(Topic ID: 280151)

If your dream theme was crowdfunded, would you back it?

By ausretrogamer

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by fosaisu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you back it? ”

• Hell YES 13 votes
      19%
    • Hell NO 54 votes
      81%

(67 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ll-gladly-pay-you-tuesday-for-a-hamburger-today-back-33842028 (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

Just like it says, would you pledge if your dream theme was crowdfunded so that the manufacturer could get all of the assets to make the most immersive, amazing playing & best theme integrated pinball experience ever?

Think Harry Potter, The Matrix, JAWS, Die Hard, Predator, Masters of The Universe, Bill & Ted, Legend of Zelda and <insert your dream theme here>

EDIT: Crowdfunding by a proven & reputable pinball manufacturer (JJP, Stern, AP, Spooky, CGC)

#2 3 years ago

My dream theme would need to be backed up by my dream team of designers and artists.

Also, no expense should be spared on the build, but it needs to be offered at a budget price point

#3 3 years ago

Isn't this how everything went to crap... prepay and nothing delivered! ?

#4 3 years ago

While I had to vote "Hell NO" my actual feeling is more just no, not for me. Not an emphatic "Hell NO". Figure out a way to fund your company that's not crowd funding as I believe crowd funding supports non viable business ideas. If an investor won't invest if your business idea it needs further work.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Isn't this how everything went to crap... prepay and nothing delivered! ?

Yep. Ask anyone that ordered a Predator one of JPop's pins about crowdfunding. I might do a deposit (say $500 or $1000) to show the manufacturer I was a serious buyer and give them some security in bringing the game to market. But I'd want the deposit held by a third party (e.g. how Cointaker is now acting as distributor and middle-man on The Big Lebowski) and subject to specific terms (non-refundable unless the game fails to ship by X date, in which case it becomes refundable) so that if the game never ships I've got a better shot at getting my money back.

[EDIT: My deposit suggestion is of course not crowdfunding, since the manufacturer wouldn’t get the money until they’d completed building my game, but having locked-in sales might help them raise the money they’d need to start production]

Any money sent directly to the manufacturer you should be fully prepared to lose, since more than half of these things have failed over the years.

#6 3 years ago

if it was my #1 dream theme i would risk it for the biscuit

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Yep. Ask anyone that ordered a Predator one of JPop's pins about crowdfunding. I might do a deposit (say $500 or $1000) to show the manufacturer I was a serious buyer and give them some security in bringing the game to market. But I'd want the deposit held by a third party (e.g. how Cointaker is now acting as distributor and middle-man on The Big Lebowski) and subject to specific terms (non-refundable unless the game fails to ship by X date, in which case it becomes refundable) so that if the game never ships I've got a better shot at getting my money back.
    Any money sent directly to the manufacturer you should be fully prepared to lose, since more than half of these things have failed over the years.

Pretty much this. $500 max. And it would have to be being made or assisted by a reputable company, like JJP Stern or AP. For example, if a startup of known pinball dudes (who had a relatively good track record of getting shit done) and they had AP do the manufacturing as a contract job - then that's a solid case in my book.

#8 3 years ago

If that person/team can demonstrate prior completed projects, maybe something in the $20-$100 range. So if the project ends, I haven't lost very much.

Otherwise, giving money to a random individual with no experience in designing, building, or completing a game has proven to be somewhat foolish, since most of those kinds of preorder projects have failed in a spectacular way. Plus, the percentage of completed projects on kickstarter is much lower than you would think.

That's not to say that first-time homebrew builders haven't built and finished interesting games--they certainly have. They just haven't typically done it on someone else's dime.

#9 3 years ago

Hell no. Crowdfunding is not guaranteed. You think every KS backer is satisfied? There are tons of projects that are never completed and no one gets a dime back because of KS terms. Crowdfunding is not purchasing a product, it is investing in a company in the hopes that they make something. That is why they are called pledges and not purchases.

Besides, this has already unsuccessfully been done in pinball...see Predator or JPop

#10 3 years ago

Is this you jpop?

#11 3 years ago

I think you need to be more specific on terms. I know little about crowdfunding but I know that sometimes money can be returned and many times it cannot be returned. So understanding that (as well as how much money is paid when) is critical to the answer the question.

