(Topic ID: 34844)

If Stren did a re-run of IM pro would you likely buy it?

By rai

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by goatdan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“IM”

• Yes 36 votes
    38%
  • No 58 votes
    62%

(94 votes)

#1 7 years ago

If Stern made a 300 machine run of IM and was the same as before or maybe a new back glass and cost ~$4600 delivered would you buy it?

#2 7 years ago

Nope, I had it for a while. And while it's a great pin, i have no need right now to have it again. At least for the time being.

#3 7 years ago

New IM = Mucho sales!

#4 7 years ago

I would. I will honestly find the cash today if they announced it.

#5 7 years ago

You need a 3rd option to your poll IMHO

"No, but ______ will buy 3 to flip and then tell us all on a regular basis how IM is the best game ever and all of the games we already own suck"

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

New IM = Mucho sales!

Not with Stern having a hard time adjusting to its clientele base. Gary's vision of the future and the collectors are not meshing; what with the code updates fiasco and long list of over- promising and under-delivering, along with poor QC and exponential price hikes and his history of wallet based designing, I think his NIB customer base may shrink in the future. I for one am out of the NIB due to frustration.

Unless Stern made The Walking Dead pin. Well that's different!

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#7 7 years ago

I haven't found any production numbers. How many of the pro version were made?

I bought one NIB back in May when the production was drying up and am currently giving it the LE treatment.

I could see production of another 100 machines but 300 might be overly optimistic.

An LE version might be nice since Stern has figured out how to powdercoat in color.

Of course they won't sell for $4600. Maybe the price is why they won't make any more.

Would you buy one at $6600?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I for one am out of the NIB due to frustration.

Unless Stern made The Walking Dead pin. Well that's different!

Thats where they have us. Its a love hate relationship. But honestly all they have to do is the Progression on TF and one nice Xmen update and they have us at Pinball.
WE all have that title and stand pat until its released then we trip over ourselves to get one : ) Super guilty here.
The Xmen bugs had me a little ticked but I am still playing it and I still would not let it go. More importantly my Hulk arrived and is blowing me away. Seriously they have taken it up a notch. This is a game changer.

#9 7 years ago

I've mentioned to Stern that an Iron Man LE would be an instant winner. I'd love to upgrade my Iron Man to a new LE if it was possible. Go ahead peeps, email Stern and let them know what you want.

#10 7 years ago

Would I buy an IM LE at nearly double the price I paid for my IM 2+ years ago? That's a pretty harsh sell. What would be so special about it? Does it come with a functioning copy of an Iron Man armor? (I won't be picky about what Mark it is...).

I mean there is no way they could bling it up enough to make it worth it in my eyes... but that is coming from a current owner who loves his game.

If they can come up with something that is somewhat rational I would be tempted, but come on. Look at what has come from them lately. At best you would get a cash grab, the only variable is how much effort they put in on their end (e.g. programming an actual skill shot?, having a status update that actually gives you relevant information etc...).

#11 7 years ago

Stren makes fishing line. I use it. Two thumbs up.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

tren makes fishing line. I use it. Two thumbs up.

Lol! Nice catch.

See what I did there as well.

#13 7 years ago

I'd be interested in IM

#14 7 years ago

I think it would be awesome if they just did another IM all together with more toys. Maybe a Stark industries LE version. I bet they would sell out immediately.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Would I buy an IM LE at nearly double the price I paid for my IM 2+ years ago? That's a pretty harsh sell. What would be so special about it? Does it come with a functioning copy of an Iron Man armor? (I won't be picky about what Mark it is...).
I mean there is no way they could bling it up enough to make it worth it in my eyes... but that is coming from a current owner who loves his game.
If they can come up with something that is somewhat rational I would be tempted, but come on. Look at what has come from them lately. At best you would get a cash grab, the only variable is how much effort they put in on their end (e.g. programming an actual skill shot?, having a status update that actually gives you relevant information etc...).

Stern is capable of coming up with something special if they want to. An Iron Man 3 movie is in the works and that could be drawn on. I'd like to see a killer cabinet like Hulks for an Iron Man LE. I'd go with the Hot Rod red matallic for the siderails and legs and alternating gold and red chrome T molding for the backbox. Making a unique mirrored backglass for it would be a piece of cake. A premium LED lightshow like AC/DC premiums would be a must. Some unique new toys would also be necessary. I don't know who the villain in Iron Man 3 will be but maybe Iron Monger could be replaced with a new villain, or a lower playfield, or trolls, or some crazy gobble hole feature with a new type of weapon to fire balls back at you. Stern could easily come up with enough new features to make an Iron Man LE as different from a pro as an AC/DC premium is as diferent from an AC/DC pro.

