(Topic ID: 139848)

If pins were suddenly 30% more would you buy?

By SuperPinball

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you accept paying 30% more for pins?”

• Yah I love pinball and I would pay 30% or more on pins 15 votes
      6%
    • Hell no, pin prices are high as it is. 30% more means I'm out 164 votes
      66%
    • I will be selective and buy fewer but hit titles only 53 votes
      21%
    • other 15 votes
      6%

(247 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dr__seuss_(resized).jpg
    33563210_(resized).jpg
    download_2.jpg
    projects.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

It's unfortunate that the Canadian dollar has tanked in the last year or two resulting in the Canadian dollar needing about 30% more to buy 1 U.S. dollar. As a result, there has been an increasing trend to price pins in U.S. dollars in the Canadian pin economy. I'm curious if the U.S. economy would support such an increase and what the pinball landscape would look like if pin prices were suddenly 30% more.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

So you mean that used games which were already in Canada also have gone up 30% in order to match what you would have to pay for the same title from the US? Wow, that really sucks. I feel for you guys.

yes all games are 30% more not just NIB.

#8 8 years ago

The main problem is that our disposable income has not increased 30% more. I'm seeing more and more pins in Canada pricing in U.S. Dollars.

#17 8 years ago

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly, I mean 30% on top of the already trend of 5-10% usual increase across all pins NIB, HUO, SS, EM's etc.

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

And therein lies the rub, any Canadian sitting on pinballs right now has a "US asset" that is worth 30% more and can be sold back to the states at 30% profit.
    A lot of Canadians have done VERY WELL this past year with shares in us stocks, that they now get a 30% bonus on if they were to sell them.
    But we only look at 1 side of the equation, we don't look at how we benefit from this.

The only benefit I see will be in the immediate short term if you have a lot of pins in your possession. So you and all your fellow Canadians decide to "cash out" and get a 30% return on your "stock" then what? There will be no pins in the Canadian market, pins that cost 30% more if you can find any left and essentially a collapse of the pinball hobby in Canada.
    Reading what others have posted, this does not appear to be a problem confined to Canada only. It seems that Australia and Europe are feeling it too. In the 90's, one of Williams' biggest customers was Europe. I would guess that a large chunk of sales from Stern and JJP are also to countries other than the US. If the pinball market outside the US dies, as the poll suggests almost 90% will either reduce or drop out, that will ultimately hurt Stern and JJP. At this point Frolic, I don't see too many benefits from this.

3 months later
    #107 8 years ago

lol

Sadly I suppose I should change the topic to "If Pins Were Suddenly 45% More Would You buy?"

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-pins-were-suddenly-30-more-would-you-buy?tu=superpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.