(Topic ID: 132700)

If Steve Irwin Had Lived, Pinball Might be Different Today...

By BackFlipper

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bindy_irwin.jpg
australia17.jpg
croc10.jpg
australia21.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I was just thinking about this last night. What if Wayne had been able to complete this game and it had become a big success? My understanding is that licensing became complex once Steve Irwin passed away. What would pinball look like today? I know Gary Stern was a little nervous. I actually loved the design of the backbox at the time. I still would like this title, but I don't think demand would be too high.

australia21.jpg

croc10.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Here was the early whitewood:

australia17.jpg

#3 5 years ago

This was Gary Stern's Press Release after the announcement. He sounded a little nervous to me.

"Dear Ladies & Gentlemen:

It has been reported by a pinball enthusiasts' publication that WMS has sold and/or licensed some of its assets formerly used in its pinball business to an Australian game distributor, Wayne Gillard.

We have not verified this report. Mr. Gillard has been attempting to design a pinball machine for about a year.

We believe that the assets transferred include:
. Certain copyrights and trademarks, including old WMS game designs and names to the extent that the titles and art are not licensed from others;
. Pinball patents that have not yet expired (U.S. patent laws require the owner to pay substantial maintenance fees); and
. Some information regarding WMS parts.

It was also reported that Mr. Gillard acquired a right to use the Bally name. We question the extent, if any, and the duration, of the right Mr. Gillard has received.

We believe that inventory, tooling and Williams' name are not included in the assets transferred or licensed. Existence, ownership and location of the tooling is questionable.

It is unclear whether Mr. Gillard now intends to remake old WMS games and/or manufacture original designs. We believe that the design and manufacture of hybrid video pinball games would be no more financially viable for Mr. Gillard than it was for WMS.

We believe the assets included in the transaction would not have added to our business if we had acquired them, nor do they detract from our business in the hands of others. Stern Pinball has all tooling, intellectual property rights and other elements necessary for our business. We continue to have games designed by the best designers of the pinball industry. Our service and parts departments are second to none, supporting the games we have manufactured. We will continue to develop new and exciting products as we have for nearly 20 years.

Should you have questions, please contact me.

Best regards,

Gary"

#4 5 years ago

That cabinet art is very Scared Stiff. I wonder if they reworked it since it looks like Croc Hunter was 1995 and SS was 1996.

#5 5 years ago

Well, Gary was spot on about their service and parts department being second to none...

As for Croc and old Wayno... no comment.

#6 5 years ago

Stern could always do Bindi-Ball.

bindy_irwin.jpg

#7 5 years ago

Wayne wasn't going to produce any games, period. He would have been the original Jpop.

#8 5 years ago

Thank goodness that backbox head style never saw the light of day.

#9 5 years ago

The wizard mode could be a battle with a stingray.

#10 5 years ago

That stunned steve backglass is terrible. They should of just had his face smiling or him holding a croc, not the surprised look. It looks horrible. Love the cabinet side artwork though made to look like a shipping crate with something peeking out from inside.

#11 5 years ago

I would image the word crickey would also be heard almost as much as shoot for the magic trunk

#12 5 years ago

That backglass needs googly eye mods.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The wizard mode could be a battle with a stingray.

I think "race a stingray" should be the hurry-up, if you know what I'm saying?

#14 5 years ago

It would never have happened

Wayne did not even get close to a factory , capable of building pinball machines

#15 5 years ago

looking at that back glass artwork a 3rd time......damn am I high or what, I feel like I am tripping on acid looking at that back glass. It must be a hallucination.

#16 5 years ago

I would have bought one of these.....was a big fan of his show and the theme would have been different

I did get a flyer from Wayne back when this was announced ..... I have it in a binder with the others, but I should probably frame it and hang it in the gameroom

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thank goodness that backbox head style never saw the light of day.

That backbox is similar, yet not as hideous as the one Sega/Stern did for Sharkey's Shootout

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/4492/image-6.jpg

#18 5 years ago

Wayno had all the stuff available to make MM's but failed hard. PPS took over that fiasco is the only reason they got made. No way was Wayno going to be successful in making a brand new machine with unique parts.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I was just thinking about this last night. What if Wayne had been able to complete this game and it had become a big success? My understanding is that licensing became complex once Steve Irwin passed away. What would pinball look like today? I know Gary Stern was a little nervous. I actually loved the design of the backbox at the time. I still would like this title, but I don't think demand would be too high.

australia21.jpgcroc10.jpg

We just DID this a month ago.

The project wasn't canceled because Irwin died - it was already left for dead and we hadn't heard anything about it for many, many months at the time of Steve's untimely demise. That's nothing but a convinient excuse Wayne used at the time to explain the project was dead.

Nothing was stopping him from retheming it into any of the DOZENS of themes that pinball people clamor for (and I can guarantee you "the Croc Hunter" wasn't one of them). Mrpinball Australia was never going to produce any pinball machines, and I can guarantee you Gary Stern wasn't "nervous."

Your "what if" resides in the same file as "what if I discovered my ear wax was made of diamonds," or "what if I woke up in a real life Brewster's Millions scenario?"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 115.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
$ 899.00
$ 110.00
$ 149.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Houdini Planchette Out of stock
Mod Magic!
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball USA
$ 180.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
COINTAKER.COM
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Arizona Pinball
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
B & K Mods
$ 52.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 125.00
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside