(Topic ID: 216190)

If you can only get one...TZ, TAF or Tron(Pro)

By sethi_i

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mark66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Same price and same condition...which one?”

• TAF 39 votes
    18%
  • TZ 111 votes
    53%
  • Tron(Pro) 61 votes
    29%

(211 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball-room-wide (resized).jpg
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Assuming all of these were available at the same time, same price, and same condition. Which would you pick and why?

#2 5 years ago

They are different types of games

#3 5 years ago

Twilight Zone for me. More bang for the buck. I’ve played TAF several different times and it’s never really resonated with me. It could be that I need to spend more time on it but right now that’s what I would choose. I’ve never played a Tron so cant comment on that.

#4 5 years ago

TZ for a deeper game TAF for theme (and a great game) Tron is plain in comparison to those two.

#5 5 years ago

Tron is the prettiest game IMO. TZ and TAF have a bit more to the gameplay. All are awesome.

#6 5 years ago

TZ and TAF are both excellent games. Haven't played TRON, but I can definitely tell you as an owner of both TZ and TAF that you won't be disappointed with either. Riffbear has a good point about playability vs. theme. TAF has a wonderful theme (one of the reasons I like the pin so much is because of how much I enjoy the movie it's based on). As for TZ, you can literally pour hours and hours of play into it and it just doesn't get boring (although servicing it is a nightmare).

#7 5 years ago

Pretty hard to go wrong there, those are all great games.

#9 5 years ago

As someone that moves games quite often, taf and tz were both expected to be keepers. Problem is they get boring. Both are gone. Tron at first I didn't get but now that I do I absolutely love it. That and met are my games.

Old school will tell you TAF and TZ. Get Tron and love it.

#10 5 years ago

Pinball in our house is a very interactive thing.
In that I mean that whenever family or friends come over thats pretty much what we do until the wee hours of the morning.
For that reason I would go with TAF, simply because its a big crowd pleaser with guest (and its a lot of fun).
It the one machine that a lot of non pinball people recognize and remember playing on location (at least from my experience).
Other than that these are all good machines.

#11 5 years ago

I have no TZ or TAF. But, I do have this.

pinball-room-wide (resized).jpgpinball-room-wide (resized).jpg

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Slim2013:

Exactly! That's the reason I asked for the "why" part. TAF is great for everybody...not too hard for friends and fam, but enough meat to keep a pinhead interested. TZ is complicated and packed with shots. Tron is fast with the modern look and feel of later games.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

I have no TZ or TAF. But, I do have this.

Doesn't really help me much, but it is impressive!!

#14 5 years ago

Played them all and they are all good but for me, TZ and TAF are better games than TRON. TZ would be my choice and was actually -- I now own it.

You asked why? -- You answered it yourself -- TZ is complex and packed with great shots! More so than the others in my opinion although TAF is pretty good as well. They are both Lawlor games and I'm a fan of Pat's designs. TZ had many things that were a first in pinball as well.

Or -- you could just get a brand new Iron Maiden!!

Have fun deciding

#15 5 years ago

I know I’m in the minority, but Tron just wasn’t for me. I owned one and it just didn’t click with me. Wife didn’t like it either, we put a lot of games on it. Nothing beats the older classic Bally-Williams pins, definitely are more valuable as well.

#16 5 years ago

I own all three. I voted TZ because it offers so many different modes. If you want to complete the game it is challenging. It will last a long time in a home collection and there isn't an obvious comparable game. If you want to chase scores then I'd pick Tron. High velocity and fun. However, I'd argue that there are more games that give you a similar experience. For example, X-Men is the same play field but mirrored. TAF is also great too. I enjoy it but but not much as the other two

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Tonic67:

Or -- you could just get a brand new Iron Maiden!!

Even though that is my era, and I gotta give props to an old fencer like myself, I was never a huge Dickinson or IMDN fan. I'll pick that up when the playfield is reused on another theme!

#18 5 years ago

tough choice...I have all 3 (TronLE)...guess it depends on what you're looking for......brutality= Tron, pure fun= TAF, shotmaker w fun gizmos= TZ

I voted TZ, as at the moment, I've been playing it alot...but wouldn't part with the other 2, either.....

#19 5 years ago

Tron is not as deep but it's more fun to play.

#20 5 years ago

TZ for me. Theme, gameplay and depth make it s keeper for me. TAF I love, faster,more frenetic game, and TRON is a level even up from there, faster, etc. I don’t get Tron in terms of longvity. Looks amazing, ramps are awesome but it didn’t resonate with me the way TZ and TAF does, seemed like the same shots over and over again. TZ has WAY more shots than the other two - but it’s more stop and go. So if you like strategy and precision, TZ. If you like ultimate flow, Tron. If you like a good game with a little of both, TAF

#21 5 years ago

TZr and TAFr! Anyone else? Come on Chicago Gaming - BUILD THEM!

#22 5 years ago

Never cared for TZ or TAF even when they were taking up space at the local arcades in the early 90s. Both pretty boring.

Had a TronLE for a while and it was fast and fun, but like with any licensed theme, the novelty can wear off after a while.

So my advice is it's your money, do what you like and don't take too much heed in any advice you get here.

#23 5 years ago

Don't buy Tron..... You can't handle it.

It will kick you in the behind.... And then spit on you as you lay there in a big ball of tears.

#24 5 years ago

I vote 1Twilight zone, 2 Tron, 3 addams family all three are great games.

#25 5 years ago

tough choice for me between tron and Taf, but i play taf more, taf it is!

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

It will kick you in the behind.... And then spit on you as you lay there in a big ball of tears.

A true statement!!!!!...easily the most aggressive of the 3...

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So my advice is it's your money, do what you like and don't take too much heed in any advice you get here.

But wait....you're giving advice....

Agreed, buy the one you enjoy best.....mine was simply an opinion.....and we know what they say about those....

#28 5 years ago

1. TRON - fast and furious, keeps you wanting more
2. TAF - great game, good flow, humor, not too deep
3. TZ - too much stop and go

#29 5 years ago

I've had TZ a long time. Tried and tried to like Addams Family. Actually had a playfield and plastics shelved for years while I looked for a project game but eventually sold them when i realized that no matter how many times i played it, i didnt care for it much.

That being said, I've liked Tron anytime I've had the chance to play it. I'd probably get that.

But my TZ isn't going anywhere in the meantime

#30 5 years ago

Every time I think I'm going to sell my TZ something else goes. DI is already gone.

#31 5 years ago

Sold TZ and don't miss it. Still have Tron. After playing IMDN I'd pass on all of these and buy Maiden. Best new pin I've played in a long time.

#32 5 years ago

Have had all three, still have TZ and Tron, and would like to have all three. Can't go wrong with any of them, but they are all different games. Tron, of course, is must more different than the other two, TZ is a wide body with a built sheet like nothing else, and touring the mansion or watch Thing's hand never gets old.

#33 5 years ago

I don't get Tron. It seems to have all the right ingrediants but gameplay isn't there for me. Maybe I need to know the rules better. TZ and TAF are prime examples of what was great about 90 B/W pins. Awesome games to look at, great themes, attention to details, and just fun to play. TAF is great but TZ is my absolute favorite. Bought one earlier this year and have really enjoyed owning it. Gameplay never gets old for me. There is a lot of stop and but game is just packed with features. I get plenty of speed/flow from my other games.

#34 5 years ago

I have owned all three, Tron stays, the others are gone it is my fav. IMO Tron is the most easy to understand, hard to master. A real well balanced game where you can achieve a mini wiz mode, but good luck running the table. TAF is fun but predictable, TZ same, both great, but definitely built for an operator, and you can tell. There is a reason TAF remains on playmeters top 10 still.
I keep reading that many dont know Tron or the rules, and that makes me sad, I hope you guys get time to experience the light bulb going off with Tron, once you get it you will love it.. .If you are buying these for the home you cant miss, but Tron sprints away from the other two for a players machine...

#35 5 years ago

Can you please just buy the Tron in your backyard so I'm not tempted anymore haha.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/61368

#36 5 years ago

So, in the past I’ve owned a Tron LE and a Tron Pro and I currently have a nearly perfect TZ in the collection I am loving. Tron has the best light show and music of the three, while TZ has the most to do, most shots and most ball interaction.

TAF wins this poll for me though, though it is super close. The theme integration and call outs are the best ever in Pinball. The code is superb. The modes are great. The layout is awesome.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

As someone that moves games quite often, taf and tz were both expected to be keepers. Problem is they get boring. Both are gone. Tron at first I didn't get but now that I do I absolutely love it. That and met are my games.
Old school will tell you TAF and TZ. Get Tron and love it.