#16 7 years ago

I'll buy 2 if it gets Stern to reproduce it!

#18 7 years ago

I'd want the build quality to be better than it was the first time around. Personally I think there may be better pinball out there for $4,800...and its a no for me once you start getting anywhere near $5,500.

I would like an IM someday. And I don't buy this notion that people will never sell them. I just don't. If that means ill never get one, big deal.

#19 7 years ago

no - selfish reasons - i just paid a lot of buckaroos for one and a new run will depreciate it - of course one month ago i would have said yes

all kidding aside if they produced another 300 i'm sure there will be buyers - although i am shocked to see you can still get trons now since they reproduce them

so maybe stern real knows what the market actually is

thanks ed

#20 7 years ago

I just purchased one...NAVL is picking it up in a day or so, and it will be here by the 15th. I paid more than I wanted, but less than they are going for. They do pop up sometimes, but not often.

If they did a re-run would I buy one? Probably not. I don't know how Stern would handle it...I'd hate to fork the money over for a NIB one and realize there is some new quality control issue.
I might buy one from the second run after the second run was out and people were selling theirs. I'd be really upset if I opened a NIB one and either found that Stern introduced some new code that's got issues or had a bad batch of aux boards...the thrill of opening a brand new box is dampened by the fear that it's not just open and play ready!

#21 7 years ago

I would like a re-run of IM in the same way that I liked a re-run of Tron. In the event that I ever want to purchase one, they both become a whole lot cheaper, and those who were trying to get $5500-$6000 for their used one are immediately deflated.

#22 7 years ago

I'd be in for an LE based on the upcoming Iron Man 3 movie.

#23 7 years ago

I'd buy 1 , if they were $ 4250.00 to my door Ship'd like in 2010 ..

#24 7 years ago

Where did this rumor come from? It keeps popping up and I don't think Iv seen any basis for it than wild speculation.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Where did this rumor come from? It keeps popping up and I don't think Iv seen any basis for it than wild speculation.

Like Tron one just hopes that enough talk and speculation gets Stern to respond to money on the table.

#26 7 years ago

Yes but I wonder if they would sell for that? If they did I bet they would put red trim on it.

#27 7 years ago

I'd like to see it with liquid paper white/candy apple red powder.

#28 7 years ago

The rumor has been born from logic. Stern needs to get smarter to survive and they are. There is good demand for IM and with the movie coming out, it makes sense. There is no R&D, just production. When you have a hit game, you produce as much of it as you can. To hell with the dealers who stock pile these games and jack up the prices.............Stern is not making that profit.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I'd buy 1 , if they were $ 4250.00 to my door Ship'd like in 2010 ..

Sorry, it's 2013 now. How the hell did that happen?

#30 7 years ago

No.... IM is boring to me.

#31 7 years ago

If the license is somehow still theirs through their Avengers license, I could see this happening...however that was thru Disney & IM was Paramount at the time. So, if they had to re-up it through Paramount ...probably wouldn't happen.

I wouldn't be interested if it was a Pro, but if it was an LE w/ cool trim, a backglass, and some chest lights & lit up whips (like the mods, but done more professionally & tied into the software), color changing LED inserts & GI zones like AC/DC, metal apron with light up art like Avengers...that would be cool. They'd have to make a custom Monger anyway since the toy version isn't available to them anymore. That would be great if he was actually metal w/ lit up eyes & chest. Hell, it would be nice to see a custom molded War Machine & Whiplash, too...why not - a "No Hasbro Edition".

#32 7 years ago

Don't see it happening.

#33 7 years ago

It would come down to price for me. If priced right and delivered at $4,600 I would buy. If it came as an LE with a mirrored back glass and some other bling I would go up to $5,500.

#34 7 years ago

3750 was original cost of IM nuff said.

#35 7 years ago

I would rather see a Tron Premium with a mirrored backglass, orange trim, color changing ramps, inserts, and GI zones. Tron 3 will be coming out in 2014 so there should be plenty of demand for the franchise. It would be like printing money for Stern!

#36 7 years ago

I don't think I'd go for a pro at their current prices... and I can't afford a LE. So no to any version.
I'm saving up for a Star Trek later this year anyways. (fingers crossed).

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

3750 was original cost of IM nuff said.

Yep. Passed at that price. Just not enough game there for me.

#38 7 years ago

I'd buy at current pro pricing. Don't need a fancy trim version for me.

#39 7 years ago

No bull ... I was playing Ironman last night and had exactly the same thought:

"Why don't Stern remake this as a 500 run LE model?"

250 Stark Industries (or something) with metallic silver bits
250 Iron Man Red (or something) with all candy Red bits

They have the playfield design, they have the ramp molds, they have the software ... If they can sort the licence, then surely it's a no brainer?

Money for jam!

rd.

#40 7 years ago

Look at how in Avengers, Stern didn't get licensing for actors photos / voices. My guess is the IM license expired, and it would be even more expensive to re-purchase, considering the success of the Avengers franchise and the making of Iron Man 3.

#41 7 years ago

I Alway's say I would Like a IM , but Every time I play it ,, The Pin Dominates me !!

I played IM against debras ( a Female member Here ) this Past Sat- @ Lost Ark , She Skunked me

Yes , I would Buy a 2013 IM , but I'd Probably get so Pissed off @ it and sell it w/ in 2-week's.

Shanetastic has since then made All of his Pin's 3-ball play ..

#42 7 years ago

No... I don't get the appeal of this game. Relatively simple and the outlanes too frequently take the ball.

#43 7 years ago

Never, it was a hunk the first time

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from haiderdj:

Look at how in Avengers, Stern didn't get licensing for actors photos / voices. My guess is the IM license expired, and it would be even more expensive to re-purchase, considering the success of the Avengers franchise and the making of Iron Man 3.

The license expired ages ago. I emailed Stern and they replied to such effect.

#45 7 years ago

Kind

Quoted from Shapeshifter:The license expired ages ago. I emailed Stern and they replied to such effect.

Kind of like when Gary Stern announced they were making no more Trons when I was physically present at the Northwest Pinball and Gameroom show, and reconfirmed this when I told him personally I thought it was too bad about no more Trons.

If they can make it happen, and want to make it happen, they will.

I am not sure they can put enough sugar on a base IM to justify a 2K+ price hike or whatever they would want for it now. And it is awesome, don't get me wrong. After years of ownership it is still my go to game.

#46 7 years ago

IM prem with Trim - speaker kits and armor would be and easy sell. They could wholesale for 5k and list for $5995 it would sell out like tron 2d first round.

#47 7 years ago

Quoted from AkumaZeto:3750 was original cost of IM nuff said.

#48 7 years ago

I already have one - so need a 3rd option to your pole - No - but have one.

For Stern to get around the pricing etc there could just do a Premium Version with Back alley's candy red trim and a few other flashie bits and maybe a different translite like the recent Tron.

Stern should definitley do it, it's a great game and all the hard work is done.

#49 7 years ago

Really liked it. Fast game, love the Iron Monger coming up, loved the kickback, cool ramps, and random magnets.

Having said that, I learned my lesson with X-men, I'm never buying NIB again. Patience is truly a virtue.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

To hell with the dealers who stock pile these games and jack up the prices.............Stern is not making that profit.

To be fair, those dealers who stock pile the games and jack up the prices are taking the risk on the machines actually going up on value, and allowing Stern to manufacture more of the machines. If those dealers didn't buy extras for the future, the runs would be considerably smaller in the first place.

As for the possibility of a remanufacture of the game, as I've said before, there is *always* the possibility that Stern will remanufacture anything. I don't see them coming back and doing an LE run though because of the issues with LOTR LE, and to be fair LOTR LE took a long, long time to sell out.

LOTR LE was arguably a step down from the original version (no figures, and a lot of people didn't like the new backglass). IM LE if it is a step down I don't think it will sell very good. If they do much in the way of differences and lock it to the LE (improve skill shot, etc) it will disappoint / tick off a lot of people who bought the standard model.

If it can make financial sense, it will happen, but all of this pining for some special LE model I think is completely misplaced, and if Stern does that I do think it would adversely affect their Pro models in the future more than their current LE model already does.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Levittown, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside