(Topic ID: 295500)

if you were given a chance to redesign a game what game?

By Bmad21

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Stebel
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DFCA11CC-81B4-4842-8B7C-C051B03AEC3E (resized).jpeg
    B8344B16-3E01-4B64-B7F6-89704731CCA1 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Gottlieb "Spirit"

What to keep:
    Art and sound Package.

What to add:
    Distorted sound and a character playing the titular thing.

What to change:
    Light Package needs overhaul.

I would take the middle lanes on the lower playfeild and terminate it with a vertical upkickers to put it back on the playfeild.

Share your thoughts and ideas for other tables.

#2 2 years ago

Punchy The Clown - LTG edition

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Never will get old

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Man you don't want that in your room.

Your half asleep and you see that.

#5 2 years ago

I’d make it move .

#6 2 years ago

Hurricane. Get a mechanical dunk the dummy. "Rollercoaster" ramps more akin to Nordman's white water/Elvira and the party monsters. A roller coaster ramp locking mech like the Simpsons/Oktoberfest. A ferris wheel lock or a merr-go-round lock. A day and night mode (WPC GI dimming). The dual ferris wheels was pretty weak as was reusing the traffic light from High Speed. This was the third iteration of the carnival theme and it was on the WPC platform no less, such a waste of potential.

#7 2 years ago

Stern Star Wars:

What to keep:
    Comic Art and sound Package.

What to add:
    Hyperdrive would be clear plastic to see the inter-workings of the balls flying through, with a space theme. Would include Xwing fighters in a 2 or 3 array, with lights and sounds on the PF, going against a 2 or 3 array tie fighter group that blows up with sounds and lights, with some kind of ball interaction. Light up LE side armor.

What to change:
    Mini PF TV would be better utilized and the 3 bank target position changed as to not be an instant left outlane drain Monster. Make the GUI more modern looking on the LCD. Open up the ramp entrance slightly to gain better entrance into the DS/hyperloop. Habit trails would be changed to be a bit more interesting. Better utilization of the DS blowup in the game.

#8 2 years ago

Stern TWD:

What to change:
    * Use frosted warm white LEDs all around to enhance the red, brown and yellow colors in the game.
    * Replace the big weird head in the prison with a zombie hoard
    * All of the callouts (thanks Cleland)

What to add:
    * Steel mini-posts with rubbers above the plastic outlane dividers, just like every other Stern has

Fortunately, most of these can be done as reversible mods.

#9 2 years ago

Jetsons because it needs to be stacked and loaded.pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#10 2 years ago

I would make every game with a LCD display have the screen be under the playfield like in Full Throttle and Alien, so I don't have to look up.

Small changes:
    Give Addams Family more of an incentive to shoot combos and multipliers.
    Give Star Wars Episode 1 an autolauncher
    Some sort of optional setting on No Fear so that Infinite Loops stop being a viable tournament strategy.
    Change Banzai Run to a theme that has more to do with the vertical nature of the game.
    I haven't looked into it, but it is my understanding that the board game on safe cracker is not that strategically interesting. I would see about changing that.
    Try to give the Beatles a different tournament strategy other than side-loops all day.
    Starting a Magneto multiball on X-men without setting it up first and being punished with infinitesmal jackpots is kinda unfriendly game design. I understand that it's supposed to incentivize players to play in a certain way, but I would try to think of a different way to do that.
    I don't remember exactly but I think in Whitewater there were certain parts of the game that never got shot for. The bumpers add chaos to the ball movement, but it would be nice if they did something more than that.
    Left orbit on Theatre of Magic, the thing everyone complains about.
    Wizard Mode on TOTAN being farmable. I don't know if there's a fan-mod that fixes this for tournaments.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

Stern Star Wars:
    What to keep:
    Comic Art and sound Package.
    What to add:
    Hyperdrive would be clear plastic to see the inter-workings of the balls flying through, with a space theme. Would include Xwing fighters in a 2 or 3 array, with lights and sounds on the PF, going against a 2 or 3 array tie fighter group that blows up with sounds and lights, with some kind of ball interaction. Light up LE side armor.
    What to change:
    Mini PF TV would be better utilized and the 3 bank target position changed as to not be an instant left outlane drain Monster. Make the GUI more modern looking on the LCD. Open up the ramp entrance slightly to gain better entrance into the DS/hyperloop. Habit trails would be changed to be a bit more interesting. Better utilization of the DS blowup in the game.

That was my choice as well, especially the shooter lane would move to a standard configuration to shoot up to the top of the play field, entering either into the pops or completing the orbit.

#12 2 years ago

Thunderbirds.
    I would not know what I was doing, and wouldn't want to screw up a good game.

#13 2 years ago

I would like to see Iron Maiden re-themed. You could flip the layout and the only thing to change is the band.

-Make it so

#14 2 years ago

Stern "Star Trek"

What to keep:
    Playfield layout/ramps and most software/rules.

What to add:
    Full working left side VUK habitrail that shoots the Warp Ramp, as originally intended.

What to change:
    Art package (I would have gone all white and chrome, like the bridge of the new Enterprise, and focused on ships/planets instead of actors. Aurich's alternate translite was a great move in this direction).
    LCD with movie clips instead of DMD/dots.
    Sounds/music (sorry Karl, your custom call-outs aren't enough. Need the "Khaaaan!" callout to actually be Zach Quinto. Pinsider Nosro did a good job changing the music).
    Add the third movie scenes into the mix (can you imagine a Swarm "Sabotage" multi-ball? Oh yeah...).

Later,
    EV

#15 2 years ago

Munsters.
    Where do I start.........hmmmmm............... code!!!!

#16 2 years ago

Roller Coaster Tycoon.

It just begs to be redone with that unique layout, but horrible code and lackluster theme. I'd lose everything but the layout and make it a Tron 1982 theme. The roller coasters would turn into light cycle tracks, they are already red, yellow and blue. The drop targets up the middle could be incorporated for the MCP. Scrambled eggs would now be Dumont on his spinning platform. Troll could be turned into Sark. I'd get rid of the DMD and put an LCD in it with movie clips and custom animation. I wish I had the time and ability to do something like this.

#17 2 years ago

Add a feature to all games where cradling the ball(s) during multiball would drain your points.

Gilligans Island and Hurricane could use make overs.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Stebel:

Add a feature to all games where cradling the ball(s) during multiball would drain your points.
    Gilligans Island and Hurricane could use make overs.

Ginger does not look like Ginger. Bally needed a better art package on that.

#19 2 years ago

Gottlieb's Big Hurt

Retheme it. Needs great playfield artwork and non-repetitive call-outs and sounds. Shots are fun, flow is great, toys and mechs are out-standing.

#20 2 years ago

Hardbody. I love that game but it is the worst theme and art package ever.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Hardbody. I love that game but it is the worst theme and art package ever.

How aboot a Bicycle theme instead?

#22 2 years ago

FUNHOUSE, needs to be a DMD display with awesome animations.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

How aboot a Bicycle theme instead?

The predecessor, yes!

#24 2 years ago

ST:TNG is my all time favorite pin, but the main attraction only appears briefly in one episode, and that is the "borg ship" used in the game. Why isn't it a borg cube! I would re-release this game with a proper borg cube and make the animations to match it. I would also change the inlanes from optos to physical switches, randomize the shuttle simulator and make it harder to get, and change the shot geometry slightly so a rejected neutral zone hit didn't brush the left ramp and go straight down the middle. Other than that, 11/10 as is and bolted to the floor.

#25 2 years ago

BSD: re-use the theme and redo everything else. The game is such a bore now.

#26 2 years ago

Stern Star Wars, pretty much a complete redo. Change it from a tournament points machine to a progression work your way through the films machine. Add a proper force magnet toy that interacts with the LCD. Vader throwing shit on you at the screen and the ball gets thrown around the playfield. Luke trying to force pull the lightsaber from the snow and the ball mimics it on the playfield.

#27 2 years ago

Jetsons

#28 2 years ago

Am I really the first person to say Ghostbusters?

#29 2 years ago

Baywatch. Keep it all the same except put in an LCD screen and give it fully modern code. Love the layout and features, bored of the Data East code.
    If need be slap some modern IP on it. You could make the layout work with almost any movie or series, really.

#30 2 years ago

I redesigned the No Fear skull last night by coincidence.

He’s a fucking methed up maniac now.

B8344B16-3E01-4B64-B7F6-89704731CCA1 (resized).jpegB8344B16-3E01-4B64-B7F6-89704731CCA1 (resized).jpegDFCA11CC-81B4-4842-8B7C-C051B03AEC3E (resized).jpegDFCA11CC-81B4-4842-8B7C-C051B03AEC3E (resized).jpeg

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I redesigned the No Fear skull last night by coincidence.

He’s a fucking methed up maniac now.

Heh. He *DOES* look like a meth head now!

#32 2 years ago

I upgrade every game I play. Tremendous fun, coming up with new ideas for old games.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

It was so fucking bad I don't even want a good one

#34 2 years ago

I would redo Creature from the Black Lagoon...deeper rules and a 3 ball multiball..I'd leave the flipper gap in tact.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from oldbaby:

I would make every game with a LCD display have the screen be under the playfield like in Full Throttle and Alien, so I don't have to look up.
    Small changes:
    Give Addams Family more of an incentive to shoot combos and multipliers.
    Give Star Wars Episode 1 an autolauncher
    Some sort of optional setting on No Fear so that Infinite Loops stop being a viable tournament strategy.
    Change Banzai Run to a theme that has more to do with the vertical nature of the game.
    I haven't looked into it, but it is my understanding that the board game on safe cracker is not that strategically interesting. I would see about changing that.
    Try to give the Beatles a different tournament strategy other than side-loops all day.
    Starting a Magneto multiball on X-men without setting it up first and being punished with infinitesmal jackpots is kinda unfriendly game design. I understand that it's supposed to incentivize players to play in a certain way, but I would try to think of a different way to do that.
    I don't remember exactly but I think in Whitewater there were certain parts of the game that never got shot for. The bumpers add chaos to the ball movement, but it would be nice if they did something more than that.
    Left orbit on Theatre of Magic, the thing everyone complains about.
    Wizard Mode on TOTAN being farmable. I don't know if there's a fan-mod that fixes this for tournaments.

Pops on white water change which award is lit. It can mess up your strategy if you accidentally hit them or maybe you want to take the risk to get 5X or whirlpool challenge lit?

#36 2 years ago

Dialed in

Change the Simcard hole to smooth Out the Shot and retheme the Game.

#37 2 years ago

RAZA

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Any "Punchy" reference gets an automatic "thumbs up" from me.

Quoted from yancy:

I scanned the comments and was amazed it wasn't mentioned earlier.

#39 2 years ago

beatles,,, use all the beatle songs.....

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from gmanrulz46:

beatles,,, use all the beatle songs.....

It was a big miss, not doing a psychedelic version of Beatles for us younger old people. Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sargent Pepper…

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

It was a big miss, not doing a psychedelic version of Beatles for us younger old people. Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sargent Pepper…

Believe it or not Mr. Kite and Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds were not about drugs.

Mr. Kite was just a playbill
    And Lucy was based on Lennon kids drawings.

None were about drugs its a popular myth that needs to die.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Stern Star Wars, pretty much a complete redo. Change it from a tournament points machine to a progression work your way through the films machine. Add a proper force magnet toy that interacts with the LCD. Vader throwing shit on you at the screen and the ball gets thrown around the playfield. Luke trying to force pull the lightsaber from the snow and the ball mimics it on the playfield.

SW a new hope needs to be a widebody with a lower PF trash compactor theme .Honestly each SW pin from here on out needs to concentrate on 1 movie alone .Way too vast to cram a trilogy in a standard body.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Believe it or not Mr. Kite and Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds were not about drugs.
    Mr. Kite was just a playbill
    And Lucy was based on Lennon kids drawings.
    None were about drugs its a popular myth that needs to die.

I think maybe those were just the stories they told media. Is there any doubt they went hard on LSD in that era.

#44 2 years ago

Terminator 2. So many good things in the game and could have been so much better with better movie intergation. Sooooo much you could do with it now.

Also, any star wars game. I don't understand why they can't get it right! Hahaha

#45 2 years ago

Re theme AIQ as LZ. The tower was sooo supposed to be the stairway.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Re theme AIQ as LZ. The tower was sooo supposed to be the stairway.

now your talking

#47 2 years ago

I'd love a Harley Davidson game that stands up to their reputation. Stern HD is a huge dud.

#48 2 years ago

GB as a vault with some tweaked changes would be nice.

#49 2 years ago

Back to the future. I’d keep the theme and change the rest.

#50 2 years ago

El dorado (EM) - make it so when I turn on the game I don't have to start a game to turn all the lights on. On my Williams Klondike you flip the power switch and then press the left flipper button to turn the lights on.

King of Diamonds - add a power switch so I don't have to bang on the bottom of the cabinet.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-were-given-a-chance-to-redesign-a-game-what-game?hl=brettv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.