Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by halpain24
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

If I'm looking to buy and the seller has no feedback/ratings/reputation what is norm in their first transaction. On other non-pin sites with items of small magnitude buyer would have to ship first but I'm not sure how it works here. I'm a new buyer and most sellers have no reputation for some of the machines I'm looking at . Any advice greatly appreciated.

#2 8 years ago

Go check the machine in person and bring cash.

#3 8 years ago

Thank you but this would be a distance purchase OR most likely US to CDA purchase.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

yep, this^
    only safe option. If you want to have it shipped search their previous for sale threads and get a lot of pictures. Here's a thread to help you out.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#5 8 years ago

Talk to them on the phone. Get a 'feel' for how they represent themselves. Gauge how much they know about the hobby. Get detailed photos.

If you feel 'off' about any of the above, I'd pass on the game. Plenty of machines out there.

#6 8 years ago

Personally, I'd pass then, especially if you can't get a handful of people to vouch for them. I've had iffy purchases from people with great reputations, so you're really putting yourself in a precarious spot with a seller with no rep.

Although I've never sold anything, I could easily get 5 people on here who know me and/or know my machines to tell you it's a safe bet. If they don't have that, you're probably on the losing side of that transaction.

#7 8 years ago

Dont do it!!!

#8 8 years ago

I used to trade softball bats on a forum with the approach you stated. Here there isn't a feedback system. While I would ship a $100 bat as a pure gamble I would never ship a $1000's pin before cleared payment. I also have never had one shipped to me that wasn't from a distributor. I have the opinion that I might as well make a vacation out of picking up a pin.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from halpain24:

I used to trade softball bats on a forum with the approach you stated. Here there isn't a feedback system. While I would ship a $100 bat as a pure gamble I would never ship a $1000's pin before cleared payment. I also have never had one shipped to me that wasn't from a distributor. I have the opinion that I might as well make a vacation out of picking up a pin.

Yes I've probably sold $5,000 plus in softball bats over the years. Feedback exists there and there is a feedback system here as well so I'm not sure by your comment "here there isn't a feedback system" ??

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/tbatti/stats

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from TBatti:

Feedback exists there and there is a feedback system here as well so I'm not sure by your comment "here there isn't a feedback system" ??
    https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/tbatti/stats

Probably because no one knows aboot it...I didn't till now.

#11 8 years ago

A lot of people don't use the feedback system unfortunately. Lots of stories about people buying their first pin and end up shipping a game with greatly overstated condition. If you want to avoid that first story, pick one up in person...

#12 8 years ago

I would never do it Unless they had alot of long term member to vouch for them and then I'd still be very hesitant. one persons mint game is another person's players condition .

#13 8 years ago

What game is it you are looking for?

Lots of people local to you in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-in-canada-have-any-pins-they-want-to-sell/page/57#post-2615429

#14 8 years ago

You can sum up all these replies in one word: RUN.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Talk to them on the phone. Get a 'feel' for how they represent themselves. Gauge how much they know about the hobby. Get detailed photos.
    If you feel 'off' about any of the above, I'd pass on the game. Plenty of machines out there.

This. I buy lots of machines sight unseen. Pics and the phone conversation are equally as important. Get references if possible. I also ask a ton of questions about "the bad" making sure they absorb the fact that I understand these are older games, final sales and I don't want any surprises. Have them take super detailed pics of bad stuff. A good hobbyist will gladly disclose the bad as well as the good because they don't want to tarnish their reputation. Make sure you ask about electronic hacks/connector issues, corrosion etc

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

And pack some heat.

#17 8 years ago

You can equally request video conferencing via google hagouts, skype etc.. ask for High Resolution pictures. I fyou are not happy with the pics...ask for more until you are happy. Ask for multiple angles...

#18 8 years ago

I'm looking at WW. There are a couple for sale right now but are in the U.S.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from TBatti:

I'm looking at WW. There are a couple for sale right now but are in the U.S.

Here's my old whirlwind up for sale on CL here in rochester ny. I did a ton to it before I sold it to him and know all about it if that helps
    rochester.craigslist.org link

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

Here's my old Whirlwind up for sale on CL here in rochester ny. I did a ton to it before I sold it to him and know all about it if that helps
    rochester.craigslist.org link

Yes he has an ad here as well. It is one of the pins I'm considering. $2,600 seems a bit much.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from TBatti:

Yes he has an ad here as well. It is one of the pins I'm considering. $2,600 seems a bit much.

With those worthless pics is sure is

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And pack some heat.

We don't do that in Canada

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And pack some heat.

In Canada, so I think he'll be limited to bringing a torch or an oven.

OP, I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't check out in person and it seems like a lot of extra problems crop up because of bad packing/shipping. Not worth it.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

That and their superior health care system is why Canadians have the longest life expectancy in the world.

#25 8 years ago

Ratings? That's newly implemented.

Just search the history of pinside to figure out your opinion of the seller. Trust your judgment. If you are lucky the seller has sold some thing on Pinside before. If not, see what kind of posts he's made. This approach has worked a few times for me so far.

-mof

#26 8 years ago

I just saw the new ratings system myself, lol.

But even if someone had great ratings, that does not mean that their account could not be hijacked.

ALWAYS use an IES.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

With those worthless pics is sure is

i have hi res pictures if someone was actually interested. he's a good dude. he's just not a good hi-res dude

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Ratings? That's newly implemented.
    Just search the history of pinside to figure out your opinion of the seller. Trust your judgment. If you are lucky the seller has sold some thing on Pinside before. If not, see what kind of posts he's made. This approach has worked a few times for me so far.
    -mof

for a transaction that cannot be made in person, nothing beats a conversation. you can read, investigate, hypothesize and form opinions for hours. or have a 10 minute conversation...

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

Take along a hockey stick then.

#30 8 years ago

I just bought a machine unseen from a non-pinsider. I spent quite a bit time listening to the person to determine if there were any red flags. I also received a reference from a local pinball repair person who has a site and is known in that community. I followed up on that reference before I sent payment.

If they are not a well known pinsider and if you can't get any reference, skip it.

#31 8 years ago

Maybe a shout out to people in the area to go look at it for you?

#32 8 years ago

The rating system here is brand new. There are probably a lot of people on here who have TONS of positive feedback on deals but no ratings. Just search the history of the user.

#33 8 years ago

Don't worry, no matter what you'll have board damage and some switch errors...unless it's an EM. Crap shoot every time unless you can see it in person--or you can buy unseen from an amusement company and get a nice machine but pay $1000 premium.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Probably because no one knows aboot it...I didn't till now.

This, mainly the fact that it is new. It isn't populated like softball fans. Also there's the fact that even with all the great people I have bought pins from and gotten to know, trusting them with proper shipping preparations on a pin is a lot different than sliding a bat in a box with some bubble wrap.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-seller-has-no-ratings-what-is-the-best-approach and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.