(Topic ID: 332477)

If you could only have one of these Stern Pro models...

By tiltmonster

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If you could only have one of these Stern Pro models...”

• Foo Fighters 24 votes
    25%
  • Godzilla 43 votes
    44%
  • Iron Maiden 30 votes
    31%

(97 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

240_F_320474176_NbBz6CYTAIYQGZTVFDkuM1Fy0GhpOmPb (resized).jpg
D5046596-5CF9-4921-A42F-529C03F0564A.gif
better (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Stern has released some great pins lately but focusing on the pro models, I was curious if you could only have of these three pros which one would you choose and why. I understand this may be difficult because Foo Fighters is not out yet but based on the theme and the Dead Flip stream we may have an idea how it will stack up.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Stern has released some great pins lately but focusing on the pro models, I was curious if you could only have of these three pros which one would you choose and why. I understand this may be difficult because Foo Fighters is not out yet but based on the theme and the Dead Flip stream we may have an idea how it will stack up.

For me...Foo Fighters looks awesome but I really really don't like their music. If I did, that would be my choice. Godzilla as a theme for me is pretty weak and I didn't really care for it when I played. Maiden when I played I couldn't fecking hear anything, but Maiden rocks...so that's my choice.

#3 1 year ago

Godzilla maybe foo if premiums were a option, but of the pros iron maiden is really hard to beat.

#4 1 year ago

I'm actually excited I'm buying my first pro model and it's a Foo! I think it's a great game for a pro because it doesn't have mechs regardless so what are missing? Full disclosure I don't like upper playfields and on Foo it would be a shame you're hiding some cool flow stuff under that thing!

#5 1 year ago

I love Godzilla, but the premium is the way to go. While Iron Maiden is an excellent pin, I'd go for the Foo Fighters. I think it took some of the best elements from Deadpool (left ramp), Godzilla (tail whip), and Jurassic Park (right ramp and orbit). I'm not willing to pay an extra $2700 for the upper playfield and death save post. It still has a virtual kickback for the left outlane. I can always play an excellent virtual pinball version of Maiden to get my fill.

#6 1 year ago

I don't do pro's! Thats for the Bar crowd!!

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

This thread isn’t for you then. Thanks for checking in though and letting everyone know you are better than them.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Monk:

and letting everyone know you are better than them.

better (resized).jpgbetter (resized).jpg
#9 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

D5046596-5CF9-4921-A42F-529C03F0564A.gifD5046596-5CF9-4921-A42F-529C03F0564A.gif
#10 1 year ago

Maiden. Not even a question.

#11 1 year ago

Pro Vs Premium is a very serious consideration. You are likely (top of the market) looking at people offering out-of-production Pro's for as much as $8500.00.

Ten thousand gets you current production Premium.

The way the market is going, the value of what you buy will trend towards you looking back ten years from now and saying 'I can't believe I bought that so cheap in 2023!', so long-term, you likely will have a purchase that appreciates in value, no matter what you choose.

So the answer to your question depends upon some serious unknowns.

If you are looking at potential for flipping the pinball in a couple of years for profit, I would lean toward Iron Maiden.

I have a friend who is all about 'scarcity equals value'. If there are a TON of a particular machine made, it won't be as scarce. Foo Fighters - we'll have to see, but I suspect that due to the continuing demand for new product, there will be more Foo Fighters Pro version made than Iron Maiden.

So, if you are looking at profit, and you believe that 'scarcity equals value', you should get Iron Maiden.

If you are looking at 'what can I buy cheapest for the most value', then I might lean toward Foo Fighters. The best time to buy a pinball is when it's in production, dealers have lots of machines, and might cut you a special deal.

If you are looking at what most people would consider the best machine for fun, enjoyment, and potentially 'this is one of the best pinballs ever made in all of history', I'd lean toward Godzilla... with the caveat that Foo Fighters is a complete wild card, and might be the best pinball ever made. Who knows? But I'd lean toward Godzilla as a known quantity.

Back to the Premium/Pro discussion.

Pinball is very personal.

What is the best pinball FOR YOU? Well, it depends on what you like! So play them! Fall in love, and follow your very personal inclination. NO ONE can advise you on what you love.

I personally find that for most recent-production Stern pinballs, the PRO versions cut too deep. In an attempt to reach a price point they subtract and subtract and subtract, until most of the magic is gone.

Godzilla is an exception. My personal experience is that Godzilla PRO, while not as full and rich an experience as the Premium, is a quite fun game in the PRO version. It's a good playing game, and while being a quite different play experience, I find it quite fun.

Iron Maiden? I dunno. Haven't played enough of the Premiums/Pros to give an opinion other than "In general, with later model Stern pinballs you'd be better advised to get a Premium.' Furthermore, there may be one more production run of Premium Iron Maidens made, and that would be a good time to buy... when product is available. I don't think anyone is projecting another production run of Iron Maiden Pros.

Foo Fighters? Who knows? Nobody can advise you AT ALL yet.

Good luck with your purchase, and wherever you buy from, make sure you have a path to getting your machine fixed. It isn't going to be much fun if it's not working.

#12 1 year ago

I’m not sure there is a wrong answer. I’ve have a Maiden and GZ prem. Had a GZ pro and it was great, I’m not sure it was worth the price to upgrade to the premium. You get more with the GZ prem vs pro, i feel like the pro shot better, much easier to hit the building, but the switching of the crossovers as the building lowers in the premium is great part of gameplay

INMD is much closer probably in gameplay, but I really liked the premium art package more than the pro. I don’t think the underworld beneath the ramp makes a huge difference. I do enjoy the sarcophagus lock, but once again, not all that much of a difference in gameplay.

Don’t know yet on FF. Pro seems really close to Prem/LE. I would be willing to bet that Stern makes the deadpost available as a kit, so you are mainly missing the upper playfield. There looks to me a lot of new and innovative shots/paths on FF

Between GZ pro and INMD pro, I enjoyed playing Godzilla a bit more than Maiden. GZ is not a punishing as Maiden so it’s a bit more friendly to guests.

#13 1 year ago

"King of the Monsters" for the win.

240_F_320474176_NbBz6CYTAIYQGZTVFDkuM1Fy0GhpOmPb (resized).jpg240_F_320474176_NbBz6CYTAIYQGZTVFDkuM1Fy0GhpOmPb (resized).jpg
#14 1 year ago

I appreciate all of the feedback. As of now all 3 of these are available for preorder, I know that will change soon depending on how sales go but all 3 look awesome. I'm going to check them out myself if possible (FF aside) but it's hard for me to wrap my head around the NIB prices when all 3 of my pins cost less then 1 pro machine. I have no plans on selling the machine unless I have no choice and my kids are already making claims on them! lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Electronics
GMods

$ 16.00
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 24.50
$ 35.00
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1,700.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Raiden Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.50
€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-could-only-have-one-of-these-stern-pro-models and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.