(Topic ID: 115340)

If You Want to Be Awesome at Iron Man...

By beelzeboob

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by boo32
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

...just play the one at the Whiteface Lodge at Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid, NY. Has anyone else here played that machine?

I've only played IM a few times and failed miserably. It's a hard game. So on a break from skiing, I saw they had one in the lodge and pumped two bucks in to get three games.

Five games later, I had won two free games by matching numbers and four free games by hitting the replay threshold, which was set to between 12 and 13 million (and didn't go up every time I hit it).

I finally got tired of the game and gave my four remaining credits to some kids who were nearby. (I'd been playing for a good half hour already!)

The morals of the story:

1. If you want to feel like a pinball wizard, go skiing at Whiteface.
2. Always give unused credits to a kid. You just might be creating a future pinhead.
3. IM isn't always tough if you just make the robot rise up, then beat the shit out of him repeatedly until you get multiball...then beat the shit out of him again. (Am I missing something with this game, or is it actually that easy?) War Machine kickout still sucks though, no matter where you play it.

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

3. IM isn't always tough if you just make the robot rise up, then beat the shit out of him repeatedly until you get multiball...then beat the shit out of him again. (Am I missing something with this game, or is it actually that easy?) War Machine kickout still sucks though, no matter where you play it.

Getting 12-13mill a game is pretty easy, Ive been hitting 30mill+ on average lately plus getting to Jericho every game but not completing it. Love this game! I pitched mine very aggressively, ball really zings through the inlanes, don't blink or its gone.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Getting 12-13mill a game is pretty easy, Ive been hitting 30mill+ on average lately plus getting to Jericho every game but not completing it. Love this game! I pitched mine very aggressively, ball really zings though the inlanes, don't blink or its gone.

That was my point. I suck and kept getting free games. I think they set it up that way to keep you off the ski lift.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

War Machine kickout still sucks though, no matter where you play it.

Dead bounce
Dead bounce
Dead bounce

repeat this 100 times..

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think they set it up that way to keep you off the ski lift.

Operator must not like money?

#6 9 years ago

Funny,I did the same thing Sat. Took the family out to a pizza place specifically because they had a Simpson's Pinball Party. I was having some long plays and I noticed an early teen girl messing with her phone like she was waiting for me to finish. I could tell my family was ready to go so I passed on my remaining plays to the next generation.

Interesting enough the kids let lose in the mini arcade at the restuarant weren't very interested in Simpsons until they saw me play it. However, hey were feeding quarters in the old William's Base Hit consistently.

#7 9 years ago

I'm about to put an IM on location and I'm going to make damn sure it's dialed in to be as generous as possible. No way I want to scare people off this awesome machine. Theme should draw in kids but it will then beat them mercilessly to death.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Dead bounce
Dead bounce
Dead bounce
repeat this 100 times..

SDTM
SDTM
SDTM

That's what I was repeating every time I hit War Machine. The pitch must've been off...

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

SDTM
SDTM
SDTM
That's what I was repeating every time I hit War Machine. The pitch must've been off...

That's just mean. Who would do that? It always feels weird getting down on your knees on location and trying to fix the leg levellers though doesn't it?

#10 9 years ago

Iron Man: 5 minutes to learn, a lifetime to master.

#11 9 years ago

If you want to be better at IM......Play better!

#12 9 years ago

I played an IM on location when it first came out and every WM kick out was SDTM. Hated the game just for that and it took a friend getting one set up properly in his garage to really appreciate the simple brutality you face when you hit the start button.

#13 9 years ago

The only reason you got bored of the game is because you THOUGHT you were awesome at it and decided that the artificially low set free credits made you think you had achieved something you had not. The free credits should have inspired you to see if you could accomplish the bigger goals in the game that mattered.. Do or Die plus Jericho.

If you had all the free credits that was the perfect time to work on your skills and see if you could master IM for a lot cheaper than most get to.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

If you had all the free credits that was the perfect time to work on your skills and see if you could master IM for a lot cheaper than most get to.

Although, if the game is set up sorta crappy it might not be much fun to play, I rarely drop in quarters for more than 1-2games on any route game in my area.

