(Topic ID: 159074)

If you were to give a business presentation on pinball...

By wizzardz

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mbaumle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I'm speaking with a company about a staff IT consulting position. One of the interview steps is to give a presentation. The exercise is only to evaluate presentation skills. As such, the presentation can be on the topic of my choosing.

Normally I'd base it on a topic more salient to the company/vertical/etc. In this case its not necessary, and, frankly, if I can spread pinball awareness how could I turn down the opportunity.

While I don't need help with presentation skills (and pinside would be an odd pace to ask if I did), what I would like from my fellow pinheads are any fun facts, stories or anecdotes, history, etc that you've found non-pinheads find particularly intriguing, funny, etc that you might include were you to develop a similar presentation.

tia

#2 7 years ago

That it used to be illegal. People love that.

I did a presentation at my work, and brought a machine in with me, and let it make its random callouts.

#3 7 years ago

Most people ask how much a game costs. I usually reply: Pinball machines are like cars, you have your Mustangs and your Pintos, and your Mustangs and your Rustangs. You could use other cars as examples but you lose conciseness and they usually find the Rustang analogy as funny.

#4 7 years ago

No pinball presentation would be complete without the story of Roger Sharpe's "perfect shot".

#5 7 years ago

Dont forget to Bring your boombox and play the Pinball Wizard song as loud as you can!!!!

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from jasonp:

Dont forget to Bring your boombox and play the Pinball Wizard song as loud as you can!!!!

Please don't.

Maybe also include that there are leagues and tournaments (maybe compare it to bowling? Or maybe not...), a surge in barcades, and various shows with hundreds of machines every year all over the world.

#7 7 years ago

Tell them the story of the Star wars with autographed translite!

#8 7 years ago

Read out loud some of the posts about whether pinball is a sport.

#9 7 years ago

Every time I tell a person that there are specific shots you are supposed to shoot at spectofic times, they are blown away. Every noob just assumes you're supposed to keep the ball from draining and that's it. No strategy, no rules, just lights, flippers, and things for the ball to hit and run across. Haha

#10 7 years ago

That it used to be illegal. People love that.

Actually some cities still have laws on their books that make pinball illegal or limit arcade activity. In San Francisco, Free Gold Watch had to go before the city board to have more than 10 machines on site. They successfully changed the SF law in 2014 and are going strong.

#11 7 years ago

Sorry was trying to include Iron00monkeys quote correctly. But it is a fascinating part of pinball history.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Every noob just assumes you're supposed to keep the ball from draining and that's it. No strategy, no rules, just lights, flippers, and things for the ball to hit and run across.

Wait, what?

#13 7 years ago

I was just at an end of tax season work party that we had at a barcade. I was teaching a lot of people how to play, and outside of the one guy who used to own a pinball machine, there was about 10 people that had no idea there was any strategy or rules involved.

#14 7 years ago

Definitely mention how it was illegal in certain parts of the country. People generally find that, and pinball's backstory really fascinating. I like to add in that when it was illegal in places like New York, there were police raids for secret pinball parlors all the way up to the 1970s. During WWII, a lot of the manufacturing went into war efforts, so little new games were produced--most were conversion kits. This can be seen on IPDB if you do an advanced search only including the years of 1941 (year of US involvement) to 1945. Most of the games were conversions, and most have a propaganda wartime message.

Here's a snipped from a newspaper published in TN regarding their laws on pinball: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=266&dat=19811021&id=4fYrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HG0FAAAAIBAJ&pg=2595,5916305&hl=en

The law regulated pinball machines like alcohol in the early 1980s, thus outlawing minors (under 18) from playing them. According to other sources, that law was recently (within the last decade) overturned, therefore allowing minors to legally play pinball again.

Another source claims that it is still illegal in Ocean City, NJ to play pinball on Sundays, but I couldn't verify it's veracity.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-were-to-give-a-business-presentation-on-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.