(Topic ID: 125277)

If Pro-Football (1973) was a modern game...

By NicoVolta

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ccotenj
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I found this video which contrasts the difference between Pro-Football and a hypothetical modern version...

I think it is interesting because although the modern version is more immediately arresting, I think it would get old pretty quickly. Whereas the simple bell and chime sounds never seem to lose their fundamental appeal.

Clearly, the more complexity you add, the more difficult it becomes to tie it all together into an experience which begs to be repeated.

#2 8 years ago

Another thought: What if the machine could start in the mode of your choice? That might be interesting.

#3 8 years ago

That's a Gottlieb machine but it shows a Bally coin door on it.

#4 8 years ago

Technology was so bad in the 70s that machines couldn't even be placed in buildings, they were restricted to black voids with uniform lighting.

#5 8 years ago

Technology was so bad back in the 70s that people actually talked to the person in front of them and had to wait to get home to talk on the phone.

#6 8 years ago

Hey, Em pinball parts got us to the moon didn't they?

#7 8 years ago

I got car sick watching that video and threw up a little.

#8 8 years ago

i like having this game just to watch newcomers try to find how to start the ball what with no shooter rod and all.. for that its worth it!

#9 8 years ago

I think that the Big Cow Bell on this machine is the Best bell sound on any em pin. when you burry the ball in those vari targets for a touchdown or shoot it thru the spinner and that Big Bell chimes six time in a row you know you have done something good.

Great game as it is.

Brian

#10 8 years ago

I thought the newer version of Pro Football
was GTB Gridiron from 1977.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Bribo13:

I think that the Big Cow Bell on this machine is the Best bell sound on any em pin. when you burry the ball in those vari targets for a touchdown or shoot it thru the spinner and that Big Bell chimes six time in a row you know you have done something good.
Great game as it is.
Brian

yupper... nothing like scoring a touchdown and hearing that bell fire 6 times...

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from singlezero:

i like having this game just to watch newcomers try to find how to start the ball what with no shooter rod and all.. for that its worth it!

y'know... i probably shouldn't admit this, being the number 1 pro-football fan on pinside...

but if i've been playing other machines for awhile, i will invariably reach for the shooter rod when i fire up PF...

interestingly enough, the converse also happens... if i've had an extended session of PF, i'll try to shoot the ball on other machines by pressing the right flipper...

creature of habit, i am...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saratoga Springs, NY
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-pro-football-1973-was-a-modern-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.