New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 104576)

If you take PayPal for any purchase you may be in for big surprise.

By toddsvec

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMAG5413.jpg
    IMAG5412.jpg
    ebayreturnpolicy.png

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 6 years ago

In the UK Paypal take 3.4% + 20p per transaction, and 5% + 5p per transaction for micropayments.

Now, if I must take Paypal for an ebay payment, I request the buyer pays the fees or pay by bank transfer. Sure, ebay don't like that, but I won't be shafted by them any longer.

2 weeks later
    #102 6 years ago

Got my first 'taste' of the new eBay system this week.

Guy buys a ROM from me. It's for a game that requires the CPU be rejumpered as the newer version of the ROM is on a larger chip.

Customer files a case to return the chip, because it's 'defective', his CPU won't boot with it installed, but it boots fine with his 'old' ROM. Yes, the description for the item said the board had to be rejumpered to use the ROM.

Customer never gives me a chance to work with him or fix the problem, he just clicks that he wants to return it.

eBay says let him return it, and by the way, you're paying the return shipping now. Or, you can let him keep it, and just refund him and not eat any return shipping.

There's no option for me to contact the buyer, there's no required attempt from the buyer to work with me to try and fix the problem, I just get told to refund him, and pay the return shipping if I want my item back. And, they are going to count it against me as a 'defect'. They just assume that the customer is right and the item is defective.

And, after the refund, I still have to pay the related eBay and PayPal fees on the transaction, even though they want me to refund the guy.

Now, if I refund this guy, it doesn't change my life. I end up taking a transaction where my profit *might* have been 2 bucks, and it turns it into an approximate loss of 10 bucks.

My time is worth something, the couple hours I spend on the phone with eBay in this whole situation is worth a heck of a lot more to me than that 10 dollar loss.

Seems like eBay has ruined a good thing. I think eBay worked pretty well 10 years ago. The customer is NOT always right.

#103 6 years ago

And so the fall of ebay begins...

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

And so the fall of ebay begins...

I doubt it. They've been doing stupid sh*t for years now. There are more people joining eBay than leaving, I'd guess.

#105 6 years ago

I don't. More and more people are moving away from eBay, not joining up. While their changes are going to short term be profitable to them, because in cases like this (in eBay's eyes, John is at fault so they will keep all fees), but John ain't gonna bend over too often. And it's probably easy to count how many people "joined" eBay, but if you read the discussion boards, a lot of those are throwaway accounts for one time buys where they actually don't pay, or they scam the seller. And when a seller "leaves" eBay, most don't really close their account, they just stop selling. I for one will cut down a lot of my selling, if not all of it November 1st, and I sell thousands of parts a year on eBay.

Why November 1st? Well, you can opt out, but you do so at a cost. It's called eBay's new extended holiday return policy: "You give buyers until January 31 to return any item purchased between November 1 and December 31." If you opt out, you lose your "Top Rated Seller" status (if you have one, I do) which means the loss of 20% discount on fees. And this is for anything, all they have to do is say it was a gift, as if they even have to ask.

And remember, the customer is always right John!

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I doubt it. They've been doing stupid sh*t for years now. There are more people joining eBay than leaving, I'd guess.

Yeah, the golden years of ebay are long gone. It's tough to find a bargain, and tough to sell because of the risk, scammers, fees, new policies, etc.

I'm kind of rooting for the fall of ebay to let something else take its place.

I still think it's a decent idea for the pinside community to find a new service to (unofficially) endorse over ebay.

#107 6 years ago

Exact same thing happen to me. Except I received positive feedback from the buyer saying that they loved the item, fast shipping, etc... Ebay still sided with the buyer and PayPal removed the funds. Lost about $100 on that. That was THE last time I sold anything on eBay.

Quoted from asay:

Ebay's policies are ridiculously one sided towards buyers. It's especially frustrating because the sellers are the one's paying arm & leg to use the service.
    A while back I sold an item, the buyer paid, and I shipped it the next day with tracking. A couple weeks later, the buyer opens a dispute saying they never received the item. That's strange, tracking info says it was delivered. Wouldn't ya know.. the dispute was settled in the buyer's favor because I didn't require a signature. The money was refunded out of my paypal account automatically, I had ZERO recourse or choice in the matter despite my 100% feedback over 10 years. Absolutely ridiculous. And scammers are catching wind of this...it's too easy to buy something and just say you never got it. Instant refund, no proof required.
    And on top of all this, YOU CAN'T LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK FOR BUYERS ANYMORE. That's right, positive feedback or no feedback. Meanwhile buyers are free to leave negative feedback and trash a seller after they've scammed them. Ebay is a joke for sellers anymore.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I still think it's a decent idea for the pinside community to find a new service to (unofficially) endorse over ebay.

I nominate Mr Pinball classifieds as a choice. But that doesn't address the payment side...

-Rob
    -Visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC resets

#109 6 years ago

Ebay and Paypal both suck.

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I get your point, but seriously, how is someone supposed to prove they DIDN'T recieve an item?
    "Here, I took a picture of my empty mailbox, it ain't here!"

What is proof of delivery?

Proof of delivery indicates that the item was delivered to the recipient, and generally comes in the form of an online tracking number. It shows the city, state, and zip to which the package was shipped, the date the package was delivered, and its delivery status. For payments of $250 USD or more, a signature confirmation of receipt is also required. The proof of delivery doesn't need to show the full street address since some shipping companies don't include this information. The city and state or zip code (or equivalent) is normally acceptable.

Pretty simple.

#111 6 years ago

13.7 SNAD Definition
    What is Significantly Not as Described (SNAD)?
    An item is Significantly Not as Described if it is materially different than what the seller described in the item listing. Here are some examples:
    You received a completely different item. Example: You purchased a book and received a DVD or an empty box.
    The condition of the item was misrepresented. Example: The listing said "new" and the item was used.
    The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic.
    The item is missing major parts or features which were not disclosed in the listing.
    You purchased three items from a seller but only received two.
    The item was damaged during shipment.
    An item is not Significantly Not as Described if it is materially similar to the seller's item listing description. Here are some examples:
    The defect in the item was correctly described by the seller.
    The item was properly described but you didn't want it after you received it.
    The item was properly described but did not meet your expectations.
    The item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.

Take good pictures, describe your items accurately. Pretty simple.

#112 6 years ago

I've got the same thing happening to me now. Sold a nice American Girl item for my daughters. Buyer won auction and asked if she could have an extra week to come up with cash - I said sure. She paid, I sent with tracking. Contacts me 20 days after getting package the NIB item had some imperfections in the painting - very small. I offered a refund if she paid to send back to me as I had no way knowing since it was new in box (very small size of a fingernail but trying to be nice). Heard nothing back until 20 days later I get an official email from Ebay where she is formally asking for a refund and does not want to pay for return shipping. I read the site and see this BS where I'm going to get screwed no matter what.

Pictures, disclaimer, return policy all stated but can be overridden by ebay judgement. I cringe at anyone thinking of selling a pinball machine on there.

#113 6 years ago

I've had mostly good luck with ebay but I probably haven't used it as much as some and I'm using it less and less. But when selling an item, can't you restrict bids from buyers with low a low number of feedback? If you only allowed more established buyers maybe that would help.

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Pictures, disclaimer, return policy all stated but can be overridden by ebay judgement. I cringe at anyone thinking of selling a pinball machine on there.

Right, because now they have six months to play your game. What game doesn't have a problem in six months? Condition judgement calls aside, what if you sell ANY game as working, or ANY part, boards, etc as working, and it fails? You now have to arrange a truck to go get it?

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

I don't. More and more people are moving away from eBay, not joining up. While their changes are going to short term be profitable to them, because in cases like this (in eBay's eyes, John is at fault so they will keep all fees), but John ain't gonna bend over too often. And it's probably easy to count how many people "joined" eBay, but if you read the discussion boards, a lot of those are throwaway accounts for one time buys where they actually don't pay, or they scam the seller. And when a seller "leaves" eBay, most don't really close their account, they just stop selling. I for one will cut down a lot of my selling, if not all of it November 1st, and I sell thousands of parts a year on eBay.
    Why November 1st? Well, you can opt out, but you do so at a cost. It's called eBay's new extended holiday return policy: "You give buyers until January 31 to return any item purchased between November 1 and December 31." If you opt out, you lose your "Top Rated Seller" status (if you have one, I do) which means the loss of 20% discount on fees. And this is for anything, all they have to do is say it was a gift, as if they even have to ask.
    And remember, the customer is always right John!

Good post. I've been on eBay since they started but got more serious with it a few months ago. Got top rated status rather quickly. When I think about it now I'd rather pay 10% final value fee and not do returns vs. 8% final value fees with the extended holidays returns timeframe. I'll probably change all of my listings in the morning. I personally try not to worry about the rules as I mostly sell new or items in near new shape. Sure people can lie and say not as described but I haven't had an issue yet.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, the golden years of ebay are long gone. It's tough to find a bargain, and tough to sell because of the risk, scammers, fees, new policies, etc.
    I'm kind of rooting for the fall of ebay to let something else take its place.

Pynball.com!

IMAG5412.jpg IMAG5413.jpg
    2 weeks later
    #118 5 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I've got the same thing happening to me now. Sold a nice American Girl item for my daughters. Buyer won auction and asked if she could have an extra week to come up with cash - I said sure. She paid, I sent with tracking. Contacts me 20 days after getting package the NIB item had some imperfections in the painting - very small. I offered a refund if she paid to send back to me as I had no way knowing since it was new in box (very small size of a fingernail but trying to be nice). Heard nothing back until 20 days later I get an official email from Ebay where she is formally asking for a refund and does not want to pay for return shipping. I read the site and see this BS where I'm going to get screwed no matter what.

BTW to follow-up. eBay froze my paypal account for the amount this lady is disputing. So, I sold a brand new in box american girl doll tea seat. Lady opens it, sees a paint imperfection, asks for refund - I say fine please ship back at your expense. Instead files a return with eBay under new policy (she doesn't want to pay for shipping) and my funds are frozen???? Tread carefully my friends. I will not be selling another item through eBay. No way.

#119 5 years ago

To follow up on my situation, I filed a claim with eBay after informing the seller his board needed to be rejumpered, and the buyer closed his case out. He never messaged me back - I tried to help him - but I have got to assume that he got it going if he closed his case.

#120 5 years ago

Bring on Apple Pay. Fix what paypal has screwed up.

#121 5 years ago

I am sure that ebay knows that people are going to be scamming more now, and I am sure that they don't care. As long as they get their fees. Someone buys a new CD, opens it, downloads it into their PC, cracks the plastic jewel case on purpose and claims the item was not new. Now even if it is returned to the seller, the value has decreased because the item cannot be listed as new, since it is now used. I would not even want to deal with a small loss like this possible scenario. If I sell in good faith with actual shipping costs, very thorough descriptions, and good packaging, why should I take it in the shorts because someone wants to take advantage of the system and screw me? I once sold a collectable NIB Lego set. The buyer wanted it as a gift but then dropped something on the box and put a big hole in it. The buyer asked me for a refund and stated, that he returns a "ton" of stuff due to "the item was not as described." A claim is filed and ebay tell me to work it out. In the meantime, ebay is told by me to look at all the messages that the buyer sent me through ebay's message system. It is obvious that this buyer is less than reputable. I on the other hand, have had hundreds of transactions as a seller with a 100% feedback rating going back over 10 years. Most of the feedback that I received was "as described." The transaction was automatically refunded by paypal. Ebay does not side with me. I have to refund the shipping, plus return shipping and now I have an item worth much less than when I shipped it out. When the item was sent back, it was not packaged very well and got even more damaged than when the buyer sent me a picture of the hole in the box. Ok, one bad transaction out of hundreds. Then it happens again. And again. And again. Now I am afraid to sell on ebay. I have a very expensive guitar that I want to sell. I don't need to have someone buy it, walk through a doorway with the guitar on a strap, bang it into the doorframe and then claim that I misrepresented the item in my description. And then I immediately get screwed again. I would be better off bringing it to a music store and have them offer me peanuts for it. At least that way what I would get for it, I would keep. Unfortunately I do not think that enough people will stay away from ebay as a seller to make a difference, and have them review their policies to also protect the seller.

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Ya this is why we don't take Paypal.

Hey JJ, I'm gonna just PP you $7800 for my next pin. You can just eat the fees, pay the shipping AND pay return shipping of the entire pinball machine cuz I saw a scratch on the translite, right?

Yeah, dealing with checks clearing is NOT overrated or outdated.

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Pynball.com!

IMAG5412.jpg 122 KB

IMAG5413.jpg 105 KB

If Pynball.com takes off, I'd use it any day. Presently not enough buyers and sellers, yet! Is it fairly scammer-proof??

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

If Pynball.com takes off, I'd use it any day. Presently not enough buyers and sellers, yet! Is it fairly scammer-proof??

I would say it's 100% scammer-proof, since the domain name is for sale. (At least, when I just tried it now on my laptop..)

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I would say it's 100% scammer-proof, since the domain name is for sale. (At least, when I just tried it now on my laptop..)

So no one owns it. Pynball is not a pin auction site at all? We have Mr. Pinball Classified, and it's a great site, but man, too many idiotic scams burning out sellers there.

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

So no one owns it. Pynball is not a pin auction site at all? We have Mr. Pinball Classified, and it's a great site, but man, too many idiotic scams burning out sellers there.

it looks like it was once a classifieds site, but no more.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pynball-site-down

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-dont-more-people-use-pynball#post-280971

#127 5 years ago

Is it possible to sell on Ebay without a description?

I would think a "not as described" claim wouldn't go very far against a seller in that situation.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Is it possible to sell on Ebay without a description?
    I would think a "not as described" claim wouldn't go very far against a seller in that situation.

Photos would count as describing the item.

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Photos would count as describing the item.

Agreed. eBay will getcha. Unless pins just aren't sold there at all. But where else to sell em?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 3.00
    Cabinet Parts
    BK Pinball
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 249.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Decals
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 224.99
    Apparel - Women
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 85.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 199.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside