(Topic ID: 227577)

if someone handed you 250K how would you invest it.

By zr11990

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zr11990
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ted hookers (resized).jpg
Winning650pw (resized).jpg
C52B4EB9-AEDB-4436-B4C9-E3417559B1C6 (resized).png
Screenshot (11) (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

Not pinball and not buying anything stupid. How would you make that cash work for you?

#2 5 years ago

Put it all on red.

#3 5 years ago

I would buy pinball and all the stupid things.

#4 5 years ago
pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#5 5 years ago

A parking spot for a year in nyc.

#7 5 years ago

And it's gone.......

#8 5 years ago

Tulips!

#9 5 years ago

Pay off the mortgage. Tear down the 35 year old garage, and build a better garage.

#10 5 years ago

A Beatles pin.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from gouveia:

A Beatles pin.

I don’t think that’s enough money

#12 5 years ago

Certainly not semiconductors.

#13 5 years ago

College educations for kids or grandkids. Offers the best payback.

#14 5 years ago

Sit on the sidelines and wait for house of cards 2.0, then swoop in and buy all the boats & homes you want for half off...

#15 5 years ago

Powerball tickets, easy come easy go! Chance for some real money

#16 5 years ago
Screenshot (11) (resized).pngScreenshot (11) (resized).png
#17 5 years ago

Index fund is one of the safest, most consistent for long term growth.

Example: say you put 40 million in an S&P index in the early 70's, reinvesting dividends yearly, you'd have around 3.5 billion today.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Put it all on red.

no, diversify. Half on red, half on black.

#19 5 years ago

2 chicks at the same time?

#20 5 years ago

railroad stocks, or buy pinball machines. in another 2 yrs they will all be 10k, just witnessed a 5500 flintstones, a 5500 terminator, and a 9k Indiana jones...… and they all said it was worth it!!!!

#21 5 years ago

Honestly, IMO, never do large sum investing. If you have no idea where a market is headed, spreading a lump over time can ease the pain of a decline. It will never pay as well if you by chance buy in a valley but if you aren't that fortunate, why take the risk. Also, educate yourself on who you will be dealing with. There are a lot of charlatans in the financial businesses. Many earn on commission. They will not always act in your best interest. Even worse, if you happen to "come into" a larger sum of money, relatives will find you. Never use anybody you are related to as an advisor. Learn what Finra is.

#22 5 years ago

I don’t have time for active investment, so lazy portfolio would be the way to go. I’d spend a little from the top on silly stuff first though
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Index fund is one of the safest, most consistent for long term growth.
Example: say you put 40 million in an S&P index in the early 70's, reinvesting dividends yearly, you'd have around 3.5 billion today.

Wow, you’d only need to invest 40 million to start? Why doesn’t everyone do it?

#24 5 years ago

I would take retirement a few years earlier.

#25 5 years ago

I would pay off the gameroom I just built!!

C52B4EB9-AEDB-4436-B4C9-E3417559B1C6 (resized).pngC52B4EB9-AEDB-4436-B4C9-E3417559B1C6 (resized).png
#26 5 years ago

No time for silly stuff. That is why Im in the boat Im in. Corvettes, pinballs, saltwater aquarium. I could retire now and live in a much bigger home if I hadn't pissed away so much money. Now Im begging for buyers and hating life. I want out of the used car business. Im considering buying rent houses and becoming a slum lord. Problem is that if they don't pay I cant say GTFO, I have to take them to court. Im 50 and Im tired of the whole game. My 92 year old Grandfather is offering to give me a large sum of cash and I want to do something smart with it to help get myself out of slepping used cars.

#27 5 years ago

Start a squirrel rescue.

#28 5 years ago

ld hold off at least till 2020 and the new election. pretty sure speculation of the next potus could be big on how the market responds in the upcoming year.

#29 5 years ago

All depends on how long until you need to touch the money. Have some fun on Pinside and then go talk to a real advisor.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

Wow, you’d only need to invest 40 million to start? Why doesn’t everyone do it?

pretty sure if you use long division you could apply the example to your unique situation...so $4 in early 70's becomes a cool $35 now

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

No time for silly stuff. That is why Im in the boat Im in. Corvettes, pinballs, saltwater aquarium. I could retire now and live in a much bigger home if I hadn't pissed away so much money. Now Im begging for buyers and hating life. I want out of the used car business. Im considering buying rent houses and becoming a slum lord. Problem is that if they don't pay I cant say GTFO, I have to take them to court. Im 50 and Im tired of the whole game. My 92 year old Grandfather is offering to give me a large sum of cash and I want to do something smart with it to help get myself out of slepping used cars.

Wow, your Grandfather is only 42 years older than you? GBYA. Startin' 'em early.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

2 chicks at the same time?

I thought the going rate was $1M.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

I thought the going rate was $1M.

Only if you marry one and have a kid.

#34 5 years ago

Hard question!! Some would say buy real estate! I have 1.5mil in the stock market and pull 45k per annum on that sum! Best to go to a financial expert! Not a Bank! Good luck!!!!

#35 5 years ago

I would just retire now. My wife works at our local hospital for our medical and and 250 clear would do me till I hit 62.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

That's almost literally what I did years ago. Had multiple cars (Corvettes, Vipers), 50+ pins, even multiple aquariums. Got rid of most of my "stuff" and invested in rental properties. I still have toys but I spend more of my time cleaning up my kids toys and less time working since I have extra passive income. But rental properties is still part of "the game" that you mention. I'm dealing with an eviction now and I swear the tenant is a professional and knows how to work the system. It can be frustrating but there are many worse ways to try to make money. Although right now would be a crazy time to try and invest heavy in the RE market.

That said, I'm 33 and so our timelines are a little different. Maybe invest in a business that you would enjoy? Either your own or a joint venture, depending on who you know/would be comfortable with.

#37 5 years ago

ReplayRyan. I would like to talk to you and ask some questions. What happens if you just change the locks

#38 5 years ago
Winning650pw (resized).jpgWinning650pw (resized).jpg
#40 5 years ago

Spend it all on Helios and Matheson stock. Movie Pass stock.

#41 5 years ago

Why not do the sensible thing and talk to a financial advisor?

#42 5 years ago

I would invest in a cannabis business the green Rush of the 21st Century.

#43 5 years ago

Buy a small business that makes about 100k in profit per year. Keep your current job and pay someone 50k to do all of the day to day stuff.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

pretty sure if you use long division you could apply the example to your unique situation...so $4 in early 70's becomes a cool $35 now

My math says $4 in the 70s is $350 now...

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

Spend it all on Helios and Matheson stock. Movie Pass stock.

LOL - that would get you SOOOOO many shares.....

#46 5 years ago

Pork bellies and frozen orange juice futures of course.

#47 5 years ago

John Deere

#48 5 years ago

With rising fed rates coupled with global debt levels and an inverted yield curve, the stock market is due for down. The market cycle is well ahead of itself. Pin is no exception, if not a direct indicator. The best application of a reasonable sum of money is to pay all debts off and invest in self. A roll of the dice on self incorporation the moment the end of market decline is in sight. It could be years. A decade even.

One thing is for certain, liquidity in fiat currency is the saddest of all endeavours. If it were me, I'd invest in what the elite do, property in the nether-regions. Perhaps New Zealand.

#49 5 years ago

If you want to rent houses, the key is to not be a slum lord. Do your research on your tenants before you let them move in. Don’t rent to the first guy waving cash in your face. If they don’t have a bank account and can’t provide you a cheque then don’t even look at them as tenants. There are way more honest people out there then crooks looking to rip you off.

#50 5 years ago

Put it all towards the mortgage. Nothing is guaranteed more than knocking down all that future interest.

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-someone-handed-you-250k-how-would-you-invest-it-/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.