Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 137 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robin-stranger-things (resized).jpg
    Todd (resized).jpg
    F348239F-F109-48AD-8DC8-58D0B79E7EF5 (resized).jpeg
    a862dffd1c21186289e41ab49366037c (resized).jpeg
    source.gif
    3msfcb (resized).jpg
    dbc21f3d-5a3b-47da-a2e0-5fcbc2650f8c_screenshot (resized).jpg
    E1497294-6D0A-4037-A02F-CA732ED20701 (resized).jpeg
    ramseasons (resized).jpg
    itsabouttime (resized).jpg
    91896839-chips-potato-potato-chips-isolated-on-white-background- (resized).jpg
    InspirationShot_MarvelousIceSilver@2x (resized).jpg
    There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

I think Spooky is going to do an awesome job on Rick and Morty. I couldn't be more excited that they got the license. However, I can't help to think what this game would have looked liked if Stern was making it. Curious to what Pinside folks think?

If Stern was making Rick and Morty, it would have.....

EDIT: Wow...not the responses I thought this thread would generate. I was mostly curious to what the creative designers at Stern might have done differently. It wasn't intended to bash Stern, Spooky, etc. My apologies to those folks. Lesson learned on my part, THINK before creating another useless thread on Pinside.

#2 4 years ago

Dimples

#3 4 years ago

Italian bottom, two ramps, two loops, and a Rick bash toy.

#4 4 years ago

The same number of Pinside threads.

#5 4 years ago

You'd be replacing all the coil stops right about now.

#6 4 years ago

Fan layout, no custom callouts, terrible release code.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

A $700 topper add on.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

A $700 topper add on.

And you would still save a couple of thousand with Stern.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

And you would still save a couple of thousand with Stern.

On a stripped down pro. Would have nowhere near the light show, sounds/music and features.

#10 4 years ago

...a let down

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

On a stripped down pro. Would have nowhere near the light show, sounds/music and features.

I'm a big fan of this title, but no one can compare to Stern Pros. Spooky has yet to release a title that is beyond the over all finish of a modern Stern pro. I like charlie and spooky as an operation, could not be more impressed with what they have done. Hopefully this title competes with Stern, but you'll need to compare it to a Stern premium at the very least given the price point.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Italian bottom, two ramps, two loops, and a Rick bash toy.

Don’t forget 3 pop bumpers that put the balls out of harms way

#13 4 years ago

I'm not a Stern basher...I have a lot of their games, but I'm glad Spooky is making this. I just think they're perfect for Rick and Morty and that type of humor.

Besides Spooky being the best people in pinball they have:

- The best playfields
    - The best customer service
    - Bowen and CO working on the rules
    - Scott Denisi
    - Best speakers in pinball
    - Great code support for years and future seasons stuff

With Scott you are getting:

1. The best lightshow in pinball
    2. Great music
    3. Creative layout and features
    4 Creative programming

Stern makes great games and they have some great teams making games for sure.

With them you might get some more complicated, custom made mechanical features (like the t-tex from JP2)...then again you might not...depends. There's a lot more variables with Stern. It's hard to beat Elwin right now, and I love Eddy. Lyman is a genius on code.

With Stern you could get a JP2/IMDN/MET/TWD/Star Trek/DP/Tron or you could end up with a Munsters/Black Night/WWE/Kiss/GOTG

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

I'm not a Stern basher...I have a lot of their games, but I'm glad Spooky is making this. I just think they're perfect for Rick and Morty and that type of humor.
    Besides Spooky being the best people in pinball they have:
    - The best playfields
    - The best customer service
    - Bowen and CO working on the rules
    - Scott Denisi
    - Best speakers in pinball
    - Great code support for years and future seasons stuff
    With Scott you are getting:
    1. The best lightshow in pinball
    2. Great music
    3. Creative layout and features
    4 Creative programming
    Stern makes great games and they have some great teams making games for sure.
    With them you might get some more complicated, custom made mechanical features (like the t-tex from JP2)...then again you might not...depends. There's a lot more variables with Stern. It's hard to beat Elwin right now, and I love Eddy. Lyman is a genius on code.
    With Stern you could get a JP2/IMDN/MET/TWD/Star Trek/DP/Tron or you could end up with a Munsters/Black Night/WWE/Kiss/GOTG

Excellent response! Thank you.

I'm not a Stern Basher either. Just a fan of pinball in general. Both Archer and R&M have been a dream theme for me. It would have been great if Stern went with Archer instead of Iron Maiden (although probably far more Maiden fans than Archer fans). Honestly, I was really interested in hearing thoughts on how Stern might have implemented the portal. Anyway, thanks to all who took time to respond.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

Shipped by now and be Gary's favorite game.

#16 4 years ago

It’d be crap. Dimples, horrible code and my guess is Gary would have removed the portal hole in the garage.

#17 4 years ago

I'd imagine a 2 flipper fan layout like GOTG. Ball eating Rick at the back of the game and a Portal lock where the Orb is. Rick and Morty sound alikes doing the PG callouts on the game but Cleland saves the day and creates his own custom package using clips from the show

I do love Stern games but this is a license that I trust Spooky to get right. I'm glad it's in their hands.

#18 4 years ago

re-themed sea witch with a 12k price tag

#19 4 years ago

2 flipper fan layout with a bash toy and early code.

#20 4 years ago

Stern isn't. But if they were. It would be a great game, and have a loyal following.

Spooky is doing it. They have a loyal following. And will make a great game.

Purely speculation. But both companies would make a game that has a lot of people liking it.

I'm just glad for the Rick and Morty fans, that they are getting their game.

Too many games that we think would be great, will never get made. More great ideas than actual new games coming out.

LTG : )

#21 4 years ago

...I would already be playing it.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

If Stern was making Rick and Morty...

...I would not have ordered it.

Not that Stern couldn't make a nice game of the theme, but it wouldn't have been as limited and I don't think it would have been as special to Stern as the project seems to Spooky.

#23 4 years ago

I would be more likely to preorder it. Huge Rick and Morty fan but Spooky making this was actually a detriment for me. I appreciate what Spooky does for the community and how they run their business but I am not a big fan of their machines. I look forward to playing this on location and making a decision based upon that.

#24 4 years ago

...everyone would be getting their game *a lot* sooner (since Stern is capable of producing ~1500 games per month).

Quoted from Rockytop:

KISS is a great game, especially after the 3-year code refresh. Maybe you haven't played the new code?

Not every Stern is a masterpiece, but this is true for all manufacturers!

#25 4 years ago

Some playfields dimple but Sterns crater and look like the surface of the moon!

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

A $700 topper add on.

Yes but it would be a limited edition topper with a numbered plaque!

#27 4 years ago

...the magna-save button would be on the fucking lock-down bar.

...why Steve Ritchie!? Why?...

#28 4 years ago

It would have.....

InspirationShot_MarvelousIceSilver@2x (resized).jpgInspirationShot_MarvelousIceSilver@2x (resized).jpg91896839-chips-potato-potato-chips-isolated-on-white-background- (resized).jpg91896839-chips-potato-potato-chips-isolated-on-white-background- (resized).jpg
    #29 4 years ago

If Stern was making Rick and Morty..... no deposits taken, shipped out with a non-complete code and already in the hands of the owners.

#30 4 years ago

If Stern did the machine it would be about two guys in space with no names.......

#31 4 years ago

When Stern came out with the main toy being a little spaceship on a spring, they got roasted.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

If Stern did the machine it would be about two guys in space

well, its about time.

itsabouttime (resized).jpgitsabouttime (resized).jpg
    #33 4 years ago

....Whysnow would hate it.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from m00nmuppet:

When Stern came out with the main toy being a little spaceship on a spring, they got roasted.

Yes, but R&M is a comedy theme, and the spaceship on a spring has LEDs and is coil activated and probably looks ridiculous when it's bouncing (as in humorous).

Star Wars (tm) is a serious theme about how cool Star Wars (tm) shit is, like TIE Fighters and X-Wings. These are not suitable for bouncing on a simple spring, it's an insult to serious nature of the material. Phew phew pheew!!

#35 4 years ago

if stranger things is any indication,
    stern would only secure the rights for seasons 1 and 2.

ramseasons (resized).jpgramseasons (resized).jpg
    #36 4 years ago

It would suck...

#37 4 years ago

The Denisi lock would only be on the premium and le.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

not been purchased by me.

#39 4 years ago

It would cost 500 dollars more.
    Only have Morty on it, Rick License too high.
    There would be too many inserts with epilepsy-inducing flash patterns
    A sphincter-looking object to jam seeds(balls) in nobody can hit.
    30 day warranty on bad electronic components (but they are so nice they will make exceptions sometimes).

#40 4 years ago

..... a $13k+ signature edition that includes a lock of Justin Roiland's hair.

#41 4 years ago

Who gives a shit.

#42 4 years ago

The R&M pin would be available now but software will take 18 months to complete.

Pickle Rick would be redesigned as a cucumber by Gomez.

No audio assets would be used, there would be custom callouts from Redneck Rick instead.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

KISS is a great game, especially after the 3-year code refresh. Maybe you haven't played the new code?
    Not every Stern is a masterpiece, but this is true for all manufacturers!

Truth....

#44 4 years ago

Its simple if Stern made this game it would be better. But pinsiders especially would deem it very barren and lackluster ed etc. Spooky makes it and "wow" what a marvel to behold. Same price a Stern pro or more (not sure) but thats the real difference. Man this site is getting tedious to be a part of. I mean what is the point of this thread?

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

Who gives a shit.

Fair point. Note to self, random thoughts don't necessarily make good Pinside threads. Lesson learned. ;

#46 4 years ago

if Stern was making the game they would use cartoon art for the LCD but they wouldn't use the original Rick and Morty art they would create their own art that would kinda sorta look like Rick and Morty and use different actors for their voices that kinda sorta sounded like them.

#47 4 years ago

If Stern made R&M you’d be talking to Chas frequently

#48 4 years ago

What if Multimorphic p3 was to make Rick & Morty? What do you think of that!? Put that in yer pipe, Jerry!

E1497294-6D0A-4037-A02F-CA732ED20701 (resized).jpegE1497294-6D0A-4037-A02F-CA732ED20701 (resized).jpeg
    #49 4 years ago

A retheme South Park

#50 4 years ago

In this scenario, let us also make the assumption that Stern made the Alice Cooper game. Let’s then make the assumption that the code is in the same state it is now, games resetting and other issues like multiple balls being kicked out, and locks that have issues, game sometimes cannot find a ball, etc.

There would be quite a few people loudly complaining that Stern should fix the issues with their prior game before anyone dares buy the new game sight unseen.

Stern having incomplete code for a long time after a game is released is much different than having a game code with serious errors this far after the final game has been built.

I consider that an interesting double standard. Spooky it seems can do no wrong in the eyes of many on the site. But stern gets bashed over and over for even the littlest issue by many of the same people who praise Spooky just because they’re a boutique manufacturer.

There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-stern-was-making-rick-and-morty?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.