(Topic ID: 139848)

If pins were suddenly 30% more would you buy?

By SuperPinball

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you accept paying 30% more for pins?”

• Yah I love pinball and I would pay 30% or more on pins 15 votes
      6%
    • Hell no, pin prices are high as it is. 30% more means I'm out 164 votes
      66%
    • I will be selective and buy fewer but hit titles only 53 votes
      21%
    • other 15 votes
      6%

(247 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dr__seuss_(resized).jpg
    33563210_(resized).jpg
    download_2.jpg
    projects.jpg
    There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 8 years ago

I would just buy beaters and restore them (which I do now, but not exclusively). Maybe that would force others into trying their hand at bringing an old machine back to life.

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I would just buy beaters and restore them (which I do now, but not exclusively). Maybe that would force others into trying their hand at bringing an old machine back to life.

That's how I built my collection - but it seems less likely that someone can do that these days. There are only a finite supply of "beaters"...I feel like most of them have been gobbled up by this point and repaired/restored. When they go back out for sale, they're nicer games at a higher price. My friends and I were buying games like crazy from around '07-'11. Every day there were tons of routed/project pins on Craigslist at great prices...between the collectors and flippers, we gobbled those games up...and now there is pretty much nothing. When I look at Craigslist, it's the same $4000 shitty Flintstones that has been listed for 5 years lol

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Stern Pros at the Ottawa Show: TWD Pro, Mustang Pro, Kiss Pro were listed at $6775 taxes included. MET Pro was listed at $6475. (CDN dollars)

In CND??? Then I don't really understand the complaining - if you recalculate those values back to USD it's approx. 4.7KUSD, that's prices we can only dream about in Europe.

SM VE is 8.225EUR over here which is currently 8.955USD, MET Pro is 5.995EUR = 6.477USD.
    Comparing local (Canadian or AUS) dollar prices to USdollar prices makes no sense at all. Just because a Stern Prem. is 120.000 pesos in Mexico that doesn't make it any more expensive than 6.500USD, it's just in a different currency.

#104 8 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

In CND??? Then I don't really understand the complaining - if you recalculate those values back to USD it's approx. 4.7KUSD, that's prices we can only dream about in Europe.

That was in september / open box / the game that got played 1000s of time at the show. now you can add another $1K to the price.

#105 8 years ago

Sucks that the price go's up if you don't have cash to afford the jump. They are very complicated machines with a lot of expensive parts. You might not be able to buy as many games as you once did because of the price jump.

But the thing. Some of us have spent a heck of a lot of money on our collections. What I'm sure most of us are most concerned about is not how much our next game will cost. But will the market drop while we $1,000's invested in them.

I don't really mind paying more for games as long as there nice. There has been so much put into some of these games. MM going past $13,000 was excessive of course. At least it's coming back down.

#106 8 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

It's I'm curious if the U.S. economy would support such an increase and what the pinball landscape would look like if pin prices were suddenly 30% more.

Hi, Gary Stern.

#107 8 years ago

lol

Sadly I suppose I should change the topic to "If Pins Were Suddenly 45% More Would You buy?"

#108 8 years ago

If the pin is 30% percent better then maybe so. I will evaluate each pinball to price and determine if the price is fair (or at least what I would be willing to spend on it).

#109 8 years ago

Being Canadian, if i was paid in full for TH, I would be seriously debating cancelling my order and pocket a 30% gain on the exchange rate. I wonder how many outside the U.S. are considering this?

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

Being Canadian, if i was paid in full for TH, I would be seriously debating cancelling my order and pocket a 30% gain on the exchange rate. I wonder how many outside the U.S. are considering this?

You have come this far. Seems like you should wait these final months for the pin, play the hell out of it and then sell it for 30% more than you paid for it.

#111 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

You have come this far. Seems like you should wait these final months for the pin, play the hell out of it and then sell it for 30% more than you paid for it.

It would be a hard decision, no doubt. But having to pay the taxes on 11,600- 13,000 CAD$ for the pin would probably sway me in the direction of a refund.

#112 8 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

I truly believe that we have seen the last of sub $5k NIB machines

But have we seen the last $5 sub at Subway? Perhaps Jared can chime in.

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

Me, I made 3K on my hobbit refund as I'm not really a fan of the seriers so I wasn't going to spend 11K on it but I'm still in on Aliens because well its Aliens, the good part is just around when it released our dollar will be in the crapper to the degree that if its not amazing well hey I just made 5G's but if its so good that I don't mind the 12.5K or so price tag then its off the charts cool. I win either way.

#114 8 years ago

Well after they figured out that the $5 foot long was only 11.5 " they kind of dropped it.

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But have we seen the last $5 sub at Subway? Perhaps Jared can chime in.

Jared is busy dealing with 18 inchers these days...

#116 8 years ago

I will never pay $13000 for a pinball machine. The wife would love The Hobbit and I'm sure Ghostbusters but I've got to draw the line somewhere. I Can't justify to myself anything over $10k and currently haven't spend more than $8k on any game. It really does suck but it's life.

#117 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I will never pay $13000 for a pinball machine

I paid in full for Alien LE back when our dollar was close to par and also recieved a discount at that time for full payment but its still tough as the return now is several thousand dollars, I just try to tell myself I only paid 7500. It better be amazing, I hope so. "Its not a lie, if you believe it"

33563210_(resized).jpg33563210_(resized).jpg

#118 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I've got to draw the line somewhere. I Can't justify to myself anything over $10k and currently haven't spend more than $8k on any game. It really does suck but it's life.

I recommend to read this book:

dr__seuss_(resized).jpgdr__seuss_(resized).jpg

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-pins-were-suddenly-30-more-would-you-buy/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.