(Topic ID: 281334)

If operators aren't going to maintain their games...

By N101AA

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3E6F1A43-A6A9-44FB-98D3-18C1028ECBF1 (resized).jpeg
    4lxp9m (resized).jpg
    tenor.gif
    IMG_20200903_095045 (resized).jpg
    DSCN7326 (resized).JPG
    2C2975DA-8BA3-4941-9A85-C2809BDAD081 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    0A538346-2FCB-473F-B198-6DA573B6DB96 (resized).jpeg

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

If I were in charge of the universe, any operators that do not maintain their games at public locations should have their games confiscated and given to an owner that will actually take care of them.

Last month while on vacation in IL, I went to a place in a small town that had about 10 games. The most recent comments about the place on the Pinside map and Pinball Map site reported in 2017 that the games were in poor condition. During my visit I found the games were even in worse shape and have received zero attention the past several years.

Fast forward to today while on vacation I found a place with 3 games in a small town in OR. They were reported to be in poor condition in 2019 and today I found their condition has not changed and they are clearly not maintained at all.

If you aren't going to maintain your games on public location, then they need to go to a better home...

#2 3 years ago

Did you tell them at the locations? Was there a number or decal to call the operator? Or are you just complaining in general?

#3 3 years ago

Not your game. Not your problem. Don’t drop quarters if the games suck.

#4 3 years ago

Is it just me, or has there been a war against private property/ownership in the last few years? If someone wants to light their rightfully owned property on fire, then smear the ashes on their face like war paint, that's THEIR business.

Me? I worry about important things. Like when the McRib will be coming back.

Good day.

#5 3 years ago

People get crazier and crazier on here as time goes on. Not your property, not your problem. Leave it at that.

#6 3 years ago

(edited)

#7 3 years ago

I went to a restaurant not far from my home specifically to check out 3 pinball machines, that I saw were at the location on the pinside map. The flippers had no rubber on 2 machines and one flipper had been without rubber for so long that the tip of the flipper bat was broken off. The playfields were so dirty that it was hard to see the art in some areas. Reviews that I saw online said that most of the features on the machines did not work, so I did not test any of that. I called the vendor number on the machines and asked if they might want to sell the machines, since they were so neglected. I was told that the "route guy" goes over the machines weekly and that they don't sell machines that are on a route. They wanted me to come to their showroom to look at new machines instead. I just giggled at that and said thanks, but no thanks. I am guessing that the restaurant owner specifically requested pinball machines and they complied. After many years, they are still there, but no one cares that they don't work very well or not at all. Just a guess on my part...

#8 3 years ago

Dent00 , you can only mean The Bulldog, I'm guessing! Really wish that Starship Troopers worked.

#9 3 years ago

Simple. Just buy your own games and maintain them to your hearts desire.

To use the cargument, I don't care if people maintain them or not as long when their brakes fail or their wheels fall off it doesn't affect me.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I worry about important things. Like when the McRib will be coming back.
    Good day.

I think I read it's coming back soon. I worked at a McDonalds when I was a teenager....if you want a fun game, guess what it's made of...hint.. think smaller...think more legs

#11 3 years ago

Tell the location. It’s frustrating for operators who care. Typically the large successful operators are the ones who could care less about maintaining their locations.

The location probably knows nothing about pinball and could care less they just want the largest split.

Tell them that you won’t be back because the machine took your money blah blah

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from mizzou:

I think I read it's coming back soon. I worked at a McDonalds when I was a teenager....if you want a fun game, guess what it's made of...hint.. think smaller...think more legs

I guess pork

0A538346-2FCB-473F-B198-6DA573B6DB96 (resized).jpeg0A538346-2FCB-473F-B198-6DA573B6DB96 (resized).jpeg
    #13 3 years ago

Potato chips are p good. Not a huge fan of BBQ ones tho?

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from N101AA:

If I were in charge of the universe, any operators that do not maintain their games at public locations should have their games confiscated and given to an owner that will actually take care of them.
    Last month while on vacation in IL, I went to a place in a small town that had about 10 games. The most recent comments about the place on the Pinside map and Pinball Map site reported in 2017 that the games were in poor condition. During my visit I found the games were even in worse shape and have received zero attention the past several years.
    Fast forward to today while on vacation I found a place with 3 games in a small town in OR. They were reported to be in poor condition in 2019 and today I found their condition has not changed and they are clearly not maintained at all.
    If you aren't going to maintain your games on public location, then they need to go to a better home...

