If the next Stern pin was "Gary Stern" ...

By pinster68

5 years ago

Stats

• 38 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by unigroove
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sternacdc.jpg
    WWE91196_Ric_Flair[1].jpg
    article-new-ehow-images-a04-pg-bs-make.jpg

#1 5 years ago

What features, rules, layout would it have?

#2 5 years ago

Gary Stern - The pinball machine...

Featuring:

"Stubborn Multiball" - A one-ball multiball
    "Perseverance ball save" - After you're game over, the machine will give you one more ball - to keep the game going!

Get the "Coin-up Operators Limited Edition" for only $7999 - An empty cabinet with just a coin slot and flipper buttons that do nothing. Translite featuring Gary holding fists full of dollars

Just kidding of course, I'm grateful Stern is still around in these tough times

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

"Stubborn Multiball" - A one-ball multiball

#4 5 years ago

Didn't they already make the Rolling Stones?

#5 5 years ago

Will it include a bash toy of Gary's head? Because it seems like the average pinball "fans" love nothing more than to bash Gary and his company. If half of the haters put their money where their mouth is, that should make it their biggest hit yet!

#6 5 years ago

All the molex connectors have been replaced with ford automotive wiring harnesses, after all his pins have more parts and wiring than a ford Taurus

#7 5 years ago

I know meant to be a funny thread but a little unfair. The man may be stubborn on his thinking and yes didn't really embrace collectors/hobbyists but he did single handily keep pinball alive when no one else was willing. He weathered the storm when NO ONE else would. His biggest fault is he was resistant to recognize his new target audience and adapt his business model. We can debate he did adapt his business model to cost cutting but then found the error of his ways.

Which gets me thinking, isn't that also what happened to other businesses like Microsoft, auto industry, etc? He's not alone. For years he was making money from OPS and still does. But he finally recognized, through ample pushing, to change. May not like all Stern titles but at least we have had them coming out.

I've seen Gary be eccentric and arrogant at times, but he is a man committed to his business and passion for pinball. I wouldn't buy a Gary Stern pin but would drop money in to play to say "Thank You".

#8 5 years ago

I second that. But there's no harm joking about Gary and about Stern Pinball and the stubborn nature of the man and some of the cost-cutting they implemented. Reality is that I own multiple Stern games and am very happy with them. So he must have been doing some things right.

The same happened with Steve Jobs, when the iPhone just came out, he refused to let developers in on the platform and put all his effort in "web apps". It wasn't until after they opened up iOs that it became such a success for Apple. Adapting is a huge part of pioneering. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS )

Anyways, let's try to keep this thread fun and tongue in cheek. And next week we'll just open one about.. uhm.. Jack? There's definitely some jokes to be made about Jack too

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Anyways, let's try to keep this thread fun and tongue in cheek. And next week we'll just open one about.. uhm.. Jack? There's definitely some jokes to be made about Jack too

Good points Robin and agreed. It is a funny "tongue and cheek" thread. I opened another thread to discuss Gary in a different way. A thread on Jack pinball would be equally cheeky.

#10 5 years ago

Would look like LAH with Gary's mug in the place of Arnolds

#11 5 years ago

I think it should feature Gary bobblehead bumpers. When the pops fire, the bobbleheads start a wobbling and bobbling. Each bobblehead should have a unique Gary expression on it's face.

#12 5 years ago

Homemade..........

article-new-ehow-images-a04-pg-bs-make.jpg

#13 5 years ago

I can't believe anyone really thinks Gary Stern kept pinball alive!!!

Pinball players kept and continue to keep pinball alive. They also have kept the Stern business alive.

#14 5 years ago

This thread is catty....

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Homemade..........

Attachments article-new-ehow-images-a04-pg-bs-make.jpg (24.2 KB, 0 downloads) 1 hour old

WTF!! You need some PDI glass for that.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I can't believe anyone really thinks Gary Stern kept pinball alive!!!
    Pinball players kept and continue to keep pinball alive. They also have kept the Stern business alive.

Really? So after 1999 we would be good then with no one manufacturing pins? I think your wrong IMO.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

simonakapw said:

Homemade..........
    Attachments article-new-ehow-images-a04-pg-bs-make.jpg (24.2 KB, 0 downloads) 1 hour old

The PDI Glass IS in there!

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Jeff_PHX_AZ said:simonakapw said:
    Homemade..........
    The PDI Glass IS in there!

It needs some LED's now to make it complete. That looks to be a pita to shop though, wonder if magic eraser will get those ball swirls out?

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

So after 1999 we would be good then with no one manufacturing pins? I think your wrong IMO.

+1 Pinball would have been dead without him which sounds crazy but it's true.

#21 5 years ago

I like your concept RGR

maybe the tight arse mode could be a hole in the playfield that is so neat 1mm bigger dia than the ball in which the ball drops into and store for a multiball to be released for multiball. This way you could have fun with the graphics. joking....

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Whysnow said:I can't believe anyone really thinks Gary Stern kept pinball alive!!!
    Really? So after 1999 we would be good then with no one manufacturing pins? I think your wrong IMO.

Indeed. In talking to Jack, one of the reasons for him starting JJP was the fear that if Stern were to go out of business there would be no one left building new machines and pinball would die.

#23 5 years ago

Ooh I got one:
    Flippers double as keyboard. Press the buttons on the side to enter zeros and ones to input your own hexidecimal code to finish the incompleted code from the factory, no need to wait 6 months later and download it to a USB key. Now you can finish the code they never finished for monopoly!

#24 5 years ago

anything with a photo of Gary in the middle of the pf and the backglass.
    .. a photo, not a drawing.

#25 5 years ago

I found the action figure for the LE, they may want to make some alterations to give it a little more in the breadbasket, but it's pretty close.

WWE91196_Ric_Flair[1].jpg

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

robin said:Anyways, let's try to keep this thread fun and tongue in cheek. And next week we'll just open one about.. uhm.. Jack? There's definitely some jokes to be made about Jack too
    Good points Robin and agreed. It is a funny "tongue and cheek" thread. I opened another thread to discuss Gary in a different way. A thread on Jack pinball would be equally cheeky.

Glad to see you guys are having fun with this thread, that's what it was all about.

Here's my contribution:

"The Gary Striptease Mode" ... this is the point in the game where all the decals fall off.

It ain't pretty.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

I found the action figure for the LE, they may want to make some alterations to give it a little more in the breadbasket, but it's pretty close.

Would be a nice topper for WWFRR.

#28 5 years ago

// Error: Image 15864 not found //

1 month later
    #29 5 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Jeff_PHX_AZ said:So after 1999 we would be good then with no one manufacturing pins? I think your wrong IMO.
    +1 Pinball would have been dead without him which sounds crazy but it's true.

Pinball would not be dead, it is still alive today given the amount of time and effort that people put in to maintaining DMD's, SS's and EM's. Its the players that are keeping it alive, not the manufacturers.. Should there be a resurgence of pinball in the mainstream then sure the manufacturers will need to make games to meet the demand, but that it unlikely to happen.

#30 5 years ago

One of the coin slots would be a bill acceptor and it would say "Rich Doctor/Lawyer"

2 months later
    #31 5 years ago

lol

#32 5 years ago

Years ago Stern made a pinball machine named Pinball. EM and SS.

So they should make a newer version, at least honoring/commemorating Stern Pinball or Gary.

LTG

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

lol

What an excellent bump to a 3 month old thread.

#34 5 years ago

Without Gary Stern and his company, the newest pinball is SWE1, or Vacation America. The collecting community is half the size it is today. There are no DMDs left on location, because the remaining rabid collectors have offered crazy cash to ops for them.

Oh, and in this alternate reality, the housing crash never happened (butterfly effect).

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Jets would be a Mexicans quickly shooting the ball all over the place. 30 hits = a built pinball.

It's funny cuz it's kinda true

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from ssathre:

This pin also could be reproduced just a couple years latter as a Chevy Chase pin without changing anything!
    sternacdc.jpg

#37 5 years ago

1) It would contain the wiring harness of a Ford Taurus.
    2) The ball would be wild!
    3) No one but ops could buy it (home users don't buy pinball machines.)
    4) "Sweater Cape Multiball!"
    5) "Investor Takeover!!!" wizard mode.

#38 5 years ago

I'm still missing the "if another manufacturer starts making pinballs, we'll both end up going out of business" mode

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 919.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 99.99
    Displays
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 380.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Great American Pinball

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 1,963 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside