(Topic ID: 230401)

If you haven't played DI in a while, try the new code (1.57+)!

By Nokoro

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by CUJO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 months ago

I just wanted to post about the new code for those who don't own a game and aren't following the Club thread as I didn't see any other threads about it.

The latest code update is awesome! It takes the game to a whole new level. DI has always been a great pin with solid code, but it was a strictly mode based pin before without a big strategic element to it. With the newest update, it still focuses strongly on the modes, but there is a whole new way to play that adds strategy, variety, and many quick risk vs. reward decisions to make. It all focuses on getting to Quantum Theater Multiball, which is difficult but by no means impossible. (I can get to it more frequently than the first wizard mode.) To get there, you have to qualify various mini Quantum Theater modes, and then depending upon how well you do in those modes, the jackpots during the multiball will increase.

I now find myself playing this game in various ways, sometimes focusing on QTMB, sometimes on the traditional modes, and most frequently a little of both. It adds a level of intensity that the pin didn't have before, and I find myself swearing a lot more with every missed shot.

Anyway, for those who have played the game early on, liked it, but kind of moved on, it is time to revisit.

#2 5 months ago

DI was a great game to start with, but man oh man, Ted and team have done an excellent job with the updates, polish, new rules, modes, etc. Still JJP's best game to date! I thought I saw Ted mention a "full" 1.60 release coming soon, but maybe that's just my wishful thinking

#3 5 months ago

do you know what the 4 mini-quantum theater modes are? haven't had a chance to dive in deep yet, but looking forward to finally unlocking that.

#4 5 months ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

do you know what the 4 mini-quantum theater modes are? haven't had a chance to dive in deep yet, but looking forward to finally unlocking that.

Kilowatt, subway, drones, and spiders. You have to hit the corresponding target, then hit the theater. It's like a hurry-up for progress. Once you collect 2 shots of an item, the theater shows the corresponding virtual target (Spider Spinner, Drone Captive Ball, Train door bash, Kilowatt Drop Targets). If you can qualify all 4 "modes", then you'll light the theater for Quantum Theater Multiball.

#5 5 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I thought I saw Ted mention a "full" 1.60 release coming soon, but maybe that's just my wishful thinking

So there might be more than just bug fixes? Do you know what that might be?

#6 5 months ago

"more frequently than the wizard mode?" Jeez how many showdowns are you banging out? I got to start playing more.

Loving the 157 for sure.

#7 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

"more frequently than the wizard mode?" Jeez how many showdowns are you banging out? I got to start playing more.
Loving the 157 for sure.

More frequently than the "first" wizard mode, which I consider CIQC. I have yet to get to Armageddon, and I will never get to Showdown.

#8 5 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

So there might be more than just bug fixes? Do you know what that might be?

Ted posted in the JJP Google group that he had wanted to do a 1.60 version release but "couldn't resist touch something that could have some side effects" so he released the beta 1.57 release instead.

*corrected the post I made above, no 1.58 beta version out there.

#9 5 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

...I have yet to get to Armageddon, and I will never get to Showdown.

Gotcha, so no wizard mode

Wow Showdown...It's gonna take a loooong time to get there. Mos times I think it's impossible but it has to happen at some point. Or not

#10 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Wow Showdown...It's gonna take a loooong time to get there. Mos times I think it's impossible but it has to happen at some point. Or not

Do you carry over your sim cards from ball to ball or is that considered a bitch move? I'm picking this up soon, and curious what the cool kids do

#11 5 months ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Do you carry over your sim cards from ball to ball or is that considered a bitch move? I'm picking this up soon, and curious what the cool kids do

Start off not doing it. I don’t. It makes getting those elusive SIM cards all the more rewarding. You can always change your mind later.

#12 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Gotcha, so no wizard mode

Would you accept “Mini Wizard Mode”?

#13 5 months ago

Oh god, no carry over.

It really comes down to what kind of player you are.
A lot of people feel like the game should be suited to them so they make it easier so they can achieve wizard modes. The new bitch move is lowering the hits needed on MET because it "makes it more fun;" Ha I bet it does Panama Red.
I feel like it's my job to get good enough at the game to complete it the way it was made. And if I don't do it, that's life. I never got to EOTL on MET.