My Tron, Met, and Taf are bolted to the floor. I really want to like to TZ, but just can't get into it.

#38 5 years ago

My pick is TZ. I like deeper games. I own TAF and I love it. TRON is a beautiful game but I can't get into it like everyone else. I'll get a TZ one day. There is just something about it that really draws me in, maybe because the theme is great for pinball?

#39 5 years ago

TZ, the others are very good pins. However, TZ is amazing, it would outlast both of the pins.

#40 5 years ago

I can't say I'm surprised that TZ is leading, but I'm a little surprised by how much it's ahead.

#41 5 years ago

I currently own a Tron Pro and TAF, and my best friend owned a TZ for years - so I've got a lot of time on all three of these. They're all great games and iconic themes, so you really can't go wrong here. My thoughts are pretty similar to what others have said:

TAF
Get it if: you want a crowd-pleaser with good humor, middle-of-the road flow/speed, an easy-to-grasp rule set, and a game that's just plain fun.
Pass on it if: you want a game with a lot of depth that will take you a long time to see everything it has to offer.

TZ
Get it if: you want a game that's really deep and has a lot of shots/strategies, or if you like widebody pins.
Pass on it if: you don't like stop-and-go games, and would prefer a game that plays fast.

Tron
Get it if: you want a game that's fast, has great flow, awesome music/lights, is an adrenaline rush, and is easy to learn but difficult to master.
Pass on it if: you're looking for a game with humor, a lot of depth, and interactive toys.

I love all three of these, but for me, it would be a tossup between TAF and Tron. I love me some TZ, but it's just a little too on the slow side for me.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

and would prefer a game that plays fast.

I disagree on this comment with TZ. TZ does not have long ball times, compared to my modern Sterns anyway. Just open up the outlines and TZ is an absolute short ball time drain monster.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Slim2013:

well.....2 of them are kind of the same game. TAF and TZ are very close in feel and gameplay. Just different toys. both are great and both are top contenders.

#44 5 years ago

TZ for me - unique combination of different characteristics - timeless/classic well integrated theme; combo of tight and easy shots; mini upper playfield with magnetic flippers; powerball; 4 flippers w/1 being mini; widebody that takes good advantage of the extra space; cool well integrated art; magnets.

However everyone gets into/does not get into a pin for various reasons - and if ya love flow - not gonna love TZ.

#45 5 years ago

couldn't sell tron fast enough, hated that game, never understood the love for it.

#46 5 years ago

Twilight zone is to good to abrevate the other 2 suck. If you want a super fast and easy to understand pin I would recommend fish tales.

#47 5 years ago

You really need to play them. I tried to love TZ...just couldn't. Tron would be my pick (I love fast and furious pinball) but TAF is a good one also (just VERY different from Tron).

TZ and WOZ reminded me a lot of each other and I just can't get into either one. Just too slow and "clunky" IMHO.

#48 5 years ago

Easy choice for me on this one. Tron pro for sure. Love the theme and music. Big inserts, great lighting.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You really need to play them. I tried to love TZ...just couldn't. Tron would be my pick (I love fast and furious pinball) but TAF is a good one also (just VERY different from Tron).
TZ and WOZ reminded me a lot of each other and I just can't get into either one. Just too slow and "clunky" IMHO.

I’m in the same stage with TZ. Had it for 3 months and still trying to figure it out. The past few days, it’s been starting to click for me a lot better. I felt same way about Whirlwind a few years back. It didn’t stay long. But then I picked up a HUO WW and second go around I am really enjoying it. I actually like that the TZ has been a challenge to learn and to play, with hopes when I bought it that it would give long term satisfaction. I’ve had other games that were too simple/easy and they didn’t stay long.

Which game to get? I think it depends on numerous factors: what other games do you have? Where are you in your playing skills? What stage of the hobby are you in? I don’t think anyone can tell you for sure which one is best for you right now. Those are all games that will hold their value so get the one you want most knowing you can always sell and get a different one later with ease.

#50 5 years ago

Why are you asking this question? Only you will know which one is right for you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-can-only-get-onetz-taf-or-tronpro/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.