New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 151508)

If Stern offered an aftermarket LCD kit, would you buy?

By visi0n

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If Stern offered an aftermarket LCD, are you a buyer (and at what price-point)?”

• Absolutely, even if it costs over $500 3 votes
    3%
  • Yep, but $500 is my limit 12 votes
    12%
  • For the same price as a ColorDMD, yes. ($399) 38 votes
    39%
  • Yes / Other 2 votes
    2%
  • No, out of principled objection for it not being included in the first place 28 votes
    29%
  • No - LCD isn't really a deal-breaker for me 15 votes
    15%

(98 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 4 years ago

Rumors were floating around that Game of Thrones was originally intended to be outfitted with an LCD (of some kind) instead of a standard DMD. Same goes for Ghostbusters. (Which at the time of this post: initial leaks point to having a DMD.) Most will agree the entire point of SPIKE was to enable this innovation.

*If* those rumors were true, it could stand to reason that Stern might have development & licensing efforts set aside for LCD-quality content for these existing (SPIKE) games. If they offered an LCD aftermarket upgrade, would you buy it?

#2 4 years ago

Spike is capable of it and I think it's pretty clear w/ GOT that they were making it with color in mind with all the video footage and CG animation. I really wouldn't be surprised if they offered it as an upgrade for the first few monochrome Spike games.

#3 4 years ago

No more crazy priced mods from stern please.

#4 4 years ago

I would be in favor of even just replacing the DMD with a color LCD. The LCD doesn't have to use up or be as large as Wizard Of Oz to be great. You can still put lots of video and great graphics in that form factor.
I know, someone is going to chime in and say they already have that, its called color DMD. I am talking about a LCD that does the same thing as WOZ but fits the DMD slot.

#5 4 years ago

Definitely. I was sorry it was not included, but it would be a great upgrade. I love ColorDMD, but if it contained the actual higher resolution images from the show, it would be worth it. If not, I hope ColorDMD has it on their list.

#6 4 years ago

I think if they charge the same price as ColorDMD does now, I would stick with ColorDMD. Randy's support and service to this hobby has been nothing less then top notch, besides the fact they are quite a few years into this already and have the programing pretty much down to a science as where this would be a new area for Stern to learn during it's trials.

Why not just contract ColorDMD to do the colorizations and use their LCDs in new machines fourth coming with color.

Just my opinion.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I think if they charge the same price as ColorDMD does now, I would stick with ColorDMD. Randy's support and service to this hobby has been nothing less then top notch, besides the fact they are quite a few years into this already and have the programing pretty much down to a science as where this would be a new area for Stern to learn during it's trials.
Why not just contract ColorDMD to do the colorizations and use their LCDs in new machines fourth coming with color.
Just my opinion.

That would be awesome -- having the largest manufacturer supporting 'the little guy' so to speak. It would be a great story for both and the pinball community wins. I agree with sentiments that when they move I'd like to see a little more than just colored dots. Actual medium or high res footage would be nice but I'll bet that's something Randy has some thoughts on too

#8 4 years ago

If they did offer an LCD kit, it should come with upgraded graphics. At least the same level with MMR enhanced colorization or even better. Just having an LCD kit itself is not really enough

#9 4 years ago

Gomez talked about their new system at seminar (PPE 2011). It was going to have more "horsepower" as he put it and a new display. I think their primary motivation for Spike was cost reduction. The bottom line is the "new" display is way overdue. Im out if GB has a DMD. I collect and route games. Stern needs to offer more for current price, even the gas pump when I fuel up has a hi res lcd. Im tired of customer saying "look at the old pinball machine" and its a newer Stern.

#10 4 years ago

If stern did release a LCD in the future. I think it should be free for prem/Le buyers

#11 4 years ago

All LEs should have LCD s .

#12 4 years ago

Yeah, lets send them another $500 along with that cheap DMD that comes with the game so they can reinstall it in the next title.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Sborel:

Gomez talked about their new system at seminar (PPE 2011). It was going to have more "horsepower" as he put it and a new display. I think their primary motivation for Spike was cost reduction. The bottom line is the "new" display is way overdue. Im out if GB has a DMD. I collect and route games. Stern needs to offer more for current price, even the gas pump when I fuel up has a hi res lcd. Im tired of customer saying "look at the old pinball machine" and its a newer Stern.

Their primary motivation for SPIKE for eliminating the old matrix system that pinball has had for decades and replace it with a more flexible, component based system. It is also much more powerful than the old SAM system.

Cheaper? I doubt anything significant.

#14 4 years ago

No, at some point the whole add on game from Stern has to stop. An LE should represent the best that a company can offer. A topper, logo / engraved shooter rod and other company mods should all be included with the LE. An LE today is on average about $1500 more then a premium so where's the value? Surely it's not in the tiny LE plaque we can barely see.

#15 4 years ago

I can see an add on LCD for existing titles becoming a very real possibility. In 12 months time, Stern are going to have their line up of current games and the photos are going to have a mix of red dots and color. Will they embrace the variety or will they want color to be their new standard?

Going by current mod pricing, hobbyists will expect a certain price point, but that sting will always be a little more than expected.

#16 4 years ago

I'd get it, but it would piss me off. As it is, I had to pay extra to get a shaker on an LE. Really???

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton , FL
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 79.99
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside