(Topic ID: 33398)

If you had a place nearby where you live to play pinball...

By tamoore

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by kwiKimart
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If you could play pinball at a local arcade, would you still collect pinball machines?”

• Nope. Having a nearby arcade stocked with cool pinballs would be all I'd need. 3 votes
      4%
    • I'd have one or two of my personal favorites, but not the quantity I have now. 16 votes
      21%
    • I'd still collect them. I like having them near me. 54 votes
      69%
    • I want a pony. 5 votes
      6%

(78 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

...and that place had a well maintained collection of pins with a good diversity of titles, would you collect pinball machines at all?

I'm essentially forced to have a collection if I want to play real pinball at all, because there are only a couple of machines within 50 miles of where I live, and they are trashed.

I have a virtual pinball full screen 3 monitor setup, but that just isn't remotely close enough to real pinball to feed the craving.

If there was an arcade near me which had good pins that I could play, I don't think it would make sense for me to have $20k worth of pinball machines in my home. Even at 75 cents a game, there are a lot of plays in 20 thousand dollars.

What say you?

#2 11 years ago

I am very close to the national pinball museum and I still have pins

#3 11 years ago

We have a nice place near us that has about 6 well maintained pins. They rotate them out, so we even get a chance to try out all of the new Stern's as their released. However, nothing beats having the pins in your own home! If you want to have an impromptu tournament and the loser cleans the kitchen, no one wants to drive across town.

#4 11 years ago

I am smack dab in the middle of a bunch of nice places (Marvin's, Pinball Pete's, Shark Club), but I still like having my collection at home.

One thing I do find location games affecting me is that I find myself leaning more towards getting games I can't play elsewhere for my home collection. For example, I love TSPP. But there are at least 4 different ones on location within 10 miles of my house. Really lessens the desire to pony up the $$ to have Homer and Bart at home.

Later,
    EV

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

...and that place had a well maintained collection of pins with a good diversity of titles, would you collect pinball machines at all?

I make my own Pizza(yes I make the dough) but still buy from places so I would say yes using that analogy.

#6 11 years ago

I like the early 80's pins and those are next to impossible to find in any location so I want to have those in my collection.

#7 11 years ago

I just want a pony.

#8 11 years ago

If there was somewhere around me to play, then I'd be less inclined to have them in my home. But now that I've had them in my home, with no kids running around screaming, no background noise so I can hear what I'm doing, and time to actually learn and appreciate the game... I think I'd probably still have the 1-2 that I do now on ones I really liked. But like EV said, if there was one around me that I liked and could play, I'd be less inclined to want it at my house. Now that I have none around me, I've got worse pinball fever because I've got to buy and ship in anything that I want to play.

#9 11 years ago

Depends on if they are on quarter play or a lump sum fee like CP Pinball.
    I would still have some but my choice of pins would probably be different.

#10 11 years ago

There are several places within 40 miles of me that have pins, including Lost Ark in Greensboro that has 12-14 at most times. I still have pins and want to continue to grow the collection -- it's just awesome being able to invite people over to the house to play, and for me, working on them and upkeep is half (well, maybe a quarter) the fun.

#11 11 years ago

There is 6 games where I work. I play them all the time and also have games at home. I am never more than a few steps away from pinball all day and all night.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

There is 6 games where I work.

I'm envious. My company is moving into a new HQ at the end of next year and I'm trying to convince them to get some pins for the break room, even offered to maintain them.

#13 11 years ago

There's a big gym just down the road.....but I still workout at home.

There's a lot to be said for convenience.

At home I can watch football or listen to music while I play. I can interact with my family. I can grab a snack and drink, and use my own bathroom. I can play a game and then go do something else and then play another.

In fact yesterday I worked out and then played one game of HS2......setting my all time high score (beating my old high score by 2x!).

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I'm essentially forced to have a collection if I want to play real pinball at all, because there are only a couple of machines within 50 miles of where I live, and they are trashed.
    I have a virtual pinball full screen 3 monitor setup, but that just isn't remotely close enough to real pinball to feed the craving.
    If there was an arcade near me which had good pins that I could play, I don't think it would make sense for me to have $20k worth of pinball machines in my home. Even at 75 cents a game, there are a lot of plays in 20 thousand dollars.
    What say you?

I have plenty of places near me that have pins to play. I buy my favorites and the ones that I can't find anywhere else to play. Currently have JD, RBION and STTNG. No one has them on route near me, so I just expanded the selection.

#15 11 years ago

I'd still collect them for the art and the hobby aspect to repair and restoration. But I'd go to the arcade, if the pins were well maintained, it was a nice place to take my family, and that the pins still cost a quarter to play.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

that the pins still cost a quarter to play.

But the 1970's were so long ago.

You do realize rent, utilities, price of equipment, etc. etc., has gone up since then ?

LTG : )

#17 11 years ago

The 80s were still a quarter too. But yes, I realize that. It's just that the average wage hasn't moved in 30 years, so dropping a dollar or two a game is ludicrous. Hence, home use.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

The 80s were still a quarter too. But yes, I realize that. It's just that the average wage hasn't moved in 30 years, so dropping a dollar or two a game is ludicrous. Hence, home use.

1981 Black Knight 50¢.
    1991 75¢ had the same buying power as 50¢.

You really making the same wage now in 2012, as you were in 1980 ?

#19 11 years ago

I would still have a collection. Im not limited on space in any way. I would still play at a local spot often if they did exist. It would give me a chance to play more pins and Im all for that.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You really making the same wage now in 2012, as you were in 1980 ?

I've not been in the workforce that long, but will definitely say, at least around here, wages haven't kept up with inflation by any means. It's pretty grossly behind, I think.

Though definitely not anywhere near the same as 1980s, I do know that my mom's wage is within $12,000 of what she was making in 1997, and prices in these last 15 years have way more than equated to a $1,000 a year inflation stipend.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

I've not been in the workforce that long, but will definitely say, at least around here, wages haven't kept up with inflation by any means. It's pretty grossly behind, I think.

Though definitely not anywhere near the same as 1980s, I do know that my mom's wage is within $12,000 of what she was making in 1997, and prices in these last 15 years have way more than equated to a $1,000 a year inflation stipend.

I understand that, that is why I asked.

Obviously if someone can't buy the same amount of food, gas, essentials. Entertainment money is the first cut.

#22 11 years ago

The machines at our arcade in the 80s were a quarter. Don't remember the titles, but does it really matter? It was meant as a generality. And I said average wage, not mine. Though I can't afford to play a dollar or more a game. Maybe if I were really good, and could keep the ball on the field....

#23 11 years ago

Yep, I am 25 minutes away from the Pacific Pinball Museum, and 5 minutes away from Playland not at the beach (A museum of sorts with about 30 pins, including MB, CV, LOTR and HH.) Plus dozens of bars inbetween with pins.

Although I dont have nearly the huge collection that some of you do, but thats mainly because i can't afford them.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

but does it really matter?

To me it does. I like to hear your view point. Agree with it or not, I listen.

And a part of the market I may need to be after somehow.

#25 11 years ago

Ah. Gotcha. Then you should also know I generally stay with 80s pins, like RWH up there, not much into the cluttered, over-toyed DMD stuff. Nothing against, just not my cup of tea.

#26 11 years ago

I just looked down the Pinside Top 100 and I can honestly say that 96 of them are within a 20 minute drive for me. The remaining 4 are also within a 20 minute drive, but they are in the private collections of good friends.

That being said, I still have 3 or 4 machines come though the revolving front door at my house.

#27 11 years ago

Since I haven't seen any of Black Knight 2000, Haunted House, or Swords of Fury on location in well over a decade, and don't expect to, I'd still have my machines even if there were pinball machines in good condition nearby.

#28 11 years ago

Even if the PHOF was 10 minutes from where I live, I'd still collect pins.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-had-a-place-nearby-where-you-live-to-play-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.