(Topic ID: 189061)

If you want to cry about prices look at this 1997 price list

By pookycade

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 7.51.50 PM (resized).png
    IMG_3093 (resized).PNG
    IMG_6113 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6114 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Just started a new project Williams 64 Riverboat and what do I stumble upon inside the machine but this time capsule from 1997.

It's amazing to see that not everything has appreciated in the manner you would expect. EMs about the same.

But dear god a Twilight Zone for $1395 when Lethal Weapon 3 was going for $995 and an Eight Ball (I guess considered classic for 97) was $750 ! Boy times have changed.

IMG_6114 (resized).JPGIMG_6114 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6113 (resized).JPGIMG_6113 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Let's take Flash Gordon for 600, Alex!

-Steve

#3 6 years ago

Twister $3750, Bally Evira $2000.......

#4 6 years ago

Yes but you have to keep in mind that at that time those were the going prices and while they may seem low now they were probably high back then, especially from a full blown retailer like Prestige is. I've got similar lists from other places that I'll try and post as well. Good readings.

John

#5 6 years ago

TZ and IJ cheaper than DH and JM. Good stuff

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

an Eight Ball (I guess considered classic for 97) was $750

Eight Ball is still a $750 game.

#7 6 years ago

#8 6 years ago

I had one of those $1300 TZs back in 1998, should have kept it.....sold it for $3300 in 2007 when I got out of the hobby back then......sigh.....

....and a $950 STTNG, a $1200 Safecracker, etc........

#9 6 years ago

The most interesting thing to me is how the price of a NIB Stern Pro is pretty much in line with inflation. Attack from Mars was going for $3200 then which equates to ~$5500 now.

#10 6 years ago

My net worth in 1997 would also make me cry.

#11 6 years ago

That's nothing, if you had bought $4800 of Apple stock in 1997 it would be worth $1.7 Million (give or take counting dividends).

IMG_3093 (resized).PNGIMG_3093 (resized).PNG

#13 6 years ago

That's one hell of a fruit company.

#14 6 years ago

Does't look too much different from today. The newer games are more expensive, the older ones are not.

I would be interested to see a price list from 2008-2009 when the economy was in the crapper and we had gas was $4/gal.
    Last I checked, we're still paying for shipping companies' fuel surcharges, even though gas is better now.

#15 6 years ago

I'll take the Gladiatator!

#16 6 years ago

Prime Interest rate is 4% currently and has been for 9 years now. Asset inflation. The Prime Interst rate was 8.5% in 1997. That's the difference, cheap money for the past 9 years balloons prices, but it's not inflation according to the Federal Reserve, they've said for 9 years that its not called inflation anymore.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Prime Interest rate is 4% currently and has been for 9 years now. Asset inflation. The Prime Interst rate was 8.5% in 1997. That's the difference, cheap money for the past 9 years balloons prices, but it's not inflation according to the Federal Reserve, they've said for 9 years that its not called inflation anymore.

Excellent point. Yeah pinballs are not really a great investment vehicle even though we complain about rising prices. Should have invested in Apple when I had the chance. Hey at least I'm not losing money on this hobby.

What particularly struck me is how some pins have greatly accelerated in price while others have remained almost stationary over 20 years. I paid recently $400 for an Eight Ball whereas it was $750 in 97, as opposed to the Indy. Guess its just like picking the right stocks.

#18 6 years ago

Atleast I got my JM for cheaper than that

Now I can sleep at night

I love seeing these old prices

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Does't look too much different from today. The newer games are more expensive, the older ones are not.
    I would be interested to see a price list from 2008-2009 when the economy was in the crapper and we had gas was $4/gal.
    Last I checked, we're still paying for shipping companies' fuel surcharges, even though gas is better now.

What the heck is going on with gas prices?!

A week ago I saw gas as low as $2.13 and as high as $2.58 on my way to Allentown. Today it was $1.83 locally. That's crazy.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

What particularly struck me is how some pins have greatly accelerated in price while others have remained almost stationary over 20 years. I paid recently $400 for an Eight Ball whereas it was $750 in 97

$750 was a high end Retail price. So, in 1997 a retailer was asking $750 for an Eight Ball. Today - $1995? $2995? more? I'll assume that you didn't buy it from a retailer for $400.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from BrooklynDrug:

Twister $3750, Bally Evira $2000.......

Gameplay...I'd choose Twister. Not even remotely joking.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

$750 was a high end Retail price. So, in 1997 a retailer was asking $750 for an Eight Ball. Today - $1995? $2995? more? I'll assume that you didn't buy it from a retailer for $400.

Nah, most of my pins are projects with good playfields but not working. I then bash my head against a wall spending 20 hours getting them working again. Somehow I consider that fun, though the expletives uttered would argue otherwise.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

There's a nice one on eBay for $8500 right now.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Somehow I consider that fun, though the expletives uttered would argue otherwise.

You're my twin, then.

#25 6 years ago

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

What the heck is going on with gas prices?!
    A week ago I saw gas as low as $2.13 and as high as $2.58 on my way to Allentown. Today it was $1.83 locally. That's crazy.

Some oil company exec needed a new plane... Or it was the weekend. Oh wait they don't raise the prices for the holiday or weekends. That would be wrong...

#27 6 years ago

Made me cry just a little bit NOT as much as when a guy i used to work with (one who gave me a Super Hang On machine and a cocktail cab he had sitting under his house), who told me that back in the 80's/90's he used to have many machines in various locations locally. At the end of the arcade boom when most kids were getting into Playstations, etc and there were very few places you could play pins/arcade machines he decided to get out of the business and sell off his machines (about 130 all up, including about 45 pins). He stated that at the time no-one was interested in buying machines in bulk lots and after a year or more he finally offloaded all he had in one sale for the sum of $10,000 Aus. When i quizzed him about what machines he sold in the bulk lot i was stunned, 4 x Addams Family, 5 x Twilight Zone, a couple of Attack From Mars and the list went on, including several Daytona USA Twins. I cried inside for WEEKS
    I'm guessing there would be quite a few people who have experienced something similar......OH for a bloody time machine, cash and the now gained insight.

3 months later
    #28 6 years ago

Flash forward to 2017, always good to know your merch.

Machine - For Sale
    Dragonfist Archived
    Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “Fully functioning Dragonfist in good condition with some PF wear on Bruce's shoulder. Send text and I will send pics. Hard to find this title as a small number were produced ... it...”
    2017-09-11
    Phoenix, AZ
    3,500 (OBO)
    Archived after: 5 days
    Viewed: 142 times

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 7.51.50 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-09-12 at 7.51.50 PM (resized).png

#29 6 years ago

If that dragonfist was closer I would have bought it already! Super rare!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-want-to-cry-about-prices-look-at-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.