(Topic ID: 59701)

If you had up to $10,000, which pin(s) to buy??

By Dbaum88

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Dbaum88
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    100_0101.JPG
    100_0112.JPG
    There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 10 years ago

I would buy

2 Pro's
    AC/DC Pro
    Choice of another like Transformers, Metallica, Xmen

Then buy with the left over
    a 1200-1500 System 11 game, Like Fire, Mousin around

#103 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

if i HAD to spend it on just one machine... i'd track down an em joker poker and send it off to hep...
    and then i'd play the living crap outta it...

i am restoring one right now full cabinet restoration and for the playfield i only do a restoration that keeps the old looks, not a brand new playfield or so, with a satin clearcoat on it
    ond some nos parts, will look fine

after this one, a Eclipse but i don't do the cabinet, like the faded look of the purple color

#104 10 years ago

Thanks Al W. Yes, see you Saturday, thanks for having me. Do people bring guests? Wives or a friend (who is not in the league and won't play, obviously). Looking forward to it.

#105 10 years ago

I would personally look to get in on an airplane/pyramid type money investment game or swamp land

#106 10 years ago

Very simple, get on the waiting list for RAZA and Jpop....10k

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dbaum88:

Thanks Al W. Yes, see you Saturday, thanks for having me. Do people bring guests? Wives or a friend (who is not in the league and won't play, obviously). Looking forward to it.

PM Sent...

#108 10 years ago

I'd go for a Hollywood Heat and a Hardbody, and maybe a bugs bunny.

#109 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dbaum88:

Wives or a friend (who is not in the league and won't play, obviously).

Story of my life.

#110 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dbaum88:

Do people bring guests? Wives or a friend (who is not in the league and won't play, obviously).

OT: I want to clarify that while most leagues have rules preventing friends and family from attending meets, our league (North Georgia Pinball League) is at the discretion of the host. Also, they will be welcome to play before the league play begins, but we're going to ask that they leave the league games for people to practice. They can play anything at the conclusion of league.

#111 10 years ago

Now you're talking!

#112 10 years ago

C'mon guys, keep those ideas coming!

#113 10 years ago

id take a look at the IPDB site and make sure whatever I was about to buy had a 7.8 fun rating or higher or I would pass on it. otherwise im taking that ten grand and id want quantity ( 5 or 6 )

#114 10 years ago

They've already been mentioned in separate threads but for my 10k it would be easy. Theatre of Magic, Creature, and Centaur. Turn the lights down low and these games are stunning.

#115 10 years ago
    Quoted from flipperG:

id take a look at the IPDB site and make sure whatever I was about to buy had a 7.8 fun rating or higher or I would pass on it.

Sheep...What's fun to one isn't fun to another...I would NEVER purchase a pin based on ratings alone. By your criteria, some of the best games produced would be passed over:

F-14 - 7.7
    Black SM - 7.5
    Grand Lizard - 7.5

That's just a few of 1000's.

#116 10 years ago

Well the ratings help as you get a good idea of game play etc. Except my Stingray is rated like #250 but its great fun.

#117 10 years ago

WOZ and Tron pro partial. Tron LE only, ( club exclusivity), mb and BSD.

#118 10 years ago

I would get the lower priced AC/DC and pick a couple of other pins to round out the 10k. Fish Tales, Shadow, Nascar, ngg and hs2 would be my suggestions.

#119 10 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Sheep...What's fun to one isn't fun to another...I would NEVER purchase on pin based on ratings alone. By your criteria, some of the best games produced would be passed over:
    F-14 - 7.7
    Black SM - 7.5
    Grand Lizard - 7.5
    That's just a few of 1000's.

Agree 1000%. It's all about personal preference!
    TZ and MM are two machines that do NOTHING for me personally.

#120 10 years ago

METLE and an EM or two to round it off at 10k.

#121 10 years ago

After spending more time last night I would like to have a Creature in the collection some day, though AFM is still way up there. I might even add RFM to the Wishlist now. Thanks again Al.

#122 10 years ago

An Eddy: Shadow ( people are valuing and game play more and more. See the latest Brian Eddy poll threads)

A Lawlor: RBION ( deep game that requires time to truly appreciate)

A Ritche: HS2 ( speed /flow game. Great toy and ZZ Top)

A wide body: JD,JM or DM ( cannot be replaced by todays manufacturers for close to the NIB price of todays modern games.

A few dollars left over for LED's and speaker upgrades.

#123 10 years ago

Idk, after last night I'm thinking ACDC, Bad Cats and Doctor Who! Thanks Al!

#124 10 years ago

#126 10 years ago

I'd be keeping a sharp lookout for warehouse raid opportunities...

#127 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dbaum88:

Doctor Who is one of my personal faves. I've owned mine for 16 years now!

#128 10 years ago

None. I have my ultimate line up.

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dbaum88:

I may be in the enviable position soon of being able to reward myself for years of hard work with buying one pin of my choice. Any pin, short of MM. I'm married so I RARELY get this chance. Not bragging, just got lucky through my job.
    But its hard to choose. WOZ, AFM, AC/DC .....
    or
    Two or more pins of lesser value....
    What would YOU do? Thanks for the imput pinball brethren.

I'd definately have a Twilight Zone and an Addams Family.

If I had anything left over I'd look to any one of these:
    BOP
    Super Mario Bros
    Taxi
    Diner

#130 10 years ago

10 Shaq's. Kazzam. Wish granted.

As for an honest answer.
    Taxi (1200)
    Funhouse (3500)
    HSII (2200)
    Fish Tales (2500)

Along with the NGG I already own of course. Otherwise, switch out FT for NGG.

