(Topic ID: 90005)

If you saw a underpriced machine at a yard sale.....

By Dr-Willy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by SadSack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

damon-affleck-batman-robin-meme.jpg
    catwoman_0027_by_rafcut-d48qiu9.jpg
    Dear-Batman.jpg
    batmandisguise.jpg
    I__m_Batman_by_wordmongerer_570.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GamesGuy5280.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#68 9 years ago

I would notify the seller that they had way under valued their pinball machine. Then I would tell the person what I thought it was worth and what I was willing to pay. Negotiate a sale from that footing. Even if I did not end up with the machine I feel it would be the right thing to do.

The seller could find a reasonable value within a short amount of time. The seller would probably be happy with their asking price. Those things are true. However, to me it comes down to taking advantage of another person. Regardless of what the reason is, be it ignorance, haste or perhaps grief. That is something I am not willing to do. I believe in doing onto others as I hope they’ll do onto me.

Maybe I would get a universal karma rebate! Like the seller being a donation match if I needed a kidney! Or maybe he’s selling the house also and remembers how I did him on the pinball deal and knocks 20k off the price of the property.

Even if those FairyTale /Hollywood scenarios didn’t take place it would not change the way I would behave.
    To me it’s not really about the seller. It is about doing what I feel is right.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball4life:

I wish the world operated like that....it would be an amazing place. But there isn't any reason why we can't make those decisions despite how others might treat us. Good point! Sometimes "business" gives me a jaded point of view.

I wish it did as well. I think we have to settle for simply being amazing people in the world we have. Perhaps one day the others will come around, but in the meantime I know what team I want to be on.

The business perspective is definitely different. In the given scenario a person is opening up their home/property offering others the opportunity to deal with them personally. It is not like dealing with Walmart where they have something miss-priced or ordered too many of a certain item.

One can justify or rationalize taking advantage in many ways.
    We have all been scammed, shammed and done dirty by some of the people we have dealt with.
    It is a poor excuse to use that as a reason to take advantage of another person.

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from scootie:

Gotta side with the majority on this one. If the person is happy with the deal, they get what they want and don't have to hassle to sell it...

This begs the moral philosophical question.

Can a person really be happy if they do not understand all of the aspects of a deal?

Some say yes arguing that ignorance is bliss.
    Others counter that the definition of happy includes understanding the deal.

Again in this scenario this is a person to person transaction.

What do you do when the seller asks, "What do you think it is worth?"

Do you lie to them?

Maybe you try to skirt the issue like a shady used car salesman.
    A lie of omission is still a lie.

If so what is the next step?
    Perhaps waiting until night and trying to move the machine out of the garage quietly....

#141 9 years ago
    Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

...If you pay the sticker, the seller is MORE than happy.
    .. Hell, if the item leaves the house/garage at all they are happy!!
    .... I cannot agree that the seller would be "taken advantage of" in any way, shape, or form.

As long as someone is happy they cannot be considered to be taken advantage of?
    The justification being as long as the seller doesn't know, then it's okay.
    I disagree with that measure of consideration and that argument.

I have to agree with the DarkKnight68 on this one.
    It is not about the seller at all.
    It is about the buyer and how they feel about their actions towards the seller.

SchuylerLane,
    What do you think now that you have seen some lively debate?
    I'm in the minority of those who have posted, what's your take?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GamesGuy5280.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-say-a-underpriced-machine-at-a-yard-sale?tu=GamesGuy5280 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.