(Topic ID: 225065)

If you weren’t married (or SO) would you have more pins?

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does you wife limit your collection size?”

• Yes 39 votes
      27%
    • No 74 votes
      51%
    • Somewhat 33 votes
      23%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CBA31977-7E6B-4B7D-BC49-AA4A1145C861 (resized).jpeg
    670F096E-A209-4585-894C-8E8D56F10E4C (resized).jpeg

#1 5 years ago

I’m curious if you guys are at your limit space/price wise or does your wife dictate how many pins you can have?

I think my limit is more due to cost but when I have money, I still have to run it by my wife before I get another pin. I would say somewhat limited by my wife.

#2 5 years ago

My wife is part of the problem..I mean addiction.
    -Mike

#3 5 years ago

I would have more. My wife keeps me in check. I would ignore getting things we need like windows and instead get another pin for example.

It isn’t her not ‘letting me’, but rather we can’t afford another if we need the money for ...

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m curious if you guys are at your limit space/price wise or does your wife dictate how many pins you can have?

They have to stay in the basement which I agree with. Other than that, she’s wants to get new games just as much as me.

#5 5 years ago

I have a friend that I think that if he had a girlfriend/wife his collection would go down to half, which wouldn’t be a bad thing. He also owns 2 Aliens, so maybe he would only have one at that point

#6 5 years ago

Only restriction is they go in the basement. However, my 6 year old granddaughter says why does grandpa need so many pinball machines? (after I added SW)

#7 5 years ago

My wife is very supportive and plays. I voted somewhat because I would probably have more in the living room than just the one.

#8 5 years ago

My only restriction has been more about space and finances. I only if and when I can afford to otherwise as long as bills are paid, food is on the table and family lifestyle is not affected wife = happy

#9 5 years ago

My wife is not only in on collecting pins but she’s a hell of a player herself, here she is after winning our local summer league a couple weeks ago:

CBA31977-7E6B-4B7D-BC49-AA4A1145C861 (resized).jpegCBA31977-7E6B-4B7D-BC49-AA4A1145C861 (resized).jpeg670F096E-A209-4585-894C-8E8D56F10E4C (resized).jpeg670F096E-A209-4585-894C-8E8D56F10E4C (resized).jpeg

#10 5 years ago

Mine tells me to buy whatever I want.

#11 5 years ago

My SO was totally on-board with picking up a new IMDN since I wouldn't have to spend any time refurbishing it.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

I have a friend that I think that if he had a girlfriend/wife his collection would go down to half, which wouldn’t be a bad thing. He also owns 2 Aliens, so maybe he would only have one at that point

Does he have a 2nd Alien as a parts donor game?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Does he have so many games including 2 aliens because he doesn't have a girlfriend or....

Does he not have a girlfriend because he's got so many games, including 2 aliens?

#14 5 years ago

I have a long-term live-in girlfriend, she doesn't say much at all and she's not really into pinball, might be different if married

#15 5 years ago

Same.

Thankfully, my wife is not a big fan of pinball and neither are my children which is actually a bit disappointing.

#16 5 years ago

Every fellow I know with a very large collection is married.

I’m sure their are plenty with large collections that aren’t but....

#17 5 years ago

Nope, though I think I would like less pins as it is now. Too hard to keep the good ones running to focus on projects.

#18 5 years ago

My only limitation has always been space.

#19 5 years ago

Id have hundreds....if it wasnt for the other expenses deemed more important!

#20 5 years ago

I would have to imagine most intelligent wives support their husbands hobbies as long as it doesn’t drain too much income from the family. If it wasnt for pinball many of us would have too much free time to get into all kinds of trouble!
    My girl loves pinball as much as I do.
    Every year when we go to the Allentown show there’s always a debate on the way home.
    1)what was your favorite game ?
    2) is it worth to add to the collection?

#21 5 years ago

My wife let’s me get whatever I want, but without her paying 1/2 the expenses I wouldn’t have the exter cash to afford my hobbies. She’s indifferent towards gaming and pinball, so she has no influence on what I get.

#22 5 years ago

Thanks to my wife and her hard work, we both get to enjoy things that would be a lot harder otherwise. Life in the city ain't cheap.

#23 5 years ago

I don't think being married is a limiting factory but having young kids in daycare certainly cuts down on available cash for new pins. It's like having 2 mortgages basically.

#24 5 years ago

I bought both before meeting her. She's game for more. Just need to make sure it's actually extra money

#25 5 years ago

My wife entirely supports my pinball hobby & passion. Space & budget are my biggest limitations.

#26 5 years ago

My wife bought me my first two pins as a Christmas present. Back then you could get two decent pins for less than $4k. She probably didn’t figure on me ever owning 11-12.

#27 5 years ago

I'm not sure. I think most of us are crazy for having as many machines as we do. I think any statement that begins with the premise that our significant others are the "problem" is always ridiculous. I'm pretty happy with my six game collection, but left to my own devices perhaps I'd have more. For my current space, six is the perfect number.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm not sure. I think most of us are crazy for having as many machines as we do. I think any statement that begins with the premise that our significant others are the "problem" is always ridiculous. I'm pretty happy with my six game collection, but left to my own devices perhaps I'd have more.

You make a good point. The average person would think having any more than 1 would be crazy.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

but having young kids in daycare certainly cuts down on available cash.

I got lucky (cursed?) with twins... ended up going the nanny route cause it was just as much as two kids in daycare at once and it literally is the exact same cost as my mortgage. That's my biggest issue and why all my machines are older fixer uppers

#30 5 years ago

Yes yes and yes. Although limit was 2 now it's 6 so can't complain that much

#31 5 years ago

She's not the Boss of me I do what I want just out of space mostly

#32 5 years ago

My wifes not the boss of me I do whatever I want as long as she says its ok.

#33 5 years ago

I’d have less, my wife makes more $ than I do and covers most of the main expenses.

#34 5 years ago

Our first pin was a present for her, she got me addicted.

#35 5 years ago

Being married does not limit me from buying pins, just got to know your priorities being the man of the house.

Cutting back on power bills helps to buy more pins. If I get flack from the wife/kids being hot during the Summer because the A/C is off, I tell them not to worry as Winter is just around the corner.

If the kids are hungry I just remind them that I gave their mother a dollar for Taco Tuesday tomorrow in which they can all share the 2 tacos.

If I get too much whining from the family in general I just take off for the girlfriends house for a few days as I have a pin there.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

My only restriction has been more about space and finances. I only if and when I can afford to otherwise as long as bills are paid, food is on the table and family lifestyle is not affected wife = happy

Same here. We both have hobbies as well as household expenses, a 2 year old, and other disposable income budgets (vacation etc.). We discuss all major purchases we both want and see what makes sense for us at the time. I love pinball machines but they are a fun luxury I am grateful to have and I'm not looking to go broke on them regardless of being married.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

My wife bought me my first two pins as a Christmas present. Back then you could get two decent pins for less than $4k. She probably didn’t figure on me ever owning 11-12.

Wow, that's a familiar story... Wifey bought the first as a surprise present and I now have 11. She's the best!

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H and model S Skee Ball

#38 5 years ago

Yeah, probably, but I don't actually know if that's a good thing! Her main gripe is I don't always talk to her about getting new ones, and obviously the space they take up (and the time.. the work.. etc).

#39 5 years ago

She has a new $45k car every few years, I have $50k in nib pins every few years.

The cars are worth nothing in the end.

The pins dont lose as much value as the cars.

But to each his or her own.
    Whatever makes you happy, life is short.

#40 5 years ago

My loving Wife bought me my first Pin as a retirement present{Galaxy}since then,its been only if I have space and Extra $ |insert-c collection here|

#41 5 years ago

I don't think pins is what she keeps me from having more of... That's probably good. Married with pins is way cheaper than when I was single without!

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

You must be getting older like me cause “back in the day” that was still a good chunk of cash but nothing compared to where the crazy pricing is today regardless of inflation!
    You sir are a lucky man! Awesome pinball gifts Like that are most guys dream present.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

You must be getting older like me cause “back in the day” that was still a good chunk of cash but nothing compared to where the crazy pricing is today regardless of inflation!
    You sir are a lucky man! Awesome pinball gifts Like that are most guys dream present.

I have to agree - I’ve only been in the hobby for about 2 1/2 years, and some huge changes have happened since then - but nothing larger than the prices we’re seeing! I bought my first game - a TAF for $4500. I thought THAT was a lot. What a fool I was!

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

My brother in law had a South Park pin and I didn't know people ever owned pins in their homes.

My wife found a shop that sold pins and said for me to take a look and they would be a present. I got T2 and BOP both for less than $2K each if I remember correctly.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Does he have a 2nd Alien as a parts donor game?

Nope; both are up and playing

#46 5 years ago

I would think being married would cause one to bury themselves in more games and not sell any of them. And keep looking for more. As you won't be leaving or going anywhere.

As being stuck in what seems like a situation there is no way out of till the end of time would lead to doing anything to make that situation more bearable.

Unlike the free man that may decide one day he has had enough, and gets rid of everything so he can get the heck out of Dodge.

#47 5 years ago

No. At one point I had almost 30 pins in garage , basement , and office. Wife never said anything and was happy when I realized it was ridiculous and I narrowed down to 6 pins making 2, 3, and even 4 times my money on the ones I sold. Bought a condo in Diamond Beach with all the cash and have had zero regrets.

#48 5 years ago

After game 2 my wife told me that "we are NOT having an arcade in the basement". 7 pins, a skill roll and a 14' ball bowler later, we still so NOT have an arcade in the basement.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-werent-married-or-so-would-you-have-more-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.