(Topic ID: 189061)

If you want to cry about prices look at this 1997 price list

By pookycade

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 7.51.50 PM (resized).png
    IMG_3093 (resized).PNG
    IMG_6113 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6114 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Just started a new project Williams 64 Riverboat and what do I stumble upon inside the machine but this time capsule from 1997.

It's amazing to see that not everything has appreciated in the manner you would expect. EMs about the same.

But dear god a Twilight Zone for $1395 when Lethal Weapon 3 was going for $995 and an Eight Ball (I guess considered classic for 97) was $750 ! Boy times have changed.

IMG_6114 (resized).JPGIMG_6114 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6113 (resized).JPGIMG_6113 (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Prime Interest rate is 4% currently and has been for 9 years now. Asset inflation. The Prime Interst rate was 8.5% in 1997. That's the difference, cheap money for the past 9 years balloons prices, but it's not inflation according to the Federal Reserve, they've said for 9 years that its not called inflation anymore.

Excellent point. Yeah pinballs are not really a great investment vehicle even though we complain about rising prices. Should have invested in Apple when I had the chance. Hey at least I'm not losing money on this hobby.

What particularly struck me is how some pins have greatly accelerated in price while others have remained almost stationary over 20 years. I paid recently $400 for an Eight Ball whereas it was $750 in 97, as opposed to the Indy. Guess its just like picking the right stocks.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

$750 was a high end Retail price. So, in 1997 a retailer was asking $750 for an Eight Ball. Today - $1995? $2995? more? I'll assume that you didn't buy it from a retailer for $400.

Nah, most of my pins are projects with good playfields but not working. I then bash my head against a wall spending 20 hours getting them working again. Somehow I consider that fun, though the expletives uttered would argue otherwise.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-want-to-cry-about-prices-look-at-this?tu=pookycade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.