(Topic ID: 184127)

If you could only have 100 pins in your collection, which ones?

By wallybgood

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by arcademojo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

The most I have had at one time was 75. Trust me on this. It might sound like a nice dream but you don't want that many. Upkeep is a nightmare!

In the past we have typically had between 35 and 45 machines set up to play and another 100 (or more) in storage (machines in storage were project & parts machines) and it has taken the fun out of the hobby. With our recent warehouse fine we decided it was time to sell off most of the collection & project stash and now we are down to around a dozen machines in the collection and pinball has become fun again.

It seems once you exceed about a dozen machines the hobby becomes a job between fixing up projects and repairing stuff that goes wrong. Our "end game" is to have 8 to 12 well maintained machines in the collection and 4 or 5 project machines. I think once you get much beyond 15 machines the hobby actually becomes less fun.

Parts machines are my next thing to attack - at last count I had almost 100 of those sitting around and I know I will not live long enough to deal with all of them so some of those are likely headed to Allentown in a few weeks. I still have not figured out where the "final count" should be on those but I am thinking one storage unit (about 40 machines) seems like the most logical number for now. Once I get down to around 40 I'll see how things go and adjust it from there.

The crazy thing for us is we still need to pick up most of the stuff from the warehouse find so I'll be selling one heck of a lot of machines in 2017. 53 sold and gone so far in 2017 - seven set back for people (we are waiting for those to be picked up) and one headed to a shipping company Tuesday to be crated & shipped to Australia.

Next thing I'll be attacking is the parts stash getting some of those dug out for Allentown.

Anyway - talking for experience - more is not always better!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

Owning too many pins takes it from being a fun hobby to being a job.
    And I already have one of those.

Couldn't agree more! Even selling off a bunch of machines is way more work than most people can even begin to understand. Selling a machine or two is easy but selling a couple dozen machines in a month is insanely hard even if things go good and how often does that ever happen!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-could-only-have-100-pins-in-your-collection-which-ones?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.