#131 10 years ago

NIB I would buy tron pro and x men pro

All the money on a vintage pin would be monster bash
    Really like scared stiff too

#132 10 years ago

I would go for games with different personalities.

Earthshaker ($1750)(all time favorite, alpha, traditional multiball, third flipper, target-heavy Lawlor)
    NBA Fastbreak ($1500)(sports theme, fan, combos, ramp-heavy Gomez)
    Wheel of Fortune ($3500) (I love game shows, bash toy, very open Nordman)
    Pin*Bot ($1750) and
    Space Shuttle ($750) (more simplistic 80s games that I think it would be easy to get rookies into)

That would leave me $750 to help fix things up, if needed. I wouldn't go for a newer game, not because I don't like them, but because I don't think they're the most cost-efficient right now. As I would be just starting my collection, I would look to build it up quickly around a couple of my cheaper favorites.

#133 10 years ago

I've pretty much narrowed it down to ACDC premium vs. 2 good pins like STTNG, NGG, RFM, etc.

#134 10 years ago

ME?

Haunted House
    DESW
    JM
    FH
    SST

#135 10 years ago

Popeye!

#136 10 years ago

1x ~late 80s alphanumeric: ES/WW/Taxi/etc. (<$2k)
    1x ~"affordable" 90s DMD: NGG/HS2/T2/etc. (<$3.5k)
    1x newer Stern: LOTR/POTC/BDK/ACDC Pro/etc. (<$4.5k)

Obviously you would be limiting or expanding choice in each bucket based on how much you spent in other buckets...E.g.: Could maybe get CFTBL/TAF/CP in bucket 2 if you got a good deal on a Taxi...Or could maybe snag an AC/DC Premium or equivalent if you get a good deal on a T2 or HS2.

...Try to have at least one "deep" game and one that's easy to pick up...Second on having one that appeals to the significant other and none that makes him/her want to throw up.

#137 10 years ago

Wow... if it were me, I wouldn't dump $ into a NIB Stern. I'd go directly for multiple classic Williams machines starting as early as Pinbot, going as late as possible. The names have all been tossed around already... Funhouse, Taxi...WW... WH20, HS2...TAF, AFM...pick the ones you enjoy the most... look for a seller that has multiple ones and negotiate.

If you don't have room, keep some in a storage room and rotate

#138 10 years ago

OK-here we go.
    The Shadow: $2300
    Centaur: $1800
    Swords of Fury: $1100
    Johnny Mnemonic: $1800
    Terminator 2: $2000
    Dirty Harry: $1000

Games I was looking at plugging in, but didn't make the cut: BSD, WPT, WCS, JD, DM
    My prices per game might be off a little, but I think $500 either way is about right.
    If not, the DH doesn't make the cut.

#139 10 years ago

I'd save up a little more & get AC/DC LE & Metallica LE. Nothing more,nothing less.

#140 10 years ago

And the correct answer (so far) is......STTNG! For $4500. Thrilled to be getting one of the greatest (and hardest) pins out there! Thanks to Rod in Florida! Can't wait to see the color DMD and the cannon laser pointers.

Now, for the next $5500, I think I will........

#141 10 years ago

I personally would go for a Metallica Pro (NIB), and then EATPM, EBD and either Mata Hari or Playboy 1978 to round out my $10k, all in working condition, but those are just the machines I personally remember playing and liking most back in the day.

#142 10 years ago

Congrats on the STTNG, it's a great pin. If I had $5500 I'd go for an ACDC, Metallica, GNR, or IJ.

#143 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dbaum88:

Now, for the next $5500, I think I will........

Can you get an ACDC Premium with $5500? That would be my choice.
    Otherwise, WPT + something else (plenty of good suggestions above)

#145 10 years ago

I still love Sorcerer. Out of all the others, that would most likely be my first pick. It would then be followed up by a Seawitch and Meteor, and most likely a few EMs like Sky Jump and Target Alpha and/or Centigrade 37.

#146 10 years ago

Nice choice on the STTNG. That was the game that began my love affair with pinball. With 5500 left you might be able to swing a Centaur and a Creature. Just looked at your profile and Creature seems to be pretty high on your list.

#147 10 years ago

Thanks Piparoo

I already owned a CFTBL and while I loved it, I try not to go backwards.

Update: I WAS going to get a STTNG but the deal fell through. Do not want to be specific since the seller is a great guy and he will relist. I wish him the best. GLWS.

That put me back to square one, until I went to my friend's house and bought his dad's TRON LEGACY PRO!!!! Fully modded, extra, naked translite, shaker motor, Tron Arcade, lighted ramps, etc. etc. Started a seperate thread. When I get it, I will let you all peekaboo at the nekkid ladies shakin their little Tron booties on my backglass.

Pinball is awesome....really feelin it right now. Now, for the remaining $4,100.00....lol.....

#148 10 years ago

I've not played one but from what I've read you're going to have fun with Tron. As I was reading your last post and saw that you were back to square one, I was going to suggest you spend all of that 10k on one of Jpop's custom games. Course, you would have had to wait for it, but I believe he's going to come through with some awesome pins. Hmm, for 4100 you could probably put your hands on a nice STTNG if you are still considering it!

#149 10 years ago

Okay, that didn't take long -

THE CORRECT ANSWER IS -------

1. Tron Legacy Pro (outrageously modded out) - $5,900.00
    2. STTNG (Decent condition) - $3,000.00
    3. Star Wars Data East (Good condition) - $2,000.00.

Thank you to all! A little over $10,000.00 but what the heck.... Wish I had this opportunity all the time but I'm not complaining! Open invitation to all to come on over and play!!

Man, I LOVE pinball!!

#150 10 years ago

Awesome scores. Especially nice price on sttng. Have fun with em.

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-had-up-to-10000-which-pins-to-buy/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.