(Topic ID: 48649)

If You Could Pick The Next Stern Rock Band Pin, Who Would It Be & Why!

By ZippyThePinhead

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 251 posts
  • 134 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Jimmyd044
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If The Following Were Your Choices To Chose From for Stern's Next Rock Band Pin, Which Would You Like To See Most?”

• Pink Floyd 75 votes
      31%
    • Led Zepplin 62 votes
      26%
    • Ozzy 27 votes
      11%
    • ZZ Top 14 votes
      6%
    • Megadeth 14 votes
      6%
    • Van Halen 26 votes
      11%
    • Aerosmith 22 votes
      9%

(240 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BA0B5D7F7999D480E01680F978ABBE69.jpg
    th-5.jpeg
    meatmen-war_of_the_superbikes.jpg
    portada.png
    120306097.jpg
    Offspring_6.jpg
    Offspring_5.jpg
    Offspring_4.jpg
    image.jpg
    Offspring_3.jpg
    Offspring_2.jpg
    Offspring.jpg

There are 251 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 10 years ago

There are not many bands that I hate more than Rush.. ug.

#102 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

There are not many bands that I hate more than Rush.. ug.

I don't hate them, but I always thought the singer was a chick.

#103 10 years ago

People keep mentioning Rush, but would this machine sell crazy numbers like AC/DC and Metallica? I know one song (Tom Sawyer) and other than that, they featured in the movie I Love You, Man. If I asked most people I know who Rush were, I'm not sure if they'd know who they are. Not sure if it's being Australian or my age?

Going by bands I liked in high school, the next machine to be produced will be Nirvana.
    :-p

Cheers!
    Adam.

#104 10 years ago

People keep mentioning Rush, but would this machine sell crazy numbers like AC/DC and Metallica? I know one song (Tom Sawyer) and other than that, they featured in the movie I Love You, Man. If I asked most people I know who Rush were, I'm not sure if they'd know who they are. Not sure if it's being Australian or my age?
    Going by bands I liked in high school, the next machine to be produced will be Nirvana.
    :-p
    Cheers!
    Adam.

I did not recognize their name. Had to youtube them to hear a song I recognized. Very obscure. Since we are on a new page I will re-post my picture vote for the next rock pin in pictures.

Offspring_4.jpgOffspring_4.jpg Offspring_5.jpgOffspring_5.jpg Offspring_6.jpgOffspring_6.jpg

#105 10 years ago

Never thought of the Offspring as a pin, but they have a lot of good catchy songs. Got the blood pumping when one of their tracks come on during Tony Hawk 2 or Crazy Taxi games.

#106 10 years ago

Iron Maiden! No pink boring Floyd. Add Iron Maiden to the poll and it will win.

#107 10 years ago

KISS
    Iron Maiden
    Rush

.....The Butthole Surfers!

#108 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I did not recognize their name. Had to youtube them to hear a song I recognized. Very obscure. Since we are on a new page I will re-post my picture vote for the next rock pin in pictures.

People keep telling me Rush is niche...but I just can't believe it...obscure?! You've never heard Spirit of Radio? Fly By Night? Working Man? Closer to the Heart? Freewill? Limelight? Time Stand Still? Subdivisions? These songs were on the radio all the time in the 80's and 90's...Rush was even prominently featured in the movie "I Love You, Man" recently.

I dunno, man...to me this is like the soundtrack to LIFE lol...It makes me sad that you don't know these songs.

To me, THIS is what a pinball should sound like when you hit START:

#109 10 years ago

I think the best Rush album by far was their self titled first (which coincidently is without Neil Peart).

I like their other albums too but like a lot of bands, it can be difficult to recapture the raw unspoiled magic of their debut. I remember buying it the day it came out on 8-Track. We must have played that sucker a million times. By far one of the best albums of the 70s.

I don't dislike Neil Peart but he did kind of ruin them in that his influence helped take them down the path of spaced-out conceptual folly. Not that it was the wrong thing to do at the time but they never recaptured the sheer energy and no-nonsense straight ahead rock that their 1st album had. I have all of their releases though and they are all worthy.

I do think they deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame and would definitely like to see a Rush pin in the future.

#110 10 years ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

Never thought of the Offspring as a pin, but they have a lot of good catchy songs. Got the blood pumping when one of their tracks come on during Tony Hawk 2 or Crazy Taxi games.

You could easily score 12 killer pinball songs off of Offspring's large volume of work. They started off as a thrash metal band but had a bunch of songs that were kind of metal pop that were extremely popular. Really a diverse and just good simple fun band.

Interestingly, they were the biggest supporter of Napster . . . and Metallica were the biggest opponents. The two bands had many issues with each other as I recall.

#111 10 years ago

Seriously stop it with the offspring...good lord....embarresing. No one outside of Cali has heard more than 2 Offspring songs...and those were in 98?

Rush is a classic theme that would not live out. I like some Rush, and they belong in the Rock hall no doubt. But nobody has listened or cared aboot a Rush album in 30 years...other than hardcore fans. Moving Pictures...sure I'll rock out with you all day & night.
    Metallica makes the most god awful musics I've ever heard...but I understand they are a global force and a wide range of people enjoy them. Iron Maiden is all the rage these days, er on this site only, and I guess if they made that sales in Brazil would go up 125%

#112 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Seriously stop it with the offspring...good lord....embarresing. No one outside of Cali has heard more than 2 Offspring songs...and those were in 98?

Sold over 55 million albums world wide = Offspring. They've had a lot of hits, waaaaay more than two songs. Look at all the different countries where their songs or albums hit number one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring_discography

#113 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Sold over 55 million albums world wide = Offspring.

Sorry, are you trying to show me in the last 10 years they've sold 500,000 records in 'Mercia? Wow.

Do you really want me to list more album sales by artists? Well i wont bog down this site with them. Here's link...it doesn't go as far down as 55 million...but kenny G, Black Eyed Peas, Spice Girls, & Andrea Bocelli (whomever that is) is over 20 million more. None of us are awaiting those pins.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

#114 10 years ago

Yep, Australians just aren't in the know when it comes to Rush. Same applies for Winger, and Aerosmith only caught on here in the late 80s.

Found this Australian forum discussing Rush:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1074182

#115 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sorry, are you trying to show me in the last 10 years they've sold 500,000 records in 'Mercia? Wow.
    Do you really want me to list more album sales by artists? Well i wont bog down this site with them. Here's link...it doesn't go as far down as 55 million...but kenny G, Black Eyed Peas, Spice Girls, & Andrea Bocelli (whomever that is) is over 20 million more. None of us are awaiting those pins.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

Now you are changing the rules of the discussion. I believe you said:

Quoted from TheLaw:

I was just pointing out that plenty of people outside of Cali have heard more than 2 Offspring songs.

#116 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I like some Rush, and they belong in the Rock hall no doubt. But nobody has listened or cared aboot a Rush album in 30 years...other than hardcore fans.

Metallica makes the most god awful musics I've ever heard...but I understand they are a global force and a wide range of people enjoy them. Iron Maiden is all the rage these days, er on this site only, and I guess if they made that sales in Brazil would go up 125%

Get serious. Iron Maiden? That's embarrassing. I can't even believe they are still around.

All the rage these days? Heck they were lame when I was a juvenile and they totally suck now!

lol

I can think of a million bands more worthy but heck if some kids will pay thousands of dollars for an Iron Maiden machine they will probably build one.

It's largely sales driven.

#117 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Get serious. Iron Maiden? That's embarrassing. I can't even believe they are still around.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-vs-iron-maiden-which-theme-would-you-rather-have

#118 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I was just pointing out that plenty of people outside of Cali have heard more than 2 Offspring songs.

To me, Offpsring = Crazy Taxi. YA YA YA YA YA!!!!

In any case - I don't think Offspring is that iconic or has lasted in the public consciousness much longer than their little bubble in the 90's. I think that's the key thing for picking a music themed pin...have they stood the test of time - classic yet contemporary. Also - would their hardcore fanbase shell out 1000's for a pinball machine? AC/DC - yes. Metallica - yes. IMO, RUSH- yes!

#119 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Get serious. Iron Maiden? That's embarrassing.

All the rage on these boards is what I was saying.

#120 10 years ago

The poll is pretty funny, I really can't believe that people want a PF pinball machine more than anything else, lol. The only one up there that I could really see associated with pinball is Van Halen, as they have a lot of upbeat and funny songs that would blend well with pinball. The other bands up there (especially PF) don't really have music that would jive very well with pinball. Same with Rush, not really pinballish. Van Halen has some off the wall songs like "Hot for Teacher" and "Ice Cream Man" that would be pretty funny modes on a game. They've also got some sappy songs that would just be awful in a pinball machine though. Rush would be a good theme if you never wanted your wife or girlfriend to ever play it.

#121 10 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Van Halen has some off the wall songs like "Hot for Teacher" and "Ice Cream Man" that would be pretty funny modes on a game.

Agreed...and if it was a DLR machine that may be diff'rent. The early stuff was great....that ended 20+ years ago. How many "right now" modes do I have to sit through?

#123 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Agreed...and if it was a DLR machine that may be diff'rent. The early stuff was great....that ended 20+ years ago. How many "right now" modes do I have to sit through?

You hit the nail on the head there.

Limit the tunes from 1978-85 and it would be awesome.

#124 10 years ago

I think they should make a timeline pin by decade. The theme would be based on current events and music of the decade.
    1960's-vietman war, Kennedy assinated, Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, escape from Alcatraz, Woodstock, etc... and some great Bob Dylan, Beatles, (right!!), Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Cream. I am showing my age but could list some great music from the 60's.

The next game would be the 1970's, MASH, US pulls out of Vietnam, Elvis is dead!!(a few vicoden, codeine and valium drop into the coin return slot) , London bridge brought to US, (London bridge on the playfield), some really cool psychodelic music, doors, Jimi Hendrix, Styx, even some disco with a small disco ball)

You get the idea, each game a different decade, up to 2000.

1990 could start out with the Iraq invasion, looking for weapons of mass destruction and the game does a ball search forever.... WACO, OJ Simpson murders his wife,(a bloody glove grabs the ball like Thing on TAF), Lorena Bobbit,(a severed pecker pops out of the playfield as a ball stop), (please don't take the next one as racist) Nelson Mandela free, (black pinball scores extra points during Mandella mode) , Titanic Movie, (sinking titanic on the playfield). etc........ But no Brittny Spears, PLEASE!!

Bet getting rights from all the different artists would be almost impossible though.

#125 10 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

I vote they stop making rock band pins of old bands that appeal only to old guys.
    Start making video game themed pins - Call of Duty, Halo, Legend of Zelda, Final Fanatasy, Half Life, WOW, etc.

A Legend of Zelda pinball would be epic! And I only ever played the original NES gold cart, but I know that license has a ton of power in the younger crowd.

#126 10 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Anything but Aerosmith...please god! that band sucks so bad.

What the heck are you talking about? Aerosmith rocks! What kind of bands do you like AbacusMan AKA Aerosmith-hater?

#127 10 years ago
    Quoted from telmnstr:

A Legend of Zelda pinball would be epic! And I only ever played the original NES gold cart, but I know that license has a ton of power in the younger crowd.

I want Castlevania first and been saying this for a while.

#128 10 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Anything but Aerosmith...please god! that band sucks so bad.

I couldn't agree more with you. Love in an elevator and dude looks like a lady are 2 of the worst songs of all time. How about a 311 pin? I bet Nick Hexum would let them license it for free.

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from SummerGirl144:

What the heck are you talking about? Aerosmith rocks! What kind of bands do you like AbacusMan AKA Aerosmith-hater?

For me Aerosmith would be like Van Halen. I'd have to focus more on their earlier 70's albums (which are totally fantastic).

The fact that someone equates Aerosmith only with "Elevator" and "Dude looks like a lady" tells me they are either too young to know the real Aerosmith or never really heard their entire body of work because that stuff is long past their prime material. The 1st five Aerosmith albums though are some of the greatest all-time classics of rock history.

#130 10 years ago

Anything has to be better than Metallica... "Buzz your girlfriend.. woof" I was so disappointed in that band choice. Great art work with a super lame band. If I had to pick one from this list it would def be Zeppelin. Wide range of music and great art work.

#131 10 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I couldn't agree more with you. Love in an elevator and dude looks like a lady are 2 of the worst songs of all time. How about a 311 pin? I bet Nick Hexum would let them license it for free.

You don't happen to look like a lady do you, which means you can't get love in an elevator? I can see why you would hate those songs in that case, lol. With Aerosmith there's like a 50/50 split between people who like the old stuff vs new stuff. To do a pinball machine, you'd have to have things like:

Walk this Way
    Sweet Emotion
    Same old song and dance
    Dream On (reserved for wizard mode or something)
    Dude Looks like a lady
    Rag Doll
    Livin' on the edge
    Shut up and dance
    Back in the Saddle
    Janie's Got a Gun
    Love in an Elevator
    Mama Kin

There are plenty of songs that would fit, I just don't think it would be compelling enough to sell (i.e. not enough hardcore fans out there).

#132 10 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

With Aerosmith there's like a 50/50 split between people who like the old stuff vs new stuff.

Then theres their best stuff.

#133 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Then theres their best stuff.
    » YouTube video

Big ten inch!

#134 10 years ago

Lord of the Thighs, Rats in the Cellar, Uncle Salty, Nobody's Fault, Toys, etc,etc,etc,
    120306097.jpg120306097.jpg

#135 10 years ago

I had that exact same 8-Track.

But then I had all their albums on 8-Track.

That one looks like a Columbia House one.

#136 10 years ago

THE ANGELS
    Features:
    "Take a Long Line"
    "No Secrets"
    "Mr Damage"
    "Comin' Down"
    "Into the Heat"
    "Fashion and Fame"
    "Night Attack"
    "No Secrets"
    "Eat City"
    "Devils Gate"
    "Shadow Boxer"

#137 10 years ago

"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" was written for Celine Dion by Diane Warren.

When it was too sucky for even Celine, Aerosmith picked it up and made it their anthem.

Live Bootleg was probably the last real Areosmith album.

#138 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" was written for Celine Dion by Diane Warren.
    When it was too sucky for even Celine, Aerosmith picked it up and made it their anthem.
    Live Bootleg was probably the last real Areosmith album.

I'm kind of in between, I like some of their old and new. After their comeback, Pump was a great album. Permanent Vacation and Get a Grip were pretty decent. Nine lives then was just ok, and then they fell of a cliff with Just Push Play. Their latest isn't particularly good either. It just seems like their sound has been 'lost', some of their stuff after Get a grip sounds almost out of tune at times.

#139 10 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Those songs are just so bad. If I had to rate best to worst it would go

1. Dude looks like a lady
    2. Elevator
    3. Anything by 311.

#140 10 years ago

Queen. Can't believe more people aren't saying this!

#141 10 years ago
    Quoted from playpin35:

How about Metallica being the last music pin? They made the Rolling Stones, AC/DC and now Metallica. Other than another Kiss pin, which won't happen, I think they need to move on to something else. I definately do not care for the super hero crap, WOZ, or The Hobbit either.

So you say no music, no super heroes, no fantasy, no old TV shows, and considering original themes are passe at Stern, what's left... a 4th Star Wars? A 3rd Star Trek? At least a new music pin is...well... new.

#142 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Those songs are just so bad. If I had to rate best to worst it would go
    1. Dude looks like a lady
    2. Elevator
    3. Anything by 311.

Yes I hate trendy 311 and most of the bands just like them. They are probably in my top ten followed by Weezer.

#143 10 years ago

got to admit Aerosmith would make a good pin. Still want Floyd.

My number one all time greatest pin would be The Grateful Dead. Flame on.

#144 10 years ago

Would Billy Joel have enough mass appeal and be upbeat enough to sell pins.

#145 10 years ago

We need an ignore thread option...

#146 10 years ago

Definitely Dio.The man influenced multiple bands and there are tons of material of his that could fill up a pinball soundtrack.

#147 10 years ago

Poison I would assume.

#149 10 years ago

And Extreme. III Sides to Every Story is one of the most criminally underrated albums of all time.

#150 10 years ago
    Quoted from AndHart120:

Queen. Can't believe more people aren't saying this!

I said this in another thread recently (heck, maybe this thread) but a Highlander theme featuring Queen music (and not just the Highlander soundtrack that was 100% queen but a few other queen hits as well that they could squeeze in) would be awesome.

There are 251 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-could-pick-the-next-stern-rock-band-pin-who-would-it-be-why/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.