(Topic ID: 295500)

if you were given a chance to redesign a game what game?

By Bmad21

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Stebel
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DFCA11CC-81B4-4842-8B7C-C051B03AEC3E (resized).jpeg
    B8344B16-3E01-4B64-B7F6-89704731CCA1 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Jetsons because it needs to be stacked and loaded.[quoted image][quoted image]

Plus one for the Jetsons. Such a lame game in its present configuration. It could’ve been so much more.

#52 2 years ago

No one‘s mentioned the Flintstones. Another great game, too bad it’s based on the movie and not the cartoon. The current art package leaves a lot to be desired.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

GB as a vault with some tweaked changes would be nice.

Which changes? Would be interesting

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ecw0930:

Also, any star wars game. I don't understand why they can't get it right! Hahaha

Data East did.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Baywatch. Keep it all the same except put in an LCD screen and give it fully modern code. Love the layout and features, bored of the Data East code.
    If need be slap some modern IP on it. You could make the layout work with almost any movie or series, really.

Chad did tweak the code which improves things but yeah I get your point.
    The layout is one of the best of the 90s imo. If Stern did that now people would be losing their minds

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Believe it or not Mr. Kite and Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds were not about drugs.
    Mr. Kite was just a playbill
    And Lucy was based on Lennon kids drawings.
    None were about drugs its a popular myth that needs to die.

Agreed, but I don’t equate “psychedelic” with “drugs”. These are the definitions I had in mind:

2 : imitating, suggestive of, or reproducing effects (such as distorted or bizarre images or sounds) resembling those produced by psychedelic drugs
    3 : of, relating to, characteristic of, or being the period of the mid- to late-1960's that is associated with the psychedelic drug culture

I’d even argue that The Beatles created psychedelic rock, along with Hendrix and The Doors.

#57 2 years ago

Evel Knievel. The one game that should have ramps galore. Nary a one.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Evel Knievel. The one game that should have ramps galore. Nary a one.

Time for a Robbie Knievel pin!

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

BSD: re-use the theme and redo everything else. The game is such a bore now.

BSD is a timeless classic. Its addicting and never boring.

#60 2 years ago

Bally Mata Hari- eliminate the kick out hole at the top arch. Drain monster.
    Bally Paragon- Eliminate the right 2nd flipper as the German version.
    Bally Strikes & Spares- Add 2 drop target assemblies on each lower side and eliminate the target shots.
    Bally Silverball Mania- Move horseshoe up a couple inches so it's harder to nail it and trap the ball and do it again.
    Gottlieb Buccaneer- The game is defined by the single spinner in the PF to access the upper portion. Needs 2 spinners to get back up top.

Just a few from games I've played a lot.

#61 2 years ago

Bally Hotdoggin' - add a target or something else after the inline drops instead of return back to saucer.

Bally Nitro Groundshaker - Add inline drops in front of left saucer or maybe instead add 2 or 3 captive balls (think right side Judge Dredd) in front of left saucer and close the wall next to the pops so it just fires back down and stays trapped.

#62 2 years ago

Popeye. It’s the one thing that keeps me from owning all the “super pins”.

#63 2 years ago

I'd like to recode Thunderbirds and add a diverter ramp to the ramp that does nothing. The few dozen games I've played I like the layout and interactive GI lighting. Rules really make it a turd and again, a ramp that doesn't do anything but advance you to the top of the playfield.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Gottlieb Buccaneer- The game is defined by the single spinner in the PF to access the upper portion. Needs 2 spinners to get back up top.

Also, the game hits a dead end when played for points as opposed to specials. Each number is worth 5k once, then after you collect 'em all, pity points. Would be cool if specials were worth 10k or something.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Roller Coaster Tycoon.
    It just begs to be redone with that unique layout, but horrible code and lackluster theme. I'd lose everything but the layout and make it a Tron 1982 theme. The roller coasters would turn into light cycle tracks, they are already red, yellow and blue. The drop targets up the middle could be incorporated for the MCP. Scrambled eggs would now be Dumont on his spinning platform. Troll could be turned into Sark. I'd get rid of the DMD and put an LCD in it with movie clips and custom animation. I wish I had the time and ability to do something like this.

That troll makes no sense at all.

#66 2 years ago

TX - Sector blackglass needs a face-lift.

#67 2 years ago

I really like what people are doing with EE rulesets, eg Stars, F2K and Meteor. It‘s like getting two pins for the price of one.

Many of These games just need minor code tweaks. For example:

Kiss: center rollover awarding Kiss row should work only when you shoot the ball, as a skill shot. Spinner should award 1000 per spin for one shot and then have to be relit by center really rollover.

#68 2 years ago

But the game with most potential IMO is Dolly Parton. My idea would be:

1. Complete Dolly Parton x times till you get Special.

2. Shoot the lower left hand stationary target 3x to light the lower right hand rollover (going back to the shooter lane) to collect bonus.

This could be done without changing the PF by added small vertical plastics above those targets with LEDs to show shot status.

#69 2 years ago

I would base the Addams family pin on the show, not the movies. And even though I do love Raul Julia's callouts, John Astin would have nailed it too.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinslot:

I really like what people are doing with EE rulesets, eg Stars, F2K and Meteor. It‘s like getting two pins for the price of one.
    Kiss: center rollover awarding Kiss row should work only when you shoot the ball, as a skill shot. Spinner should award 1000 per spin for one shot and then have to be relit by center really t

Kiss: center rollover awarding Kiss row should work only when you shoot the ball, as a skill shot. Spinner should award 1000 per spin for one shot and then have to be relit by center really rollover.

Bally "Kiss" is really not a game. Just spell "Kiss" and vola.

Not much really going on.

#71 2 years ago

As it stands it’s a one shot game: hit spinner. Those changes would make it worthwhile to risk other shots.

#72 2 years ago

I really like Iron Maiden’s layout, rules, art, and music but if I could, I would re-theme it to have all Megadeth assets. Vic Rattlehead art and Megadeth music. By far my favorite metal band of all time and I would be a happy man.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinslot:

But the game with most potential IMO is Dolly Parton.

Agreed. I don't enjoy the game at all, but Scott Danesi had the ultimate redesign: turned his Dolly Parton into the TNA whitewood.

#74 2 years ago

Cue Ball Wizard. Totally redesign the backglass art, the video modes, the skill shot, and add an auto ball launcher for the multiballs. Otherwise that game has a lot going for it.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Cue Ball Wizard. Totally redesign the backglass art, the video modes, the skill shot, and add an auto ball launcher for the multiballs. Otherwise that game has a lot going for it.

You will not speak ill of John Norris on this thread

Him. Tanzer, Trudeau, Python (python had the biggest splash) Sullivan and Ritchie are in their own club of designers along with Gottlieb system one designers.

#76 2 years ago

I would add a 5th and maybe 6th ball to Metallica.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Time for a Robbie Knievel pin!

No it's not

#78 2 years ago

BBBB - such a great theme needs an equally great redo.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

You will not speak ill of John Norris on this thread

Him. Tanzer, Trudeau, Python (python had the biggest splash) Sullivan and Ritchie are in their own club of designers along with Gottlieb system one designers.

I really enjoyed my CBW, but it gets really annoying to have to point out to new players that the ball is just sitting there in the shooter lane during multiball. My list was a few points to take a good game and make it great.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I really enjoyed my CBW, but it gets really annoying to have to point out to new players that the ball is just sitting there in the shooter lane during multiball. My list was a few points to take a good game and make it great.

I see.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Hardbody. I love that game but it is the worst theme and art package ever.

A BMX kind of theme would work great with that game ...

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Vic Rattlehead art and Megadeth music.

Someday ...

#83 2 years ago

IJPA. I'd add the other half of the playfield it's missing.

#84 2 years ago

Monopoly. Can't understand the current rules. Instead have the playfield Monopoly board with lights that move around from space to space. Maybe based on how many times a spinner spins when you shoot ball. Put in a target(s) of some kind to purchase a property. After you own all of the same properties, hit drop targets or ramps multiple times to add houses and ultimately hotel. Penalize other players who land on "your" properties based on your rent with or without additions. Maybe subtract extra balls also. Design it to play a lot more like the board game itself.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Monopoly. Can't understand the current rules. Instead have the playfield Monopoly board with lights that move around from space to space. Maybe based on how many times a spinner spins when you shoot ball. Put in a target(s) of some kind to purchase a property. After you own all of the same properties, hit drop targets or ramps multiple times to add houses and ultimately hotel. Penalize other players who land on "your" properties based on your rent with or without additions. Maybe subtract extra balls also. Design it to play a lot more like the board game itself.

Maybe get rid of that stupid rotating flipper too?

1 month later
    #86 2 years ago

#Hot Tip

The captive ball could be axed and a vari targets placed in its place instead.

Or

Allow for a ball return gate on the right and add a vari target.

3 months later
    #87 2 years ago

I bought Dialed In and being a Lawlor fan I was looking forward to keeping it for years but I didn't like the rules and the electric Bob target was just programmed wrong...it activated way too often. Lastly every mode was basically similar so it became a chore to play through.

#88 2 years ago

Houdini

Would be better as a widebody.

#89 2 years ago

#haunted-house would had a lcd screen, couple of ramps, multiple mods 90’s type and multi balls

#90 2 years ago

X-Men

I would keep the layout, art, music and DMD animations. I would also keep the basic backbones of the rules and game progression.

I would change the Wolverine figure, going with a more Walking Dead type bash toy that would be universally positions on all models of the game and allow room on each side for the shots to the left and right of it. I would also clean up all of the modes, ditch the craptastic callouts and actually have them record some negative callouts so the games wasn't telling you what a great job you did when failing modes.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Houdini
    Would be better as a widebody.

Ya, I hear you. Just not going to happen.
    Wide body with a left ramp would of been awesome.
    Or, upper playfield.

#92 2 years ago

CCr = Saloon doors

#93 2 years ago

Popeye - clear upper playfield (like WPT) and remove the environment theme.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-were-given-a-chance-to-redesign-a-game-what-game/page/2?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.