Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will game prices continue to soar?”

• Yes 67 votes
      47%
    • No 27 votes
      19%
    • Don't care stopped buying games. 49 votes
      34%

(143 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor-2.gif
    321A7CF6-BAC4-4F71-896D-9B467F81873E.gif
    57fd3bf64046ddf8008b524b (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpg
    C94827BA-E293-4B8F-BDDF-C6F31EAD1E29.gif
    giphy (8).gif
    EF3BC94B-E4B4-4EB9-BCD5-493CA78F44D4.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

What pins got hit the hardest losing money?

Which pins are you speaking of? Woodrails? EMs? Early solid state? Or NIBs?

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Did not search and see if this topic particularly was covered. The question I was posing was any examples of games that drastically reduced in value over the years. What pins got hit the hardest losing money?

Many will tell you to use the search function. But the search function doesn't work very well if you don't type in everything just so. And then you have to wade through 7 pages of search results that lead mostly to unresolved posts.

Maybe instead of asking something about the bubble bursting, you might try asking about how far, and how high, and for how long will prices keep rising. People will like that.

The questions I would ask are:

1A) How many people own their pins outright and how many have pushed on the monthly payment button?

1B) How many people are employed in jobs that will remain secure in the future?

1C) How many pin owners are retired, have no debt, and pinball has become their retirement hobby? That is me. If the pin market collapsed tomorrow I would still be paying my utilities, eating well, and playing my pins. I would not need dump them if everything fell apart.

2) How much stock market money is fueling the prices, and in some cases, a meteoric rise in prices?

3) How much of these higher prices are related to the pandemic?

Everybody is talking/complaining about how high pin prices have got. But there are enough people chasing and buying that asking prices are going nuts---but someone keeps stepping in a paying up.

I guess you could say that right now that pinball is a seller's market. And Stern sure is taking advantage of it with its annual price increases which lifts the ceiling for all pinball machines.

Here is one item that could slow the used pin market down: To ship one pin is now costing $600.00 to $650.00 a pop. USPS, FedEx, and UPS ship prices are starting to hurt. A medium size USPS priority box with $50.00 worth of insurance costs $17.00 to ship. And in extra insurance to $100.00 and you are looking at $20.00 to ship.

I have flapped my gums for way too long here but you thought you were asking a simple question, looking for a simple answer. It is more complex than simple.

Here is my math. I would like the market to stay hotter than hell as I have another pin I am building and I would like to make some money for my efforts, but now I am wanting a Ghostbusters and wish GB prices would collapse.
    ============================================

Lets talk about the price/value proposition. I made a thread asking about how much your hobbies cost.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-does-your-hobby-cost

On a comparative measure, pinball offers a good value for your entertainment dollar. The absolute first value pinball offers is that to get some action, all you have to do is walk into your game room and throw a switch and you can immerse yourself in action all day long for the price of some kilowatts of electricity. Maybe nano-watts. Replace a rubber ring and a ball every once in awhile and you are still rolling.

Is it 15 degrees outside? Brew a pot of coffee and crank up the pins. Is it 110 in the shade? Turn the AC on, make some iced tea, and fire up the pins. In any type of weather, pinball is a hobby to carry you thru. Just like the Pony Express: " Neither rain, or snow, nor death of night, can keep us from our duty." Or a session of pinball.

Golf: You have to load up the clubs and irons, trek to the golf course, and pay those green fees. Don't forget to factor in all of the lost balls.

Fishing: Sure, you can get by cheap. String up a cane pole and get some worms and walk to the pond. Or you can go the Bass Pro route ( did you know you can finance a boat for 10 years? ).

There are all kinds of hobbies that cost a fortune. And there are a lot of hobbies that require you to keep feeding the money monster.

Pinball? Just plug it in and it is sitting there waiting for your beck and call.

You want the hobby that will cost you a fortune? Start restoring an old car and then feel proud if you get half of your money back when you sell. You have to find the right buyer who will pay up for your custom green and purple poke-a-dot paint job.

The only question you asked that can be answered is this one:

Quoted from playtwowin:

Should you consider pinball an investment?

Answer: No ! Sure, some of these guys who have owned their pins for years are getting a nice ride, but the answer is still No !.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

No one seems to understand inflation - there is no bubble. There is however a devaluation of the dollar and other currencies by the fiscal policies being employed right now.
    25% of all dollars EVER created in the history of the country were created last year. Therefore at minimum you will see at 25% inflation in prices over the coming weeks/months/years. The only way to avoid it is to cull the money from the supply which there is no way in hell they are going to do that. It's the only thing keeping this illusion going.
    That is why the FED wants to stop using the term transitory inflation, it's not going away. We are nearing the precipice, you may want to read up on Venezuela and see what happened to them when their government had similar fiscal policies.

Or Germany pre WW II.

Some are starting to talk in terms of 1970s style stagflation.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from cgdexpx:

But like anything as time goes by I believe less and less people will be interested in them.

I don't agree. This is not the pinball I grew up with in a bowling alley and some of the 80s/90s pins displaying with lots of T & A. Stern is making family friendly machines. And people are bringing them home. And teaching their kids how to play.

I think that perhaps the woodrails and EMs might slow down. But these pins coming out today at least give some value of play for the dollar for the casual with the ball savers instead of the drain-o-matics of old.

So, if you have a family and you need some entertainment for them, you can get a pool table---if you have a large room. Or you can get a pinball machine to put it in the corner of the room. Granted, a pool table will probably be a lot cheaper these days but a pin fits better.

In the end, my crystal ball is as clear as yours, so who knows?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-the-bubble-bursts?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.