(Topic ID: 104576)

If you take PayPal for any purchase you may be in for big surprise.

By toddsvec

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG5413.jpg
    IMAG5412.jpg
    ebayreturnpolicy.png
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

If you sell on eBay or take PayPal for any purchase you may be in for a BIG SURPRISE: 180 day return policy. This may come to a surprise to many, since it was a big surprise to me. I don’t typically read the Policy Updates, and I think most people don’t, I mean for example the iTunes agreement is over 50 pages! In this case, someone pointed this out to me and I think it’s worth posting. Big changes are coming to all eBay & PayPal sellers November 18th. Some of the changes are already in effect for certain sellers. Free return shipping and 180 days to make a claim. Quotes and links below:

Starting September 15, an initial group of sellers, (and after a transition period, all remaining sellers) will be responsible for return shipping on items which are faulty or not-as-described. Source:

http://shar.es/1aEO9R

But the biggest change is this: “We’re increasing the time for buyers to file a merchandise dispute (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days.” Source: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Here’s a screen shot of what options the seller has when a buyer says it’s not as described: http://i.imgur.com/2eiwq5B.jpg. Note you don’t have any appeal process. Your money is gone, in what way would you like to refund?

If you think about this, it not only opens up the door for people that use an item then for whatever reason decide they don’t want it, it puts in place a 180 day warranty for EVERYTHING. It gives more power to the scammers, which is a big problem already. Related to pinball, you might an item cheaper elsewhere. You might find out the board you bought didn’t fix your problem. You might fix your old board and say the new board didn’t work. A better cheaper repro may come out, or your rare set of something is now being reproduced six months later, and a lot cheaper too. You may run in to hard times and decide to part out that Theatre of Magic, and you’d be better off returning the playfield (didn’t fit), MPU & driver board (didn’t work) and new set of legs, and all at the expense of the seller! And the most common, you just changed your mind and claim “it doesn’t work”.

Those examples are just pinball, but the possibility for misuse here is HUGE because it’s everything. Aside from pinball parts, I’ve sold shoes, PC games, computer stuff, movies, a chainsaw, slide projectors, a car, pinball machines, even deodorant on eBay! Just pick anything and think about how it could or might fail in the future, and now you’re responsible for it for 6 months. What are the chances a pinball machine fails in 6 months. Now guess what? You may very well get to give a full refund AND pay NAVL to bring it back. While that’s an extreme example and I do not know how freight returns would work, it’s very obvious that eBay is no longer wanting the small seller.

One of the reasons given is that certain credit card companies are extending their claim period to 180 days too, but they certainly don’t make it a few mouse clicks and you’ve got your money back. Nor would they force paying return shipping to my knowledge.

To make this worse, you will not get your fees back either! “Your liability will include the full purchase price of the item plus the original shipping cost (and in some cases you may not receive the item back). You will not receive a refund of your PayPal fees.”

Does it get worse? Sure it does. If you’ve insured an item, currently the time to file a claim is 60 to 90 days.

Let’s use a $300 sale on eBay as an example, a brand new item:

$330 total sale. $300 item sold on eBay, shipped insured for $30, you collected $330. Don’t spend it for six months!
    -$33 eBay took 10%
    -$10 PayPal fees 3%
    -$30 Shipping & insurance
    -$30 return shipping six months later, and you receive a board back missing paperwork, not properly packed, and damaged or otherwise certainly not new as you sold it. Now you’ve given back a full $330, and have lost $103.

While I agree to the fact I should prove delivery of an item, obviously I disagree about a 180 day period for a buyer to make up his mind if it’s as described or not. It does not matter if you put in your wording no returns or sales final, if they come up with a reason for Not As Described, they will likely win. I have posted on some forums, emailed eBay and PayPal, and I hope many of you will too. I plan on emailing John Donahoe, who is the president and CEO of eBay, and he also has a twitter account. I have also be posted on eBay's and PayPal's Facebook page.

*Speak up sellers, this isn't RIGHT!*

#2 9 years ago

I use ebay a lot, I mean a lot, but its just sad the direction it has headed over the past 5 or so years.

#3 9 years ago

stopped selling on ebay 2 years ago.
    Don't know why people continue to pay the crazy fees plus paypal fee, not worth it.
    kind of surprised Ebay hasn't gone under

#4 9 years ago

People sell there because a lot of times it is the only easy way to sell something a very small audience is interested in purchasing.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

I use ebay a lot, I mean a lot, but its just sad the direction it has headed over the past 5 or so years.

Completely agree.

Ebay owns paypal so they take a massive cut now. eBay used to be the place were you could find deals....now it's a place with shipping gouging because people want don't want to pay all the fees.

I use to deal a lot on eBay and for the past little years have stopped using it. 180 days to return an item is just ridiculous. Most big chain stores offer refunds only before 45 days.

#6 9 years ago

Only accept cash or wire transfer is my rule of thumb.

#7 9 years ago

Ebay are doing it on purpose to rid itself of the small guy. Personally, I look for ways to not use paypal at all if possible. Perhaps look into taking money via Bitcoin?

The good is that when laying down a lot of money via paypal for a pin that takes years to build, you will have the chance to reclaim it at the moment you wish and not to have to ask for your money back.

#8 9 years ago

Ebay's policies are ridiculously one sided towards buyers. It's especially frustrating because the sellers are the one's paying arm & leg to use the service.

A while back I sold an item, the buyer paid, and I shipped it the next day with tracking. A couple weeks later, the buyer opens a dispute saying they never received the item. That's strange, tracking info says it was delivered. Wouldn't ya know.. the dispute was settled in the buyer's favor because I didn't require a signature. The money was refunded out of my paypal account automatically, I had ZERO recourse or choice in the matter despite my 100% feedback over 10 years. Absolutely ridiculous. And scammers are catching wind of this...it's too easy to buy something and just say you never got it. Instant refund, no proof required.

And on top of all this, YOU CAN'T LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK FOR BUYERS ANYMORE. That's right, positive feedback or no feedback. Meanwhile buyers are free to leave negative feedback and trash a seller after they've scammed them. Ebay is a joke for sellers anymore.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

.now it's a place with shipping gouging because people want don't want to pay all the fees.

Actually sellers on ebay can no longer "gouge" on shipping as ebay now charges a fee for the cost of shipping. Several years ago people were selling a $100 item on ebay for .01 cent and then charging $100 to ship it. Ebay caught onto this and started to charge a fee for the shipping charge! So you pay a fee to put an item on ebay to sale, pay a final fee once it sells, pay a fee to use PayPal and then pay a fee on the shipping rate you charged!

On top of being fee'd out of the wha-ka-zoo ebay does very little to protect sellers. When a buyer bails out on paying for an item or makes a bogus claim against a seller ebay's response to the seller is "work it out with the seller as ebaY's policy is not to mediate between a seller and buyer".

ebay is a great place for exposure, other than that I can't say anything else positive about it and I have a 100% positive feedback with them!

#10 9 years ago

I sell on craigslist for anything worth $50 or more. Putting up with the crazies and the scammers on there is still better than dealing with ebay & paypal.

#11 9 years ago

How's this work with items described clearly in "as-is" condition by the seller?

#12 9 years ago

And Paypal is the most god-awful company on the planet. Raise your hand if you've been screwed out of a claim by Paypal or they charged something improperly then tried to place the blame on you or your bank or the merchant, only to send you chasing your tail in a circle of blame/responsibility.

#13 9 years ago

There is a way to F them back over. List an item on there for a few days, then pull it. Free advertising. I've only done it once with the JP I sold a little back. Didn't get any inquiries from it, but didn't hurt either.

#14 9 years ago

180 days aka 6 months is ridiculous. I don't think I've ever seen a retailer use that as a return window. 30 days is pretty much the standard, some offer 45-60 days, and a few offer 90.

Quoted from Chondro:

stopped selling on ebay 2 years ago.
    Don't know why people continue to pay the crazy fees plus paypal fee, not worth it.

The only reason it's still around is because it was established early, and is a household brand. So, that means lots of eyeballs. But that also means ebay thinks it can ask whatever it wants for fees and users will simply put up with it.

There are other auction sites around, but most people have never heard of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ebay+alternatives

I think it might be an interesting idea of pinside users can agree upon an alternative to flock to. That might be enough to nudge the pinball/arcade categories off of ebay to somewhere else more reasonable.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

How's this work with items described clearly in "as-is" condition by the seller?

After the buyer complains, eBay automatically pulls the cash out of the sellers account and refunds it. Then the buyer get's to keep the item for free

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

After the buyer complains, eBay automatically pulls the cash out of the sellers account and refunds it. Then the buyer get's to keep the item for free

Pretty much.

Not to mention that a buyer can claim that the item was counterfeit, which can also lead to the same result.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

And scammers are catching wind of this...it's too easy to buy something and just say you never got it. Instant refund, no proof required.

I get your point, but seriously, how is someone supposed to prove they DIDN'T recieve an item?

"Here, I took a picture of my empty mailbox, it ain't here!"

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Pretty much.
    Not to mention that a buyer can claim that the item was counterfeit, which can also lead to the same result.

So, what I'm getting here is that this is happening with high frequency, and ostensibly eBay/PayPal knows that it goes on? Been away from eBay for about 10 years, and have only recently reactivated my account.

Are there articles out there about these scams?

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chondro:

It's because there are still a TON of buyers there due to all the one sided policies. It's so easy to sell things in some categories at a premium price, so sellers will still take the risk of scammers and put up with the ridiculous fees. I got nearly $200 for my old Atari 2600 with a bunch of games...even after the fees I'd never be able to get that out of CL or any retail game buyer.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I get your point, but seriously, how is someone supposed to prove they DIDN'T recieve an item?

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. Is this something that's widespread that should be a real concern, or are we looking at aberrations that are getting magnified?

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

So, what I'm getting here is that this is happening with high frequency, and ostensibly eBay/PayPal knows that it goes on? Been away from eBay for about 10 years, and have only recently reactivated my account.
    Are there articles out there about these scams?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#22 9 years ago

Yes, I have read it. I'm talking outside of this microcosm that we exist in.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

When one account has been on eBay for 10 years with nearly perfect feedback, and the other was created 3 days ago with zero transactions. But eBay will not consider this when settling disputes, the buyer is always right. You'd also think tracking info is enough proof, but no.

For anything $30+ I always ship with insurance+tracking. That way UPS/USPS takes the hit if the buyer cries foul. Anything $100+ gets a signature, that's the only way eBay will settle a dispute in your favor.

#25 9 years ago

Op,
    While you have listed the paypal status, (and thank you)

for a complete understanding,

you may want to check on fleaBay for the options there.

There are (4) pull downs:

- No returns is an option
    - Time limits , 14 days through 60 days
    - refund type
    - return shipping payed by buyer or seller

I mention these here, so that all buyers are not assuming your 180 days is the default.

If they go through a fleaBay, they may find out what the real limits are.

feel free to bash on fleaBay, and paypud, but you should get the facts out there correctly.

ebayreturnpolicy.pngebayreturnpolicy.png

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

When one account has been on eBay for 10 years with nearly perfect feedback, and the other was created 3 days ago with zero transactions. But eBay will not consider this when settling disputes, the buyer is always right. You'd also think tracking info is enough proof, but no.
    For anything $30+ I always ship with insurance+tracking. That way UPS/USPS takes the hit if the buyer cries foul. Anything $100+ gets a signature, that's the only way eBay will settle a dispute in your favor.

I'm still waiting for a legitimate answer to your question, not them taking a lead pipe to any new buyer that may legitimately have NOT gotten their item.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

It does not matter if they can find a flaw with what you sold them. eBay will almost always side with the buyer if they claim something was not as it was described. For example if you say "This is in very good condition with no marks or scratches, but sold as is", and they file a claim saying there's a ding, that's it. Best case in selling where is as is stuff is to not say anything about it at all.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Then the buyer get's to keep the item for free

That's usually not true.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That is true, for things that are counterfeited.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Completely agree.
    Ebay owns paypal so they take a massive cut now. eBay used to be the place were you could find deals....now it's a place with shipping gouging because people want don't want to pay all the fees.
    I use to deal a lot on eBay and for the past little years have stopped using it. 180 days to return an item is just ridiculous. Most big chain stores offer refunds only before 45 days.

Actually, Ebay also charges you 10% of that shipping fee you collect now too.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

eel free to bash on fleaBay, and paypud, but you should get the facts out there correctly.

Scott, you need to check your facts actually, and I am not eBay/PayPal bashing at all, I am posting what is going to happen November 18th. Anyone's return policy will be trumped, in EVERY case, if the buyer says what they bought was "Not as Described". To quote the policy directly: "Important: Even if you specify "no returns accepted," the item could still be returned if it doesn't match the item description. "

And restocking fees and shipping when there's a claim made for "Not as Described", are also trumped, PayPal will seize the entire transaction amount, and refund the buyer in full when it's been returned. If you refuse a return, that would be foolish, because then they will get both the item back and the refund.

Currently the time frame for filing for Not Received or Not As described is 45 days. On November 18th that will increase to 180 days (six months)

#32 9 years ago

from what I understand this has been going on for a long time, it recently went public, years ago people could still open a case even after months and months, one person had one opened almost a year later. calling paypal personally you would be shocked what they can do....

#33 9 years ago

Playing devils advocate, seems like the safest thing to do is let the pictures do the talking, and don't discuss condition in the listing.

If scamming sellers in the ways laid out in this thread are as widespread as an issue as I feel a lot are claiming, wouldn't there we little bit of an outcry? Certainly millions of transactions go through each month without a problem.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

Op,
    While you have listed the paypal status, (and thank you)
    for a complete understanding,
    you may want to check on fleaBay for the options there.
    There are (4) pull downs:
    - No returns is an option
    - Time limits , 14 days through 60 days
    - refund type
    - return shipping payed by buyer or seller
    I mention these here, so that all buyers are not assuming your 180 days is the default.
    If they go through a fleaBay, they may find out what the real limits are.
    feel free to bash on fleaBay, and paypud, but you should get the facts out there correctly.

ebayreturnpolicy.png 38 KB

Those don't apply to SNAD (Significantly Not As Described).

Those are the 'return policy' settings, which a seller can choose to accept, or not accept.

I don't mind them extending 'not received' to 6 months. To me, that's a positive, as there are some countries where customs sit on packages for seemingly EVER (recent experiences with Italy and Brazil) and people file claims at the 45 day mark to protect themselves, even though they know that sometimes it takes longer.

To me, that is a positive, as you can give things a bit longer to turn up.

SNAD returns aren't related to whether you allow returns or don't. People can return SNAD items whether you accept returns or not. eBay has to 'approve' it, but they pretty much approve every reason.

Do you want Joe Blow at eBay customer service deciding if a collectable item you sold is in 'nice' shape or not? What if your 'red' guitar is more 'magenta' to a buyer?

What if you decide you want to buy a $5000 game, and decide to pay for it by unloading 5k worth of 'stuff' you have, only to have a buyer return a $1200 collectible 180 days later, and along with that $1200 refund, you also have to eat return shipping?

I see a lot of potential issues here.

Let's say you decide to sell a rare plastic set, and it sells for $500.

Somebody buys it, 'just in case' they buy that game at a later date..

And 4 months later, CPR or PPS repros it, for $189

That buyer decides to return your set, because there's a scratch on one piece, it's not as described because of that little scratch, and then they buy the repros.

I truly believe most people are good, genuine people who won't play the system - but there are some folks out there who make playing the system their hobby - and that's bad for all of us.

#35 9 years ago

I would bet this is happening since Ebay changed it's policy's to over protect the buyer and screw the sellers, what happens plenty of times, is that if you remove the money out of your Paypal account, and this happens, they cannot pull the funds out of your account.. UNLESS, you make a paypal account payment if you use their credit, or attempt to make a purchase..

I had someone claim they never got a PS4 I sold last Nov, when I entered the tracking info, I put one digit in wrong, the buyer (who got the item) never once contacted me, and just filed a claim saying it was never shipping and an invalid tracking number was listed.. I quickly checked the tracking, corrected the mistake, contacted the buyer stating I had put 1 digit wrong in the tracking number, showed her who signed for it, when it was delivered.. I had emailed her at least 8 times with my cell number, email address, everything... she let it go all the way to the dispute to let Ebay settle it.. Ebay and Paypal then attempted to pull almost 500 bucks out of my Paypal account, I had already pulled the money out... HOWEVER I had 100 bucks used on Paypal credit, so when I paid it off, they not only deducted the 100 but the additional 500!! Needless to say I was shocked.. I contacted Ebay support every day, finally called them, got a rep, explained exactly what this buyer was trying to do, and won the case.. but it tied up my money for almost 2 weeks..

This is bad news all around, yes you appeal to all different buyers, more so than anywhere else, but 180 days?? That gives a person 6 months to enjoy whatever they got from you, then return it, get all their money back, and send you back a used item.. Once this gets out, it is over for me with Ebay.. going to have to try using the Amazon service to sell on.. no idea if they get the same results as Ebay, but seriously what choice do you have? Plus Amazon does NOT take Paypal!

#36 9 years ago

Another challenge I have - eBay auctions drop out of the system at some point. Can you see a listing that is 6 months old? I don't think so.

USPS recycles tracking #s - can you track an item that you shipped 6 months ago? I don't think so.

So, how do we 'prove' that a listing showed that 1/4 inch scratch on an item? Or that an item was delivered?

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

wouldn't there we little bit of an outcry? Certainly millions of transactions go through each month without a problem

The problem is most Buyers will probably not do this a lot, the ones that will are probably going to be caught, but as a SELLER here, I'll be affected just once in awhile, by different Buyers, in different ways. No pattern there really. Obviously if I have a problem with a certain customer time and time again, I won't sell to them. I already block people that ask extremely stupid questions on eBay. In the past year I have had about a dozen returns, only a few of them were on eBay. In all of the cases the items were opened and used in some way, some had no problems, some had problems caused by the customer, many of them missing paperwork and original packing, only one did I receive back unopened/unused.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Those don't apply to SNAD (Significantly Not As Described).
    Those are the 'return policy' settings, which a seller can choose to accept, or not accept.
    I don't mind them extending 'not received' to 6 months. To me, that's a positive, as there are some countries where customs sit on packages for seemingly EVER (recent experiences with Italy and Brazil) and people file claims at the 45 day mark to protect themselves, even though they know that sometimes it takes longer.
    To me, that is a positive, as you can give things a bit longer to turn up.
    SNAD returns aren't related to whether you allow returns or don't. People can return SNAD items whether you accept returns or not. eBay has to 'approve' it, but they pretty much approve every reason.
    Do you want Joe Blow at eBay customer service deciding if a collectable item you sold is in 'nice' shape or not? What if your 'red' guitar is more 'magenta' to a buyer?
    What if you decide you want to buy a $5000 game, and decide to pay for it by unloading 5k worth of 'stuff' you have, only to have a buyer return a $1200 collectible 180 days later, and along with that $1200 refund, you also have to eat return shipping?
    I see a lot of potential issues here.
    Let's say you decide to sell a rare plastic set, and it sells for $500.
    Somebody buys it, 'just in case' they buy that game at a later date..
    And 4 months later, CPR or PPS repros it, for $189
    That buyer decides to return your set, because there's a scratch on one piece, it's not as described because of that little scratch, and then they buy the repros.
    I truly believe most people are good, genuine people who won't play the system - but there are some folks out there who make playing the system their hobby - and that's bad for all of us.

just so you know, the return policy is a joke and your better off just accepting all returns, they manually override them anyways all day long.

and I agree most people are good but not all which is sad.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

I contacted Ebay support every day, finally called them, got a rep, explained exactly what this buyer was trying to do, and won the case.. but it tied up my money for almost 2 weeks..

Similar to that, I sold a $700 video game that got trucked to another city. The buyer told me in email that he basically tried to fix something and shorted/sparked something with a screwdriver, WHILE the game was on. he said he wanted me to pay for repair or send a replacement board, which I did not have. And because he filed a false claim, It ticked me off and I fought it. I originally said I'd try and fix the board if he sent it to me, that was not good enough for him. This claim was held for more than 45 days, and to my surprise the said he could return it for a refund. I was shocked, but a number of calls to PayPal got it resolved, and my funds were released, and the buyer was given an actual phone call by the rep (so I was told).

#40 9 years ago

PayPal actually replied to me on part of my concerns, the one about return shipping. They say that is an eBay policy, and not PayPal, which does help a little. On eBay though, here is their wording in case you didn't see it, from the User Agreement posted August 12th, effective September 15th:

Returns. We updated this section to clarify that if eBay hassle-free returns are applied to your listings, you authorize eBay to remove the refund amount from your PayPal account, place the amount on your invoice, and/or charge your payment method on file. By the 2015 holiday season, all eligible domestic returns on eBay will be eBay hassle-free returns and sellers may not remove hassle-free return settings from their listings. We updated this section also to reflect this future change. - See more at: ebay.com link: updates to the ebay user agreement user privacy notice and money back guarantee

and

Money Back Guarantee. We updated this section to reflect changes in the Money Back Guarantee, specifically that sellers are responsible for return shipping costs if an item is not as described and that, if an eBay-generated return shipping label is used for return shipping on items not as described, we place the return shipping label cost on the seller’s invoice. - See more at: ebay.com link: updates to the ebay user agreement user privacy notice and money back guarantee

So while PayPal says it's not their policy, nearly everything sold on eBay is paid by PayPal, so it's everything on eBay for sure.

#41 9 years ago

I've only been screwed twice in 13 years on Ebay. If I notice a big change when these new rules kick in, I might try something different. What other options are out there?

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

What other options are out there?

Actually, I'd love to hear some input from the Pinside group on that. Many probably know I run Big Daddy Enterprises, and PayPal is my only form of taking payment. Switching is not easy, whether it's to a credit card processor, taking pre payments by cash, check or money orders, or what? I've even had the thought of saying screw it, I'll retire and just work on selling games I have, cash only.

#43 9 years ago

Ya this is why we don't take Paypal.

#44 9 years ago

that is going to cause all kinds of problems

#45 9 years ago

Anyone try ubid.com? Been around since 2000 that I know of.
    I'm on hold with ebay now trying to resolve my first ever negative feedback, and all I can hear in the background are the ebay staff offering solutions to provide refunds to other callers...!!!

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

Actually, I'd love to hear some input from the Pinside group on that. Many probably know I run Big Daddy Enterprises, and PayPal is my only form of taking payment. Switching is not easy, whether it's to a credit card processor, taking pre payments by cash, check or money orders, or what? I've even had the thought of saying screw it, I'll retire and just work on selling games I have, cash only.

Yep, it's hard to switch when paypal is the big kahuna of the payment processing industry for small business.

I've seen https://www.2checkout.com/ used with a few (non-pinball) vendors I've done business with.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

Many probably know I run Big Daddy Enterprises

Not I, until now. Thanks for the parts kits for my Centaur!

#48 9 years ago

Not too long ago, I sold a classic / vintage education textbook for $99 (the book usually sells in that range). The buyer (who had a low feedback rating) said the binding was little loose and demanded a $50 credit. I said no, send it back. She wanted the refund first. I said no, and ebay said don't refund until you get it back. I fully expected a box of moth balls back, but she actually sent the book, and the binding was fine. I don't know whether she photocopied the whole book for reference, or just had buyer's remorse.

A good place to keep track of ebay adventures is: www.ecommercebytes.com

ebay is going to be even worse when they start the 180 day refund stuff, students will buy textbooks at full price, then return them at the end of the semester.

And 'managed returns' will also be required next year, where the buyer only has to print a label to ship the item back and the seller will have to pay shipping, whether the shipping is for a textbook or pinball machine. And to make things worse, for "Top Rated Sellers" any return is counted as a 'defect'.

As sellers already know, you can put SOLD AS IS in large font in the listing, but with ebay's policy the buyer can still get the refund by sending the item back SNAD (significantly not as described) no matter how well you described the item.

#49 9 years ago

I stopped selling there completely due to paypal policy. If i do sell something large on there in the future, it will be pickup only and cash only. If the buyer wants to give me negative for that, that's better than having them steal my stuff.

#50 9 years ago

Here is a link to a few FaceBook posts, you may have to be a FaceBook member. If you've got an opinion, please share it with PayPal and eBay, or nothing will change.

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/posts/10153233470303136?ref=notif&notif_t=like

https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUSA/posts/10152717960214573

I hope the links work.

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-take-paypal-for-any-purchase-you-may-be-in-for-big-surprise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.