image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160708_222427_(resized).jpg
proto_(resized).jpg
freedom_(resized).jpg
melody2_(resized).jpg
Melody_(resized).jpg
untitled_(resized).png
images_(resized).jpg

There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

There's nothing quite like hitting an EM spinner.

I'm also a spinner fan. I had a chance to pick up a pretty nice Grand Prix yesterday, so went for it. It looks like fun, so I can't wait to set it up and get it running.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

..even though the topic is just one em.

The 'multiplayer' aspect does come into play I suppose if someone needed/wanted to have just one. That's what pushes Surf Champ over the top, for me, in my collection of mostly single players. But if I had to keep just one and I were to be judging them all solely on single player 'play'...I would have a real hard time choosing.

6 years later
#203 10 months ago

This is a tough one. I love Fireball and El Dorado, but I also love spinners. Yet drop targets and zipper flippers are so fun.

1. El Dorado
2. Fireball
3. Jacks Open
4. Old Chicago
5. Card Whiz / Royal Flush

#204 10 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

This is a tough one. I love Fireball and El Dorado, but I also love spinners. Yet drop targets and zipper flippers are so fun.
1. El Dorado
2. Fireball
3. Jacks Open
4. Old Chicago

Just one? Gottlieb "Pleasure Isle".

#205 10 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

1. El Dorado
2. Fireball
3. Jacks Open
4. Old Chicago

I prefer target alpha over El dorado, but that's a great choice.

Overall, I would probably pick gottlieb wizard (the rare add-a-ball version of abra-ca-dabra)
Joker poker is pretty great too.

Great question...but tough to answer. I'm glad I don't have to pick just one.

#206 10 months ago

Either Outer Space or Orbit because of the layout

#208 10 months ago

Great topic, my picks changes all the time but seems like
*Centigrade37* makes my weekly top picks more often than not.

#209 10 months ago

I remember this old thread. Was still living in Dallas and had no idea Roanoke even existed.

Back then, my favorites were: #1 Freedom prototype, #2 Old Chicago, #3 2001, #4 Dixieland, #5 Skyrocket.

Today, #1 still stands and Skyrocket has joined the top three: #1 Freedom prototype, #2 Skyrocket, #3 Old Chicago, #4 Pop-A-Card, #5 (probably Astro but need more time on it).

Them wedges are a-creepin' in! But at this point I don't see them overtaking the top three: Bally, Bally, Bally! Actually, Skyrocket is half-Williams since Harry designed it... and I'd say Freedom is too since it was largely Norm Clark's creation.

#210 10 months ago

Currently it would be Ken Head’s wizzard build.

IMG_0646 (resized).jpegIMG_0646 (resized).jpeg
#211 10 months ago

7 years ago I responded and since then I spoke with cash. It is currently my only pinball in collection.

#212 10 months ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

7 years ago I responded and since then I spoke with cash. It is currently my only pinball in collection.

Only takes one.

#213 10 months ago

My response from 7 yrs ago (post#109)
still holds.
Since I no longer have Heat Wave with me anymore
it has got to be Teacher's Pet,
edging out Astro.
which are both with me in the basement.

#214 10 months ago

I'm looking for a heat wave. Tough find here in Canada, anyone selling heat wave?

#215 10 months ago

Hot Tip EM.

#216 10 months ago

Im with the multi-ball crowd, 4MBC for me.

Tastes have also changed from Gottlieb's to Bally's over the last 10 years.

And likely to provide a different answer 10 years from now.

#217 10 months ago
Quoted from BRONX:

I'm looking for a heat wave. Tough find here in Canada, anyone selling heat wave?

You missed one near Pinfest.

#218 10 months ago

@jrpinball. I couldn't make it to pinfest this year
:0(
Was heatwave in good shape ? Price??

#219 10 months ago
Quoted from BRONX:

jrpinball. I couldn't make it to pinfest this year
:0(
Was heatwave in good shape ? Price??

Looked pretty nice and was cheap. It wasn't at the show, but was offered for sale nearby a couple of weeks before, with an offer to deliver it to the show.
It looked like it only needed minor work.

#220 10 months ago

Nostalgia takes over. My Bally Zip-a-doo will be the last one of all my machines to leave. We bought it together and play it together. You cannot discard memories.

#221 10 months ago

C-37

I’ve had it 8 years and still enjoy playing it.

#222 10 months ago

I'm going to say Central Park but I may change my mind, Slick Chick, Cow Poke, Sky Jump, Expressway, Ice Show, Little Joe...

#223 10 months ago

Tough choice, but I've got it narrowed down to Jet Spin or Super Spin.

#224 10 months ago

I'm thinking Atlantis. Chasing that yellow light around is fun and frustrating. If it had a spinner, I would divorce my wife and run away to a desert island with this pin. Only downside is not enough " knocker action" with Atlantis, if you know what I mean. Guess I'll keep my wife after all.

#225 10 months ago

Lucky Hand

#226 10 months ago
Quoted from Budman:

I'm thinking Atlantis.

Six months ago I would have said Abra Ca Dabra without hesitation. But after buying and fixing up Atlantis, I can't stop playing this thing. It really is a "desert island" pin.

Sorry Budman but I disagree on the lack of knocker action. Once you complete the sequence, you've got multiple opportunities for specials (drop targets, stand up target and outlane) - far more than most games. I've had games where I've completed the sequence in 3 balls and won up to 7 or 8 games (including the three on score). Granted, those games are few and far between - but the specials are out there.

#227 10 months ago

Still Lucky Hand / Jacks Open

#228 10 months ago
Quoted from ChipS:

... But after buying and fixing up Atlantis, I can't stop playing this thing. It really is a "desert island" pin.

#229 10 months ago
Quoted from Budman:

I'm thinking Atlantis. Chasing that yellow light around is fun and frustrating. If it had a spinner, I would divorce my wife and run away to a desert island with this pin. Only downside is not enough " knocker action" with Atlantis, if you know what I mean. Guess I'll keep my wife after all.

One collector is stranded on a desert island without enough knocker action. Another collector has discovered that a lucky hand is the antidote to loneliness.

I'll be content alone with my Strange World.

#230 10 months ago
Quoted from ChipS:

Sorry Budman but I disagree on the lack of knocker action.

I don't know Chip... perhaps he was referring to knocker action on the backglass art

As for the original question, I'm going with JO.

#231 10 months ago

I took Budman’s “knocker action” comment differently. Ha ha

#232 10 months ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

I don't know Chip... perhaps he was referring to knocker action on the backglass art

Sorry - I got my "knockers" mixed up!

Atlantis is definitely not a good-looking game - one of Gordon Morison's least attractive backglasses and playfields, IMO. (And Abra Ca Dabra is one of his best.) But the gameplay is AMAZING!

#233 10 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Still Lucky Hand / Jacks Open

Planing on bringing a clean Lucky Hand to NW pin show.

IMG_4221 (resized).jpegIMG_4221 (resized).jpeg
#234 10 months ago
Quoted from Judoratt:

Planing on bringing a clean Lucky Hand to NW pin show.[quoted image]

Nice - thanks for doing this!

Unfortunately, I can't make the show this year, but your LH will be appreciated by many other fans of quality EMs I'm sure!

1 week later
#235 9 months ago

Price may be a touch high but from the pictures looks to be in good condition.

A bit of a hike for me but if it's still listed next week.....hmmm. Always wanted this title.

Hot Tip listed in Chicago area.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/774673327510880?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Abfc9a602-631b-4aa9-98d2-bfc2947fc87a

3 months later
#236 6 months ago

Gemini

g1 (resized).jpgg1 (resized).jpgg2 (resized).jpgg2 (resized).jpg
#237 6 months ago

Gemini looks pretty fun. I’ve never even seen what the playfield looked like before.

2 weeks later
#238 6 months ago

Still El Dorado for me. I love the long shots to the upper drop targets and the 4 flippers with a mostly open playfield. Jacks Open is definitely appealing, but the play is slower and the row of drop targets is essentially a center block in the playfield. The resetting drop targets and card hands are definitely cool, but the pace of play is slower for sure. Fireball is a load of fun with the cool ball locks, zipper flippers, multi-ball, and spinning disc. I love all 3 of these machines, but El Dorado still is the best all around entertainment for me with the most satisfying shots.

#239 6 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Still El Dorado for me. I love the long shots to the upper drop targets and the 4 flippers with a mostly open playfield. Jacks Open is definitely appealing, but the play is slower and the row of drop targets is essentially a center block in the playfield. The resetting drop targets and card hands are definitely cool, but the pace of play is slower for sure. Fireball is a load of fun with the cool ball locks, zipper flippers, multi-ball, and spinning disc. I love all 3 of these machines, but El Dorado still is the best all around entertainment for me with the most satisfying shots.

Lucky Hand is still probably my favorite but Card Whiz is definitely giving it a run for the title in my gameroom lately.

I just missed out on an El Dorado a couple of years ago on eBay. Would love to have one someday.

#240 6 months ago

Sea_Wolf a trifecta of El Dorado, Lucky Hand, and Card Whiz would be loads of fun.

1 week later
#241 5 months ago

Bally Nip It

Image - Copy (7) (resized).jpegImage - Copy (7) (resized).jpeg
#242 5 months ago

It changes all the time for me, but ultimately it's between volley/centigrade37/atlantis. But there's something special about Gottlieb Volley, maybe for me it's because volley tends to be alot less expensive then the other two. For that reason, the best fun per dollar would be Gottlieb Volley. A cheaper game that is just as much fun if not funner than most games

#243 5 months ago

Williams Gulfstream... but maybe..

GTB Quick Draw/Quick Draw

#244 5 months ago

It was Buckaroo but North Star is now a favourite. Getting the centre special lit between the 5 pop bumpers is a blast.

#245 5 months ago
Quoted from Dono:

Williams Gulfstream... but maybe..
GTB Quick Draw/Quick Draw

Darts a 1960 Williams game. I have had this game for over 40 years and NEVER will part with it. Played it new in 1960 for 12 hours straight at the bowling alley. Fond memories of a better time!!!

2 months later
#246 3 months ago

My pinball machines got a lot of play over the Thanksgiving holiday and weekend. Here are a few EM observations I made as people played.

1. Jacks Open got the least amount of play. Everyone said it was hard. People moved on to another machine pretty quickly.
2. El Dorado had the most plays. An 11 year old boy got addicted to it and was trying for a couple of hours to get all 15 drop targets down. Several adults also really liked El Dorado. It's addictive, approachable, and easy to understand.
3. Fireball got a lot of game play and is lots of fun for multiple players. Stealing locked balls and failing to release them before draining adds a lot of fun competition to the machine.

#247 3 months ago

Who won the gift cards Dan? Hopefully you didn't "compete"....not fair

And the thread title is a conundrum in itself.

Pinball.

One machine?

Haha....

#248 3 months ago

Garrett That 11 year old kid won two of the three gift cards. He got a $20 gift card to Chipotle for getting an extra ball on Flash Gordon. He did it the hard way by getting the left drop targets down a bunch of times and then getting the ball in the center kickout saucer. After that he was focused on El Dorado. There he got a $10 gift card for Chickfila. The $15 Subway gift card was unclaimed on High Speed. The 11 year old kid was unable to get on the top 4 scores to enter his initials. The kid said that he liked High Speed the most of of all the machines. Going forward, I'll do this again for other holidays and parties. People really liked trying to win the gift cards. I did a tournament last Christmas and some people were kinda intimidated and bummed about getting eliminated quickly, so winning gift cards by achieving goals in the games seems like a better thing for all the casual player family members.

My son and I were exempt from the gift cards since we were the best players by far.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
850 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 45.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 10.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 45.00
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Midlothian, TX
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-could-only-have-1-em/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.