Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 137 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robin-stranger-things (resized).jpg
    Todd (resized).jpg
    F348239F-F109-48AD-8DC8-58D0B79E7EF5 (resized).jpeg
    a862dffd1c21186289e41ab49366037c (resized).jpeg
    source.gif
    3msfcb (resized).jpg
    dbc21f3d-5a3b-47da-a2e0-5fcbc2650f8c_screenshot (resized).jpg
    E1497294-6D0A-4037-A02F-CA732ED20701 (resized).jpeg
    ramseasons (resized).jpg
    itsabouttime (resized).jpg
    91896839-chips-potato-potato-chips-isolated-on-white-background- (resized).jpg
    InspirationShot_MarvelousIceSilver@2x (resized).jpg
    There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

stern gets bashed over and over for even the littlest issue

You reap what you sow.

If their games weren’t built so cheap no one would complain.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

If Stern was making Rick and Morty, it would have.....

...far fewer dumb threads made about it.

#53 4 years ago

It would be pg with all swear words bleaped with no option to turn on, that was a huge turnoff to me about Deadpool.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

You reap what you sow.
    If their games weren’t built so cheap no one would complain.

Pinsiders would always find something to complain about.

#55 4 years ago

.....chunks of the play field would fall out

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from Monte:

What if Multimorphic p3 was to make Rick & Morty? What do you think of that!? Put that in yer pipe, Jerry![quoted image]

Holy shit, as a Multimorphic owner I would love that and the platform for it would be perfect. (I'm also a Spooky owner and R&M will be my third)
    Multimorphic needs a good licenced theme and that would break them out of the pack, IMO.

#57 4 years ago

Everyone would have pros days after the announcement ...

#58 4 years ago

There would be way to many threads about how it should have been Back to the Future.

#59 4 years ago

This biggest thing I think we would miss out on with a Stern version is all the profanity and adult call outs

#60 4 years ago

This man can say it better than I can.

dbc21f3d-5a3b-47da-a2e0-5fcbc2650f8c_screenshot (resized).jpgdbc21f3d-5a3b-47da-a2e0-5fcbc2650f8c_screenshot (resized).jpg
    #61 4 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

And you would still save a couple of thousand with Stern.

Rick and Morty standard edition = $6995

Stern Pro plus $700 topper = $6600

$395 = "a couple thousand"

Is this common core math?

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

No just a shitty deal on a pro

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I wish I didn't have to continue to see people try to compare pro/premium/le Stern models to Spooky. It's not really comparable, since spooky doesn't change functional features based on "model".

If you really feel the need to compare a Rick and Morty to a Stern, the most accurate "apples to apples" comparison is to take a Stern LE (since that is the only factory powder coated version, and has the flipper-button protecting armor) and then take a Spooky BS Edition and just add everything that a Stern LE would have to come up with a price.

I'll use Stranger Things as an example, since release time frame was basically the same.

Stranger Things LE: $9100. No Topper.
    R&M BS Edition: $7550. Includes Topper. Add Knocker, Shaker, Coin Door with Bill Acceptor Slot, coin box and interior Cabinet Decals. Based on ACNC pricing, this would be an additional $305.

Total for Spooky: $7855. Stern: $9100 (without topper)

So yes.... If a Stern topper adds another 500-700, you are close to a $2000 difference.

I'm not arguing who has better quality, slicker art, better rules, more flow, cooler toys/features, more interesting IP, whatever. But from a sheer PRICE ONLY perspective, Spooky is beating the pants off Stern. Hands down.

Now can this argument go away?

#64 4 years ago
    3msfcb (resized).jpg3msfcb (resized).jpg
    #65 4 years ago

I'm not going to pretend the R&M is a 'deal'. I will say the topper did sweeten it considering how much these damn things go for these days. That being said it really is only sweeter if you had planned on getting one anyway.

I also agree that if it was Stern, I doubt there'd be R rated material.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

In this scenario, let us also make the assumption that Stern made the Alice Cooper game. Let’s then make the assumption that the code is in the same state it is now, games resetting and other issues like multiple balls being kicked out, and locks that have issues, game sometimes cannot find a ball, etc.

There would be quite a few people loudly complaining that Stern should fix the issues with their prior game before anyone dares buy the new game sight unseen.

Let's.

Stern would deny there was any issue at all.

End of Story.

Whereas Spooky has admitted to the issue and has implemented a solution.

Perhaps within that distinction you can find your answer, Spooky Troll.

#67 4 years ago

Does anybody here really think the company that recently brought you Beatles, Munsters, Iron Maiden and Elvira had Rick and Morty on their radar or even heard of it until it was announced Spooky was going to do it?

The only reason they would have even picked up the license would have been to cockblock Spooky like they did with Godzilla if they even thought it had some value.

Not enough prior interest or shut up and take my money posts on pinside to even get their attention.

No, the right people are making this game. And nobody else in the industry would have had the balls to do it.

#68 4 years ago

I like my Sterns
    I love me some Spooky.
    I’m glad they both exist, along with JJP and the rest.

I guess I could say I would have liked to see a Spooky Archer, but that’s only because I’m not a fan of the Maiden music.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Spooky Troll.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I like my Sterns
    I love me some Spooky.
    I’m glad they both exist, along with JJP and the rest.
    I guess I could say I would have liked to see a Spooky Archer, but that’s only because I’m not a fan of the Maiden music.

A Spooky Archer would look awesome next to R&M! (insert a Homer Simpson salivating over a beer sound clip here)

#71 4 years ago

And if Scott worked at Stern instead of Spooky,

his Rick and Morty layout would have become REO Speedwagon or Styx.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

What $700 topper? Stern pros are no where near $5900.

#73 4 years ago

You would wish that Spooky was making it because they try to make better quality games and price them reasonably.

Unlike Stern which tries to cuts costs wherever possible and sacrifices quality/longevity. Then charges prices that are not deserving of that inferior product.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

I think Spooky is going to do an awesome job on Rick and Morty. I couldn't be more excited that they got the license. However, I can't help to think what this game would have looked liked if Stern was making it. Curious to what Pinside folks think?
    If Stern was making Rick and Morty, it would have.....
    EDIT: Wow...not the responses I thought this thread would generate. I was mostly curious to what the creative designers at Stern might have done differently. It wasn't intended to bash Stern, Spooky, etc. My apologies to those folks. Lesson learned on my part, THINK before creating another useless thread on Pinside.

Don’t be sorry.

And what’s useless about informing people that they are about to spend 6K to 9k on something that should be built well but isn’t?

Most people don’t spend that much on a toy. It’s not like a 50 dollar small appliance that’s disposable.

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from cmack750:

I wish I didn't have to continue to see people try to compare pro/premium/le Stern models to Spooky. It's not really comparable, since spooky doesn't change functional features based on "model".
    If you really feel the need to compare a Rick and Morty to a Stern, the most accurate "apples to apples" comparison is to take a Stern LE (since that is the only factory powder coated version, and has the flipper-button protecting armor) and then take a Spooky BS Edition and just add everything that a Stern LE would have to come up with a price.
    I'll use Stranger Things as an example, since release time frame was basically the same.
    Stranger Things LE: $9100. No Topper.
    R&M BS Edition: $7550. Includes Topper. Add Knocker, Shaker, Coin Door with Bill Acceptor Slot, coin box and interior Cabinet Decals. Based on ACNC pricing, this would be an additional $305.
    Total for Spooky: $7855. Stern: $9100 (without topper)
    So yes.... If a Stern topper adds another 500-700, you are close to a $2000 difference.
    I'm not arguing who has better quality, slicker art, better rules, more flow, cooler toys/features, more interesting IP, whatever. But from a sheer PRICE ONLY perspective, Spooky is beating the pants off Stern. Hands down.

The person I quoted was saying you'd "save a couple thousand" if RM was made by stern instead of spooky. Not the other way around.

Which is why I made that point that even using the pro vs the RM, it illustrates how ridiculous that other person was.

#76 4 years ago

What $700 topper? Stern pros are no where near $5900.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-star-wars-topper.html

Quoted from TheLaw:

No just a shitty deal on a pro

Even at a $5200 (which is about as cheap as you might find a NIB pro, and most people will pay more) plus $750 for topper, that's still only about $1k apart. You're still not saving the "couple thousand" that guy claimed you would if stern was making RM instead.

#77 4 years ago

Talk about a sanctimonious, Stern-bashing circle jerk of a thread.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-star-wars-topper.html

Even at a $5200 (which is about as cheap as you might find a NIB pro, and most people will pay more) plus $750 for topper, that's still only about $1k apart. You're still not saving the "couple thousand" that guy claimed you would if stern was making RM instead.

Dude, you pick the one topper stern charges 700 for an use that as your reference?

Stern pro at 5200, announced and delivered within weeks, similar features of R&M. Most toppers are $400 bucks.

R&M, 7k, plus additional for BS edition if you want your game with in the next 12 months. BS edition to get your game puts you at 7500 or slightly more. Yes you get the topper and they get over a year to deliver all of these games. I'll go through 3 NIB sterns before then.

Keep in mind, I ordered two R&M. I support spooky and scott but bottom line is NO ONE can touch the fit, finish and quality stern offers at the pro model.

#79 4 years ago

Dude, you pick the one topper stern charges 700 for an use that as your reference?
    Stern pro at 5200, announced and delivered within weeks, similar features of R&M. Most toppers are $400 bucks.
    R&M, 7k, plus additional for BS edition if you want your game with in the next 12 months. BS edition to get your game puts you at 7500 or slightly more. Yes you get the topper and they get over a year to deliver all of these games. I'll go through 3 NIB sterns before then.
    Keep in mind, I ordered two R&M. I support spooky and scott but bottom line is NO ONE can touch the fit, finish and quality stern offers at the pro model.

I didn't pick the $700 topper, you did LOL. You quoted someone who said $700 topper and then said even with $700 you'd "save a couple thousand".

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-stern-was-making-rick-and-morty#post-5423073

You're also trying to compare a BS edition with powder coating to a non powder coated pro?

#80 4 years ago

NO ONE can touch the fit, finish and quality stern offers at the pro model.

source.gifsource.gif
    #81 4 years ago

bottom line is NO ONE can touch the fit, finish and quality stern offers at the pro model.

This is true. I wouldn't touch one for home use.

Sad. As I actually want 2-3 of them.

But, I will not give my money to Stern as long as they refuse to even attempt to adopt a decent QC system.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

The person I quoted was saying you'd "save a couple thousand" if RM was made by stern instead of spooky. Not the other way around.
    Which is why I made that point that even using the pro vs the RM, it illustrates how ridiculous that other person was.

Sorry about that..... Had your post thought backwards.

Doesn't change my argument for the person who had it the other way around.....

#83 4 years ago

Stern sells a cheaper version of machines than Spooky: True
    Stern delivers machines quicker than Spooky: True

A Stern Pro is essentially a Stern LE.... If you change the Art, use a translite, remove all accessories, do away with the powdercoat, change the playfield layout and remove any toys/features that actually do anything: True

A Spooky "Standard" is essentially a Spooky BS... If you remove the powdercoat: True

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Did he say “quality”

Quality?

Seriously?

#85 4 years ago

i just wish some people would stop buying nib sterns. It’s causing climate change.

#86 4 years ago

I'll wait for someone to give an example of a game better than a Stern Pro NIB at $5200.

Spooky standard R&M is 7k. What about a spooky title is better than a Stern pro model exactly?

Lets compare titles available from spooky against Stern pros:
    Alice Cooper
    America's Most Haunted
    Dominos
    Jetsons
    Rob Zombie

I'll give it up for Total Annihilation but other than that, theres not a game yet to be made that competes.

#87 4 years ago

I'll wait for someone to give an example of a game better than a Stern Pro NIB at $5200.
    Spooky standard R&M is 7k. What about a spooky title is better than a Stern pro model exactly?
    Lets compare titles available from spooky to compare to Stern pros:
    Alice Cooper
    America's Most Haunted
    Dominos
    Jetsons
    Rob Zombie
    I'll give it up for Total Annihilation but other than that, theres not a game yet to be made that competes.

Just out of curiosity, but why are you comparing them to Stern's bottom line games? Why not compare them to their Premium or LE games? Spooky does not take things out that effect gameplay so they can sell a budget model. With that thinking, all Spooky game playfields are "fully loaded", so then you should be comparing it to Stern's fully loaded playfield models, not their stripped down models.

Get the starting point correct and then you can start comparing.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

i just wish some people would stop buying nib sterns. It’s causing climate change.

LOL!

Better buy pins 2nd hand. You don't want to see her when she's angry.

a862dffd1c21186289e41ab49366037c (resized).jpega862dffd1c21186289e41ab49366037c (resized).jpeg

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

Just out of curiosity, but why are you comparing them to Stern's bottom line games? Why not compare them to their LE games? Spooky does not take things out that effect gameplay so they can sell a budget model. With that thinking, all Spooky game playfields are "fully loaded", so then you should be comparing it to Stern's fully loaded playfield models, not their stripped down models.

How do you think Maiden Pro, Jurassic Pro and Met Pro compare to AMH, RZ, TNA? Bogus comparison? Must use Stern LEs? I don't think so.

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

Just out of curiosity, but why are you comparing them to Stern's bottom line games? Why not compare them to their LE games?

Because there is a market for Stern Pros.

Everyone arguing aboot the prices between toppers and powder coatings etc etc doesn't mean anything to me; I'm not interested in that stuff and don't want to pay for it and go through the trouble of selling it.
    I own a JJP machine that cost 2K more than some Stern Pros, it doesn't make either one "better" or "worse."

The bean counting aspect of ownership is such a drag now.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Because there is a market for Stern Pros.
    Everyone arguing aboot the prices between toppers and powder coatings etc etc doesn't mean anything to me; I'm not interested in that stuff and don't want to pay for it and go through the trouble of selling it.
    I own a JJP machine that cost 2K more than some Stern Pros, it doesn't make either one "better" or "worse."
    The bean counting aspect of ownership is such a drag now.

And I agree with you on the cosmetic add-ons. I just don't understand the idea of changing gameplay between models by cutting things out of the actual game itself, which Stern does and Spooky doesn't. I just think that if you are going to compare price points, it is hard to do that with one that is a stripped down gameplay experience to one that has everything. If you are doing that within the same company for gameplay comparisons, great. But to take a game that is missing part of it and saying it is "better because it is cheaper" when comparing it to a game that has everything in it, I just disagree with the previous poster going that route.

I am with you in the "one is not necessarily better than the other because of price" aspect. I am just pointing out the flaw in what he is trying to compare.

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

Just out of curiosity, but why are you comparing them to Stern's bottom line games? Why not compare them to their Premium or LE games? Spooky does not take things out that effect gameplay so they can sell a budget model. With that thinking, all Spooky game playfields are "fully loaded", so then you should be comparing it to Stern's fully loaded playfield models, not their stripped down models.

Because I am saying that Stern's "bottom line" games are just as feature rich as Spooky's games. Theres not much of a difference and if anything I give the edge to Stern.

There is nothing wrong with either company, I like them both.

#93 4 years ago

Because I am saying that Stern's "bottom line" games are just as feature rich as Spooky's games. Theres not much of a difference and if anything I give the edge to Stern.
    There is nothing wrong with either company, I like them both.

I don't agree that this is a valid argument either. Every game is different, regardless of company. Some Stern games have more features than other Stern games regardless of pro, premium, or LE level. And some JJP more than other JJP, and so on... That is a game title to title argument. Otherwise you could cherry pick all day long. Many of Stern games are loaded with features, then there are games that are barren. Same could be said for any company that has put out more than 2 games.

All of Spooky's games have way more features than a Beatles Gold. So what does that mean?

And I like both companies too.

#94 4 years ago

What are you considering a feature? Go ahead and use a Dedpool Pro or the new Stranger Things as an example.

Compare it to ACNC or TNA or even RZ.

I'm just ot seeing your point here.

#95 4 years ago

Alice Cooper
    America's Most Haunted
    Dominos
    Jetsons
    Rob Zombie

Keep in mind that Jetsons and Domino's are not Spooky Games. They were just contracted to build them.

Never been able to play AMH and wasn't a fan of RZ, personally. But I would argue that ACNC is much more feature-rich and "high end" than a typical Stern Pro. Banshee Scoop, Magna save, Danesi Lock, Frankenstein, Upper Playfield, Guillotene, full RGB lighting throughout, true backglass, unbelievable sound system (MUCH better than Sterns) , amazing "stock" rails/legs. And that game came in at $6450.

#96 4 years ago

Domino’s pinball machine. Was it just a machine built for franchise owners? Who else would want it?

#97 4 years ago

Alice Cooper
    America's Most Haunted
    Dominos
    Jetsons
    Rob Zombie

F348239F-F109-48AD-8DC8-58D0B79E7EF5 (resized).jpegF348239F-F109-48AD-8DC8-58D0B79E7EF5 (resized).jpeg
    #98 4 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

I just think that if you are going to compare price points, it is hard to do that with one that is a stripped down gameplay experience to one that has everything.

It's hard to compare any of this shit, but everyone keeps trying

#99 4 years ago

I will give it up for the Shrinky Dink Art Packages on the Stern Pro Models.

Too bad you have to step up to the Premium to get that sweet Deadpool Disco Ball, though...

#100 4 years ago

I will give them this.

If Stern was making Rick and Morty, it would be hard to be much worse than that steaming pile Stranger Things they just released.

There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-stern-was-making-rick-and-morty/page/2?hl=jdissen87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.