(Topic ID: 204623)

If you thought PinStadium lights were good, get a look at our setup.

By TheBEAVR

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Vdrums
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

weird_al_split (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    pinstadiumcult.gif
    tumblr_ohrpkwDEDD1qg7mgao1_500.gif
    reactor9and3quarters.gif
    image (resized).png
    zNYkNMdZBx-12 (resized).png
    thatsthejoke (resized).jpg
    IMG_1847 (resized).PNG
    care-o-meter.gif
    6 (resized).JPG
    DSC_2090 (resized).JPG
    DSC_4862 (resized).JPG
    DSC_5300 (resized).JPG
    939d5dbe9ddb039132d298c79e116f97426a3900.png (resized).jpg
    3E1B3C34-50CD-43B8-BA1D-1C99D4329EAE (resized).jpeg
    There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Did you provide a discount code to people after you posted a review? No right? I think that's what is turning people off is that there are new videos popping up of "reviews" and then at the end of the insanely positive review of the product you're offered a discount code which obviously means that person gets a cut if you go and buy them using their code. You start thinking was that even a review considering now you understand the game at hand. I rather they just tell you up front this is an advertisement etc.
    On the flip side the product seems like another great option for people to have so why not. I'm still thinking about getting a set for one of mine. OPs video is a joke which some people seem to forget these days.

Example please delt31 because I have have not seen this, not saying it doesn't happen, just interested, thanks.

#102 6 years ago

Check out the Canadian arcade YouTube channel - they even have review in the title. I like their videos btw and enjoyed watching the install/his feedback on the product and then bam it hits you with the discount code. I would have no issue but they label it review yet make no mention they are working with pinstadium even though they have to be considering I was just offered a discount code.

To me it all seems unnecessary as the product speaks for itself and looks good enough for me to probably try a pair.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Check out the Canadian arcade YouTube channel. Posted their installation video. I like their videos btw and enjoyed watching the install and then bam it hits you with the discount code.
    » YouTube video

Fair enough but that's still a big difference from the random Pinsider review being posted.

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm usually not a big fan of moderation but the unfounded accusations of people being paid shills for him deserve serious moderation in my opinion because they are attacks on the character of other pinsiders.

And how close are you to Cincinnati exactly? Ah... 20 minutes what a shock.

Quoted from delt31:

I like their videos btw and enjoyed watching the install/his feedback on the product and then bam it hits you with the discount code....

Well in his "defense" the review starts out with a Pinstadium COMMERCIAL.

#105 6 years ago

My wife has been sent free products lately just because she has HUNDREDS of facebook friends (ie: NOT a lot), but she's in contact with other moms, so even with the small numbers still an "influencer" and I've found the whole thing pretty eye opening.

I mean, if she is being sent stuff to promote "if she likes it", to her relative small numbers, how much of this is going on now all over the place? It isn't just the Kardashians.

It's fair to bring this issue up publicly.

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

And how close are you to Cincinnati exactly? Ah... 20 minutes what a shock.

Ah damn, you got me Sherlock! Everyone in the tri-state area just lines up to shill this product! Now, would you like to do some actual work and see where I've posted that these kits are not for everyone or every game? No, of course you wouldn't.

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I mean, if she is being sent stuff to promote "if she likes it", to her relative small numbers, how much of this is going on now all over the place?

They need to be sending pinball machines to promote if we like it.

LTG : )

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

My wife has been sent free products lately just because she has HUNDREDS of facebook friends (ie: NOT a lot), but she's in contact with other moms, so even with the small numbers still an "influencer" and I've found the whole thing pretty eye opening.
    I mean, if she is being sent stuff to promote "if she likes it", to her relative small numbers, how much of this is going on now all over the place? It isn't just the Kardashians.

Thats a fair observation and it does happen in all business. But in this case wouldn't you Think someone along the way would have said "I bought these PS lights and hated them! or I didn't like them!, or they didn't work as claimed?" There are none. Yes you can sway a buyer but its not as easy to sway their opinion. Especially in this hobby and More so in this forum!

#109 6 years ago

What a thread, haha. Speaking on behalf of SDTM: a pinball show alone (Greg and I), we are not given a cut for promoting a discount code for Pin Stadium Lights.

I personally purchased the product early on, reached out to Scott and asked if he was interested in sponsoring the show, because I love the product. In the process, we got to know Scott and really appreciate his enthusiasm and dedication to the hobby. He is now a friend. Greg and I didn’t want to add to the back and forth of this discussion because a) not really our place because we are biased no one can argue that, and b) it wasn’t the most tactful way of discussing an issue in the pinball community that we all love.

SDTM’s sponsorship with Pin Stadium Lights is super simple. We only team up with sponsors who provide products that we support AND are run by people that we support. No bullshit, we will never push what we don’t wholeheartedly think is bad ass for us all as collectors. That way, Greg and I can truly geek out on pinball shit that we love. The coupon code is a way for fans to save on the product while increasing the exposure to our SDTM channel. The product will sell itself without the coupon code, but Scott wanted to make it a nice benefit for our viewers.

Having said that, we get it. It’s a controversial product on many levels.

1) The initial release and marketing of Pin Stadium Lights was heavy and Scott quickly learned how to balance his advertisements while still staying true to how he wants to present his idea.

2. The controversy of LED lighting will always be present here in the community.

The issue truly is that Scott is a good guy. If you talk to him at shows, he is a huge pinball fan and is dedicated to the growth of this hobby. It did kinda hurt to see the guy get kicked around when he’s on everyone's team. He is one of the good ones.

This is my own personal opinion, but I believe the style of marketing frustrated some, but instead of giving that feedback, some are taking it out on the product instead. You guys, the product is cool. For some, there are not enough benefits to purchase a set, that’s fair. Claims of it being too bright, too colorful, etc. is liking saying companies providing LEDs are the reason for blown-out colored GI in machines. The system can be turned down to minimal levels but many of us (guilty here) turn them up high because we like the effect.

Our apologies for going on and on here just felt like offering a true perspective once accusations came out about people getting a cut for providing a discount code, which is a reflection on SDTM: a pinball show, as well as others. We respect and enjoy dealing with many in this forum and can respect the discussion about a pinball product. One can only hope that personal attacks be moderated and jokes can be laughed at. I have a couple sets of lights on my machines and if anyone truly wants more information, pros and cons, of the system I would enjoy the conversation. I freaking love this hobby! Just shoot me a text or private message here on Pinside. Thanks again guys and gals.

- Zach
    SDTM: a pinball show

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

What a thread, haha. Speaking on behalf of SDTM: a pinball show alone (Greg and I), we are not given a cut for promoting a discount code for Pin Stadium Lights.
    I personally purchased the product early on, reached out to Scott and asked if he was interested in sponsoring the show, because I love the product. In the process, we got to know Scott and really appreciate his enthusiasm and dedication to the hobby. He is now a friend. Greg and I didn’t want to add to the back and forth of this discussion because a) not really our place because we are biased no one can argue that, and b) it wasn’t the most tactful way of discussing an issue in the pinball community that we all love.
    SDTM’s sponsorship with Pin Stadium Lights is super simple. We only team up with sponsors who provide products that we support AND are run by people that we support. No bullshit, we will never push what we don’t wholeheartedly think is bad ass for us all as collectors. That way, Greg and I can truly geek out on pinball shit that we love. The coupon code is a way for fans to save on the product while increasing the exposure to our SDTM channel. The product will sell itself without the coupon code, but Scott wanted to make it a nice benefit for our viewers.
    Having said that, we get it. It’s a controversial product on many levels.
    1) The initial release and marketing of Pin Stadium Lights was heavy and Scott quickly learned how to balance his advertisements while still staying true to how he wants to present his idea.
    2. The controversy of LED lighting will always be present here in the community.
    The issue truly is that Scott is a good guy. If you talk to him at shows, he is a huge pinball fan and is dedicated to the growth of this hobby. It did kinda hurt to see the guy get kicked around when he’s on everyone's team. He is one of the good ones.
    This is my own personal opinion, but I believe the style of marketing frustrated some, but instead of giving that feedback, some are taking it out on the product instead. You guys, the product is cool. For some, there are not enough benefits to purchase a set, that’s fair. Claims of it being too bright, too colorful, etc. is liking saying companies providing LEDs are the reason for blown-out colored GI in machines. The system can be turned down to minimal levels but many of us (guilty here) turn them up high because we like the effect.
    Our apologies for going on and on here just felt like offering a true perspective once accusations came out about people getting a cut for providing a discount code, which is a reflection on SDTM: a pinball show, as well as others. We respect and enjoy dealing with many in this forum and can respect the discussion about a pinball product. One can only hope that personal attacks be moderated and jokes can be laughed at. I have a couple sets of lights on my machines and if anyone truly wants more information, pros and cons, of the system I would enjoy the conversation. I freaking love this hobby! Just shoot me a text or private message here on Pinside. Thanks again guys and gals.
    - Zach
    SDTM: a pinball show

Zach - are you speaking in general or just for SDTM? My comment isn't associated with your show (as you make it crystal clear that PS is one of your advertisers/supporters). Seems like the discount codes used are specific to the show which led me to believe there is a cut - why else would it be specific to the show vs a general code. Regardless I also think the product is a great alternative and something I might actually purchase - I'm just not down with the over saturation and owner thread PS bombs to notify owners of the difference (DI being the latest in my experience). I've PM'd the owner before - he's super responsive and seems like a nice guy. Cost is holding me back (they're lights but 250+ when you add in must haves like GI) but again would have no issue doing business with him just stating my experience.

