(Topic ID: 102455)

If you had $10k to build a game room from scratch, what would you buy?

By asay

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

clubfld1.jpg
    lawrence-office-space.jpg
    TomArayaButton.png
    RAZOR.jpg
    ROO4 SALE 021.jpg
    20141116_014306.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-561.jpg
    image-65.jpg
    image-884.jpg
    image-108.jpg
    image-627.jpg
    image-570.jpg
    image-777.jpg
    image-124.jpg
    image-690.jpg
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago

I'd put in a projector for movies and TV with a sound system, AFMr, and build a bar with the leftover cash.

#53 9 years ago

Maybe 2 to 4 pins and a multicade game. Probably a couple of classic Williams pins that everyone can enjoy like Taxi and Diner or TOTAN and then a harder one with a significantly deep rule set to hold interest, like LOTR or TSPP. A multicade with some of the Pac-Man games as well as Donkey Kong or DK Jr. Figure $500 for the multicade, $1500 a piece for good versions of Diner and Taxi and then $4500 or more for LOTR and / or TSPP. Although you really have to at least consider AC/DC Pro if not a Premium -- as that would make any home game room totally rock...

#54 9 years ago

I'm spending $35k building one now, not counting the games...

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

Maybe 2 to 4 pins and a multicade game.

I was thinking this route too. There are so many things. I don't think $10,000 is enough!

As a side note, I love your avatar. I have the same picture as the lock screen on my phone.

TRON lives!

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingDaddy:

I'm spending $35k building one now, not counting the games...

I did consider the sum to be difficult to swallow. Given how expensive our machines are these days, 10k doesn't cover many 3+ machine collections.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

But I bought a house just so I could buy a pool table

True, but your new place can fit a pool table AND a pin collection. No need to choose. Man, I'm good.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

^This. Cool decor to set the mood. $1000-$2000?
    Mini fridge and/or bar $500
    Generic sound system $500
    1 multicade arcade such as Arcade Legends or Ultimate Arcade $1000 (used)
    3-4 $2k-ish pins
    Comfy old sofa Free on Craiglist
    Unless you've got a massive space I'd advise against a pool table. I had one once and it only got played when I had company over. Plus it required enough open space for a whole pin collection (about 12' x 16')

I got a sofa once for a pack of cigarettes. It had mites. I won't make that mistake again lol.

#59 9 years ago

Building my room cost me that much with nothing included. I'd go with:
    New stern met/st pro $4700-$5000
    Williams/Bally $2000-$2300
    TV $500
    Fridge $500
    Mame multicade/ arcade game $700
    Pool table on Craigslist $500
    Xbox or PS3 with some games $500

#60 9 years ago

It depends if you are building it for you to enjoy or for your guest to enjoy.

If you look at the best and most well rounded for entertaining I would say cheaper TV and sofa or a few good chairs $1000 for that type stuff and decor. Then I would say Skeeball Machine (everyone loves Skeeball), a Shuttle Alley (second most used machine when we have guest), and a MAME arcade machine. Next would be a Slugfest or other pitch & bat and that should put the total around $5000 so far.

Then I would buy 3 or 4 Data East or William's System 11 machines and a couple earlier SS or EM machines with the other $5000. No need for killer good titles for entertaining - the most played machines in our gameroom are stuff like Shaq Attack, Secret Service, Waterworld, etc.

If you are building the room more for yourself I would say mostly pins and buy what you like. But from my experience pins are not the hit in our gameroom when we have guest.

Pool Tables are a waste of space unless you love playing pool. 95% of the time they just become junk collectors so I would avoid the pool table. Jukeboxes are cool but you don't need to shell out big money for one - you can buy something decent for under $500 if you are not looking for rare / expensive ones.

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish but one thing for sure - everyone loves Skeeball

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish but one thing for sure - everyone loves Skeeball

It's like bowling except much much worse.