#15 9 years ago

Based on the couple machines I've played, the difficulty of Iron Man varies a ton based mostly on the outlane setup, sensitivity of the slings, and the software settings for both the difficulty of raising the monger and whether or not the outer loop diverter is enabled.

If the monger's on one of the easier settings and the diverter's off, then yeah, 15 million+ all day. A hard plunge with the diverter down and intentional immediate drain/repeat will raise the monger in about ten seconds. I'm (un)lucky enough that they set up the one that was on route near me stupid hard for the PAPA circuit in Austin last year and then never re-adjusted it after the fact, but they did have the diverter off.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Am I missing something with this game, or is it actually that easy?

As mentioned above, 12-13M is pretty low. Especially if it's fixed at that level. Should reflex higher by default. To qualify in the recent Radio Shack win-an-IM tourney you had to score 50M. Before the month was over 16 people qualified and guys started bumping each other out of the top 16. No ringers from out of the area either. Sounds like you had fun though, and that's all that matters.

I give free games to kids all the time. While playing WCS at the sporstplex tonight, a cute little girl barely taller than the lockdown bar wandered up and started telling me I was doing it wrong. She even reached up over the siderail to tell me (point at) where to shoot. At the time, I had already won a replay and had over 1B points on my current game. Ball 2. I cradled the ball and pointed these things out to her, then asked her if she was sure about her evaluation of my play. She smiled, turned around and wandered away. I left 2 credits on the game when I left. Kids rock.

#17 9 years ago

Next time your coming to Long Island pm me , you can come play my IM. you will notice the difference in gameplay from the one at the ski lodge right away. Sounds like the operator had it set just right for the public to play it.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

The only reason you got bored of the game is because you THOUGHT you were awesome at it and decided that the artificially low set free credits made you think you had achieved something you had not. The free credits should have inspired you to see if you could accomplish the bigger goals in the game that mattered.. Do or Die plus Jericho.

No...you missed my point. I knew it was set too easy. As I said, I'd had problems with it before (most notably at PAPA), so I know it's a hard game. And while the free credits may have inspired me to play more, the $100 lift tickets inspired me to do some skiing and save the pinball for another time.

#19 9 years ago

I love how the title of this thread is how to be awesome at iron man and the scores touted are 12-13 million which aren't awesome at all especially with the machine set pretty easy.

#20 9 years ago

Yes...it was a tongue-in-cheek title. You didn't really think you were going to get playing advice from a suck-ass player like me, did you?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yes...it was a tongue-in-cheek title. You didn't really think you were going to get playing advice from a suck-ass player like me, did you?

That's what makes it awesome

After reading the post, I'm like WTF I didn't learn anything other than to get higher scores set the machine easier!

#22 9 years ago

12-13 million?
When I sold mine the high score I set was over 200 mil.

#23 9 years ago

Well, I got it up to over 30 million when I was playing. I was just saying they set the replay score at between 12 and 13 million. I may suck...but I'm not completely pathetic!

#24 9 years ago

Monger set at hard, outlanes wide open, pitch set high, top post disabled. Everything else at factory.
Yeeeehaaaaaaaa.

#25 9 years ago

I've personally never seen a replay score on a newer Stern fixed. The higher your score the higher the replay score goes. I think powering off the game and powering it back on would reset the replay score to the default. I assume you would lose your credits though.

So it might start at 12 mil but if you score a 30 mil the next game it would go to 18 mil etc..

#26 9 years ago

Trust me...I was surprised, too. But if the replay score moved, it wasn't by any noticeable amount and I was able to get multiple free games with limited skill.

Just wondering how the monger difficulty setting effects the game when you set it harder. This was really ridiculously easy. The robot would come up, you bash it until you spell monger, then multiball would start and you bash it until you spell monger again. That's how I got most of my points (along with whiplash multiball). What does the harder setting effect?

#27 9 years ago

The harder setting means you have to hit the spinners 10 times to get him to come up and then have to hit him seven times once he comes up in order to light the jackpot. I played a game where he came up after three shots to the spinner. The confusing thing is you are spelling out iron monger but there are only lights for monger so I have people asking me if the spinners are not registering. It is easier to follow now that the new code allows you to check your progress.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 24.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-want-to-be-awesome-at-iron-man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.