(Topic ID: 102455)

If you had $10k to build a game room from scratch, what would you buy?

By asay

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

clubfld1.jpg
    lawrence-office-space.jpg
    TomArayaButton.png
    RAZOR.jpg
    ROO4 SALE 021.jpg
    20141116_014306.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-561.jpg
    image-65.jpg
    image-884.jpg
    image-108.jpg
    image-627.jpg
    image-570.jpg
    image-777.jpg
    image-124.jpg
    image-690.jpg
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Doesn't have to be just pinball machines, can include a pool table, decorations, etc etc etc.

#2 9 years ago

How much space?

#3 9 years ago

Timber.

rd

#4 9 years ago

If you want to build a game room from scratch, you must first create the universe.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

If you want to build a game room from scratch, you must first create the universe.

And then visit Home Depot.

rd.

#6 9 years ago

Oops didn't mean to post this in Buy advice...this is hypothetical. Anyway...the room is already there. Assume space is not an issue.

#7 9 years ago

1 new Stern of your liking @ 5k
    1 Williams @ 2-3k
    1 Sega/Data East @ 1-2k

Personally:
    TSPP
    T2 / Pinbot
    Apollo 13

#8 9 years ago

Every pinball guy should always have a jukebox .always popular with the pin playing guest

#9 9 years ago

Black light decor. A real retro arcade. Mine makes me feel like I left the house and went to an arcade and the whole arcade is on free play.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Black light decor. A real retro arcade. Mine makes me feel like I left the house and went to an arcade and the whole arcade is on free play.

^This. Cool decor to set the mood. $1000-$2000?

Mini fridge and/or bar $500

Generic sound system $500

1 multicade arcade such as Arcade Legends or Ultimate Arcade $1000 (used)

3-4 $2k-ish pins

Comfy old sofa Free on Craiglist

Unless you've got a massive space I'd advise against a pool table. I had one once and it only got played when I had company over. Plus it required enough open space for a whole pin collection (about 12' x 16').

#11 9 years ago

How big is the room ? How many pins or arcade games can you put in it?

Would follow NorCalRealtor suggestions for an average size game room. Otherwise, if larger, get 2-3 inexpensive EMs instead of one of the $2k-ish pins.

Add darts

#12 9 years ago

Here's my blacklight decor. Carpet and lights ran around 1,500.00. Ed

image.jpgimage.jpg image-589.jpgimage-589.jpg image-124.jpgimage-124.jpg image-690.jpgimage-690.jpg image-570.jpgimage-570.jpg image-777.jpgimage-777.jpg image-65.jpgimage-65.jpg image-627.jpgimage-627.jpg image-561.jpgimage-561.jpg image-108.jpgimage-108.jpg image-884.jpgimage-884.jpg
    #13 9 years ago

For music get a wall mount jukebox. Takes up very little space and with extra speakers it will blast. I paid 500.00 for mine and it came with 100 CDs. That thing is a must have item for your arcade. With the new internet jukes out the cd ones are getting cheaper by the day

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #14 9 years ago

A bowler-- big ball bowler if you have room, a shuffle alley if you don't.

#15 9 years ago

Is $10k the equipment budget or total? Lighting, carpet/flooring/power all need to be considered and could take up a significant portion of that figure.

#16 9 years ago

More pins.. pins everywhere! Ah ha ha ha!

#17 9 years ago

IMO, if you ask which pins you should buy, you will get 100 different opinions but I am guessing you are asking a general question as to what types of stuff you should consider when building a gameroom.

Peripheral lighting is great for playing and overhead is great when working.
    Neons are great but placement is critical to reduce glare. Put receptacles behind the neons so you don't have cords hanging everywhere.
    Size matters to what to put in there. I always wanted a Chexx but they take up lots of room.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

IMO, if you ask which pins you should buy, you will get 100 different opinions but I am guessing you are asking a general question as to what types of stuff you should consider when building a gameroom.

I didn't want suggestions exactly, I'm just curious to see what people would go for first if they had to start over.

#19 9 years ago

If I had $10K and was starting from scratch, I would get...

pinball:
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Star Trek the Next Generation... or instead of the STTNG, maybe a Demo Man and a No Fear!

arcade:
    Final Fight
    Raiden Fighters 2
    Centipede
    Ms. Pac Man
    maybe a Defender or a DK Jr.

Plus a jukebox and a pool table if I had space. I think that's around $10K. Maybe a little over.

(I own a BSD and those first 3 arcades, so that's how I know I would like them!)

#20 9 years ago

Sand. Wall to wall. I know a great sand guy.

#21 9 years ago

Foundation, lumber, drywall, electrical conduit, Lighting, Siding and 3tab.

If it is RD's game room then no money left as the sq ft is just too large... Or not large enough depending on the depth of your affliction.

Honestly I think Congo, Shadow, Taxi and Flash Gordon maybe some novus and mill wax.

List would change slightly if Pac Man Battle Royale was cheaper. Great fun with groups and drinks.
    Also maybe foosball, pool table, Dartboard, Shuffle board, Slot machine, multicade.

#22 9 years ago

10k not much these days.....1 LE....and a 6pack..... ........Joey

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Here's my blacklight decor. Carpet and lights ran around 1,500.00. Ed

Is that a stripper pole i see ?

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Foundation, lumber, drywall, electrical conduit, Lighting, Siding and 3tab.
    If it is RD's game room then no money left as the sq ft is just too large... Or not large enough depending on the depth of your affliction

Haha! Lucky I had all the games before I built my room.

Seriously though, there is no real answer to the OPs question.

Aside from budget, we don't know
    1/ what size are we outfitting?
    2/ what sort of games do you like? EMs? SS? DMD?

For $10,000 you can buy a LOT of EMs and 1980s SS machines.

Or, as Breaking_Dad said above (cool name by the way) one STLE and a couple of beers.

If you have the room, and you have a lot of folks over, I would recommend a good air hockey table, like a Fast Track.

My air hockey table gets a thrashing when I have a lot of people around.

rd.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #26 9 years ago

For *me*, using reasonable prices for today...

Iron Man pin - $3800 (just saw a nicely modded one for $4300, this is routed in my mind)
    Viper: Night Drivin' pin - $1800
    Jurassic Park pin - $1800
    4 Square EM pin - $400
    Cybernaut pin - $500
    F14 Tomcat pin - $1000

Maximum Force arcade vid - $250
    Galaxian arcade vid - $200
    4 player JAMMA cabinet - $250

I think that is both a really good overall selection of stuff, and it gives me my favorite four pins and top two vids. I wrestled a little with putting IM in there, as when I was starting collecting I constantly was passing on games like MM because I thought (and still do) that three $1200 games are better than one $4000 game - which it was at the time, but IM was the first game that made me immediately think that I would sell three games to pick one up.

Luckily, I didn't have to

#27 9 years ago

Clearcoat playfields.

#28 9 years ago

Build a multicade with a multiplayer control panel
    One EM, one early SS, one bang-for-the-buck DMD (ie WCS, JD, NBA FB, JM, DM, BSD, R&B, LAH, LW3, TFTC, etc)
    An inexpensive bar and beer fridge
    Arcade neons from Gu

#29 9 years ago

Make sure you have a couple of good EMs in the mix. Nothing is better for head to head play when you have friends over. Bang for the buck can't be beat either.

2 months later
    #30 9 years ago

A Big Ball Bowler !
    Slot Car Track 4-8 Lanes

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Make sure you have a couple of good EMs in the mix. Nothing is better for head to head play when you have friends over. Bang for the buck can't be beat either.

Sorry but these are so incredibly boring. There's no way a bunch of people are coming by to play these. May as well put some cool posters on the wall and have a card table.

#33 9 years ago

Pins aren't the end all be all. Take some of that budget and put in a sauna! I use it more than I play pins. Sauna + Sonos = one of life's simple pleasures.

20141116_014306.jpg20141116_014306.jpg

#34 9 years ago

Ha, I like the sauna idea...

I would have to buy some rough games & fix/rebuild them to make this happen, but here's my list:

- Mounted TV in the corner w/ cable, Apple TV, & Wii U
    - bar table & 2 chairs
    - Funhouse
    - TSPP
    - Space Shuttle
    - Galaga
    - Burgertime
    - Pacman Cabaret
    - Mario Bros
    - a few posters

#35 9 years ago

10k likely wouldnt go very far, so I'd probably go for (shoot me?) a good quality virtual pin, couple decent multi-arcade machines, one nicer real machine and a few nice EM's or SS. I know a virtual pin isnt going to play the same but the variety is cool, also good for getting more familiar with machines I'd look to pick up later. I'd also pick up a foosball table, good stuff for 2-4 players.

4 months later
    #36 9 years ago

TV
    DVD-Blu Ray-VHS Players
    Pool Table
    Mario Kart Arcade
    Tekken 3
    WWF Royal Rumble
    Judge Dredd
    Minibar
    Stools
    Memorabilia (of selected sport)
    Gameroom Lighting
    Gameroom Carpet

#37 9 years ago

This is a great topic !

#38 9 years ago

finishing a basement or building a separate gameroom would cost more than that. Assuming the structure is there and ready to go:

NBA Jam TE 4 player (500)
    Original Tapper Arcade (800)
    Cocktail original Galaga/Ms Pacman (1000)
    Sopranos (3700)
    T-2 (2000)
    Demo Man (2000)

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Sorry but these are so incredibly boring. There's no way a bunch of people are coming by to play these. May as well put some cool posters on the wall and have a card table.

I had 30 people over for a poker game, and most played my pop a shot and my one EM and ignored the Big Game and EBD.

#40 9 years ago

Looking at a lot of these lists and it seems like people are not adding things up. All of us get the ocassional good deal, but for something like this you really need to break it down to what you can realistically get things for.

8 Ft Brunswick/Olhausen pool table - 250 (Just have to wait until someone is moving in a day or two and they sell them stupidly cheap. It does mean you have to be very open as to the style/wood.)

Bottle Vending Machine - 500

Daytona USA 1k for a pair

Stereo for 250 using flea market parts driven by a small SOC style pc.

That leaves 8k for pins.
    SF2 - 1k
    JP - 2k
    SG - 2k
    RBION - 3k

Quoted from PinBiohazard:

TV
    Mario Kart Arcade

If you intend to get a dual sit down they go for well over 2500 still.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I had 30 people over for a poker game, and most played my pop a shot and my one EM and ignored the Big Game and EBD.

People who come over love playing my EMs too. They're really good for group stuff too, because they have short ball times, and you don't have to watch someone trying to get to the wizard mode or play endless multiballs.

#42 9 years ago

very simple rules get people hooked faster. Only takes 1-2 games to get someone hooked on an EM for the night at least. They might not be banging on your door to play everyday, but the casual get together of non-pinheads love EMs.

#43 9 years ago

EATPM
    TZ
    Popcorn Machine
    Shaved Ice Machine
    Ping Pong Table

#44 9 years ago

PS4 400.00 and get the pinball arcade game,has 22 tables on it-

Medieval Madness,Twilight Zone,Tales of the arabain nights,Cirqus Voltaire,Star Trek next gen,Attack from Mars,Funhouse,Blackhole,Theatre of Magic,Elvira and the party monsters,Elvira scared stiff,Ripleys Believe it or Not,Creature From the Black Lagoon,Gorgar,Black Knight,Bride of Pinbot,Big Shot,Harley Davidson,Monster Bash,No good Gophers,Genie and Taxi.

Get a 500.00 Flat screen.
    New Multicade 1500.00

Would leave 7500 for pins,which could get you a cheaper DMD,and maybe 2 SS machines.

#45 9 years ago

old blue chexx hockey ...... $800 -1000
    bumper pool table (slate rectangle) off Craig's List ...... $100 - 200
    60 in 1 arcade game .......... around $500
    tv with surround sound (doesn't have to be the biggest or best) ......... $1000 - 1200
    used Stern game with deeper rules ........ $2500-4500
    used classic Bally/Williams from early 80's ........ under $1200
    late 80's and up pinball machine ........ $the remaining cash you have after above is bought

That would make a sweet home game room

#46 9 years ago

2 pinball machines at 2-3000
    1 612 in one arcade cabinet 1000
    7 or 8 foot pool table 2000
    a Rowe cd or conversion to mp3 jukebox 500-1000 bucks

If you have any money left over put it into lighting the game room with blacklights or neons.

#48 9 years ago

I would pay someone to build the damn thing instead of doing it myself

#49 9 years ago

I've never felt the need for a Jukebox, I setup a Chromecast on my Entertainment system, and when people come over they can connect and put you tube videos on the screen, you can even add them in a queue. It works great and is a $35 expense.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Unless you've got a massive space I'd advise against a pool table. I had one once and it only got played when I had company over. Plus it required enough open space for a whole pin collection (about 12' x 16').

But I bought a house just so I could buy a pool table

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-had-10k-to-build-a-game-room-from-scratch-what-would-you-buy/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.