(Topic ID: 18523)

If You Hate LEDs, What's the Main Reason?

By Crash

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do you not care for LEDs?”

• Ball strobing 16 votes
      24%
    • Instant on/off 11 votes
      16%
    • Brightness/harsh color 33 votes
      49%
    • Narrow light spread 3 votes
      4%
    • Price 5 votes
      7%

(68 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

antique-brass-oil-lamps-antique-brass-ship-anchor-oil-lantern-16-oil-lamp (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    100_0316 (resized).JPG
    100_0321 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5713 (resized).JPG
    sunlight vs natural white (resized).jpg
    90ACF3CC-888F-4278-9528-3EB8B86BE978 (resized).jpeg
    2217D40F-4556-4F96-9A34-2EC59CCECCD2 (resized).jpeg
    AED68995-5760-406C-A52D-759301D37CA0 (resized).jpeg
    C09B58AF-8D54-487C-BB89-9DC55C994793 (resized).jpeg
    rollover_led.jpg
    led_socket_old.jpg
    Elektra_new_sockets.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 6 years ago

To anyone who thinks they don't like "the look" of LEDs, and don't want to get into the nitty gritty, try 1SMD frosted warm white bulbs everywhere. The frosted part is important...I'm learning that more and more of the complaints of bulbs being too bright are from people using clear bulbs (which will cast harsh spotting on many plastics and backglasses).

There are brighter bulbs than that, but if you're a skeptic about color and brightness, a 1SMD (sometimes also called 5050...which is the part number of the size of the LED) is a great place to start. (SMD is Surface Mounted Diode, which means that the point of light is a square diode that points straight up from the surface of the base of the bulb). If you order from me (Comet Pinball), we'll be happy to refund or try and point you in the right direction if you're not happy with the outcome.

I never hear complaints about LED conversions that stick to frosted warm white. Most complaints about LEDs could be summed up as "user error", meaning: someone tried to get fancy and ended up going too colorful, or too bright, or used cool white (which we call "natural white") throughout (which takes out the warmth of the original artwork).

But obviously I'm a little biased.

Seriously though, when I acquire older games now, I really worry about the heat of the incandescents further damaging the plastics & backglass. That reason alone is enough to find an LED that works for you.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Never understood why Stern's stock LEDs use the clear lens, exact perhaps a *really* small difference in cost at the quantity they must order

I also wish they wouldn't use natural/cool white in every game. Check out the difference when using Sunlight (which is between Warm White (the yellowest) and natural white (the coolest)).

sunlight vs natural white (resized).jpgsunlight vs natural white (resized).jpg

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They are toxic on the eyes and usually too bright or won't spread lite like a traditional bulb.

Do you feel the same way about lighting fixtures in your house, or is this just for pinball? (I'm not trying to be sassy...just genuinely curious).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-hate-leds-whats-the-main-reason?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.