apollo_pf2_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160708_222427_(resized).jpg
proto_(resized).jpg
freedom_(resized).jpg
melody2_(resized).jpg
Melody_(resized).jpg
There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

odins retreat for misfit pins

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

images_(resized).jpg

that was what made me think of it

#153 8 years ago

And it's pretty spot on. But they are all great games. We think so.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And it's pretty spot on. But they are all great games. We think so.

so did the train with square wheels!

untitled_(resized).pnguntitled_(resized).png

#155 8 years ago

Wouldn't this site be boring if we all collected the same 12 games....

#156 8 years ago

Maintenance would be a breeze, though.

#157 8 years ago

We'd probably be modding the heck out of them too.

#158 8 years ago

Please, this is the em hangout, I don't want to be part of the "Bling-a-Ling" crowd

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

dan if not for this gottlieb collector it would of never made it to odins retreat for misfit pins

My sarcasm was aiming at you and others staying in Gottlieb land while Odin and I venture into Bally and Williams territories.

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Wouldn't this site be boring if we all collected the same 12 games....

You mean the same 24 Gottlieb games? (Just ribbing you guys)

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

My sarcasm was aiming at you and others staying in Gottlieb land while Odin and I venture into Bally and Williams territories.

I knew you were joking, I know that the gottlieb crowd can be snobbish when it comes to Williams/bally but I am not one of them
I enjoy all games but decided that the wedgeheads were the sweet spot from the art/game play angle. if I had more room I would have a few of the others. but with limited space choices have to be made.

#162 8 years ago

1. El Dorado
2. Jack in the Box
3. Space Orbit
4. Spanish Eyes

#163 8 years ago

Heat Wave

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I know I'm biased and I only have four machines in my collection, but I always come back to my Bank Shot.

I have a Sure Shot which is pretty much the same game - I agree it's a game the gets you playing again and again.
I like it and my Ship Ahoy - two nice Wedge games !

#165 8 years ago

Pretty cool that perhaps a majority of the games listed here, I own: Surfer/Surf Champ, Royal Flush/Card Whiz, 300/Top Score, Slick Chick, Jacks Open, Jumping Jack/Jack In The Box, Fast Draw/Quick Draw, Wizard, Domino, Sky Jump, Big Shot, Abra Cadabra, 4MBC, Wizard, etc.

Out of all the games I have, the machine that I might have if I could only have one would probably be a toss up between 4MBC and Card Whiz/Royal Flush. 4MBC is an engineering and artwork masterpiece. Royal Flush is, IMO, the "perfect" pinball machine.

In our club, no EM gets more play than Card Whiz/Royal Flush. It has a very simple ruleset that's easy to grasp, yet extremely difficult to master. It has the perfect balance between requiring great shots and nudging skills, and punishment if you make a mistake.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Impossible question for me, but it would be a early 60's wedgehead certainly. How do you choose one from Slick Chick, Majorettes, Squarehead, GiGi, North Star, & Kings & Queens !!

Easy.

Gigi

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

I always thought Capersville would be cool to have.

i own a really nice one, it doesn't look much to play but i'd have it over fireball any day

#168 8 years ago

Fireball for me

#169 8 years ago

Fire Queen

sorry never mind i have that one.

2 months later
#170 7 years ago

Royal Guard. Love mine.

#171 7 years ago

Already made this decision, as I (mostly...I can't turn down a good deal) refuse to own more than 1 EM at a time when I can only have 4 games. Crescendo. Bought it for my wife and it really grew on me fast. It's so brutal. It's not deep on features, it's not "nice", or complicated, it's just a pure game of pinball, and one of the few times you'll ever see a bank of drop targets that is not lined up side to side. If you can manage to drop the full bank once on one ball, that's pretty good. If you can do it twice, I'll shake your hand. Three times, I might just grovel at your feet and ask for lessons.

The fact that someone had the balls to put 2 inch flippers on this thing, with no active slings, and 2 pops right near the flippers and outlanes, and then the shots to get back up top are WAY off to the side making them very difficult is genius. Nothing is safe. Good luck trying to shoot back up top through those drops, too.

Always figured I'd be sitting on a game like Atlantis or Kings and Queens....something with a bit more to it, but really....it's just a fast, fun game that's black and white, no BS, and sitting next to three DMDs, it's a perfect fit for me.

2 months later
#172 7 years ago

I could pare it down to two. 4MBC and Gigi. Coin toss after that and I'd be hurt either way!

#173 7 years ago

Mars Trek.

Gee that was easy.

-mof

#174 7 years ago

I was lucky enough to get a Melody a while ago, and have been playing it non stop since.
I would have to say this is now my #1.

Seriously though.......how can you really just pick one?

Melody_(resized).jpgMelody_(resized).jpg
melody2_(resized).jpgmelody2_(resized).jpg

#175 7 years ago

Since it was restored, Freedom prototype is still holding strong as my #1 EM (not just in my collection, but anywhere). Blazing fast, exciting, unpredictable, looks great, and has a huge figure-eight arc of shots due to the wide flipper spread. It's currently "on tour"... after TPF was featured at Let's Play Gaming Expo in Plano and will soon be at the Fort Worth Museum of Science July 22nd-23rd.

freedom_(resized).jpgfreedom_(resized).jpg

proto_(resized).jpgproto_(resized).jpg

#2 Old Chicago, #3 2001, #4 Dixieland, #5 Skyrocket. After that it keeps changing up... better stop there.

#176 7 years ago

Big Shot.

#177 7 years ago

It seems the last one in is always my favorite. So it would be nearly impossible to choose.

My most recent and playable game is Majorettes. Playing the heck out of it right now and really enjoying it. Before that Hot Line. I don't think I could ever get sick of that one. Before that Teacher's Pet. Also a blast. Dancing Dolls is in the project stage and could be my next favorite. Until the next one...

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Since it was restored, Freedom prototype is still holding strong as my #1 EM (not just in my collection, but anywhere). Blazing fast, exciting, unpredictable, looks great, and has a huge figure-eight arc of shots due to the wide flipper spread. It's currently "on tour"... after TPF was featured at Let's Play Gaming Expo in Plano and will soon be at the Fort Worth Museum of Science July 22nd-23rd.

#2 Old Chicago, #3 2001, #4 Dixieland, #5 Skyrocket. After that it keeps changing up... better stop there.

Nice!
I have a regular Freedom EM and it continues to be a favorite in our household.

I would love to play one like yours sometime!

#179 7 years ago

Another way of asking the question, for me anyway, is if you could have a NIB EM, any game, any era, what would it be?

And as a game to keep so value irrelevant.

That would be an real tough choice!

#180 7 years ago

Since I started this thread I've picked up a Williams winner. Not your typical EM pin choice but my daughter loves the horses.. And I actually like it too. Might need another EM in the future.

#181 7 years ago

I think if I could only have 1 EM (my desert island pin) I would have to go with Williams 4 Roses.

Why, pray... you may ask??

You know, typically... on any title, I feel after I play the game for awhile, get a feel for the game, I can become better and better as I play it more. But 4 Roses is a game that just seems to defy this, no matter 'how' much I play it. I mean, sure... I have gotten better at it but not as good as I feel I 'should' be, after playing as many games as I have done. And I can win games on specials and points here and there but it's very, very hard to have a 'breakout game'. That is, a game where you can really rack up the replays on any single 5 ball game. But 'because' it is so hard to do this, I find myself playing it all the time, trying to do this very thing.

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

I think if I could only have 1 EM (my desert island pin) I would have to go with Williams 4 Roses.
Why, pray... you may ask??
You know, typically... on any title, I feel after I play the game for awhile, get a feel for the game, I can become better and better as I play it more. But 4 Roses is a game that just seems to defy this, no matter 'how' much I play it. I mean, sure... I have gotten better at it but not as good as I feel I 'should' be, after playing as many games as I have done. And I can win games on specials and points here and there but it's very, very hard to have a 'breakout game'. That is, a game where you can really rack up the replays on any single 5 ball game. But 'because' it is so hard to do this, I find myself playing it all the time, trying to do this very thing.

Gottlieb Central is another game it takes forever to have a breakout game.

#183 7 years ago

I would go with Joker Poker or Fire Queen.... yes,I do have Fire Queen.

#184 7 years ago

Royal Flush, which I would love to buy if anyone will sell.
After reading this thread, I'm gonna go out right now and play Grand Prix and Freedom EM, cause they are both available to play here in Boise.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Gottlieb Central is another game it takes forever to have a breakout game.

I hear ya, Vic!

Central Park is a game that I have 'never' had a breakout game. In fact, BREAKOUT GAME?? I'm lucky if I can win 'any' games on this particular title. All that machine ever does, is kick my ass on a regular basis. But I am going to remedy that, when it goes up again in rotation... I 'will' become a better Central Park player, I don't care 'how' long it takes!! At least with 4 Roses... I 'have' had a breakout game, just not very many... hate to say it.

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

After reading this thread, I'm gonna go out right now and play Grand Prix and Freedom EM, cause they are both available to play here in Boise.

...and if it has a middle-pop, take pics! And then immediately text me the number of the business where you saw it so I can call STI for pickup. :p

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

At least with 4 Roses... I 'have' had a breakout game, just not very many... hate to say it.

4 Roses... tough ol' girl. Promises you the moon, gives you the drain. But you'll be back again before long.

Best score I've managed is around 1350. Ever rolled it? *gasp*

#188 7 years ago

Nip It gotta feed that Bally Gator!

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

4 Roses... tough ol' girl. Promises you the moon, gives you the drain. But you'll be back again before long.
Best score I've managed is around 1350. Ever rolled it? *gasp*

I have not.

Got ridiculously close one time, so close I remember thinking... REALLY??

Like nineteen hundred and eighty some points.

Got in that ball park 'one' other time... but not quite as close.

I need to get a chalkboard to record high scores and high number of specials collected.

#190 7 years ago

I'm still pretty young, so I didn't really grow up with EMs. I have owned a few and played a bunch. My favorite is Gottlieb's World Series. It is too hard for me to separate art/theme from game play. If I don't like the art, the gameplay doesn't seem to matter much. I am also pretty partial to Old Chicago. Those are the only two keepers in my collection right now.

#191 7 years ago

Pinball inspired adventure last night after reading this thread.
There's nothing quite like hitting an EM spinner.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#192 7 years ago

Was Freedom set to 3-ball or 5-ball?

In 3-ball mode, if you light the spinners, they are worth 1000 per spin. Rat-a-tat-a-tat-tat-tat and you're up 15,000.

So satisfying.

#193 7 years ago

In my opinion, Freedom is a grossly underrated game.

Nailing those spinners when lit is oh so satisfying!

#194 7 years ago

Freedom was set to 3-ball

#195 7 years ago

Jumping Jack. Jacks open is a better game rule set wise, but gotta have a 2 player. And I love the pops at the bottom.

#196 7 years ago

Williams Klondike. After restoring one and playing the snot out of it still not bored.Unpredictable is the key word.I don't think you could ever master this thing.

#197 7 years ago

I love my Williams Apollo! Countdown to launch and backglass bagatelle.

apollo_pf2_(resized).jpgapollo_pf2_(resized).jpg

apollo_pf2_(resized).jpgapollo_pf2_(resized).jpg

#198 7 years ago

You know I've always said Surf Champ...but now Snow Derby is giving it a run for it's money. Definitely a sleeper title. So, Shhhh!

#199 7 years ago

+1 for Surfer / Surf Champ

#200 7 years ago

Quite surprised to see people getting it down to 4 or less even though the topic is just one em. I can't even see this as a option to many good em's yes i don't currently have one but i have a list going of machines to look for and its around 10 to 12 machines at this point but continuing to look and see if more need to be added to the list.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-could-only-have-1-em/page/4?hl=rattmuscle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.