If the question is whether I would pay 100% of the value of a $5k+ game prior to it being ready to ship? Nope. Never. Any circumstance in which I am a creditor to someone who didn't have the capital to start their own company and take on the risk is not a circumstance I want to be in (unless it is for a mere deposit or minor sum of money but even then I feel that is a recipe for disaster for a number of other reasons).

#12 3 years ago

If it's PTC, I'm in.

LTG : )

#13 3 years ago

We have to get #LTG a PTC .... So guess I'm in ....

#14 3 years ago

Finally a dream theme thread!

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Finally a dream theme thread!

We should add a poll...Goonies or Jaws?!?!?!

#16 3 years ago

Only if Paperflock was making it for Stern.

#17 3 years ago

Should’ve added: crowdfunded by a reputable / already established pinball company, not an unproven entity.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Should’ve added: crowdfunded by a reputable / already established pinball company, not an unproven entity.

No. If they're an established company, they really shouldn't be doing crowdfunding. If they don't want to put up their own capital or get loans for product development, I'd be a little concerned.

Crowdfunding is generally intended for small outfits or startups.

#19 3 years ago

The Matrix, and nope for a multitude of reasons.

#20 3 years ago

If there is anyone willing to crowdfund left after the multitude of prepay failures and drawn out delivery times in the last 7 years, they either have been living under a rock or have money to burn.

#21 3 years ago

Fucking NEVER.

Research the fuckery of all horrible maniacs who squandered the money of hobbyists. Only buy games being manufactured & sold through normal means.

#22 3 years ago

Sure sure, but would you join a Kickstarter to fix the Pinside Top 100?!

#23 3 years ago

I dont even know what my dream theme is

#24 3 years ago

Crowd funded=prepay. I’ve lost thousands already.

Pinball makers/dreamers can shoulder the risk. I’ll only pay for a finished product, regardless of dream theme.

#25 3 years ago

One of the most valuable lessons I ever learned from classic cartoon reruns at a very early age, is knowing these motherfuckers exist.

Same scenario applies here, except the money and product are reversed.

ll-gladly-pay-you-tuesday-for-a-hamburger-today-back-33842028 (resized).pngll-gladly-pay-you-tuesday-for-a-hamburger-today-back-33842028 (resized).png

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I dont even know what my dream theme is

This is me.

#27 3 years ago

Very strong NOPE. I've tried to back a couple crowd-funded things. I've yet to receive a single item from campaigns I supported. Never again.

#28 3 years ago

No.

#29 3 years ago

We've seen this movie before.

#30 3 years ago

I am far too cynical at this point to ever gamble on crowdsourcing a pin!

Sorry, but if you are turning to crowdsourcing to get something as compliex as pinball manufacturing off the ground, then you probably don’t know what you don’t know and are likely woefully underprepared in other critical areas as well.

The past 6-8 years has taught me that sadly, there seems to be a disproportionately large number of scoundrels, charlatans, and other assorted assholes in this industry, and I have watched way too many folks ending up either profoundly disappointed or overtly ripped off! (I guess the silver lining is that the good guys (fortunately there are a lot of them too) stand out in even sharper relief.)

#31 3 years ago

Everyone who votes yes is in luck! I have decided to make your dream theme. I will setup the gofundme soon so you can make your deposit. Don't worry it is totally safe and you will all get your games.

#32 3 years ago

Crowdfunding seems like a joke to me. I couldn’t take any pinball “company” seriously if they were asking for handouts to produce a game.

#33 3 years ago

The Pinball Arcade crowd funded the licensing fee portion of a couple of their titles with good success. TAF, T2 and TZ all saw Kickstarter initiatives. They got me on the first one but then I just waited for the full release for the next two. I could see saying yes to this if Stern or JJP ran this for a dream theme AND the ‘perks’ actually aligned with something I saw value in. Seeing as I don’t really have a dream theme I’m not too worried about having to cross this bridge.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

The Pinball Arcade crowd funded the licensing fee portion of a couple of their titles with good success. TAF, T2 and TZ all saw Kickstarter initiatives.

Now that you mention it I did one of those - I guess it’s the principle of the thing but the stakes are somewhat lower when your entire outlay is $5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-your-dream-theme-was-crowdfunded-would-you-back-it?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.