(Topic ID: 281334)

If operators aren't going to maintain their games...

By N101AA

67 days ago

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 48 days ago by captainadam_21
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3E6F1A43-A6A9-44FB-98D3-18C1028ECBF1 (resized).jpeg
    4lxp9m (resized).jpg
    tenor.gif
    IMG_20200903_095045 (resized).jpg
    DSCN7326 (resized).JPG
    2C2975DA-8BA3-4941-9A85-C2809BDAD081 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    0A538346-2FCB-473F-B198-6DA573B6DB96 (resized).jpeg

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps that is why real Mexican food tastes so good.

Because it’s all cooked in lard, salt, and sugar?

You may be on to something.

#52 66 days ago
    tenor.gif
    #53 66 days ago

Vacation in Illinois, lmao

#54 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

"Pork product"[quoted image]

#55 66 days ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It wasn't the vegetarians that killed the beef tallow, it was the general trend against trans fats. It was mostly lead by one dude who made a small fortune on his own and had a vendetta against McDonalds and other major sources of trans fat because he was pissed he had a heart attack as an otherwise healthy middle aged man.

What a dickhole...

I had always heard it was the vegetarians because they assumed it was a potato and didnt know it had beef in it.

I am enjoying the derailment of this thread either way.

#56 66 days ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

When you spend a lifetime in place that almost always has great weather, Illinois is a perspective vacation destination. Hell, I'd even go to Wisconsin or even Indiana just to change it up.

#57 66 days ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

The original Inland Empire....

#58 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

FYI. Buy one get one for $1 is back! Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Filet o Fish, or 10 piece Chicken McNuggets.
    Disclaimer- price and participation may vary by location and how hungry you are. $1 item must be of equal or lessor value.

Not valid at Airport or Toll Road Service Areas for sure.....

#59 66 days ago
    Quoted from Teamhex:

Yeah based on his comment it's silly since he knew, but it's a legit complaint about some owner/operators.
    If OP were so inclined he could ask to speak to the owner of them so he could offer to buy them. Might get a good deal if the person is just tired of them taking up space and not making money.

Ugh. More like a 100 percent chance you will be lucky if they are 85 percent Working. Perfect? Come on now. Even go!e games are not usually perfect.

#60 66 days ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Speaking of fries and since no one gives a shit about their health anymore anyways... if they did they wouldn't be at McDs to begin with.
    For a marketing gimmick McDonalds should offer their "original style" fries with Beef Tallow. They would sell like crazy.
    Their fries were so much better back in the day before all the dirty hippies ruined it with their vegetarian whining.
    Greasy , beef tallow and oversalted is the way you want them.

Hear, Hear!! With an emphasis on the extra salt. Under salted fries are an absolute crime against humanity.

#61 66 days ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

LOL. Everything else is broken and still sucking money in this state, why should the pins be any different.

#62 66 days ago

Wohoo

#63 66 days ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Ugh. More like a 100 percent chance you will be lucky if they are 85 percent Working. Perfect? Come on now. Even go!e games are not usually perfect.

Wait, I thought this was the McRib thread!

#64 66 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The original Inland Empire....

Do they have any places like Temecula there?

#65 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Do they have any places like Temecula there?

Cairo, Illinois is similar to Rancho Cucamonga, not. Actually, Schaumburg is pretty nice. But no view of Mt. Baldy.

Besides the state Motto, Slogan and Nickname, In the World Almanac, Illinois was defined as "The Inland Empire". To be fair, the last time I ever looked at one was probably around 1975.

#66 66 days ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

LOL. Everything else is broken and still sucking money in this state, why should the pins be any different.

True! Leave it @ that!

#67 66 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:Besides the state Motto, Slogan and Nickname, In the World Almanac, Illinois was defined as "The Inland Empire". To be fair, the last time I ever looked at one was probably around 1975.

It's hard to imagine the days of Al Capone when your only point of reference is Pancho Villa. Or José Castro and Pío Pico.

#68 66 days ago

6 years ago I was glad that 911 was still there, in a dirty dark crazy gameroom in Siler City. Even though the upper rubber was gone and one slingshot was exposed I enjoyed playing it, so much I went back the next day.
    It was satisfying when it hit posts with a thunk and the right flipper with a crack. It wasn't mine, it accepted quarters and the helicopter worked.
    If they have it out there I will play it, I don't care what condition it is in.

#69 66 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Cairo, Illinois is similar to Rancho Cucamonga, not. Actually, Schaumburg is pretty nice. But no view of Mt. Baldy.
    Besides the state Motto, Slogan and Nickname, In the World Almanac, Illinois was defined as "The Inland Empire". To be fair, the last time I ever looked at one was probably around 1975.

Haha, I just drove through Cairo, then drove 15 miles out of my way so I didn’t have to stay in Illinois

#70 66 days ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

This is probably not the regular but at the location I work at on the side, they put great emphasis in maintaining games. There are several that are almost always “perfect” (no switch errors, plays how you’d expect) and kept clean. Flipper rebuilds whenever needed. Due to COVID there are some that are not able to be kept at 100% due to what’s broken. It’s not in the best interest to go throwing $300 on one part (Looking at the Addams family THING) when they aren’t allowed to be fully open. However if something needs addressed, the game will be shut off until me or the other tech can get to it. A great majority of the games though are playing very very nice with no errors though.

#71 66 days ago

McDonalds should offer their "original style" fries with Beef Tallow. They would sell like crazy.
    Their fries were so much better back in the day before all the dirty hippies ruined it with their vegetarian whining.

4lxp9m (resized).jpg
    #72 66 days ago

how many vacations does the OP take?!

#73 66 days ago
    Quoted from N101AA:

I went to a place in a small town

The only way to get there is to go straight down
    There is no bathroom and there is no sink
    The water out of the tap is very hard to drink

#74 66 days ago

If you gentleman don't mind, could we get the topic back onto operators.

Maybe we should start a thread for our favorite pork(?) sandwich in another forum.

#75 66 days ago

Ignoring all the snarky and useless comments....
    For about 7 years had a number of games on location. More of a hobby thing
    rather than trying to get rich (HA!). Pins require quite a bit of maintenance, especially
    when first put out. I'd visit all 4 locations about twice a month or more. The usual
    routine was clean PF's, look for broken things on PF that would cause the ball
    to get stuck and make sure the machine is working properly and leave a few
    'free' credits.

Operators that don't maintain their machines are lousy businessmen (women)
    and I wonder how they make any money. I've seen my share of neglected
    machines and just shake my head and leave. Don't know why locations that
    host these operators don't kick them to the curb as they are loosing money too.

#76 66 days ago

Could be.. just doesnt say what parts. snout? bunghole?

….Pennsylvania Dutchman will eat everything except the squeal.

#77 66 days ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

The only way to get there is to go straight down
    There is no bathroom and there is no sink
    The water out of the tap is very hard to drink

Sounds like a song from silverchair

#78 66 days ago

Sounds like the Pinball map reporters are doing their job. If pin conditions are reported as poor and not updated it can be assumed that they still are in poor condition it seems.

#79 65 days ago

I put up a small whiteboard at my location. The header just reads “Pin————-Issue” with a line under it. Players can write issues they find. Most of my regulars have my phone number and we text regularly anyway, so they may let me know about it. I like to know what needs to be looked at, but it’s nice if people tell me in a helpful way. Don’t be a tool because something happened. Let me know, I’ll fix it and give you some credits or something next time I see you.

#80 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'd even go to Wisconsin or even Indiana just to change it up.

Now you’re just talking crazy. The leaf blowers gettin you down again?

#81 65 days ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Now you’re just talking crazy. The leaf blowers gettin you down again?

No, just the staleness of everything staying closed down for who knows how long. Except of course McDonalds and other food places. Amazing I haven't gained any weight in the last 8 months. At least the weather's nice. I was so bored I planted red onions, chiles, and tomatoes the last couple days.

#82 65 days ago
    Quoted from Jmckune:

This is probably not the regular but at the location I work at on the side, they put great emphasis in maintaining games. There are several that are almost always “perfect” (no switch errors, plays how you’d expect) and kept clean. Flipper rebuilds whenever needed. Due to COVID there are some that are not able to be kept at 100% due to what’s broken. It’s not in the best interest to go throwing $300 on one part (Looking at the Addams family THING) when they aren’t allowed to be fully open. However if something needs addressed, the game will be shut off until me or the other tech can get to it. A great majority of the games though are playing very very nice with no errors though.

I think I know the place your talking about. I noticed alittle change with the machines after covid but the games always play and work well.

#83 65 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

6 years ago I was glad that 911 was still there, in a dirty dark crazy gameroom in Siler City. Even though the upper rubber was gone and one slingshot was exposed I enjoyed playing it, so much I went back the next day.
    It was satisfying when it hit posts with a thunk and the right flipper with a crack. It wasn't mine, it accepted quarters and the helicopter worked.
    If they have it out there I will play it, I don't care what condition it is in.

I had a great game of left flipper broken but no tilt Starship Troopers at DIsney Swan and Dolphin a few years back. I actually got on the board!

#84 65 days ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

Maybe we should start a thread for our favorite pork(?) sandwich in another forum.

sure....

#85 65 days ago

That goes waaaaay back. Thanks for the memories.

I am Richard Millhouse Nixon. I am not a crook.

#86 65 days ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

I hate it when games don’t have any barbecued pork. Here’s an operator who maintains his game properly.

3E6F1A43-A6A9-44FB-98D3-18C1028ECBF1 (resized).jpeg
    #87 65 days ago

That is amazing. Who wouldn't love to have a Pingrill?

#88 65 days ago

I agree with the OP. I'm not sure why he's getting so much hate. Pins on location are the way to bring newbies into the hobby. If a person who's never played pinball walks up to a game all excited and puts quarters in and it doesn't even work, that leaves a sour taste in their mouth and they never want to play pinball again.

I personally saw this at a bowling alley near my house. There was a POTC in awful condition, looked filthy and the flippers barely worked. I saw a kid walk up to it, put money in and was initially excited. Then he tried to play, got frustrated, and walked away during the game, didn't even finish the game. I'll bet that kid never ever plays pinball again.

Poorly maintained, barely working, filthy games on location drive newbies away from our hobby.

We should all want pins on location to be clean and well maintained to give our hobby a good reputation.

#89 65 days ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

I agree with the OP. I'm not sure why he's getting so much hate. Pins on location are the way to bring newbies into the hobby. If a person who's never played pinball walks up to a game all excited and puts quarters in and it doesn't even work, that leaves a sour taste in their mouth and they never want to play pinball again.
    I personally saw this at a bowling alley near my house. There was a POTC in awful condition, looked filthy and the flippers barely worked. I saw a kid walk up to it, put money in and was initially excited. Then he tried to play, got frustrated, and walked away during the game, didn't even finish the game. I'll bet that kid never ever plays pinball again.
    Poorly maintained, barely working, filthy games on location drive newbies away from our hobby.
    We should all want pins on location to be clean and well maintained to give our hobby a good reputation.

I think it's because he said they should have the machine taken away.
    I understand the sentiment, and don't agree with that detail....but some operators took it personally. Maybe it hit a nerve

I agree though. If you can't come out, clean the machine, replace rubbers, and tweak it....that's a problem. Can't fix it? Remove it from service so you're not stealing people's money. Hell...at the very least put a sign on it that says out of order. I've seen both ends of the spectrum on this. Einstein's pub in Richmond, TX. 17+ machines all in great working order with mods and extras. Clearly the operator is into pinball. Then there's a local bowling alley that has a 1 pin, a family guy in terrible shape.

#90 65 days ago

Well, obviously the OP was being facetious, trying to make a point. We should all want location games that newbies pay money for to be in good working order, to leave a good impression on them, wanting them to play more, not less.

#91 65 days ago
    Quoted from N101AA:

If I were in charge of the universe, any operators that do not maintain their games at public locations should have their games confiscated and given to an owner that will actually take care of them.
    Last month while on vacation in IL, I went to a place in a small town that had about 10 games. The most recent comments about the place on the Pinside map and Pinball Map site reported in 2017 that the games were in poor condition. During my visit I found the games were even in worse shape and have received zero attention the past several years.
    Fast forward to today while on vacation I found a place with 3 games in a small town in OR. They were reported to be in poor condition in 2019 and today I found their condition has not changed and they are clearly not maintained at all.
    If you aren't going to maintain your games on public location, then they need to go to a better home...

You should go out and buy brand new games and take the accounts. It sounds like you have it all figured out.

#92 65 days ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

Well, obviously the OP was being facetious, trying to make a point. We should all want location games that newbies pay money for to be in good working order, to leave a good impression on them, wanting them to play more, not less.

Truth. If Ops and Locations don't care, they don't make money.

#93 64 days ago

well, newbies are still going to put in quarters not knowing any better, and then leaving frustrated.

#94 64 days ago

Maybe check with operator to sell you the game . If trashed out the game has made some money and time for a new title . Under the gunk layer maybe the playfield has not contacted a pinball for years .

Get these poor orphan pinballs better homes !

Shane

#95 64 days ago

McDonald's should also bring back the apple-pie eggrolls.

Those things were incredible.

#96 62 days ago

i have a fb page "Jack-foo-bar" set up specifically so players can report issues, no matter how small, about the games at Jackbar. A good operator, even if they're a regular player, recognizes that they don't play all the games all the time. Feedback is a must!!! We all know how easily and often things break or malfunction, and in no way is reflective of an operator's commitment or skill.

#97 61 days ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

i have a fb page "Jack-foo-bar" set up specifically so players can report issues

Why "foo"? FUBAR is one of the all-time great actual acronyms!

#98 61 days ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

it was actually set up by a close friend/player. i would've spelled it "FU". oh well...

#99 61 days ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

AND movie!

1 week later
    #100 48 days ago

McDonalds should offer their "original style" fries with Beef Tallow. They would sell like crazy.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/original-mcdonalds-french-fry-recipe

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.00
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D Tech. Pinball Parts
    $ 19.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 17.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 109.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 149.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 68.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Hardware
    Filament Printing
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Apron Envy
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    € 30.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Creo Pinball
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside