so why do you do it here?

I don't think that comparison works here. When you are in this forum, it is all about pinball and there is a long history of buying / selling pins against which any present sale can quickly be compared. Imagine spending all of your time in a large fruit market. After seeing dozens of people selling oranges for 50 cents each, you would be surprised if someone started asking $1 each. And eventually, you would likely find yourself asking the guy, "So why are your oranges worth $1 when everyone else is selling for 50 cents ?"

I have never bought into the notion that I shouldn't care about asking prices if I am not interested in the pin. Since when am I allowed to be completely indifferent to things that don't directly affect me ?

I don't agree with raking people over the coals for asking too much for their pins, but I don't think that asking someone to defend their asking price is overreaching.

#28 6 years ago

What ever happened to, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

The negativity in this place (when it comes to anything relating to money) is off putting. Going around and interjecting negativity into every for sale thread just breeds negativity, and it encourages people who don't really have a good understanding of value to pile on. It also discourages otherwise good sellers from listing here.

The disingenuous "nice price" posts aren't all that helpful either, but at least it's positive.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

What ever happened to, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?
    The negativity in this place (when it comes to anything relating to money) is off putting. Going around and interjecting negativity into every for sale thread just breeds negativity, and it encourages people who don't really have a good understanding of value to pile on. It also discourages otherwise good sellers from listing here.
    The disingenuous "nice price" posts aren't all that helpful either, but at least it's positive.

Exactly! I mean you can't say it any better than this! Some of these guys just won't accept this or just don't get it. Or they simply THRIVE on all the negativity and controversy. They don't want it to go away!

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from schmoo:

I don't think that comparison works here. When you are in this forum, it is all about pinball and there is a long history of buying / selling pins against which any present sale can quickly be compared. Imagine spending all of your time in a large fruit market. After seeing dozens of people selling oranges for 50 cents each, you would be surprised if someone started asking $1 each. And eventually, you would likely find yourself asking the guy, "So why are your oranges worth $1 when everyone else is selling for 50 cents ?"
    I have never bought into the notion that I shouldn't care about asking prices if I am not interested in the pin. Since when am I allowed to be completely indifferent to things that don't directly affect me ?
    I don't agree with raking people over the coals for asking too much for their pins, but I don't think that asking someone to defend their asking price is overreaching.

Do you own a car? Ever fill up your tank with gasoline?
    You were saying...?

#31 6 years ago

It's not every for sale thread, is it?

Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Going around and interjecting negativity into every for sale thread just breeds negativity,

Would you really like to live in a place (or visit a message board) where people told you what you were allowed to and not allowed to say?

Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

#32 6 years ago

Yeah everyone wants the Best games for the Least amount of cash - no kidding
    however going to the extreme with multiply accounts and trolling the site is overkill
    Read the rules and you wont get banned for life - enough of the Price Police BS already

#33 6 years ago

That's why I usually don't read these threads. The drama.......the drama. Anybody can ask what they want for their game. Simple as that.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

The negativity in this place (when it comes to anything relating to money) is off putting.

Some people find overpriced games off putting. It matters to them. That's the cool thing about forums, everyone gets their own opinion.

Maybe I've missed it, has there been a thread where Robin or the mods asked people to stop commenting on FS prices?

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Read the rules and you wont get banned for life - enough of the Price Police BS already

Serious question: Is there a rule about commenting on prices? With or without the snark and sarcasm? I have zero problem respecting moderation, I moderate one of the older forums on the internet, nothing but love for the time mods spend on herding cats.

But so far I feel like all I'm seeing is armchair mods being mad that things aren't exactly the way they'd like them. If there's a moderation clarification in the rules that I'm missing I'd appreciate it.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe I've missed it, has there been a thread where Robin or the mods asked people to stop commenting on FS prices?

Nope, its still totally your choice. So why not make the right decision and stop the noise and negativity??

#38 6 years ago

I'm gonna have a TOM for sale soon...whatchoo guys think? 7k? 8k? Just round up and list for 10k?

#39 6 years ago

Take an Advil
    (Note - I am not a Doctor)

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Just round up and list for 10k?

If you wait till Christmas!

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm gonna have a TOM for sale soon...whatchoo guys think? 7k? 8k? Just round up and list for 10k?

Why not? Worst that can happen is no one will buy it... unless these guys get a hold of you.

#42 6 years ago

You sound like a lawyer

Quoted from Astropin:

Take an Advil
    (Note - I am not a Doctor)

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

It's not every for sale thread, is it?

Would you really like to live in a place (or visit a message board) where people told you what you were allowed to and not allowed to say?

Here's the thing, there is a line between what's socially acceptable and what's not. Is it okay for you to go into a second grade classroom and say "which one of you little girls wants a mustache ride?" No. That's not okay. You would get your ass kicked for saying that. Just like you might get your ass kicked for interjecting yourself into a public sale.

Okay, maybe these are extreme examples but just because you CAN say something doesn't mean you should.

#44 6 years ago

My guess is that he's not going to take what some guy tells him on an internet message board personally.

Quoted from teekee:

Why not? Worst that can happen is no one will buy it... unless these guys get a hold of you.

#45 6 years ago

Oooh my head...rock on.

#46 6 years ago

Um no. What you are suggesting is against the law. You really can't do that. Last time I checked, commenting on a FS post isn't against any laws.

Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

You would get your ass kicked for saying that.

Nobody is kicking anybody's ass.

Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Just like you might get your ass kicked for interjecting yourself into a public sale.

#47 6 years ago

exactly! lol! keep on guessing...

#48 6 years ago

What can I say, you inspire me.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Um no. What you are suggesting is against the law. You really can't do that. Last time I checked, commenting on a FS post isn't against any laws.

Nobody is kicking anybody's ass.

That's only because there's a computer screen to protect you from the seller.

It's also not against the law for you to go into a church on Sunday and tell everyone they're idiots for giving their money because god doesn't exist.

#50 6 years ago

its one thing to list a pin a few hundred higher to see if it will fetch more, even ok to turn a small profit. but to list a pin for thousands more and hope no one says anything and you get that one dumb buyer who buys into your price...uh ua. there are places for that, like MR. Pinball and Ebay. that stuff shouldnt be going on here. people as a community should look out for each other here. its pretty easy to see who are the flippers and who are the good sellers.

i own a HS2, if i saw one for thousands more than the current going rate, for as much as id like my machine to be worth $2000-3 more than what i paid, you bet im going to speak up and say something.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 249.00
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    € 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Dystopian Mods Italia
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 43.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 49.00
    $ 208.87
    There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside