(Topic ID: 285178)

If you were buying your first pin, budget $4500, what would it be?

By KCPinhead

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by KCPinhead
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

46C67001-43E0-45C9-9EC8-5C7517F111CB (resized).jpeg
    33E687EA-238E-42CA-B833-221FE7515004 (resized).jpeg
    7F7E6C54-1624-4EC2-B75C-9CCFE7973389 (resized).jpeg
    97C35468-32CC-4BC3-BE5C-B6D7C6F05D85 (resized).jpeg
    545f21e608f59edf1f7dfba7568f3ddd79f160f6.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from KCPinhead:

I guess my first pre-requisite is overall quality of the game. Would love something like in the top 35 of the rankings on this site.

Realistically, you are looking at getting a stern pro or a 90s bally/williams.

It will really depend on what you are into. JP, DP, IM, ST, TWD, and MET are the forerunners for Stern. I think JP is the winner of the bunch, but it would be difficult to find if it is truly a "hard cap" budget of 4500.

Most of the bally/williams games are either above your budget or fall just outside your ideal of getting something in the top 35. The shadow, funhouse, fish tales, the getaway, judge dread, BSD, or whirlwind are all options.

I will be very direct with you...I think the game you are REALLY seeking is The Shadow. It is one of the best values out there, and has been for a longggg time. It is a top 10 pin that's hurt by a somewhat cheesy movie and alec Baldwin's mug on the translite (which most people change out to an alternate anyway). If the theme was the matrix, Harry potter, the goonies, jaws, or something of the like...there's no way it's not in the top 10.

The only other option I might suggest is to split your budget and opt to get 2 pins for each half of that $4500 cap. This brings up a lot more choices, but it may actually be better in the long run.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from KCPinhead:

You guys are certainly keeping my google fingers nimble with all of the acronyms. Ha!
    I like the idea of two solid "classic" games. I haven't seen it mentioned, but can anyone give me feedback on RFM (Revenge From Mars. I see it going very reasonably and I know the first one is epic. I am also intrigued by the 3D aspect, but it may be a bit of a novelty? I don't believe I would house this one as a solo, but maybe as a secondary pin.

Very cool pin. Priced low considering its position in the top 100. People either love or hate the video aspect, though. It easily is one of the most innovative pins of all time.

I hate that you can't fold down the head. The "bonnet" is a pain to remove, and dangerous to boot. I hope I never have to move one again. It weighs a ton. The smaller playfield is annoying to some, but it never bothered me.

If looking for one, make note if it is the original crt, replaced crt, or a led/lcd screen. Re-capping is a concern as well, and I would give great preference to one with LEDs...as this is a game that really POPS with them (of course, you can always put them in later, if you like)

#118 3 years ago

You may consider looking for a project as a second pin, or at least a lower priced game (1k or less) to learn how to fix them and get some variance in your home. You can always fix them up and/or trade to get something else while keeping your "top tier" game.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Congrats, on the GNR SE. Funny, seems like the recent trend of this type of thread the OP ups budget $2K our more.

True! Lol!!

I feel like I give sage advice...they say thank you for the advice...then buy something double the price! Lololololol

Oh, well. At least they are flipping

I have the pinball disease too, so I can't judge

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-were-buying-your-first-pin-budget-4500-what-would-it-be-?tu=daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.