SDTM - my #1 fav pinball show btw.

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Seems like the discount codes used are specific to the show which led me to believe there is a cut - why else would it be specific to the show vs a general code.

Doubt they are getting a cut, but rather The Pinstadium guy is able to track where orders are coming from. I've used this method of tracking before and it was very useful in knowing where my sponsor dollars were being used best.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Zach - are you speaking in general or just for SDTM? My comment isn't associated with your show (as you make it crystal clear that PS is one of your advertisers/supporters). Seems like the discount codes used are specific to the show which led me to believe there is a cut - why else would it be specific to the show vs a general code. Regardless I also think the product is a great alternative and something I might actually purchase - I'm just not down with the over saturation and owner thread PS bombs to notify owners of the difference (DI being the latest in my experience). I've PM'd the owner before - he's super responsive and seems like a nice guy. Cost is holding me back (they're lights but 250+ when you add in must haves like GI) but again would have no issue doing business with him just stating my experience.
    SDTM - my #1 fav pinball show btw.

Thanks buddy! I like going back and forth with you too haha. To answer your question, just speaking for SDTM, not in general.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

You should see the $&?#%show that the Disney social networking is.... the people they bring in for their Disney moms stuff and hosted shows are comically bad.

#114 6 years ago

I think the tipping point for me was the post in the DI thread with the clearly photoshopped photo of a DARK game, when DI has some of the brightest GI and best lit playfields around.

So, not only was he spamming EVERY game thread, he was outright LYING to sell his overpriced crap.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Doubt they are getting a cut, but rather The Pinstadium guy is able to track where orders are coming from. I've used this method of tracking before and it was very useful in knowing where my sponsor dollars were being used best.

that's exactly my point though - sponsored dollars. SDTM makes it clear right up front PS is a sponsor. Totally understand that and appreciate that. Others though - it's not clear. I just ask for a little more up front notification of what is being sponsored and what isn't.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Is the girl included, and is she HUO?

Nah, she's been routed...

#117 6 years ago

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

overpriced crap.

Wait wait wait wait wait....wait........wait......wait......wait....a......sec...

Lemme get this right. We're going to rail against this guy for providing a product at a cost that's giving him a decent profit margin, but how many other bloody things as a community do we buy from mod makers that are just ridiculously overpriced for what they are? I mean....f--k, man...that is **PDI'S ENTIRE BUSINESS MODEL**, and this community still supports PDI and will jump to their defense anytime it's pointed out that they're selling a 35 dollar toilet paper holder as a 500 dollar topper.... come on!

Pinball ownership has one tenet, and only one tenet: You learn, or you pay. I =hate= paying, so I learned PCB repair, how to make my own strip lightning for undercab and head boards, crimping, doing playfield swaps, etc etc etc. I've never paid a tech in the 6.5 years I've been in the hobby. I have bought mods, but very few and far between on the uber-expensive ones (ColorDMD, PDI glass...only 1 time for either of those for example)....like...I can't even fathom the people paying an extra 20 bucks or whatever for pingulps that are flat-painted with some stenciled logo on it, but people are doing it, and nobody is crucifying the people selling THOSE...

Before the PCB power boards for mods became a thing, I actually had a pretty decent racket going selling squid-type power splitters for like half the cost of what anyone else was charging for them. Did they look 'professional' like the expensive ones? Nope. Were they absolutely safe to use and wrapped up so there wouldn't be wires all over the place? Yep. *smh*

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Wait wait wait wait wait....wait........wait......wait......wait....a......sec.......**PDI'S ENTIRE BUSINESS MODEL**,
    ....like...I can't even fathom the people paying an extra 20 bucks or whatever for pingulps that are flat-painted with some stenciled logo on it, but people are doing it, and nobody is crucifying the people selling THOSE...

Actually I talk shit aboot those products quite a lot.

Quoted from bobukcat:

Ah damn, you got me Sherlock! Everyone in the tri-state area just lines up to shill this product! Now, would you like to do some actual work and see where I've posted that these kits are not for everyone or every game? No, of course you wouldn't.

Maybe you can do some actual work and look into what the kidding emoticon looks like.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

We're going to rail against this guy for providing a product at a cost that's giving him a decent profit margin, but how many other bloody things as a community do we buy from mod makers that are just ridiculously overpriced for what they are?

The fact that he's selling something you can get on Amazon for $45 is just icing on the cake of his lying spam. If you prefer to concentrate just on the lying and the spamming, I'm fine with that.

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The fact that he's selling something you can get on Amazon for $45 is just icing on the cake of his lying spam. If you prefer to concentrate just on the lying and the spamming, I'm fine with that.

Now that’s a bit of a stretch. I’m sure you can get the LED strips for cheap but there is more involved in the whole kit than that. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think he’s selling something that totals just 45 bucks. But I do think that the total price of them is a lot especially if you go with the extra options.

#122 6 years ago

News Flash: a Big Mac at McDonalds costs them 77 cents to make.

#123 6 years ago

This thread is in direct competition with "a dark night for Stern" for the most stupid thread on this site. I'm not complaining mind you its highly entertaining.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

You sell art prints, right? Busting on someone for how much their raw materials cost is an interesting argument from that stance...

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbossfan:

What a dick.
    Personally I like my PinStadiums, and I get the POV of those who don't. Every mod isn't for everybody. But to create a thread to slam someone's product. Uncalled for and unclassy.

I am sure even Pinstadium is laughing at this. C'mon man, it's not a slam, it's just a gag thread. Christ on a Cracker Bro.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheBEAVR:

Introducing our concept of PinFLOODLIGHTS for your pinball machine. Tired of other lighting mods not making sure every last inch of the playfield is not lit with the beautiful sight of light like God created? Then this kit is for you. Not only will it light up the whole playfield, along with keeping you having an epileptic seizure when playing AFMr, it will light up the whole damn room. PinFLOODLIGHTs are 87% brighter than other similar lighting methods. Guaranteed to make it nearly impossible to determine which inserts are actually lit.
    *You may need to contact the US DOE about getting the reactor from the USS Dallas to power our kits.
    I'm not the brainchild behind this awesome mod, just the marketing guy. I can't take the full credit on something this great.

I would appreciate you not using my photos and photoshopping them to spread your BS opinion ...they don't cause any issues with gameplay..i almost backed out because of reading and listening to the naysayers on here but went again with my own wait and see attitude and couldn't be happier! Some people have nothing else to do but spread negativity...

#127 6 years ago

I wasn’t even aware of this lighting mod until this thread. Looks like a cool product!

#128 6 years ago

I think a guy named PT Barnum said “Fortune always favors the brave, and never helps a man who does not help himself ” so we should quit ragging on a guy trying to make a buck - mind you he also said "a sucker is born every minute " so yes some of us may be suckers but then again when it comes to a lot of Mod's that we pay for i think most of us fall into this category.

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from jake35:

The guy has gone beyond advertising with his dozens of paid "reviews" spamming every pinball group and forum possible. It had gotten beyond ridiculous when every 3 hours someone posts up a review in the same way everyone else has, allowing him to vicariously spam everyone on a regular basis with overpriced strip lights.

Its called a motivated business owner with a cool new product he is trying to sell....heaven forbid...to top it off he is super responsive and helpful! I work with electronics daily and am not worried about taking the time to build my own when I can help support the little guy for his time and effort on his product that doesn't look like some home brew stuff and actually looks grade A work!

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Complete dick post. Do you want people adding up the cost of what you sell?

#131 6 years ago

Every high-profile poster here takes some shots. Why should Pinstadium be any exception?

#132 6 years ago

I always enjoy the under $1.00 Flour, water, and egg, with Tomatoes, that becomes a $25 Italian dinner!

#133 6 years ago

I agree that everyone has different tastes and can do with their money what they like. I also hate it when they buy something like this and list the game for sale soon after. Then they give a huge list what they put into it from the $269 lighting kit to the price of the balls. This is one more thing driving up the prices of games by people probably not in it for the long haul.

There is a Dialed-In at The Sanctum and it is a very bright game. So I don't know about those "before" pictures they posted.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

News Flash: a Big Mac at McDonalds costs them 77 cents to make.

Yes, but they actually make something new from those raw materials that most people couldn't necessarily do themselves, whereas here's everything he's offering but the L-bracket.

http://a.co/8yXynwl

Anyway, that's not the point. Yes, tons of people sell overpriced mods. But the point is he's LYING about lighting on games to SELL unneeded lighting.

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Yes, but they actually make something new from those raw materials that most people couldn't necessarily do themselves, whereas here's everything he's offering but the L-bracket.
    Anyway, that's not the point. Yes, tons of people sell overpriced mods. But the point is he's LYING about lighting on games to SELL unneeded lighting.

Please help me to understand where he is lying?

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from BladeFury:

Please help me to understand where he is lying?

Check out that "dark" Dialed In.

Pinstadium Dialed InPinstadium Dialed In

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Two points to consider:
    1. Lighting and the (lack of) need for it is in the eye (and taste) of the beholder;
    2. You would think the average Pinsider would be able to figure out whether or not they NEED this product for their particular game.

So it's not lying, it's just promoting and marketing his product. Same thing happens in golf. EVERY single driver GUARANTEES you an extra 30 yards. This ball goes further (farther) than any other, and there's a sand wedge that guarantees you'll get out of the bunker on your first shot every time. So the guy isn't hurting anybody or anything marketing his product. Let the discerning Pinsider eye decide for themselves what's good and what isn't.

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Two points to consider:
    1. Lighting and the (lack of) need for it is in the eye (and taste) of the beholder;
    So it's not lying,

Jwilson is saying the pictures are doctored, Whixh is a little diff'rent than your point

#139 6 years ago

Taking a properly exposed and color-correct image of a lit playfield requires skill that few possess. Pics from the average Joe are going to be bad. Even pics from most vendors are bad. Problem is the range of intensities from the shadows to the highlights is simply too broad and the exposure gets screwed up. So, for any Pinstadium Before pics that are overly dark I think it's more likely they're botched exposures than doctored photos. And I don't see a pattern of overly dark pics on the Pinstadium site. There's a broad range of pics on there. Looks honest to me.

I know I called BS in another thread where the spotlight bulbs were removed in the before pic, but that was a customer upload. Only gripe with the vendor at this point is a pattern of over-posting.

Here are some playfield pics of mine. Even with nice gear and some skill I mostly can't get it right. The LOTR is closest to spot-on. Hopefully getting the message across that lit playfield photography is hard and you can't rely on photos for accurate depiction of brightness.

DSC_2090 (resized).JPGDSC_2090 (resized).JPG

DSC_4862 (resized).JPGDSC_4862 (resized).JPG

DSC_5300 (resized).JPGDSC_5300 (resized).JPG

6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG

#140 6 years ago

This thread is reaching new levels of stupid. People are really getting after him for the before and after pics. It’s advertising not a court room. You know what I opened a Corona today and I was not teleported to a beach in Mexico, such bullshit. I’m never drinking beer again I just can’t support such shady advertising. The level of salt in this thread is just sad. The whole it’s just a joke could not be more transparent.

#141 6 years ago

Yep and the real sad part about all of this is this guy is one hell of a nice guy and he wouldn’t cheat or mislead anybody for any reason. He loves pinball and he’s an asset to the hobby, one of the good guys and people are on here talking terrible about his product.....a product that is a great product by the way. What makes matters even worse is they are questioning his integrity and actually calling him a liar and they don’t even know him. If they did know him, they would not be saying these things and they would really like him because he is a good person and a stand up guy.

He has sold a lot of these lights and everyone is very happy with their purchase as far as I know and many people buy more sets off of him to put on all of their games. He also stands behind his product and his customer service is unbelievable. This is Pinside though and I wouldn’t expect anything different because that’s just how this place is. I bet most if not all of the people that are dragging his name and product through the mud haven’t even seen it in person, and I guarantee you that they have never met him because if they had they would never even consider calling this man a liar because he isn’t one and he’s a great guy.

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Check out that "dark" Dialed In.

LOL

Why on Earth would someone want to flood light a Dialed In? It's one of the "brightest" games ever made!

You can make ANY pin look dark with a cell phone camera or photoshop. Strange things afoot at the Circle K.

#143 6 years ago

Jesus get a room with the guy already

#144 6 years ago

A thread on "how to bully someone". disgusting.

#145 6 years ago

Why does this thread keep popping up.....Why can't I make it go away......Oh wait there is a button for that

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

A thread on "how to bully someone". disgusting.

Most jokes are at someones expense. Do you label them all as bullying? Is humor dead?

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

Nah, she's been routed...

I was afraid of that. Oh well, I’ll take the 3 plays for $2 please.

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Most jokes are at someones expense. Do you label them all as bullying? Is humor dead?

If you know the person you are poking fun at, and they are ok with it, then no. Targeting someone specific kinda is. Anyone who has been on the receiving side of this understands.
    Remember, how you treat other people, especially those you don't know says the most about your character. Just sayin....

#150 6 years ago

care-o-meter.gifcare-o-meter.gif

There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-thought-pinstadium-lights-were-good-get-a-look-at-our-setup/page/3?hl=dee-bow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.