(Topic ID: 332477)

If you could only have one of these Stern Pro models...

By tiltmonster

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If you could only have one of these Stern Pro models...”

• Foo Fighters 24 votes
    25%
  • Godzilla 43 votes
    44%
  • Iron Maiden 30 votes
    31%

(97 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

240_F_320474176_NbBz6CYTAIYQGZTVFDkuM1Fy0GhpOmPb (resized).jpg
D5046596-5CF9-4921-A42F-529C03F0564A.gif
better (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 1 year ago

Pro Vs Premium is a very serious consideration. You are likely (top of the market) looking at people offering out-of-production Pro's for as much as $8500.00.

Ten thousand gets you current production Premium.

The way the market is going, the value of what you buy will trend towards you looking back ten years from now and saying 'I can't believe I bought that so cheap in 2023!', so long-term, you likely will have a purchase that appreciates in value, no matter what you choose.

So the answer to your question depends upon some serious unknowns.

If you are looking at potential for flipping the pinball in a couple of years for profit, I would lean toward Iron Maiden.

I have a friend who is all about 'scarcity equals value'. If there are a TON of a particular machine made, it won't be as scarce. Foo Fighters - we'll have to see, but I suspect that due to the continuing demand for new product, there will be more Foo Fighters Pro version made than Iron Maiden.

So, if you are looking at profit, and you believe that 'scarcity equals value', you should get Iron Maiden.

If you are looking at 'what can I buy cheapest for the most value', then I might lean toward Foo Fighters. The best time to buy a pinball is when it's in production, dealers have lots of machines, and might cut you a special deal.

If you are looking at what most people would consider the best machine for fun, enjoyment, and potentially 'this is one of the best pinballs ever made in all of history', I'd lean toward Godzilla... with the caveat that Foo Fighters is a complete wild card, and might be the best pinball ever made. Who knows? But I'd lean toward Godzilla as a known quantity.

Back to the Premium/Pro discussion.

Pinball is very personal.

What is the best pinball FOR YOU? Well, it depends on what you like! So play them! Fall in love, and follow your very personal inclination. NO ONE can advise you on what you love.

I personally find that for most recent-production Stern pinballs, the PRO versions cut too deep. In an attempt to reach a price point they subtract and subtract and subtract, until most of the magic is gone.

Godzilla is an exception. My personal experience is that Godzilla PRO, while not as full and rich an experience as the Premium, is a quite fun game in the PRO version. It's a good playing game, and while being a quite different play experience, I find it quite fun.

Iron Maiden? I dunno. Haven't played enough of the Premiums/Pros to give an opinion other than "In general, with later model Stern pinballs you'd be better advised to get a Premium.' Furthermore, there may be one more production run of Premium Iron Maidens made, and that would be a good time to buy... when product is available. I don't think anyone is projecting another production run of Iron Maiden Pros.

Foo Fighters? Who knows? Nobody can advise you AT ALL yet.

Good luck with your purchase, and wherever you buy from, make sure you have a path to getting your machine fixed. It isn't going to be much fun if it's not working.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 210.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 300.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
Armor and blades
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-could-only-have-one-of-these-stern-pro-models?tu=PinRetail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.