(Topic ID: 285178)

If you were buying your first pin, budget $4500, what would it be?

By KCPinhead

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by KCPinhead
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

46C67001-43E0-45C9-9EC8-5C7517F111CB (resized).jpeg
    33E687EA-238E-42CA-B833-221FE7515004 (resized).jpeg
    7F7E6C54-1624-4EC2-B75C-9CCFE7973389 (resized).jpeg
    97C35468-32CC-4BC3-BE5C-B6D7C6F05D85 (resized).jpeg
    545f21e608f59edf1f7dfba7568f3ddd79f160f6.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NPO.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from KCPinhead:

Hi all.
    I have been a low-key enthusiast for many years, but I recently discovered this community. Getting ready to take the plunge and start my "collection" by buying my first machine and would love some feedback.
    I have scoped out many "best of" lists and am familiar with a lot of the games that are entrenched near the top of those lists. I just can't realistically spend $7500+ to get one of the greatest games of all time just yet. Looking to spend maybe $4500 and would love to get something to help draw my wife in a little and show her that spending the price of a car on a machine for the basement can actually be a good value.
    I love the newer, shiny, LCD & LED laden stuff (Willy Wonka, Wizard of Oz), but realize those are well out of my range at this time. I also love the more classic stuff (Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Indiana Jones), but am finding those to also be quite pricey for the age. So what's the best value out there? What's a beautiful, well-made game with tons of replayability that won't cost me my first-born to home in my basement?
    Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

Get something where the artwork doesn't go flying off just because you're playing the damn thing.

Go get a Johnny Mnemonic or a Getaway, Fishtales, Roadshow or Shadow and enjoy your game, have fun with any of those games for those price points ($3000 and up), and not have to worry about stupid ass shit like keeping the artwork on the playfield that competent companies should have fixed by now.

No way in hell would I get a Stern or JJP. Anything after TWD = WAY too big a gamble.

WAY. Too. Big.

You pay nearly $5000 and see artwork coming off, and I guarantee you, you are going to be pissed TF off. Pretty willing to bet the wife will not be amused and definitely not believe you about ANYTHING pinball related after that....

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from KCPinhead:

You guys are certainly keeping my google fingers nimble with all of the acronyms. Ha!
    I like the idea of two solid "classic" games. I haven't seen it mentioned, but can anyone give me feedback on RFM (Revenge From Mars. I see it going very reasonably and I know the first one is epic. I am also intrigued by the 3D aspect, but it may be a bit of a novelty? I don't believe I would house this one as a solo, but maybe as a secondary pin.

NO. Looks fun but it is seriously boring after doing the same shot up the middle for the 47th time in a single game. Don't do it. I thought I'd keep it forever. Sold it after 3 months or so.

Quoted from onemoresean:

BSD is my favorite machine out of my collection right now.

Not a great family pin. New members will get slaughtered without watching Bowen's tutorial. You miss the ramps, and hit nearly anything else (stationary targets) and flail like new players do, SDTM over and over and over.

OP, get Shadow or Johnny Mnemonic or Getaway. Something simple (Getaway) or a lot of shots (Shadow)/fun layout with not insanely difficult shots (JM).

If you end up buying a newer Stern or JJP and your artwork starts falling off or hardware digs into the wood of your PF, that's your fault and totally on you. You need to make sure you know the real potential problem you're getting yourself into: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern

Don't let emotion take over logic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NPO.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-were-buying-your-first-pin-budget-4500-what-would-it-be-?tu=NPO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.