Let's go cargument here; If you become in charge of the universe, please apply this to cars as well. I've got my eye on a few that are not being kept up. If they were given to me, I'd take care of them.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I guess pork
    [quoted image]

"Pork".........suuuuure

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from EasternBloc:

dent00 , you can only mean The Bulldog, I'm guessing! Really wish that Starship Troopers worked.

You are a very perceptive person.
    However, it's really not a problem for me if their machines don't work very well.
    I can make my own machine work perfectly all by myself.
    If they fixed the machines or put in new ones, perhaps people like us would actually come to play them and occasionally eat at the restaurant.
    I did not bother the person that answered the phone when I called with all that nuisance talk.

#17 3 years ago

I feel like its on you. You saw the reviews before you went. You knew it was probably going to be bad when you showed up.

#18 3 years ago

Good day.

December 2nd, 2020. Nationwide.

#threadwin

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from mizzou:

"Pork".........suuuuure

"Pork product"

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
    #20 3 years ago

I get both sides of the token. Obviously, it's nice to take pride in your work. But, for operators, this is a business. Pinballs, traditionally, make less than anything else they have on route. Most operators only carry pins to appease businesses so that they can get pool tables, juke boxes, cranes, etc. into a location that actually makes them money and doesn't require constant maintenance. The barcades can do really well off of pins, but your pizza restaurants and hometown bars with a pin in the corner probably only make an operator about $10-20 a week after the split. For $40-80 a month, they aren't going to want to do much more than make sure it accepts quarters and the flippers work.

#21 3 years ago

I don't think anyone should have their property taken away. Operators should maintain their games though. If I put money in something and it doesn't work...that's a problem. Minor issues can be over looked, but not getting what you're paying for is an issue. If you ordered a burger and fries and only got the burger, you'd probably complain right? Or does it take not getting the whole meal to be a problem?

"Simple. Just buy your own games and maintain them to your hearts desire.".

Some of can't afford to do that and have to spend $20 at a time to enjoy playing newer pins. Perfect example of a comment that fits my "us and them" complaint about the users here. Not all of us can afford pins, but the ones who can act like everyone can. I'll most likely never own a newer Stern or Jersey Jack. I'm fine with that, but these types of comments are just out of touch and come off as elitist. I get what you're saying on an objective level, but it doesn't come off in a good way.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from N101AA:

Here's what I suggest. Take your 2 games and put them out on location for the general public to play and show us how it's done. Let us know where they are so we can abuse the Hell out of them.

I had 10 games out on route pre-Covid and it was a PITA keeping them all running and clean. I didn't have 24/7 access to the facility and had to clean and maintain them when the places were open. People damage them, flipper buttons break, balls get stuck, switches stop registering, lamps burn out, games start resetting, fuses blow, flippers need rebuilt, plastics break, screws come loose, on and on. And that stuff never all happen at once so you can take care of them in the same day. My closest location was 35 minutes and the other was 45 minutes away.

Sure I tried to keep them maintained and clean. But it's harder than you think. It's not like when you have 2 games sitting in your house to keep up with. I get your frustration and I've seen games like that too. Either route your games and be a solution to the problem or just don't drop quarters in them.

#23 3 years ago

I went to a McDonalds and they gave me stale fries.

So, I'm going to confiscate that location and that will mean McRibs and fresh hot fries for all!

#24 3 years ago

Poor op was just upset about his experience and everyone jumps on him.

Personally, I dont know why pinball machines are ever on location. They have like an 85% chance to be not working perfectly.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

He knew the games were going to be in bad shape. Shows up. They’re in bad shape. Cries about it to the internet. Proclaims himself rightful owner of property. What did you expect?

#26 3 years ago

I for one hate i when i spot a pin on the map, and drive there and its a pos!
    Sure a broken switch or a little flaw or dirt isnt the problem, but the toataly black playfield with missing flipperrubber and 10 switches not working is just rediculous
    So update the map if you find one!

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Personally, I dont know why pinball machines are ever on location. They have like an 85% chance to be not working perfectly.

Yeah based on his comment it's silly since he knew, but it's a legit complaint about some owner/operators.
    If OP were so inclined he could ask to speak to the owner of them so he could offer to buy them. Might get a good deal if the person is just tired of them taking up space and not making money.

#28 3 years ago

I, for one, think that anyone who finds a game, whether in public or in a private collection, dirty, abused, neglected and generally unloved, should be able to immediately confiscate said game for there own use and enjoyment.

Better go, I have some games to maintain now.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from mizzou:

"Pork".........suuuuure

Could be.. just doesnt say what parts. snout? bunghole?

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So, I'm going to confiscate that location and that will mean McRibs and fresh hot fries for all!

Make sure you post the address! Got to love McRibs and hot fresh fries.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I went to a McDonalds and they gave me stale fries.

Nobody in the history of the universe has been denied when they returned old fries and said they wanted good ones.

SHow some initiative !

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Could be.. just doesnt say what parts. snout? bunghole?

2C2975DA-8BA3-4941-9A85-C2809BDAD081 (resized).jpeg2C2975DA-8BA3-4941-9A85-C2809BDAD081 (resized).jpeg
    #33 3 years ago
    Quoted from shiffdog:

[quoted image]

Is that what they use to form those "bones" on a mcrib patty?

I admit I kinda like the mcrib. Slathered in that sugary sauce, with the pickles and onions. May have to eat one, I got a road trip coming up.

#34 3 years ago

That's when it's time to make an offer on the game, and take it home with you. Maybe the operator would be willing to let it go cheap since it's not earning anything for him.

#35 3 years ago

Nothing new. The 90's were brutal.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody in the history of the universe has been denied when they returned old fries and said they wanted good ones.

SHow some initiative !

Yes, but for the first time in years I've made exceptions because of this pandemic. I go thru the drive thru and make it so I can barely reach that window.Try to go the whole six feet.

And when I do get home, I feel fortunate to have fries at all and not end up deathly ill.

#37 3 years ago

Let the cashbox do the talk. If the operator is happy with the money he makes while not having to deal with maintenance, it looks like a valid business model.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Personally, I dont know why pinball machines are ever on location.

It's in their history. On location came long before pinball as we know it today.

#39 3 years ago

Now you've done it! You guys made me hungry. Again.

DSCN7326 (resized).JPGDSCN7326 (resized).JPG
    #40 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It's in their history. On location came long before pinball as we know it today.

Oh yes. But it is clear why and how arcades dominated pinball. So much more simple to keep running.

#41 3 years ago
    IMG_20200903_095045 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_095045 (resized).jpg
    #42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Make sure you post the address! Got to love McRibs and hot fresh fries.

Speaking of fries and since no one gives a shit about their health anymore anyways... if they did they wouldn't be at McDs to begin with.

For a marketing gimmick McDonalds should offer their "original style" fries with Beef Tallow. They would sell like crazy.

Their fries were so much better back in the day before all the dirty hippies ruined it with their vegetarian whining.

Greasy , beef tallow and oversalted is the way you want them.

#43 3 years ago

Color reversed pac-man, love it

#44 3 years ago

Speaking of fries and since no one gives a shit about their health anymore anyways... if they did they wouldn't be at McDs to begin with.
    For a marketing gimmick McDonalds should offer their "original style" fries with Beef Tallow. They would sell like crazy.
    Their fries were so much better back in the day before all the dirty hippies ruined it with their vegetarian whining.

It wasn't the vegetarians that killed the beef tallow, it was the general trend against trans fats. It was mostly lead by one dude who made a small fortune on his own and had a vendetta against McDonalds and other major sources of trans fat because he was pissed he had a heart attack as an otherwise healthy middle aged man.

#45 3 years ago

FYI. Buy one get one for $1 is back! Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Filet o Fish, or 10 piece Chicken McNuggets.

Disclaimer- price and participation may vary by location and how hungry you are. $1 item must be of equal or lessor value.

#46 3 years ago

Someone should start a movement or a gofundme. Bring back lard! Living past 70 is overated anyway.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Someone should start a movement or a gofundme. Bring back lard! Living past 70 is overated anyway.

Go shopping in a carniceria. All you can buy is lard.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Go shopping in a carniceria. All you can buy is lard.

Perhaps that is why real Mexican food tastes so good.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps that is why real Mexican food tastes so good.

For the record, I really dig that Salsa and Beer place in N Hollywood. Waaaay better than most of the joints here.

#50 3 years ago

Good day.

December 2nd!

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-operators-aren-t-going-to-maintain-their-games?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.