(Topic ID: 189586)

If the programmers were better then this hobby will explode!

By Radrog

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jwilson
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    this-guy...i-love-this-guy-drunk-baby-meme (resized).jpg
    IMG_6659 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 6 years ago

As a Software Engineer working on console gaming I had to give you an up vote Let the downvoting continue..

Added over 7 years ago: Disregard everything else in this thread by me.

#52 6 years ago

I would love the chance to program a pin with a modern software engineering process and maybe some hardware. The disruption that would take place would change the industry.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

AHAHAHAHAHahahahahah ha ha hah ... no.

Not sure why you are laughing. Will programming change the industry, no it wouldn't, it's not going to create new customers. What it will do is make current customers play longer and more often. Just by the doing a very basic user customization and online experience would blow most pinballers minds. Even the most basic friends leaderboard would be like witchcraft to some of the guys on here.

#60 6 years ago

The original OP clearly has a layman perspective. New features are a slow build they will grow the industry but it's not instantaneous. People are not going to suddenly go buy a pin. What it will do is make your current users view the next pin as a must have. It will make them open their wallets. It will slowly create new customers but it's not an explosion. It would blow the minds of your current user base and create a lot of excitement. Also it's not programmers by themselves that can make it happen. It cost money and Stern does not seem anywhere near understanding the ROI on improving their software engineering process.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Don't just talk about it - action speaks louder than words!

First issue is I have a non-compete agreement, that my employer is not likely to waive.

The real issue is programming one hobby pin is not going to do anything. A company like Stern needs to want to get with the times. Every pin they sell should be have the standard online functionality. Global, regional and friend leaderboards. Every time anyone you knows beats your score, gets wizard mode or any of a thousand other achievements you get notified. Every time you turn on that pin a new challenge should be waiting for you. Scheduled events and tournaments should drop on a regular schedule. And guess what when a new pin comes out people will buy it and you you wont be able to take part in all the cool new events until you buy one. Online modes would be so easy on a pin, simple things like time attacks, first to get to X points. Since pins are not deterministic you don't even need to be in sync. You could upload and download plays with your friends. To be able to see that your friend went with this mode first then that mode while you play, to compare strategy. All of this is very basic functionality. Also all of this can be monetized and all of it would grow the industry.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I don't disagree with what you are saying but each machines plays differently...so it's never apples to apples. Does one machine have open outlines? Where is the tilt set? How is the pitch on the machine? Is one machine freshly waxed vs a dirty game? All these physical differences make a huge impact on any event and mean the playing field won't be level.

There is always cheating, that doesn't mean you do nothing. No one is saying everyone will play, if you don't trust your friends or don't want to play online then don't. The functionality should be standard. Sure you can slide the glass out and press the switches but that kind defeats the whole point of doing it. Every gaming company faces cheating and hacking, the best defense is to make things fun and exciting. Every pin should have a mic and online chat as well you can figure out the losers pretty quick.

P.S. I would target the home market with this kind of functionality. I wouldn't do much beyond basic leaderboards and tournaments for paying customers on location.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

All good points. I'd throw procedural rule generation in there as well.
    But why can't a JJP game with a full PC inside do this sort of thing now? It's not the hardware, it's the software. And it's not the fault of the programmers, but their bosses who don't hire enough of them. It's easier to build a pinball machine than to program it.
    Modern video games are made by small armies backed by billion-dollar companies. Pinball companies are an ant next to an elephant in comparison. It's like asking why a blacksmith with a hammer can't compete with Toyota.

I'm with you except for the scale. A pin is very simple compared to a modern AAA video game and this type of functionality is trivial. It does not take an army to add base level online functionality. It would not take a huge investment nor a great deal of time. This is the kind of shit you throw to a co-op and they do it for free.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Those are illegal now. Also, even if it was legal, it would apply only to the same industry you're in now, so unless you're working for a pinball company I don't see the conflict. Anyway...

Again an armchair quarterback steps in and says "oh that would be so easy" without considering the complexities of maintaining the infrastructure to support online functionality. We're not talking about some pizza-box server sitting in someone's closet here, there are all kinds of issues you need to deal with, like load, concurrency, and especially security. Then there's the day-to-day stuff like maintenance, administration, customer support - none of this shit is free you know. You don't just bang out an app, put it in the app store and walk away.
    Anyway, I disagree with your assertion that this is easier than a AAA game because these days with HD video and sound to support, you have all the complexity of a video game, but instead of a four-button controller to worry about, you have a 350lb hard case filled with expensive electronics, coils and switches, with a steel ball controller that likes to randomly hit stuff, and doing QA on it isn't as simple as just hitting buttons in the same order over and over. It's a giant physical machine, and instead of selling 60 million copies of it, you might sell a few thousand so you need to budget your development staff appropriately.
    Pinball is hard, and your dismissive hand-waving implying otherwise is a slap in the face to every pinball game dev's amazing hard work.

I am fully aware that my company will hand me walking papers if I was to work on anything even close to gaming related and it would be completely justified. They pay me and pay me well and they will not pay while I work on software for anyone else. As far as I am aware it is completely legal, I have a signed NDA. They are a billion dollar corporation sorry if I pass on trying to win a legal battle with them, when they treat me fucking awesome.

You can call it dismissive hand waving if you want, but its just reality. A pinball machine is not anywhere near the level of complexity or difficulty, I work in the elite level of console gaming, pinball is not the same league, its not the same sport, it does not compare. I am sure the Devs work hard, I am also sure it's all about budget and time and what Stern is willing to pay. Your still talking HD video, talk to me when you're in the 500 million pixels a second range. How many switch do you think trigger a second on a pin, maybe 20 in the pops?

#90 6 years ago

Ha ha, this is why you should never talk to people on the internet. I can't have a conversation when you refuse to be rational. A pin is about the complexity of of an air cooled VW and a modern AAA console game is a Bugatti Veyron. That's as simple as I can make it. I love pinball I think its amazing and incredible fun. I prefer it to modern gaming, maybe because when you work on something all day its not as fun. Clearly you don't know understand or know much about modern gaming.

#92 6 years ago

First I never said anything negative about programmers. I said it's up to a company making the investment. Who exactly have I insulted? If anyone that develops pinball is insulted I would be happy to speak with them. I am sure anyone that understand software engineering will completely agree with me. This is a very public forum and I'm not real keen on posting my personal information. I can assure you I can walk the walk. If you want to take this to a private message I will happily share the things I have worked on. I never said I was the savior to pinball, I said pinball is behind the times as far as programming. Why do you guys think its not possible that another person might be capable of programming a pinball machine?

P.S. I also said I would like to apply a modern software engineering process. The process covers everything, its not one guy pounding out code. Its the entire process involved from gathering requirements all the way to launch.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Where will pinball go when all these pinball guys retire or die? Who is passing the torch to the next generation programmers??

It won't be an issue, I'm not even 45 and I feel ancient at times in the gaming business. Being completely honest it's like pro sports, its a young man's game, the next 18 year old phenom is always pushing to retire you.

#124 6 years ago

There is so much that could be done with online and DLC. Stern already ships incomplete code, I have no idea why they don't add modes post ship for a fee. Weekly events and tournaments are all potential revenue streams. They are just not willing to make the investment and its unfortunate. They are just so far behind the times with the way they think.

P.S. If Stern launched an Update to AC/DC this weekend that was $100 added a Dirty Deeds mode with the song and a tournament is running for the entire long weekend top 10 scores on the new mode get it free. How many guys go for it? I dunno what the price point is for pinball, but its common in gaming for customers to spend far more post ship then they do on the original product. So there is a point that it works out and its very profitable. Considering what people are willing to spend on mods I think this model would be very lucrative in pinball.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

The second I have to pay $7k for a pin, then pay another $100.00 for a software update, is the day I stop buying new pins.

They said they same thing in video games, TV, the music industry, downloadable goods is the future and there is no stopping it. Do you prefer the model that you just get weak code and no update? This model is also proven to improve sales of new product. The math doesn't lie. Also this is not just an update its new content.

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Don't care about "they". All I said was that I never will. If pinball machines were $60.00 like a video game or $0.99 for a song, then I would be tempted.

Well you will be in the minority. I work in gaming and the number of times a guy was ranting that he would never play again or spend a nickel only to pull up his info and laugh. Those are the whales they spends large and games for countless hours. People will dump hundreds into a pin on mods. They will spend money on new modes and code. It's all just simple mathematics.

#130 6 years ago

Well the conversation is about the pinball industry and how software could improve it. Pinballers are very susceptible to "dopamine marketing" they are bang in the bullseye of the target demographic. Its catching fish in a barrel.

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

I don't know a single person that I play pinball with that has any interest in competing online.
    It's totally pointless considering no two pinball machines play alike and there's no real safe guard against cheating.
    It was available almost 20 years ago on Pin2K games and no one cared about it then either.

Its not about competing online, that is a small part of it. Its about pushing updates and features its about making that pin feel brand new a year later with new stuff. Its about making sure all your customers are playing there pins when a new pin comes out. Its about making it fresh. It's about constant rewards and conditioning.

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

However, subjectively, as a customer, I really don't like it.

Well as a software engineer it's part of my job to make you love it and we do it very very well. Ask anyone that has every played a big video game how tempting it is to spend money. It's fucking crack, and pinballers are already addicts, it would be childs play to hook them.

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't buy/pay for any game...I download/steal them. Why? Well programmers like you trying to sell me shit doesn't hurt

For every person that pirates there is a thousand lined up on launch day. Piracy will always exist but it's slowly but surely being shrunk down to a non factor. That is also why you need people to want to be online. The best defense from piracy is to make you game worth every penny. I will take that challenge.

#140 6 years ago

All these giant exceptions and headaches were hard 20 years ago. Yes it would take some investment from Stern but this is not astro physics it's a database and it's not like they couldn't team up with someone. Everyone can so easily go on and on about why it wouldn't work yet there is hard evidence that it does work. So you would spend $20 no questions asked on a game that you made a $60 dollar investment but you will never spend a nickel on a pin you invested $7000 on? This forum would erupt at the chance to throw money at Stern on a new mode, even if it was a steaming pile and everyone here knows it.

Added over 7 years ago: No fun It only lets you go back so far, please disregarding everything I have said in this thread.

#153 6 years ago

Pointless

#159 6 years ago

Clearly there is no point in discussing this from the start

#165 6 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

so, in your opinion, modern software engineers who think it is difficult or complex are incompetent? Some pretty good pinball machines out there for a bunch of guys who are incompetent.

That is exactly what I was saying.

#171 6 years ago

You guys are spot on

#173 6 years ago

I am a glutton for punishment

#176 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sometimes when everyone around you is telling you you're wrong, it's because you're wrong.

I am totally wrong

#185 6 years ago

I know I should just stay out of this thread...
    I should have taken my own advice.

#187 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ah a cargument....awesome. Stern Vs. Toyota/Honda; perfect.

You not even trolling with any effort. You are making me feel dumb and that is pretty impressive. This time I am out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-the-programmers-were-better-then-this-hobby-will-explode?tu=Darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.