EDIT: You have Ripleys rated so imagine having to spell ripleys plus 1 more, and instead of getting the letters you have to shot a shot harder than GEM to get each one, and they go away after each ball, and you have to hit them one at a time.

Took me I think 2 years of owning RBION to get to Atlantis...and I had more time then!

Quoted from Nokoro:

Would you accept “Mini Wizard Mode”?

Yup.

#14 5 months ago

I carry over sim cards. Hitting the the sim shot is not skill, it’s luck, at least on my game. you get it by indirect bounces. If it were skill and makeable at least 50% of the time I’d say no carry over, but I can hit mine less than 1 in 10 tries off the flipper so I carry it over. Once I changed it to carry over, the game became much more enjoyable for me. It’s still hard to collect letters, most I’ve gotten in over 2 years is four so it’s not like I’m breezing through the game.

#15 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It really comes down to what kind of player you are.

Decent, but far from amazing. I am a bit of masochist, but I stick with whatever the factory outlanes are... so all the way up on GOT, or in the middle for most.

Quoted from TheLaw:

I feel like it's my job to get good enough at the game to complete it the way it was made. And if I don't do it, that's life. I never got to EOTL on MET.

Crumbs. I agree with this. Looks like they won't be carrying over. Had my Met for 3 years and never lowered it. Definitely never got to EOTL. 3 crank it ups was my best, and that happened once. But sounds like the new code does that for you now so maybe it's OK?

Quoted from TheLaw:

EDIT: You have Ripleys rated so imagine having to spell ripleys plus 1 more, and instead of getting the letters you have to shot a shot harder than GEM to get each one, and they go away after each ball, and you have to hit them one at a time.

Took me I think 2 years of owning RBION to get to Atlantis...and I had more time then!

My first game. I NEVER should have fooking traded it. Respect for getting to Atlantis on stock settings, you animal you.

Anyhoo, the new DI code sounds really great... getting it tomorrow, WOOHOO!

#16 5 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

It’s still hard to collect letters, most I’ve gotten in over 2 years is four so it’s not like I’m breezing through the game.

Looks like I'm never getting to showdown then haha. It's fine, I love the idea of basically unobtainable wizard modes. Do or die mulitball, Valinor etc... sounds like there is plenty of other things to do and I love that the new code makes all the modes actually count for something. Also very very happy to have my empty Lawlor spot filled again.

#17 5 months ago

Anyhoo, the new DI code sounds really great... getting it tomorrow, WOOHOO!

Congrats and enjoy...it's a damn fine game.

But sounds like the new code does that for you now so maybe it's OK?

Oh did the new code lower the shots required?

#18 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Congrats and enjoy...it's a damn fine game.

Oh did the new code lower the shots required?

Thanks man!

Apparently by a substantial bit. It dropped the day after I traded it for my SW, so never got to check it out. Supposedly makes things a bit less wood choppy?

#19 5 months ago

Supposedly makes things a bit less wood choppy?

Huh....I guess so but I never found it that way really. If you "play it right" and spread the items around and fold them into a MB and save the other MB for the next time etc etc I thought it was weighted very well. But hell he's the designer so I can't argue with it.

Of that reminds me, You can Make sure you turn the tilt carry over off on DI. Hmm....I wonder if that's still default on 1.57
Make sure that bob trap door works, and you may want to adjust the strength of the upper flipper...down a few notches.

#20 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Huh....I guess so but I never found it that way really. If you "play it right" and spread the items around and fold them into a MB and save the other MB for the next time etc etc I thought it was weighted very well. But hell he's the designer so I can't argue with it.
Of that reminds me, You can Make sure you turn the tilt carry over off on DI. Hmm....I wonder if that's still default on 1.57
Make sure that bob trap door works, and you may want to adjust the strength of the upper flipper...down a few notches.

Oh totally with you. I never had that vibe from it. Maybe replace "wood choppy" with "more easy, me can get faster to all the things now" haha. The DI is second-hand so probably tweaked but will def. check that stuff out.