#62 9 years ago

Some newer used stern ($2,500)
    A classic DMD ($2,000)
    Golden Tee ($2,000)
    Ivan Stewart Off Road ($500)
    Pool Table ($1,500)
    60 in 1 arcade machine($1,000)
    Megatouch ($500)

#63 9 years ago

Starting from scratch. Relatively inexpensive LED TV and DVD player, cheap love seat or couch, Mini Fridge, used Jukebox (paid $700 for my HUO Rowe), Super Chexx, Dart board, used Multicade, and the rest pinball machines.

#64 9 years ago

add another R/C jet

ROO4 SALE 021.jpgROO4 SALE 021.jpg RAZOR.jpgRAZOR.jpg
    #65 9 years ago

Slayer

TomArayaButton.pngTomArayaButton.png
    #66 9 years ago

I really can't say how much a pool table makes a difference for entertaining. Yes they don't get played as much as they should but when they get play it is a great experience. Listening to music on the jukebox and playing a few games over a few beers is just great bonding. You can pick up nice used slate tables off of craigslist for under 500 bucks. You may need to pay someone to resurface the table and level it correctly. Spend the rest of your cash on a nice multicade and 2 or 3 pinball machines. Have fun! Starting over sounds like fun! it's a clean slate and your options are vast, keep your eyes on Craigslist for deals too! Good Luck!

Maybe come back in a few months and post some finished pictures to this thread.

#67 9 years ago

Here is another attempt - costs are realistic for France, unsure in the US -
    - Mini fridge $200
    - Sofa $200
    - Darts $100
    - Fussball $800
    - Decoration $200
    - Jukebox $500
    - Mame / many-in-one arcade game $500
    - Star trek, ACDC or Mustang Pro $4500
    - WPT $2000
    - One EM $500
    - One decent early SS $500

#68 9 years ago

Lets all make this easy....for $10k you can get a Tron LE

Only one thing to carry in, takes up minimal space, nice and flashy with good game play and a killer soundtrack.

You're welcome

#69 9 years ago

10K? Multiply by 100 and Lawrence gets his dream come true.

lawrence-office-space.jpglawrence-office-space.jpg

#70 9 years ago

I've got 5 arcade machines and 1 T2 pin in my house. When people come over, the only thing that gets played is the T2 pin.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

10K? Multiply by 100 and Lawrence gets his dream come true.
    lawrence-office-space.jpg

Hmmm, 2 chicks at the same time...or pinball.

#72 9 years ago

We could run around pinball suggestions till we're blue in the face...but I'd definitely invest in a SuperChexx!

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Hmmm, 2 chicks at the same time...or pinball.

Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.

#74 9 years ago

Honestly though, I'd make my basement a Hobbit Hole

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Honestly though, I'd make my basement a Hobbit Hole

Yea, I'm not sure what it says about me ... but I'd go with pinball all day.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Yea, I'm not sure what it says about me ... but I'd go with pinball all day.

You could do this. http://laughingsquid.com/apartment-designed-after-star-trek-control-console/
    Just don't forget to build the holodeck. Just don't play any pins in the Holodeck, because they're not as authentic as the real thing.

#77 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

You could do this. http://laughingsquid.com/apartment-designed-after-star-trek-control-console/
    Just don't forget to build the holodeck. Just don't play any pins in the Holodeck, because they're not as authentic as the real thing.

As cool as that is, I'd rather go with a TNG Bridge that is a movie theater.

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

add another R/C jet

ROO4 SALE 021.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
    RAZOR.jpg

You can fly those in your game room???

2 months later
    #79 8 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

You can fly those in your game room???

Sold my jets to buy pinball games. The game room was the former hangar. The R/C club where I flew them had 350 foot runway for take off and landing. They repaved and lengthen it to about 500.

clubfld1.jpgclubfld1.jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-had-10k-to-build-a-game-room-from-scratch-what-would-you-buy/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.