(Topic ID: 144916)

If you could win a $9,000 pinball machine?

By dannunz

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dannunz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dannunz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Would you bring 2 games to a show and put them in free play?

#7 8 years ago

Guys were talking about a $9000 game would that be not worth renting a $35 trailer for?

Hypothetically speaking of course.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Hell, depending on the show/time that may be enough incentive to get me to travel from WI.

I'm sure you have herd of us....Pintastic New England July 7th to July 9th 2016

We already have over $3000 in prizes allotted for the 2016 free play raffle this year!

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

That drawing would be limited to people at the show who bring 2 or more games? Pretty good odds of winning.

I'm not saying their is a raffle. But if their was it would be limited but not that limited lol.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

Shouldn't quality and rating of the machines be a factor as well? If I'm bringing HUO TZ, MM and WW and someone else is bringing a beat up Flash, Super Star and Olympics, should these be weighted equally?

I guess the game would have to be in good working condition. But I'm not sure how to do what you are asking although it is a good idea. But their are some incredible older games that people love to play as well.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

awesome stuff, unfortunately bad timing for me. That is a family week for me.

Bring your family! Pintastic is family friendly. Tons of free family fun stuff included with your ticket.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

No.
    Rent a trailer. Cost of gas for the trailer. Extra work to move a second machine, set it up. Risk of it getting damaged in transit or breaking down at the show. All so you can get a raffle ticket that is *limited but not that limited*. Cheaper to throw in 50 bucks to project pinball and potentially a lot less heartache.

You will have the option to buy a ticket as well if you are present at the show. Only a limited number of tickets will be sold. Hypothetically

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If that were the hypothetical option of buying a ticket, then I would not be bringing any games for that incentive.

Even if the purchased tickets were limited? Maybe 2 free play tickets gets you one entry. But it cost you $60 to buy your way in. Limit 100 purchased tickets.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Then why not just purchase a ticket and save all the hassle?

Nothing is set in stone yet that's why I am asking for your opinions. I want to raise money for the show. Afterparty/entertainment but also give people bringing games more of an incentive to do so. Thoughts?

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Would ONLY do it if:
    limited to 100 entires
    each person bringing 2 games gets 1 free entry
    each person bringing 2 games has option of purchasing 1 additional entry for $60
    each person bringing 1 game has option of purchasing 1 entry for $120
    NO entries for purchase for those not bringing any games.

If we bumped that up to 150 that may work

#37 8 years ago

I'm trying to raise money for the show and get more games in free play. Is their a way to do it?

#44 8 years ago

Ok I think we are going to change things up a bit. Do 2 games at a lesser value. One only free play games. How should this be structured?

One people purchase a limited amount of tickets.

Value of each game is $4500.....thoughts?

#47 8 years ago

Ok looks like we will be doing 2 $4500 machines.

One will be for people who bring games and put them in free play ONLY. I'm thinking the game will need to be in free play for the whole show to qualify for the raffle. One ticket for every game you put in free play. You will also get one ticket for that same game that will go into the free play raffle were you could win one of 24 prizes that are all valued at $75 to $100 prize packs. Even one $100 cash prize each day.

The second $4500 machine will be raffled off I'm thinking 80 tickets at $50 each but you must either buy the ticket with your show ticket purchase or at the show if any are left. This money will go to putting on the after party and kids entertainment.

Sound good?

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

What happens when a game sells (as they often do)

Tell them they need to stay on the floor till 6pm on Saturday than they can pick it up. Most people will be ok with that. Anyone who gets in for the weekend in Texas has to keep their game on the floor till the end or be forced to pay for a weekend pass. It seems to work well their.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sounds like a solid plan!
    Is there any limit to the number of tickets handed out for the freeplay only game?
    If you want to incentivize people to bring mulripl games then maybe do 1 game = 1 ticket, 2 games = 3 tickets, 3 games = 5 tickets, etc...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Also maybe extra tickets for rare games.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

I really like your general idea, bring a game and set it to free play and you get entered into an exclusive raffle for a free game- I think we can all agree that ANY FREE Game is awesome!.
    However, give the likelihood that the winner will own more than 1 game and may not live down the street, I might suggest, the following, which may not be possible.... Could you give the winner the chance to choose between the offered game, or a cash prize (obviously not $4500- maybe just 1500, 1000??) Is there any mechanism for this? Just curious, because although winning a free game is awesome, some people will invariably either have the game, not want it, or not have the space to bring it back (and then do they want to pony up shipping if its a title the are *MEH* about? or do you want to build shipping cost into this).
    It would greatly depend on how your purchasing the game, and if you could somehow hold the cash back and purchase the game only after the individual who wins decides they want it. I realize were no longer talking about a new game here, so its probably not going to be purchased from a distributor type business - which would make this difficult- but maybe not.
    If you added this type of option I think you would make it nearly universally appealing. Have too many games??? need 1000 bucks to have a play field cleared? Bring your game to the event it may pay for your much desired upgrade. Think the free title is awesome and its been on your list forever? Bring a game, you might win it!!!
    Then you can advertise the free title as well as the cash and both people are incentivized to bring games.

The game is new and can be shipped if needed.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Which show is this in regards too?

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

safe to assume this contest ONLY applies to those bringing pinball machines and not the arcades?

We want to bring in 40 max of the top arcade games this year. You will not be able to get into this raffle with a arcade machine. We will be offering free admission for arcade games up to 40 and they will most likely be entered into a drawing for a video game or prize pack. Not sure yet what that will be yet.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

as a pinhead, I will say this loses me.
    Similar to the reality that vids killed pinball on route because they were easier to maintain, I do not think vids should be valued at the same level for bringing to a show.
    Bringing a well playing pinball is way more work then bringing a well playing vid. I don't think that is reallu up for discussion. The effort/value equation gets way out of whack if you include vids IMO.
    Maybe do something different for the vid collectors? Aren't most vids still 4-800 bucks? Seems like you could do a seperate raffle for them of a 500 game and they woudl be stoked?

I agree they are two different animals and need to be handled seperatly.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from anthony691:

I still think the best incentive would be a quarter-based donation system.
    Increase the entry fee by ten dollars and give every entrant a $10 roll of quarters. People don't have to use the quarters in the free play area if they don't want to. Sell additional rolls of quarters to whoever wants them. The mandatory first roll is a "sticky default" that would greatly increase the net of donations.
    Machines are still set to free play, but attendees can drop quarters in games they enjoy.
    I think this checks all the boxes:
    1) no cost to the show
    2) voluntary
    3) incentive is based on how much attendees enjoy the game.
    The only real downside is it might require game bringers to disconnect their lockout coils if any games depower the coil when set to free play.
    I realize I might be an outlier in this respect, but I'd surely spend at least $20 worth of quarters to thank game bringers.

Yes but then you have to deal with coin mechs working and quarters everywere. People will get confused and start asking for change lol. So no it's one price at the door and everything is free including all the kids entertainment. This will not change. I think we will be offering the best incentives to bring games ever this year at Pintastic.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from Radagast:

It might be dangerous to offer such a tangible, monetary incentive for people to bring machines to set on free play. The social science research shows that sometimes people respond to incentives in surprising ways. In this case, a $50 or $60 raffle ticket is not really very much in exchange for the time, energy, and potential risk in the form of heavy play that bringing machines to a festival involves. People bring machines because of the pinball community, to share pinball with others, out of a feeling of reciprocation, or even to show off. It might seem logical to expect that an extra material-ish reward would just supplement the other motivations, but research suggests that it might actually end up substituting for those other motives instead. The community party and other things like that offered to folks who bring machines are better because they are more socially-aligned rewards, further building the pinball community and reinforcing the social benefits that are already driving people to bring their machines. If people who collect $N000 toys start thinking about pintastic in terms of making a buck or whatever, that's probably not for the best.
    That being said, in psychology you never for sure until you try something!

You don't understand exactly what I am doing. Being able to win a $4500 pinball machine is an added bonus to all the other things you get if you bring a game to Pintastic.

Entry to the after party....weekend pass as long as your game is in free play....entry into the free play raffle were you can win one of 24 prizes ranging from $75 to $100 in value and now a chance to win a new machine. Tickets can not be purchased for this raffle.

We have another new $4500 machine that you can buy tickets for. Separate raffle.

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

If I was assured of winning the $9,000 game? Absolutely!
    For just a chance at winning the game? Absolutely not.

So basically if I pay you $9000 you will put 2 games in free play. Let me think about that.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, I usually go in thinking I won't win anything, which is typically the case 999 times out of 1000. I once even had a crackerjack box, and it was missing a prize
    So, by some freak chance should I win something, I consider it a perk.
    So, for pintastic, I go for the fun of it

You can't win if you don't play.

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

If there was a show local that offered this, I'd bring two of my machines regardless. Having a drawing for prizes and the chance to win a pin is just an added bonus.
    Very cool idea and I think you'll have a great show.

Thank you for saying this. Because I have worked very hard to come up with these insentives for the people who bring games. Im sure we will be adding a few more like $100 of invisaglass and $50 of a color Dmd if you bring a game this year.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dannunz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-could-win-a-9000-pinball-machine?tu=dannunz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.