#21 5 months ago

Perfect example of how the new code changes things:

I just started a game, unsure of how I was going to play. Got to a couple of QT modes early so I decided to just bash away at the theater for a while and try to build up the value. Shortly after, I got the other two QT modes and similarly built up the value by hitting the theater. Simultaneously I started some of the original two again, so I was increasing the value even of those. I also had a skill shot hold going. At this point, I was down to my last ball, had only started two disaster modes, not really concentrating on them or finishing. A third mode was running and QTMB was lit, so I went for it. Finished the mode while in multiball and picked up an extra ball and now was just trying to concentrate on keeping the multiball alive. Qualified the super jackpot which I hit for my largest value yet -- over 96,000 points, and left the multiball with over 700,000 points in total. I then decided to concentrate on the modes for a while. Completed two more before finally draining. All in all I had over 1,000,000 points. That's pretty good, but not huge. However, when you consider that I had collected zero SIM cards since I wasn't concentrating on them, it's a pretty darn good score. If I was successful and had a chance to continue with the modes and collecting SIM cards, it could have been an epic game.

Still, I love the fact that I scored so high playing in an entirely different way than I used to play on the old code.

#22 5 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Still, I love the fact that I scored so high playing in an entirely different way than I used to play on the old code.

Nice!

#23 5 months ago

Looks like I'm never getting to showdown then haha. It's fine, I love the idea of basically unobtainable wizard modes. Do or die mulitball, Valinor etc... sounds like there is plenty of other things to do and I love that the new code makes all the modes actually count for something. Also very very happy to have my empty Lawlor spot filled again.

Try taking the rubber off the post above the Subway hole; discovered by accident when mine tore off. Makes the Sim Card shot _much_ easier.

#24 5 months ago
Quoted from JWJr:

Try taking the rubber off the post above the Subway hole; discovered by accident when mine tore off. Makes the Sim Card shot much_ easier.

I've thought about this. May have to give it a try.

#25 5 months ago
Quoted from JWJr:

Try taking the rubber off the post above the Subway hole; discovered by accident when mine tore off. Makes the Sim Card shot much_ easier.

That's interesting. How much easier?

#26 5 months ago
Quoted from JWJr:

I rolled that top rubber all the way to the bottom. I think it helps.

#27 5 months ago
Quoted from JWJr:

Quoted from Nokoro:

That's interesting. How much easier?

I'd say a _lot_ - the hole's a big larger, and shots that nick the top post tend to go _in_, rather than bounce away. It also greatly increases the number of bounces off the Big Bang target that go directly into the Subway - a very nice combo.

#28 5 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

More frequently than the "first" wizard mode, which I consider CIQC. I have yet to get to Armageddon, and I will never get to Showdown.

How do you qualify CIQC??

I’ve yet to reach anything much but I’m a slow player.

#29 5 months ago
Quoted from rai:

How do you qualify CIQC??
I’ve yet to reach anything much but I’m a slow player.

Play 6 disaster modes.

2 weeks later
#30 5 months ago

Question:

I bought my DILE from original owner several months ago.

Well I've replaced all the mug shots (lol) of the all the previous hi-scores with up to 2.6 Million points as #1 Hi score.

However, the day I bought the pin the seller told me he had the glass off and put a GC score up there of 9.2 Million points just to see all the modes, etc.
so is there anyway to just remove his GC score and picture?

#31 5 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Question:
I bought my DILE from original owner several months ago.
Well I've replaced all the mug shots (lol) of the all the previous hi-scores with up to 2.6 Million points as #1 Hi score.
However, the day I bought the pin the seller told me he had the glass off and put a GC score up there of 9.2 Million points just to see all the modes, etc.
so is there anyway to just remove his GC score and picture?

Can reset scores in the operator menu.

#32 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

Can reset scores in the operator menu.

Ok, not seeing a way to reset JUST the Grand Champion score...time to pull out the manual.
I don't want to reset all of the scores, just the GC.

#33 5 months ago

There is no way to just reset the GC without resetting all of them

#34 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

There is no way to just reset the GC without resetting all of them

You are correct...I looked thru the gorgeous DILE manual and that's what I'll have to do sadly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8,000.00
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 399.95
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9,000.00
7,800 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Jackson, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Danville, VA
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside