(Topic ID: 90005)

If you saw a underpriced machine at a yard sale.....

By Dr-Willy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by SadSack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

damon-affleck-batman-robin-meme.jpg
    catwoman_0027_by_rafcut-d48qiu9.jpg
    Dear-Batman.jpg
    batmandisguise.jpg
    I__m_Batman_by_wordmongerer_570.jpg
    There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 9 years ago

I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning for some reason. What would you do if you were passing by a yard sale and saw a machine rediculiously underpriced? (i.e a MM for $1000 or something crazy along those lines)

Would you just pay the owner, load it and leave? Would you say well just fyi this machine is a underprised, i would like to give you a bit more for it (not market value, but say maybe double what he was asking)

I know this would never happen and we always deal with the opposite of people asking insane prices for games that arent anywhere near their asking price so i thought it would be fun to flip the tables.

#2 9 years ago

Pay it, load it, play it.

#3 9 years ago

I'd ask if they would take $700.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

What would you do if you were passing by a yard sale and saw a machine rediculiously underpriced? (i.e a MM for $1000 or something crazy along those lines).

That is fair market for MM. Haven't you heard of MMr???

#5 9 years ago

Last winter I bought a TV for a MAME cabinet. Guy wanted $5, it was better than I thought so I gave him $10 (actually had to hunt a while to find a late model TV with the dimensions I was looking for).

Honestly if someone was selling a pin for WAY under (let's say $1k for a whitewater), and there was little wear, and nothing seemingly wrong with it after a test play, I might actually give them more than they were asking. If it was a WW with little wear and didn't boot, I would probably stick to $1k only because I had no idea what issues it might have.

#6 9 years ago

Is this a trick question?

Give the man his full asking price, and go home with a huge smile on my face. We have this "debate" on my drum forum as well... if someone can't be bothered to spend LITERALLY 10 minutes on a computer checking the value of their item for sale, then then get what they are asking for - period end of story!

I picked up a $4500, rare-as-hell vintage 1968 Ludwig kit a few years back. Guy had them in the back of his truck and was taking them to the landfill. NO kidding. I paid him $100 for it. He was thrilled!! So was I, to say the least

#7 9 years ago

It just depends on the situation. Weird as it is too us there are people I have bought from on Craigslist that know they are underpriced but they don't care they just know it will get rid of it quickly. I even have had people find out they could get more but don't like to change the price cause they feel they have made a deal and will stick with it. Again mostly people that have no sentimental or "pinaddictions" and are just trying to clear space. I have picked up free arcade machines like that too and know people that got free pinball machines. I mean what other extremely heavy and bulky item could you post and in TEN minutes to an hour have thirty responses of people begging to haul it for you...

Speaking of which if you are looking to give away any machines just let me know...

#8 9 years ago

It really depends on the nature of the yard sale. If it's some old lady selling her late husband's machine, I might say "Hey, this is in great shape and I've always wanted one. I'll give you more."

If it's someone selling off their estranged parent's collection and they look money grabby, trying to explain why cracked plastic and wear around Merlin drops the price pretty considerably, they might just get blinded by the dollar signs.

#9 9 years ago

alot left unsaid. a 1000 mm could be missing everything underneath and all boards and cab damage.

if it was on and working that is one thing... but even a cheap project can be deceptive. I have seen big name games with yard sale prices for a reason.

I would probably give more then asking and fill out a bill of sale

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from rollinover:

alot left unsaid. a 1000 mm could be missing everything underneath and all boards and cab damage.
    if it was on and working but even a cheap project can be deceptive. I have seen big name games with yard sale prices for a reason.
    I would probably give more then asking and fill out a bill of sale

Whatever you're smoking, I'll take some...

#11 9 years ago

I have seen games that were huge names completely trashed and sold for a 1000. I mean wasted and water damaged. you would be suprised

best way to handle it imo. no need to haggle a ridiculous deal

#12 9 years ago

Oh hey there! Nice machine! Pinball is my hobby and ive been a enthusiast more years than i can remember, do you know that immaculate AFM your selling for 1k....is really worth 5k! And is a very popular machine with pinheads...Look it up , then get back to me with a better price!

Any person who claims they would say this is a Liar!

#13 9 years ago

If somebody is happy selling a MM for $1000, then I am happy to pay $1000 for an MM

I'm happy, seller is happy. Everybody is happy

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

If somebody is happy selling a MM for $1000, then I am happy to pay $1000 for an MM

WIN - WIN thats the business objective with every deal right...

#15 9 years ago

If it was too good of a deal I would probably bump up what I gave but overall if both sides are happy load it up

#16 9 years ago

Precisely. Offering more could make the seller suspicious and queer the deal.

#17 9 years ago

Just take it home captain do good

#18 9 years ago

We've had threads like this before, and there isn't necessarily one right answer. To some degree it's a question of ethics, but the correct course of action won't necessarily be the same for every individual. At the end of the day, you have to live with yourself. If I was buying it for my own collection, I'd pay the asking price and that would be the end of it. If I was buying it solely to flip, I'd probably pay the asking price, and then once I sold the game, give some of the profit back to the seller. This solution would work for me and my principles, but I wouldn't necessarily frown upon others for doing it differently.

#19 9 years ago

With the internet there's no excuse for not researching the price, I would pay the $1000 fix it up a bit sell it and buy something else.

#20 9 years ago

I am not even sure why this question would come up, unless you thought it might be stolen goods.

#21 9 years ago

Grab and go..not your fault its under priced. Take advantage. Nothing wrong with that.

#22 9 years ago

It depends on the game. I'm not for flipping, but I am for bringing a game back to life and if I don't like it, passing it on to a deserving and appreciative home.

Flippers can eat a bag o' donkey nards for all I care. Sucking all the LOVE out of pinball.

#23 9 years ago

They set the price.
    They are happy to get what they were asking.
    Load it and go.

#24 9 years ago

Here's the problem. You overpay, the seller wonders why someone would do such a thing, figures it out, then gets pissed. That has happened to me. Pay, and get out ASAP.

#25 9 years ago

You'd do what you always do at a garage sale. Chat them up, play dumb, ask for a lower price, and then come up a little. Everyone goes home happy.

Of course, what we really need to ask is in what sort of Bizarro universe does one see an underpriced pin at a yard sale?

#26 9 years ago

If that's what they are asking, then that is what they are expecting to get - and they will be happy with it too. If you offer them more, it's really no different than walking up to someone, opening your wallet, and giving them a hundred dollar bill. Paying more is just giving a gift...so if you are into giving cash gifts and have the means - sure, go for it. Will they be happy with just paying the asking price? Yes. Will they be happier with you paying more than the asking price? Also yes.

#27 9 years ago

No one is holding a gun to the seller's head making him sell it for $1K. If that's what they are happy with, that's what they are happy with. Try getting an honest appraisal from an antique collector. The price they give you is a price they are willing to buy it for, the price they know its worth is another story, and that's what THEY will sell it for.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Here's the problem. You overpay, the seller wonders why someone would do such a thing, figures it out, then gets pissed. That has happened to me. Pay, and get out ASAP.

And this is why, even if I was intending to give them more, I wouldn't do it until after the fact.

#29 9 years ago

I'd hope I was driving my truck that day, and that I had quick access to 1000 bucks. I'd bring it home, clean it up, and play the snot out of it.

#30 9 years ago

I would pay, load it up, and then give the seller some extra cash.

I would load it up first so the deal does not go south before the game is physically mine, but then I would toss them a bonus later.

I actually like random acts and think painting perceptions is fun. That said, maybe if I bought a nice MM for 1k from a nice but iggnorant person I would likely do something else nice for them in return. Maybe annonymously pay for something around their house to be fixed or a cleaning person to come give them a hand once a month for the next year? Basically, they were already happy to sell the game for what they thought was fair so why ruin that perception to where they realize they left a good chunck of $ on the table and then feel salty... Instead, make them happily suprised when a nice gift shows up at a later date.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballOrphanage:

Try getting an honest appraisal from an antique collector. The price they give you is a price they are willing to buy it for, the price they know its worth is another story, and that's what THEY will sell it for.

Fair enough, but let's take it to the extreme. An art collector walks into a garage sale and discovers a painting that they know is worth $5 million. Is it ethical to purchase it for $100?

#32 9 years ago

I would say...1k? Hm! You see that small hole on the wood. Thats a problem...its got wood worm! Its junk...yadda yadda...
    Its really dated! 80s! Yuck! Nobody buys 80s stuff now...its so cheesey...and look at the theme! You should trash it.....then i would lift the playfield and say....look at the mess...all those wires should be neat and tidy! Hopefully its a woman.lol

i would then pull out a $50 and say.....thats probably double what its worth but i can use the glass.

hm ehhhh ok...sold

K thanks byeeeeeeeee.....

Return to battle soldier

#33 9 years ago

Buy it and move on.... you wouldn't tell Walmart to skip the $0.52 rollback savings on some items, why would you do it on a yard sale pinball machine?

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Fair enough, but let's take it to the extreme. An art collector walks into a garage sale and discovers a painting that they know is worth $5 million. Is it ethical to purchase it for $100?

No. As an art collector, they should know that $5 million dollar paintings just don't pop up at garage sales.

It may have been in private ownership and different owners for some time. But at some point it was stolen or looted, or spoils of war.

An art collector would see it gets to where it belongs.

LTG : )™

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Did you think it might be stolen goods?

Always something to consider when the price is too good to be true.

Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

Guy had a rare-as-hell vintage 1968 Ludwig drum kit in the back of his truck and said he was taking them to the landfill. I paid him $100 for it.

If you buy anything at all out of the back of a truck in the Chicago area you can be sure it is stolen. The exception is if you're buying a NIB blu-ray player or set of speakers (or whatever) after seeing an open sample unit. Then you'll get home and open the sealed box and find a cement block instead of the supposed unit you thought you were getting.

#36 9 years ago

I would say,
    "I will pay your asking price right now, load it up and enjoy it with the fam, BUT this is kinda underpriced."

Unless its grail #2, I would laugh and high five all the way home.

#37 9 years ago

Most replies in this thread are "pay, load, leave". The pinside price police are nowhere to be found on stuff that is priced under market value

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

Most replies in this thread are "pay, load, leave". The pinside price police are nowhere to be found on stuff that is priced under market value

No, Weeeeere here. Why would you think under priced stuff needs policing? Underpriced pins make people happy, especially if it is a hobbyist desiring a title he might not otherwise be able to afford.

#39 9 years ago

This happen to me a couple years ago at a church. They had a twilight zone for $700, I told them it was at least worth $3,500.

#40 9 years ago

I know of a person who bought a TZ for $750. Offered the people more, but they declined. No it wasn't me.

#41 9 years ago

Win-win for both parties. Well said.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

There is a difference between taking advatange of a person and taking advantage of a situation IMHO. Ethicla and moral compasses will liekly vary because of this.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from MMuller:

This happen to me a couple years ago at a church. They had a Twilight Zone for $700, I told them it was at least worth $3,500.

usually that's after they tell you they agreed to sell to somebody else already.

#44 9 years ago

I'd do what was recommended before... buy it for the asking price and then do some sort of random act of kindness. Whether it was pay for a lawn service to offer to mow or whatever. It doesn't have to be expensive... it's the thought that counts.

#45 9 years ago

I had someone who offered a machine to me at a really low price. I wanted it badly and told the person that I would pay double his asking price. I then got a runaround for a day or so. When I contacted him to finalize the transaction, he backed down and said, "No way to our previous deal. Do you know what this thing is worth?" I knew, he didn't. But after my higher offer, he found out and refused to sell the machine to me. If I saw a MM at a yard sale for 1K I would pay the asking price. I would not even bother to talk the person down. I would be afraid that someone would come up and ruin the deal for me like I did to myself when I tried to pay a more than fair price to a guy that was jerk. I would get a written receipt or bill of sale and pay the 1K and bring it home with a clear conscience. After all, it is not being stolen, and the seller was not forced to name his or her own price.

#46 9 years ago

I've yet to see a pin at a yard sale. I'll let you know what I decide to do if that ever happens

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from nixyknight1:

I would say...1k? Hm! You see that small hole on the wood. Thats a problem...its got wood worm! Its junk...yadda yadda...
    Its really dated! 80s! Yuck! Nobody buys 80s stuff now...its so cheesey...and look at the theme! You should trash it.....then i would lift the playfield and say....look at the mess...all those wires should be neat and tidy! Hopefully its a woman.lol
    i would then pull out a $50 and say.....thats probably double what its worth but i can use the glass.
    hm ehhhh ok...sold
    K thanks byeeeeeeeee.....
    Return to battle soldier

You sound like Rick Harrison on "Pawn Stars". That guy would find a way to knock the "Mona Lisa" if someone walked into his shop with it!

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I had someone who offered a machine to me at a really low price. I wanted it badly and told the person that I would pay double his asking price. I then got a runaround for a day or so. When I contacted him to finalize the transaction, he backed down and said, "No way to our previous deal. Do you know what this thing is worth?" I knew, he didn't. But after my higher offer, he found out and refused to sell the machine to me. If I saw a MM at a yard sale for 1K I would pay the asking price. I would not even bother to talk the person down. I would be afraid that someone would come up and ruin the deal for me like I did to myself when I tried to pay a more than fair price to a guy that was jerk. I would get a written receipt or bill of sale and pay the 1K and bring it home with a clear conscience. After all, it is not being stolen, and the seller was not forced to name his or her own price.

Yup, this is exactly what I think would happen if you offered to give the person more than he is asking. Instant red flag pops up in his mind. Pays the money, loads the game, and get it on home. Then, if you have a slightly guilty conscience, go back later and throw him some extra scheckels.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I've yet to see a pin at a yard sale. I'll let you know what I decide to do if that ever happens

My brother got a really rare EM game, "Bristol Hills" (110 units made) at a garage sale. It was nice too, and he got it cheap! It makes up for all the games we overpay for IMHO.

#50 9 years ago

Fair market is determine each and every time a machine changes hands. I'm glad prices for these things are not regulated or fixed.

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-say-a-underpriced-machine-at-a-yard-sale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.