(Topic ID: 258722)

If there was a cult classic pinball, what would it be?

By MJR8peanut

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8eabe3ab40c43c454de173bb8a7e55c282b97551 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I was thinking what games aren’t that good but everyone loves it anyway?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from MJR8peanut:

Bride of Pinbot maybe? It's for not good, but people love it.

#4 4 years ago

Centaur

#5 4 years ago

Bad Girls

8eabe3ab40c43c454de173bb8a7e55c282b97551 (resized).jpg8eabe3ab40c43c454de173bb8a7e55c282b97551 (resized).jpg
    #6 4 years ago

Maybe something like rescue 911, the game sucks but I kind of love the janky sound and display, and the helicopter! I would never want one in my collection but if I see it in the wild I'll give it a couple of plays.

#7 4 years ago

Wizard. Of. Oz.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from MJR8peanut:

I think I view the term cult classic a bit differently. I would say that term means a good playing game but for whatever reason has a small but rabid fan base. Games like Genesis, Sorcerer or Centaur would be good examples of games that are cult classic.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Wizard. Of. Oz.

Haha that's more of a cult, than cult classic. But tomayto tomahto I guess.

#10 4 years ago

South Park

#12 4 years ago

Maybe Tron? I wouldn't say its unpopular or shitty but it has a very cult like devoted fanbase. That and non pinball people tend to dislike it.

#13 4 years ago

Rollergames

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think I view the term cult classic a bit differently. I would say that term means a good playing game but for whatever reason has a small but rabid fan base. Games like Genesis, Sorcerer or Centaur would be good examples of games that are cult classic.

Baywatch!

#15 4 years ago

Taxi? I love it, most of my pinbros are meh about it.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

Maybe Tron? I wouldn't say its unpopular or shitty but it has a very cult like devoted fanbase. That and non pinball people tend to dislike it.

I don’t know...Tron is pretty popular and well regarded. The game with the inverted play field to Tron may be the better example. It’s pretty divisive among collectors for various reasons but it’s fanbase is rabid: X-Men.

It had arguably the worst launch of any cornerstone game in Stern’s history with faulty boards that all had to be replaced and the game shipped with demonstration code that owners had to keep for nearly six months (the two main multiballs worked and that was about it). Then, shockingly, Stern actually released a code update that made the game almost unplayable. The dmd would fall 15 seconds behind the game play. It was nuts. A cursed release that scared the game’s legacy pretty horribly.

#17 4 years ago

It's not a bad game, but the most cult like game is Sward of Fury. There is a thread with #8680 posts dedicated to one of it's callouts. LIONMAN!!! is also mentioned in at least two other machines.

#18 4 years ago

i feel like comet is one of these games

#19 4 years ago

TNA? People either love it or don’t get it.

#20 4 years ago

Cult movie themes... Elvira's stuff and CFTBL is based on a cult movie..

#21 4 years ago

In my area, Gottlieb Melody and Bally Harlem Globetrotters have a strong following.

#22 4 years ago

100% BBB. That game is NOT as good as it’s reputation would convey, but it’s scarcity Has dictated the legacy

Congo and bay watch seem like they would also fit into the cult classic category, although more as overlooked gems than just cult classics

#23 4 years ago

Rock rock rockin Rollergames

#24 4 years ago

Black Knight. Unless you’re into pinball, it’s just another game. If you’re into pinball, you’ve at one time owned at least one of the 3.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

It's not a bad game, but the most cult like game is Sward of Fury. There is a thread with #8680 posts dedicated to one of it's callouts. LIONMAN!!! is also mentioned in at least two other machines.

I’m surprised it took 17 posts for someone to say LIONMAN!!! I even have the pin AVENGE AGAIN!
    Swords of Fury is awesome. Lol

My personal cult favorite pin is one that I often feel like the personal Hypebeast. Orbitor 1 is pretty damn divisive and I really love it. I think it’s the most innovative idea in pinball and most folks will tell you it was the worst idea that contributed to Stern Electronics going under.

Pretty much all Classic Stern’s are cult pins.
    Quicksilver being the unstoppable monster.

#26 4 years ago

Fireball still has a strong cult-like following, in my case the Fireball Classic is included.
    Bally Eight Ball use to be "The Machine" you wanted to be seen playing.
    Seems The Shadow has developed into a fringe Cult Classic.
    No bigger current fanatic follower offering than The Big Lebowski. Rick and Morty notwithstanding.
    Don't understand it but Captain Fantastic pulls fanaticism from many. So does King of Diamonds.
    Big Bang Bar is a Legend that inspires Cultism if there were only more machines in the Wild.
    Finally Whitewater has its frothing at the mouth fans forever touting its merits. TOTAN Freaks has subsided somewhat, again due to relatively few examples available.

#27 4 years ago

Grand Lizard gets my vote.

Most people have never seen one.
    Fewer people own them.
    Almost no on ever sells one.

#28 4 years ago

i think stern stars is one too. not a great game but everybody wants one

#29 4 years ago

Frontier.

#30 4 years ago

I was actually thinking about it again last night and in a way there is almost a cult following around those top-5 games. Don't get me wrong, they are great, but the longer I'm in the hobby the more I think there is very little difference between those "top" games and the "bottom" games. I have Attack From Mars and Hardbody sitting next to each other in a lineup. There are many days I'd rather play Hardbody.

#31 4 years ago

Using the definition of cult as "fun game that is not widely appreciated" I'd have to put Raven into that category. The art is not good (if you could even call the backglass photo "art") but I really like playing it. Hitting the pop-up snipers and making the helicopter blades rotate does it for me.

Like Baywatch too. Fun gameplay, little shark flipper and great cabinet art.

#32 4 years ago

Swords of Fury was the first game I thought of.

#33 4 years ago

Fireball, Captain Fantastic, Paragon.

One of my favorite games is Stars, I have no idea why myself or anyone else likes it so much.

I can't stand Shadow, but many people love it.

#34 4 years ago

No question!!!

#35 4 years ago

After reading the opening post I thought of 2 games. Bally Kiss and Playboy.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-there-was-a-cult-classic-pinball-what-would-it-be?hl=pinostalgia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.